Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Calum Chambers has just scored for Arsenal. A few on here wrote him off too soon. He was Fulham's Player of the Season last year. He's still only 24. We could certainly do with a player like him.
Who was "writing off" Calum Chambers when he was playing all of those 22 appearances for SFC?

He was only ever thought of as a great prospect and great competition for Clyne and his sale was the last straw for many at the time.

God knows what sh it point you think you are making.

At least him being 24 means you have probably an entire decade of making that sh it point over and over again, so knock yourself out.

Chambers was good for us & left far too soon...

With that said, not sure many of us would have kept him & NOT signed Toby & Mane for the money we got for Chambers.

Quite. It wasn't to be and everyone moved on, and as you say we signed some decent defenders immediately after.

Even if he goes on to get 75 England caps and three Ballon D'Or trophies I fail to see how that could be seen as proving Saints fans "wrong" or some retribution against imaginary fans "writing him off" while he was here. We didn't want him to go, but he did. Good luck to him.

Wenger tried to sign him in January before he did leave so they were obviously pretty keen on buying him .

Before barely playing him and then loaning him out and then, while on loan, he has managed to be part of a defence to get relegated twice from the PL all at the tender age of 24. if saints had signed a player like that you'd never here the end of it on here.....

Edited by doddisalegend

I bet he felt good when his goal went in ! IIRC he was used at RB for us on occasions which wasn't applauded on here .

What? He never played anywhere but right back for us. When Wenger started using him as a CB, it was pretty much unanimous on here that it was a bizarre thing to try and do.

Struggling to even get into the team at Alkmaar. It's amazing that he's managed to make a lucrative career out of football without ever really being good enough to play for the clubs paying him.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-unhappy-with-his-spell-at-southampton-finding-difficult-at-new-club/

The same article seems to come out every year. Moans about us & his current lack of form.

I have always been one of the more vocal doubters of Mopos "world class" title

I felt with us he could have done better and Koeman quickly proved that.

Then with Spurs he seemed to get a lot of credit for winning nothing

I pointed to a squad worth nearly 1 billion and a club with a history of top 4 finishes.

A lot of players are struggling under Mopo - WTF has happened to Ali for example?

Da Fuq?

RODRIGUEZ IN SHOCK INTER MOVE?

Inter Milan manager Antonio Conte is reportedly interested in a surprise move for former West Brom striker Jay Rodriguez.

According to CalcioMercato the forward, now at Burnley, is being eyed up by the Serie A leaders, and is wanted as a backup for Romelu Lukaku in January.

And we couldn't create a single chance from open play against their 10 men. Lol indeed...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'm sure we would have if Spurs were defending high chasing the game...:mcinnes:

Unfortunately we weren't though so they just sat back in numbers.

P.s Mane such a great player, do Liverpool ever change their team? No wonder they slowed down last third of last season with the narrow wins turning into draws.

You have to feel sorry for Matt. He was probably sold the idea he would be either first choice, or at least competing (alternating) with Taylor. I guess he has to wait for his chance, then take it.

Reading the Villa forum, it sounds like Targett had a stormer today...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49966966

Shame VVD didn't have this attitude. Although in fairness Zaha did have 2 years at United and flopped, so maybe that's part of the reason he's knuckling down and getting on with it.

Palace is close to his heart, he's been there since he was a kid and was a local lad. VVD had no ties to us besides paying his wages and putting himself in the Premier League shop window. Zaha is 27 next month, he probably feels it's now or never to try again at the top, but credit to Palace for keeping him and credit to him for knuckling down. I still think he'll be gone by the start of next season, but Palace will be a lot richer for it.

Palace is close to his heart, he's been there since he was a kid and was a local lad. VVD had no ties to us besides paying his wages and putting himself in the Premier League shop window. Zaha is 27 next month, he probably feels it's now or never to try again at the top, but credit to Palace for keeping him and credit to him for knuckling down. I still think he'll be gone by the start of next season, but Palace will be a lot richer for it.

VVD had ties to us by recently signing a bumper 5 year contract. Of course no one expected him to stay for that long, but if he'd done a Morgan and given us one more year without downing tools then fair play. Same with that **** Lamina.

Not sure where this goes, a search didn’t help!

Article on the youngster Harley Willard who Saints let go after his first contract...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/08/harley-willard-next-generation-guardian-southampton-iceland

Surprised there was no support from the club, or at least none stated in the article. It seems the agent wasn’t great either!

• 2 weeks later...
Matt Targett has yet to play for Villa, he can barely make the subs bench. If only we had 13 million to **** up the wall on a reserve left back who never gets a game.

Targett scored the winner today. Much better than Bertrand

3add6381d186c287efeae382a0be34b3.jpg

If you look at the subs....3 are pretty much starters now.

That’s just as telling as about those up for the award itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We certainly had a very strong squad then. We took 4 points from Liverpool that season and finished above them in the league.

3add6381d186c287efeae382a0be34b3.jpg

If you look at the subs....3 are pretty much starters now.

That’s just as telling as about those up for the award itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depressing.

Even Stekelenburg is better than what we have in goal now.

Ramirez as he was then would get in our starting 11 now.

Talking to a mate of mine who is a Blackburn fan.

He reckons Sam Gallagher has only scored once in the League in 600 days!!

I have no beef with Sam and really thought he was worth a run in the team primarily on the basis of his wonder goal (ironically) against Blackburn a few years back in the Youth Cup.

But to get £5m for him and a similar amount for Charlie Austin, who doesnt seem to be tearing up the Championship with his goal scoring exploits seems to have been reasonable business.