170 members have voted

1. 1. Who Was Saints Greatest Goalkeeper

• Shilton
    • Niemi
    • Flowers
    • Martin
    • Turner

The top 5 nominees, based on favourable mentions by posters, are:

Peter Shilton [1982-1987] 242 appearances.

Antti Niemi [2002-2006] 106 appearances.

Tim Flowers [1986-1993] 251 appearances.

Eric Martin [1967-1975] 289 appearances.

Ian Turner [1974-1978] 107 appearances.

There is no need to comment. Just vote.

Edited by St Landrew

Interesting looking at those appearances stats and didn't realise Niemi played so few and Shilton so many.

106 games in 3 1/2 seasons reflects those injury troubles that Niemi struggled with at times, compared to Shilt's 242 games in 5 seasons which must have been almost ever present.

Niemi would have got my vote had he not been up against someone of Shilton's stature.

What I liked about Shilton was the disgust he showed when he let a goal in. His face was just a picture - like he had been physically hurt by it going in. The look in his eyes was somewhere between someone being shot and thier grandmother being murdered.

He was outstanding and to have Flowers on the bench behind him for a season (was it longer) was just great.

Niemi was fantastic for us but for those under 30, I really have to say that very, very few keepers have or had Shilton's presence and aura. The following season after he left for Derby, Danny Wallace got on a one-on-one with Shilts and Shilts totally put Danny off. Can anyone remember Peter's performance at WHL in 86 for the Cup Semi? Shilts was awesome although ****erill nearly won when he hit the inside of the post. I had to be content with full match highlights the next day on ITV's The Big Match as I was too young to go but my old man went. Of course, that game is probably remembered for Mark Wright breaking his leg and missing Mexico 86 and also Kevin Bond's underhit backpass in extra time - never liked Kevin Bond or his Dad. Still, got there in 2003.

Shilton's fitness record was also better than that of Niemi although Antti remains one of my favourite Saints players, it's just that Peter Shilton was a world great. Memories of the early and mid-80s just take me back to a time when we had a club to be proud of in every sense, something the boardrooms of the last 20 years or so will never understand.

Didn't Shilton score a goal kick past Forsyth at the Dell for Leicester in the 1960s?

A drop kick (I think from the Archers, scoring at the Milton), whilst playing for Leicester in 1967. You're right in that Forsyth was in goal.

I'm sure I've seen it on the TV somewhere (will go and have a look around).

A drop kick (I think from the Archers, scoring at the Milton), whilst playing for Leicester in 1967. You're right in that Forsyth was in goal.

Pretty sure it was the other way round, from Milton to Archers... 41 years ago though!

Had a look on Youtube. Not found anything so far, but did find this priceless old gem. Wait until the end:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MUheHr8GNP0

Flowers for me...really suspect early on but became a truly great keeper. Shilts second, ignoring his ability off the pitch, but struggled later on when the ball was flying in at head height.

Flowers was only a kid when he joined from a bankrupt Wolves. You could see he was a great shotstopper right away but developed into a fine keeper. I do remember him covering for an injured Shilton and he got a knee in the jaw and had to taken off - V Arsenal I think. Colin Clarke had always fancied himself as a goalkeeper - oh dear....

Flowers was only a kid when he joined from a bankrupt Wolves. You could see he was a great shotstopper right away but developed into a fine keeper. I do remember him covering for an injured Shilton and he got a knee in the jaw and had to taken off - V Arsenal I think. Colin Clarke had always fancied himself as a goalkeeper - oh dear....

First ever post - here goes:

I think Flowers got sent off, whilst being carried off on a stretcher

Ron Reynolds. 1960's? Especially under floodlights. His warm-up consisted of squinting and massaging his eyes to get his early prototype contact lenses used to the glare. Priceless.

I do believe he had to look for them on the ground and Jimmy Gallagher, trainer/sponge man, tache and all would run to him with spare contact lense.

To many people over the age of 40 post on this messageboard in my opinion if Neimi has only 31% of the vote

Quite a few of us are over 60...

Sad, I know, but we love to reminisce (even about the third division south days).

To many people over the age of 40 post on this messageboard in my opinion if Neimi has only 31% of the vote

Shilton was one of the greatest English Goalkeeper only second to Gordon Banks in my opinion

Niemi very good but not in Shilton's class

I saw Reynolds let in 5 v Cardiff as he could not see the ball very well

Edited by John B

So you are telling me now you were not around in the Southern league days or our cup final against Sheff Utd? 1901/2? What a team.

That period of our history is as distant to me as Paine and Sydenham are to the younger contributers on here - quite a sobering thought!

My mother started supporting in 1923 and Charley Dominey was her favourite player until Terry Paine and MLT came along.

That period of our history is as distant to me as Paine and Sydenham are to the younger contributers on here - quite a sobering thought!

My mother started supporting in 1923 and Charley Dominey was her favourite player until Terry Paine and MLT came along.

Not quite as old as you rpb, I believe I am 20 years younger at 59..

But anyway my old mum and dad used to tell me all about the great Saints in your era...was the goalie Ian Black and Sam Stevens...or am I mixed up..

Their outfield star was Charlie Wayman....Up the middle for Charlie..until he got injured...

Anyway I digress, we have had lots of great players over the years..We should end up with a great Saints side.

Not quite as old as you rpb, I believe I am 20 years younger at 59..

But anyway my old mum and dad used to tell me all about the great Saints in your era...was the goalie Ian Black and Sam Stevens...or am I mixed up..

Their outfield star was Charlie Wayman....Up the middle for Charlie..until he got injured...

Anyway I digress, we have had lots of great players over the years..We should end up with a great Saints side.

Hang on! I'm only two years older than you - the southern league and cup finals were about 100 years ago and Paine etc roughly 50, that was my point...

The goalie after the war was Ian Black - a Scottish international (who I never saw play). Sam Stevens was a midfielder we signed from Queens Park (I think) - he only played in the reseerves, Brian Stevens was a very tall goalkeeper who played for a while during the 50s (I saw him when we beat Bournemouth 7 - 0)

Did we not have a large goalkeeper called Charles?

Big Bob very big Bob...England Youth and made a few first team games at 17/18 but Bob loved his grub and although they had many diets and sweat suits he would sneak round to the cafe and load up...but for the weight he had potentially been a great keeper..

Edited by ottery st mary
spelling