Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Clyne's out of favour now Liverpool have bought a new right back, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain :o

Clyne's out of favour now Liverpool have bought a new right back, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain :o

Would feel sorry for the Ox if he is played anywhere but central as he wants.

Edit that - I really doubt I will feel sorry for a millionaire, part time working, 20-something, celebritory-fitty-dating, sportsman. Even though he lives in Liverpool.

Isn't Clyne injured? Must be a bad one if he's not in the CL squad.

Would feel sorry for the Ox if he is played anywhere but central as he wants.

Edit that - I really doubt I will feel sorry for a millionaire, part time working, 20-something, celebritory-fitty-dating, sportsman. Even though he lives in Liverpool.

Isn't Clyne injured? Must be a bad one if he's not in the CL squad.

Yeah, and the rumblings from his omission is that his injury must be worse than they are letting on, as opposed to him simply being dropped. My Ox comment was in jest, but would be pretty funny.

God on the lad he's gone on from us to have a pretty decent career so far.

Despite not being with us long we've had a lasting effect on his career, converting him from a central midfielder to a CB where he's had decent success since leaving.

I once saw him play in a reserve team friendly alongside Anthony Pulis in midfield. No surprise that the raw 18 year old fresh out of non league looked 10 times the player of the utterly useless Pulis who I just googled to find out is currently head coach of Orlando City B team.

For anyone interested his career is a very strange one. Only 90 games of first team football, half of those in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Pulis

While I agree he never got much of a chance here, he's flat out lieing to say that Middlesbrough didn't give him a chance. He was first choice for god knows how long.

He played 26 times for us in his first season. He trained with the squad solidly for 2 years. He was given all the chances that he could possibly expect. There is a misplaced sense of entitlement and that he should be an automatic shoe in.

Yeah. 3 managers didn't really rate him him here.

The games moved on from having lazy/talented No.10's.

Especially if made of glass.

I've now actually read the article and the main line seems to be - "It's also very physical football and maybe I did not find the right team for my game" - so maybe my accusation of being self-entitled is a bit off the mark. To me, this sentence is tacitly acknowledging that he wasn't up to it physically, although his other comments seem to (probably naturally) want to lay the blame elsewhere rather than at his own feet. Self aggrandisement is common place with football players and its always someone else's fault.

The fact that I find strange is that he has never played 4 games in a row without being subbed - ie no 90 mins 4 times in a row. This season at Sampa , he seems to have done 2 league games - 68 & 76 minutes.

I've now actually read the article and the main line seems to be - "It's also very physical football and maybe I did not find the right team for my game" - so maybe my accusation of being self-entitled is a bit off the mark. To me, this sentence is tacitly acknowledging that he wasn't up to it physically, although his other comments seem to (probably naturally) want to lay the blame elsewhere rather than at his own feet. Self aggrandisement is common place with football players and its always someone else's fault.

The fact that I find strange is that he has never played 4 games in a row without being subbed - ie no 90 mins 4 times in a row. This season at Sampa , he seems to have done 2 league games - 68 & 76 minutes.

I think attacking midfielders/wingers are prime candidates for subsitution though. Either the game isn't really going for them, so the manager tries a different attacking player, or the team are winning and the talented-but-lazy tiring AM can be replaced with a more defensive minded player to shore things up.

It might be a bit odd if they get subbed EVERY game, but you'd expect one of these scenarios to arise over a 4 game period. I expect Gabbiadini and Tadic have similar statistics, as do similar players at other clubs.

Mr F, maybe but I don't wholly buy that. If you are a good AM, then you stay on the pitch.

I took as an example, Frank Lampard (the first one to pop into my head) and looked at him in the 2003/4 season when he was 25 (Gaston is currently 26) to see how often he played. Lampard started all 38 PL games. He played every minute of every game bar 4 where he did 78 mins, 65 mins, 86 mins and 89 mins. He also played all 90 mins in the 4 FA Cup games they had that season. He was missed out in the EFL Cup. In the 14 CL games, he played all 90 mins in 12 of them and two of them he played 45 mins (once subbed in, once out when they were so far ahead in the qualifying rounds).

It was a similar picture for the next season (where he played even more minutes in the PL and CL)

Edited by angelman

Lampard wasn't anything like Gaston though, a better comparison would be someone like Payet, Mahrez, Coutinho, Silva. Lampard was a CM really that was just very good at going forwards, he'd be equally effective when it came to defending a game.

Everton fans are calling for Koeman's head after they got massacred by Tottenham. They haven't won away since January, Koeman's obligatory signing from the Dutch league is said to be totally pants and they can't score for toffee (pun intended).

Koeman is undoubtedly on a hiding to nothing at Goodison. Bad career move.

Everton fans are calling for Koeman's head after they got massacred by Tottenham. They haven't won away since January, Koeman's obligatory signing from the Dutch league is said to be totally pants and they can't score for toffee (pun intended).

isn't it obligatory for modern football fans to call for a manager to be sacked after every loss now. Everton will be fine and probably finish 7th again if Everton fans want more than that they are deluded.

Edited by doddisalegend

I don't think they've been sure of him since he got there to be honest. Given how much money they've spent this window, the pressure will be enormous. You'd have expected them to give Spurs a bit of a game, but Spurs were light years ahead in every department.

It was always going to be slightly intriguing to see how they did without Lukaku. I thought they'd have focused on replacing him rather than signing Sigurdsson to be honest, he seems to be the same sort of player as they already have (Barkley, Klassen etc).

I don't think they've been sure of him since he got there to be honest. Given how much money they've spent this window, the pressure will be enormous. You'd have expected them to give Spurs a bit of a game, but Spurs were light years ahead in every department.

It was always going to be slightly intriguing to see how they did without Lukaku. I thought they'd have focused on replacing him rather than signing Sigurdsson to be honest, he seems to be the same sort of player as they already have (Barkley, Klassen etc).

Quite, they now have 3 number 10s, and no decent forward. Also, Ashley Williams is now officially way over the hill and Everton's defense is a mess. Their recruitment has been so splattergun it's unreal, the only signing to really work out is Pickford.

they must have had one of the toughest starts ever though. City, Chelsea,Spurs and I think it's Utd either this week or next isn't it?

That said I just don't see the point of Klaesen though, doesn't look anywhere near the level required for the PL, same as Clasie I suppose. His instance with Martina in nearly all games is most surprising, thought he'd just signed him as a cheap cover player really.

Koeman is undoubtedly on a hiding to nothing at Goodison. Bad career move.

Good move if he gets out quick. They were the biggest under achievers in the league, so the improvement in year one looked impressive. He may get away with 7th again this season, but if he stays long term they'll want much much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovern impressing on the big stage last night

DEJANLOVREN – 4

Horrendous error for the first goal. No excuse for not making some sort of contact with that cross. I’ve defended Lovren but I’m really starting to struggle – he is not fit often enough to be part of a settled back four and makes too many stupid errors to be first choice anyway. RagnarKlavan isn’t good enough to replace him either. The centre-half situation looks bleak… If only we had 2 full months to strengthen…

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-champions-league/liverpool-player-ratings-sevilla-h/ar-AArTu79?li=AA572I&ocid=spartandhp

Lovern impressing on the big stage last night

DEJANLOVREN – 4

Horrendous error for the first goal. No excuse for not making some sort of contact with that cross. I’ve defended Lovren but I’m really starting to struggle – he is not fit often enough to be part of a settled back four and makes too many stupid errors to be first choice anyway. RagnarKlavan isn’t good enough to replace him either. The centre-half situation looks bleak… If only we had 2 full months to strengthen…

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/uefa-champions-league/liverpool-player-ratings-sevilla-h/ar-AArTu79?li=AA572I&ocid=spartandhp

In some people's dream scenarios, we would never ever have sold him and he be our front line central defender leading us to the Champions League.

In some people's dream scenarios, we would never ever have sold him and he be our front line central defender leading us to the Champions League.

He formed a formidable parternship whilst here with Fonte and there is nothing to suggest that would not have continued for quite a while. He got greedy. The rest is schadenfreude.

Lyon supporters thought that we were mad to pay £8m and were delighted with the business. Without going into revisionism, I think we all thought that he was an excellent buy and were ****ed off with his head in Liverpool actions. Lyon were gobsmacked that we managed to sell him for £20m. It is only since his crap displays at Liverpool, that we have now turned around and said he is rubbish, which he is. Certainly we would not want him back, which apart from Lambert, you can't say about any other player that we sold to Liverpool. But really, Klopp has made a monumental **** up with the CBs. They had a perfectly decent one in Sakho who he flogged even after not being able to land his one and only target, who they didn't even submit a bid for. (Apparently they are now after de Vrij)

Gab Marcotti has always maintained that the season he had at Saints was the freak season. His form at Liverpool is exactly the same as it was at Lyon, average. His been consistent in this view since the day Liverpool signed him & other pundits were raving about the signing

He was immense for us, poor form since & the signing of Toby & VvD have diluted that a bit. But maybe that really was a freak year for him. Right coach, right partner, right protection from CDM and right sized club for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter