Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Not saying we didn't have some good players but it wasn't the "incredible" squad some think..of those you mention...kelvin never really did it at the highest level..remember Sunderland? Puncheon is Ok but a palace bit part player.. Morgan's had a torrid time since he left, AOC was he even here in the championships? Sharpe hasn't played in the premier league has he? Fonte Lambert and Lallana are the three who probably made it..

I am not saying the squad wasn't good..it was a very competitive squad in both leagues, no doubt..however what position were we in with Pardew in charge when he was sacked and Adkins came in?

I just don't understand why some of our own fans have a downer on Adkins...

No its more fake news rubbish. The biggest part of that rubbish was that AOC was not part of the championship team!!

Oh so it’s the players not the manager now? Recall a discussion very recently saying it’s the manager’s skill to get the best out of the players. Interesting that an incompetent got back to back promotions but guess it didn’t matter who was in charge really. It was the players that won it,
What's with the attitude? I largely agree with you. It's a combination of the players and the manager and adkins was fantastic for us but we also had some incredible players, particularly for league one.

What's with the attitude? I largely agree with you. It's a combination of the players and the manager and adkins was fantastic for us but we also had some incredible players, particularly for league one.

I thought my reply was quite tame. No profanity at all! Although initial point was for SKD and his keenness to rewrite Adkins contribution. Glaring contradiction that we win despite the manager and we lose because of the manager. We were around 25/1 to win the Championship but people seem to think we were some nailed on favourites who underperformed to get pipped by Reading. We were top 2 all season and some cnts want to call that failure. Comical.

I thought my reply was quite tame. No profanity at all! Although initial point was for SKD and his keenness to rewrite Adkins contribution. Glaring contradiction that we win despite the manager and we lose because of the manager. We were around 25/1 to win the Championship but people seem to think we were some nailed on favourites who underperformed to get pipped by Reading. We were top 2 all season and some cnts want to call that failure. Comical.
Oh well in that case I totally agree. We had some cracking players for the championship but we also had a great manager who got us playing some brilliant football. It was a combination of the two.

NA was the right man at the right time, don't see how anyone can disagree with that. It was his sacking and the arrival of the unknown Poch that upset people. NC did it and was reviled for it but we can see now it was exactly what we needed, a stroke of genius, wish someone could do something similar now, where is today's genius?

NA was the right man at the right time, don't see how anyone can disagree with that. It was his sacking and the arrival of the unknown Poch that upset people. NC did it and was reviled for it but we can see now it was exactly what we needed, a stroke of genius, wish someone could do something similar now, where is today's genius?

All we need is a Mauricio from Argentina who has managed in Argentina and Spain

Oh well in that case I totally agree. We had some cracking players for the championship but we also had a great manager who got us playing some brilliant football. It was a combination of the two.

This is the bit I disagree with.

NA was the right man at the right time. He is a great bloke, and oversaw some of the best times I've had as a saints fan. I'll be forever grateful for that. He reminds me a little of Eddie Howe, all be it probably not as good.

I was just pointing out, especially to those who wanted him back, that he is a pretty average manager and one that certainly shouldn't be getting a job at a PL club. I recall at the time of him being with us some even saying that he should be the next England manager :mcinnes: :lol:

Hopefully he goes on to find another club that suits him (probably a smaller one) and has a successful career down in L1/Championship.

This is the bit I disagree with.

NA was the right man at the right time. He is a great bloke, and oversaw some of the best times I've had as a saints fan. I'll be forever grateful for that. He reminds me a little of Eddie Howe, all be it probably not as good.

I was just pointing out, especially to those who wanted him back, that he is a pretty average manager and one that certainly shouldn't be getting a job at a PL club. I recall at the time of him being with us some even saying that he should be the next England manager :mcinnes: [emoji38]

Hopefully he goes on to find another club that suits him (probably a smaller one) and has a successful career down in L1/Championship.

Nothing at all at saints to suggest he was average. Could be absolutely rubbish wherever he goes but he was great for us and I'm not going to lessen his achievement with us by saying otherwise.

Not sure why it sticks in my head, but my overriding memory of Rochdale was when they beat us 2-0 in L1 in a mid-week game. I remember coming on here the following day and Alpine had already admitted defeat, we weren't going up. It was all over.

We went on to win the reamining games that season and had a hard fought battle with Huddersfield. It was nip and tuck down to the Plymouth game.

Good times.

Not sure why it sticks in my head, but my overriding memory of Rochdale was when they beat us 2-0 in L1 in a mid-week game. I remember coming on here the following day and Alpine had already admitted defeat, we weren't going up. It was all over.

We went on to win the reamining games that season and had a hard fought battle with Huddersfield. It was nip and tuck down to the Plymouth game.

Good times.

Wasn't Rochdale the home game after Pardew was sacked and Wilkins was in charge?

Adkins underachieved greatly with the the whole set up at SFC at his disposal.

Scraping automatic promotion was the bare minimum we should’ve managed....and that is all he did.

Failing to win the titles was a travesty....and and down to poor management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty harsh. You could say we underachieved slightly in league 1, but he took over a side making a poor start, having lost to Plymouth, Swindon and Rochdale and drawn to Orient. We lost to MK 3 days after he joined us, which meant we took just 4 points from the first 7 games. Brighton didn't have the best of starts, but still won 14 points from their first 7 games. We lost the league title by 3 points. That side was packed with talent, but it wasn't performing before he took over...

I'd argue that promotion from the championship was an outstanding piece of management. He carried the momentum over brilliantly and sustained the level of performance from the side through a very long hard season. Again we had a lot of outstanding players.

On the flip side, Adkins failed miserably at Sheffield United. Another team with high expectations and a decent squad. i think they finished 11th in his only season there. No where near good enough for a team with their budget.

I think Wilkins was in charge for three games (2 league one cup I think) and we lost all of them as I recall. It took Adkins a while to get us playing well.

We were in a bit of a mess at the start of that season, but we certainly turned it around quick enough. I think Adkins first game was the defeat at MK Dons, maybe? He got his first win against Wednesday....barnard with the goal. I must admit, I did enjoy those days.

Can't imagine he is on less than 100k, stranger things have happened though.

I was told by a close member of Lallana’s family (believe me, close enough to know) that he was on over 100k when first transferred, so I’d be absolutely amazed if Mane is getting a pay rise that takes him to 80k. If true, he needs to change his agent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently Spurs are letting Alderweireld go.

According to the Express, hes only on 50K on wont break their structure for him.

Considering they've won jack-sh*t, why oh why the f**k did he choose them over us ?

probs play with his Belgian mates in Vertonghen and Dembele (and Chadli for a brief amount of time!)

also they are bigger than us despite their lack of trophies, and he has played in some big CL games in past 2 years.

The lad seems to be a bit of a misfit wherever he plays, short contracts, doesn't seem to know what he wants, changes of mind. Could be he have ****ed off Spurs with his messing around will he won't he antics. Don't want too many boat rockers in a small dinghy. Perhaps also he isn't very good. Not all Belgians are very good.

Having said that we'd have him back in a flash!

The lad seems to be a bit of a misfit wherever he plays, short contracts, doesn't seem to know what he wants, changes of mind. Could be he have ****ed off Spurs with his messing around will he won't he antics. Don't want too many boat rockers in a small dinghy. Perhaps also he isn't very good. Not all Belgians are very good.

Eh?

He's in the top 3 CB's in the PL. He is very good.

According to the Express, hes only on 50K on wont break their structure for him.

Considering they've won jack-sh*t, why oh why the f**k did he choose them over us ?

Yeah, not much to choose between us and Spurs.

(?????)

Really? And he wants £150k a week? He wants to triple his wages? No wonder Spurs are prepared to let him go.

‘ALDERWEIRELD COULD BE SOLD’

Tottenham are considering cashing in on Toby Alderweireld this summer after talks stalled regarding a new contract for the defender, according to The Times.

The Belgium international is reportedly asking for his wage to be increased to £150,000 per week but Tottenham are unwilling to play ball due to their strict wage structure.

It's because he wants to get a place in the Portugal World Cup squad. Definitely no other reason.

(fwiw, I don't have issue with players like Fonte and Pelle going to China to earn shed loads of money before they retire, just find it amusing that players can never just come out and say it!)

It's because he wants to get a place in the Portugal World Cup squad. Definitely no other reason.

(fwiw, I don't have issue with players like Fonte and Pelle going to China to earn shed loads of money before they retire, just find it amusing that players can never just come out and say it!)

He should say his real motivation is looking forward to winning more headers against smaller Chinese players.

http://wbaunofficial.org.uk/showthread.php?tid=13260&page=2

well by reading this ^^

crazy how much he has fallen.

I could've told them what to expect. After seeing a few snippets here and there, thought maybe a change of scenery had rejuvenated him, but maybe not. Probably in the same way that anyone watching his goals vs Bournemouth last year might have assumed he was back to his best.

That's quite interesting, it puts pay to the theory that it was the players holding us back rather than the manager.

Obviously Puel is still light years ahead of Pellegrino though.

Leicester under Puel have scored 37 goals in 24 games, failing to score only 4 times. That's a better rate than any team outside the top 6. If anything it shows it was the players.

Leicester under Puel have scored 37 goals in 24 games, failing to score only 4 times. That's a better rate than any team outside the top 6. If anything it shows it was the players.

Did you follow the link and read the comments on the Leicester forum? That's what my comment referred to, I didn't just pluck it out of thin air.

Did you follow the link and read the comments on the Leicester forum? That's what my comment referred to, I didn't just pluck it out of thin air.

I did, but fans are fickle. You're only as good as your last game. Confirmation bias after a bad game. How bored they were after that Stoke game might have had a lot to do with Stoke only taking 4 shots all game and killing the game by sitting back.

Edited by Ultimatt