Page 156 of 157 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157 LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,800 of 7809

Thread: Defectors Watch

  1. #7751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hardly an area we can take the p!ss.
    Read it again, that was not about their club. That was referring to their manager who will be on his way to Real Madrid soon, according to some.

  2. #7752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Read it again, that was not about their club. That was referring to their manager who will be on his way to Real Madrid soon, according to some.
    The same manager that some said on here had no chance of getting Spurs into the top 4? He was a very good manager for us and he's achieved more at Spurs than most of the cynics on here dreamed was possible.

    Les Reed's negative PR 'leaks' about the players and managers he fell out with seem to have mentally scarred some of our fans for life. Oh for the good old days when Channon, Davies and Ball went to Portsmouth and nobody thought anything of it. If you look at the careers of football players and managers they nearly all work for more than one club.

  3. Default

    @JPercyTelegraph: Jay Rodriguez could leave #wba this summer for just £5m due to a release clause signed last year. Would rise to £10m after 12 months via @telegraph
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...m-due-release/

  4. #7754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Oh for the good old days when Channon, Davies and Ball went to Portsmouth and nobody thought anything of it.
    You forgot Gilchrist.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    You forgot Gilchrist.

    and Bobby Stokes.

  6. #7756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    and Bobby Stokes.
    The point is, there was never any of the rancour from our fans that there is today. Fans were working for their money and they knew that footballers were doing the same thing they would do in the same circumstances: getting the best jobs or, by the time they reached their thirties, the only jobs they could.

    Footballers get paid a ridiculous amount of money but their careers are very short: maybe 10 years if they are lucky. And, as youngsters, they blow most of the money they earn very quickly the same as most of us would have done at the same age. How many 20-year-olds think about their pensions?

    The bitter envy and hatred some of our fans feel towards people who are trying to better themselves and their families does our reputation no good whatsoever. If you were talented and hardworking enough to make it to the Premier League, wouldn't you want to play for a top club and win a medal or two and the most money you could when you had the chance?

    Les Reed has a lot to answer for. He really turned our fans against the players and managers.

  7. #7757

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    The point is, there was never any of the rancour from our fans that there is today. Fans were working for their money and they knew that footballers were doing the same thing they would do in the same circumstances: getting the best jobs or, by the time they reached their thirties, the only jobs they could.

    Footballers get paid a ridiculous amount of money but their careers are very short: maybe 10 years if they are lucky. And, as youngsters, they blow most of the money they earn very quickly the same as most of us would have done at the same age. How many 20-year-olds think about their pensions?

    The bitter envy and hatred some of our fans feel towards people who are trying to better themselves and their families does our reputation no good whatsoever. If you were talented and hardworking enough to make it to the Premier League, wouldn't you want to play for a top club and win a medal or two and the most money you could when you had the chance?

    Les Reed has a lot to answer for. He really turned our fans against the players and managers.
    Rubbish plenty of players leave and the fans still respect them. Lambert never suffered one minute of abuse after leaving for Liverpool. I've seen players like Ormerod and Cork subbed of the pitch, for opposition teams, to warm applause from saints fans. I'm pretty sure if Pelle, Tadic or JRod rocked up at SMS on matchday they'd get plenty of respect from the fans. The players who get grief are the ones who were seen as not going about a transfer in the right way. If you refuse to play, cause problems or meet opposition managers in seedy Blackpool hotels while under contract to SFC to force a move you deserve all the abuse you get.

  8. #7758

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,027

    Default

    I, for one, never begrudged Kayne McLaggon his move to Salisbury City.

  9. Default

    Flip me, I was keen to bring him back even before I read that. At £5M it's a no-brainer.
    However, I see Burnley are in for him and I expect he will want to go back there. But I would make an offer of maybe £7M to see if we can get him.

  10. #7760

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Flip me, I was keen to bring him back even before I read that. At £5M it's a no-brainer.
    However, I see Burnley are in for him and I expect he will want to go back there. But I would make an offer of maybe £7M to see if we can get him.
    That's not how a release fee works, not that I want him anyway.

  11. #7761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    and Bobby Stokes.
    And Ivan Golac (on loan)


    Not forgetting John Gittens RIP
    Last edited by Whitey Grandad; 05-06-2019 at 09:46 AM.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    That's not how a release fee works, not that I want him anyway.
    I didn't say it was. Only that if multiple offers come in at £5M only one club can buy him. Offering £7M to get ahead in the process seems wide to me. And I do want him. He has proven he IS over his injury.

  13. #7763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I didn't say it was. Only that if multiple offers come in at £5M only one club can buy him. Offering £7M to get ahead in the process seems wide to me. And I do want him. He has proven he IS over his injury.
    That's still not how it works. Any club that bids £5m gets to talk to him. If one club bids £5m and the other £7m then WBA can't choose who he signs for at that point. Bidding £7m would just be p1ssing £2m up against a wall for no reason at all.

  14. #7764

    Default

    Fonte is through to his second European final with Portugal and the Champions League with Lille. What a fantastic late career he's having. Surely he deserves a place on the legends banner as much as Keegan does.

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Fonte is through to his second European final with Portugal and the Champions League with Lille. What a fantastic late career he's having. Surely he deserves a place on the legends banner as much as Keegan does.
    Can I ask - why do you feel the need to constantly troll this forum? Does it give you some warm fuzzy feeling? Are you very lonely and crave the attention?? Seems a very strange thing you constantly do.

  16. #7766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    God there's some sh1t posted on this forum.
    Yes, and you seem to post a lot of it.

  17. #7767

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I didn't say it was. Only that if multiple offers come in at £5M only one club can buy him. Offering £7M to get ahead in the process seems wide to me. And I do want him. He has proven he IS over his injury.
    Jay would never come back here

  18. #7768

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Jay would never come back here
    More to the point, he’s 30 years old and managed 7 goals in his last PL campaign.

  19. #7769

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Fonte is through to his second European final with Portugal and the Champions League with Lille. What a fantastic late career he's having. Surely he deserves a place on the legends banner as much as Keegan does.
    You are a deadset wierdo.

  20. #7770

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chandlers Ford
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    The point is, there was never any of the rancour from our fans that there is today. Fans were working for their money and they knew that footballers were doing the same thing they would do in the same circumstances: getting the best jobs or, by the time they reached their thirties, the only jobs they could.

    Footballers get paid a ridiculous amount of money but their careers are very short: maybe 10 years if they are lucky. And, as youngsters, they blow most of the money they earn very quickly the same as most of us would have done at the same age. How many 20-year-olds think about their pensions?

    The bitter envy and hatred some of our fans feel towards people who are trying to better themselves and their families does our reputation no good whatsoever. If you were talented and hardworking enough to make it to the Premier League, wouldn't you want to play for a top club and win a medal or two and the most money you could when you had the chance?

    Les Reed has a lot to answer for. He really turned our fans against the players and managers.
    I'm always surprised how people dont see it this way. Best of luck to any player who moves to a bigger club with the chance to achieve bigger things.

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Johnson View Post
    I'm always surprised how people dont see it this way. Best of luck to any player who moves to a bigger club with the chance to achieve bigger things.
    I think it started with Lovren, continued with Lallana and finished with van Dijk. Actually you can add Fonte to that as well, but he doesn't get the level of vitriol that these three get.

    Lovren after a year was professing his head or heart was in London. Lallana while captain and on international duty, openly stated he hoped he would be off. van Dijk threw a strop as well. All 3 were somewhat disrespectful, as was Fonte. At the end of the day, I don't care too much as I am not their employer. Supporters always have a rather narrow view on things, but that is part and parcel of supporting the club.

    But you can look at others who have left: Mane, Shaw, Lambert, Clyne, Alderwiereld (although not ours in the first place), Schneiderlin... none of those get any vitriol. Supporters are well aware that players will move on to bigger and better things, but its the way they do it, which I would have thought was fairly obvious and am surprised that you find it surprising.

  22. Default

    Mane , Clyne and Scheiderlin all threw wobblies but generally made an effort before they went . Mane turned up late until he was dropped , Scheiderlin had a strop at preseason and didn't play until his head was right etc . Mane the only one with Van D who have really proved their worth at their new clubs.
    I think I would take a job where I would be set for life even if I didn't have to do much !!

  23. #7773

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    [U]LALLANA WANTS TO STAY AT LIVERPOOL

    Adam Lallana says he has no intention of leaving Liverpool this summer.

    "I've got a year left on my contract. I'll be back, I'll be training through the summer. I am as eager as ever to get fit because I know when I'm fit I've got a lot to give and I can get in this team."

    Asked if he was staying given the frequent speculation about his future, Lallana said: "Yeah. Absolutely no question about it. I couldn't be happier here, winning Champions Leagues."
    [/U]

    Bless him... game is up Nivea boy... or you can delude yourself that you will get in the team....

  24. #7774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Kent Saint View Post
    Mane , Clyne and Scheiderlin all threw wobblies but generally made an effort before they went . Mane turned up late until he was dropped , Scheiderlin had a strop at preseason and didn't play until his head was right etc . Mane the only one with Van D who have really proved their worth at their new clubs.
    I think I would take a job where I would be set for life even if I didn't have to do much !!
    I don't think he did. In fact the opposite, it seemed he was ready to run down his contract, rejected an extension (which of course was his right) and it was Saints who wanted to sell him because of that.

  25. Default

    I remember a few poor performances from him in the final season but his career has not gone well since . The thing is we don't know these players personally and quite a few seem to have some sort of problem that we are unaware of.
    I thought at the time Poch left he might have said that if you want to get on get out but .................

  26. Default

    The Liverpool fan in the office said it was casually commented on Liverpool TV last night that we get an extra £10M in the Mane deal for their CL delight. Now Ings will only cost us £10M. I told him we'd pay the extra £10M again to swap him in for Origi.
    They expect him to move on too as now he has proven his worth in the last few games, but still won't be first choice, they are bracing themselves for offers.

  27. #7777

    Default




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #7778

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Fine City of Southampton
    Posts
    3,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roughly translated into English:

    Virgil van Dijk, PFA Player of the Year,
    2-faced ex-Southampton footballer,
    European champion, dubious act on
    and off the field, adulterer, happy to
    go on strike after taking a lucrative
    contract extension, half-hearted
    displays for the club paying his
    massive wages, sneak, playing
    for the opposition so, as expected,
    being booed by England fans.

  29. Default

    https://www.90min.com/posts/6386429-...or-southampton

    Mane: "Southampton is a very good club, but I didn’t want to go there."

  30. #7780

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    11,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.90min.com/posts/6386429-...or-southampton

    Mane: "Southampton is a very good club, but I didn’t want to go there."
    I imagine very few foreign players would actually want to join Saints.

  31. #7781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.90min.com/posts/6386429-...or-southampton

    "Southampton is a very good club, but I didn’t want to go there."
    It's fair enough. There was always something off about the transfer, and Mane going on strike. I mean, who the hell goes on strike to join us? Seems as though he was angry at his club denying him the move he wanted to Dortmund - who are objectively a much bigger and more successful club than Saints.

    But he came here, he did well, I don't think his overall effort can be disputed (even if he did seem to go into hiding over the winter), and generally appears to be a decent bloke. Good luck to him.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  32. #7782

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.90min.com/posts/6386429-...or-southampton

    Mane: "Southampton is a very good club, but I didn’t want to go there."
    He should have stuck to his guns, like Zlatan.

  33. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.90min.com/posts/6386429-...or-southampton

    Mane: "Southampton is a very good club, but I didn’t want to go there."
    He got offered around the premier league & we were smart enough to take him.

    We both benefitted from the move.

    He also behaved himself (apart from his lateness to some team meetings).

  34. Default

    * Double-Post

  35. #7785

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    Fonte has lost weight and looks a lot fitter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #7786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrian lord View Post
    Fonte has lost weight and looks a lot fitter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's captained his Lille team to the Champions League, with the the best defensive record in the French League and was voted the best central defender in the league this season, and he's had to defend against some of the best strikers currently playing in Europe including Mbappé, Neymar and Cavani.

    He's now added a European Nations League winner's medal to his European Championship winner's medal. There is understandably great respect for him in France and Portugal, where he has been made a Commander of the Order of Merit. After all the hard work he put in for us over the years, it's good to see him have the best season of his career so far. We were very lucky that he spent most of his career with us, as he led us all the way from League One to four consecutive top 8 finishes in the Premier League, which we'd never have achieved without his leadership. I hope he enjoys playing in the Champions League next season.

    https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/footba...aign-1.1186298

  37. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    He's captained his Lille team to the Champions League, with the the best defensive record in the French League and was voted the best central defender in the league this season, and he's had to defend against some of the best strikers currently playing in Europe including Mbappé, Neymar and Cavani.

    He's now added a European Nations League winner's medal to his European Championship winner's medal. There is understandably great respect for him in France and Portugal, where he has been made a Commander of the Order of Merit. After all the hard work he put in for us over the years, it's good to see him have the best season of his career so far. We were very lucky that he spent most of his career with us, as he led us all the way from League One to four consecutive top 8 finishes in the Premier League, which we'd never have achieved without his leadership. I hope he enjoys playing in the Champions League next season.

    https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/footba...aign-1.1186298
    *switch on Sky Sports News*
    *oh, Portugal won the Nations League, did they*
    *I bet that nutcase has posted about it already*

    And here we are.

    ///ENDS

  38. #7788

    Default

    Fonte deserved better after all he gave to the club. His departure in many ways the beginning of the end...

  39. #7789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by californiasaint View Post
    Fonte deserved better after all he gave to the club. His departure in many ways the beginning of the end...
    Yeah I liked how he tried to get a move to United and ended up at West Ham. Quality.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  40. #7790

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by californiasaint View Post
    Fonte deserved better after all he gave to the club. His departure in many ways the beginning of the end...
    End?.... Please explain?

  41. #7791

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by californiasaint View Post
    Fonte deserved better after all he gave to the club. His departure in many ways the beginning of the end...
    Better than millions and millions and millions of pounds?

    Fonte wanted a big juicy contract and ended up at West Ham. Had he wanted to stay he wouldn't have given that nonsense interview about wanting to be nearer to his wife's family in London.

  42. #7792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Better than millions and millions and millions of pounds?

    Fonte wanted a big juicy contract and ended up at West Ham. Had he wanted to stay he wouldn't have given that nonsense interview about wanting to be nearer to his wife's family in London.
    Given he was very ropey at West Ham and then injured, think we dodged a bullet.

  43. Default

    Oh come on. He moved to West Ham so that he could be closer to his family!!

  44. #7794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Oh come on. He moved to West Ham so that he could be closer to his family!!
    Just like he moved to China to get away from them again.

  45. #7795

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by californiasaint View Post
    Fonte deserved better after all he gave to the club. His departure in many ways the beginning of the end...

  46. #7796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    End?.... Please explain?
    There was a spirit and sense of identity to those teams that IMO is almost non existent in what is fielded today. A strong captain who carried the team through promotion was clearly a piece of that. Yet rather than recognize all the value he brought, management chose to mind the balance sheet (somewhat ironic that those who made the decision have now been culled by their own reaper). The current product on the field definitely shows none of the fight of those prior squads, talent aside.

    As for Fonte himself, not surprised played poorly at WH, no identity and strong disconnect there as well. Thriving in Portugal/Lille, clubs with strong cultures, as Saints once had. He raises or lowers his game depending on the environment, curse of many Portuguese players.

  47. #7797

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by californiasaint View Post
    There was a spirit and sense of identity to those teams that IMO is almost non existent in what is fielded today. A strong captain who carried the team through promotion was clearly a piece of that. Yet rather than recognize all the value he brought, management chose to mind the balance sheet (somewhat ironic that those who made the decision have now been culled by their own reaper). The current product on the field definitely shows none of the fight of those prior squads, talent aside.

    As for Fonte himself, not surprised played poorly at WH, no identity and strong disconnect there as well. Thriving in Portugal/Lille, clubs with strong cultures, as Saints once had. He raises or lowers his game depending on the environment, curse of many Portuguese players.
    Ok but I thought it was really the end but its more of a bad patch really isn't it?

  48. #7798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Ok but I thought it was really the end but its more of a bad patch really isn't it?
    Could very well be the end of Saint's chances to finish in the top half. Manager is sufficient, but how long will he last under current conditions? Black box appears to be malfunctioning. No real prospects to sell to bigger teams to generate income. Passive ownership.

    Going to take an influx of $$$ to turn the team around. Where will it come from?

    Will settle for "end of an era."

  49. Default

    I think you are giving Fonte too much credit , Saints made him a good player and he let himself go . Good that he has seen the light at the end of his career tunnel and now putting a shift in so good luck to him . I wonder if he ever mentions his Saints career unlike other Dykes ??????

  50. #7800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Just like he moved to China to get away from them again.
    In fairness, "man moves closer to the in-laws, realises his mistake and moves to the other side of the world" isn't actually such a far fetched scenario

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •