Defectors Watch

adrian lord

In any interview or news article about these two Southampton is never mentioned, it is only Saints fans that remember them.

Did I imagine them in a Saints shirt ???

I believe life before doesn't exist once you sign for Liverpool, it's that football club that 'made' these players, I find their 'fans' insist upon this. The fact that they were willing to pay over £100m for these two unknowns just proves they recognise raw talent like nobody else.

I believe life before doesn't exist once you sign for Liverpool, it's that football club that 'made' these players, I find their 'fans' insist upon this. The fact that they were willing to pay over £100m for these two unknowns just proves they recognise raw talent like nobody else.

Bit like football didn't exist before 1992 - and amazingly despite not actually achieving anything in the Premier League they are probably the most televised team on Sky Sports.

Four ex-Saints, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, van Dijk & Mane, are now World Champions. I know many Saints fans hate Liverpool because Les Reed flogged all of our best players to them but for fans of most clubs in England to have even one of you ex-players become a world champion would be something to be proud of.

When I started supporting my local team, Saints in 1963, we'd never been in the top flight and had almost no players who'd ever won any trophy of significance in our entire history. Terry Paine's 19 games for England including one in the 1966 World Cup Finals were way above anything any Saints player had ever achieved. When we no longer wanted him, we sold him to Hereford so I do not begrudge the success of the ex-Saints players among some of the best footballers in the world tonight.

Four ex-Saints, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, van Dijk & Mane, are now World Champions. I know many Saints fans hate Liverpool because Les Reed flogged all of our best players to them but for fans of most clubs in England to have even one of you ex-players become a world champion would be something to be proud of.

When I started supporting my local team, Saints in 1963, we'd never been in the top flight and had almost no players who'd ever won any trophy of significance in our entire history. Terry Paine's 19 games for England including one in the 1966 World Cup Finals were way above anything any Saints player had ever achieved. When we no longer wanted him, we sold him to Hereford so I do not begrudge the success of the ex-Saints players among some of the best footballers in the world tonight.

Tbh, and I’m happy to be corrected, but I don’t think most saints fans would be that impressed about Liverpool being “world champions”. The budgets teams have in Europe means whatever team are in that competition should win it.

Winning the champions league and premier league are far greater and more impressive achievements.

No, we hate Liverpool because they have a massive sense of entitlement and delusions that the whole world likes them because of their amazing history and wants them to win the league. Tapping up Van Dijk didn’t really help and we don’t like him, Lallana or Lovren for basically going on strike to force a move.

Mané, Clyne and AOC most people are indifferent to and Lambert people actively wanted to succeed.

P.S. nobody gives a sh*t about the world club championship.

No, we hate Liverpool because they have a massive sense of entitlement and delusions that the whole world likes them because of their amazing history and wants them to win the league. Tapping up Van Dijk didn’t really help and we don’t like him, Lallana or Lovren for basically going on strike to force a move.

Mané, Clyne and AOC most people are indifferent to and Lambert people actively wanted to succeed.

P.S. nobody gives a sh*t about the world club championship.

[emoji106]

Getting £15m odd for Targett was decent business.

He was terrible against us - we'd be livid if we'd spent that much on such a poor player (again).

Can cross a nice ball, but there's nothing else about his game that is remotely close to Premier League level.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Getting £15m odd for Targett was decent business.

He was terrible against us - we'd be livid if we'd spent that much on such a poor player (again).

Can cross a nice ball, but there's nothing else about his game that is remotely close to Premier League level.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He's alright backup but he's never a premier league starter.

• 2 weeks later...

One I didn't see coming from one of our more legendary defectors.

David Beckham to appoint Anthony Pulis - son of former Premier League manager Tony - as Inter Miami coach

David Beckham is set to appoint Anthony Pulis, the son of former Premier League manager Tony, as the latest capture for Inter Miami.

Pulis has established an excellent reputation in the States at United Soccer League club Saint Louis and is joining Miami in a senior coaching role, with the two clubs agreeing a compensation fee on Friday.

The 35 year-old had been in charge at Saint Louis for two years in American soccer’s second tier and is now earning a promotion of his own to Beckham’s new Major League Soccer franchise.

Beckham is keen to build a strong coaching set-up at Miami, with the club kicking off their first ever MLS season in March, and Pulis has been headhunted by the club. He is understood to be signing a three-year deal as Diego Alonso's assistant.

Alonso, the former Uruguay international, was appointed as manager earlier this week after ambitious moves for Patrick Vieira and Carlo Ancelotti were rebuffed.

Pulis, a former midfielder, played for a number of English clubs including Portsmouth, Stoke and Plymouth before moving to the States in 2012.

He first began his coaching career at Orlando City B before joining Saint Louis as head coach in November 2017.

Inter Miami's first MLS match is at Los Angeles FC on 1 March.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/01/03/david-beckham-appoint-anthony-pulis-son-former-premier-league/

He was one of the worst players I have seen he was useless just shouted at others but couldn’t do it himself. Watched him about 6-7 times at Staplewood when it was open.

Talk about playing on dads reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he ever play for the first team?

Not sure if we can call him an defector, but who remembers Jan Poortvliet? Nowadays Poortvliet is a postman in Eindhoven and coaches local amateur football club Nuenen.

I went to 5Guys the other day and the potatoes were from Poortvliet farm.

That's a fact.

Lallana excellent for Liverpool U23s vs Everton.

Will be a great free for someone, if he can stay fit (perhaps regular games will help with that).

I'd have him back. He'd fit Ralph's shape perfectly and it would leave transfer funds for priority areas of defence.

He might have been a knob when he left but everyone has moved on since then anyway.

Can only recall seeing 20 minutes in a pre-season friendly. He was atrocious. Having said that, I think he did get an assist for Stoke against us by putting a corner in for Parkin.

I saw him play twice. Once against Eastleigh with the nippers when we were 3-0 down in no time. That team also featured Tommy Forecast.

The other game was a pre season match at Havant where he barely touched the ball or moved out of the centre circle. Terrible player, although that obviously doesn't mean he isn't a good coach.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...