Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Diego Simone has not really won loads of trophies so does that make him above Poch but below Brendon who is sweeping up all the trophies?

I assume this means Poch won't be a great manager we had until he is at Real Madrid winning trophies?

And considering how relatively few managers have won the premier league...Ranieri must be up there with the Fergusons!

Simeone has only won La Liga, Europa League , reached 2 CL finals. And won 2 League titles in Argentina with different clubs. So not your best example of an underachiever.

Ranieri ahead of Darren Ferguson in my opinion.

Probably just a coincidence that the "best" managers being mentioned also have the best players at the club.

Mopo had a chance to prove he was great without the benefit of great players and failed miserably at Espanyol.

Also feel he underperformed with us given the squad we had that season.

He walked into an outrageously good squad at Spurs and there recruitment has been largely great. If he genuinely can't win trophies with that Spurs team.......

I don't buy that at all, credit where credit's due he was a fantastic manager for us and proving to be world class at Spurs. At least we can say once he was our manager and we gave him his Big chance.

Always thought that Morgan was overrated by most, but it’s a shame to see where his career has gone.

Thought he may end up at Tottenham with Poch, but that ship has probably sailed now. I’d certainly have him back if the chance arises, not sure he’d be a starter though.

Always thought that Morgan was overrated by most, but it’s a shame to see where his career has gone.

Thought he may end up at Tottenham with Poch, but that ship has probably sailed now. I’d certainly have him back if the chance arises, not sure he’d be a starter though.

I feel a touch of revisionism maybe?? However, I would say that when he did leave, I was happier that it was him that left than Wanyama, but then Vic showed his stroppy side!

The test for Poch will be next season after spurs lose Kane and Ali to bigger clubs.

He has put together the best spurs side in many a year and it looks like he will still lose out to Man city, in the trophy stakes, who destroyed Napoli last night and look a good bet to win the PL and CL this season.

I think you'll find it would be Spurs and their scouts who are mainly responsible for that.

I don't really understand your argument though. From what I can see, no one is saying that he is an all time great. They are just pointing out that currently he is one of the best around (i'd also chuck Jose and Pep into this category as well).

He generally gets the very best out of what he has (he even got Lovren looking top class, who else can add that to their CV), has an unbelievable record of developing / improving English talent (for example Kane, Ali, Lallana, Tripper, Winks, Jay Rod, Shaw - Even Lambert to a degree) and on top of this is a top bloke.

He'll go on to win loads, i'm sure of it (hopefully as England manager) - then he'll be considered and people can argue if he's an all time great or not.

I can think of many ways to describe someone who walks out on us a year or so into his contract to take up a job with Spurs, but "top bloke" is certainly not one of them.

Diego Simone has not really won loads of trophies so does that make him above Poch but below Brendon who is sweeping up all the trophies?

I assume this means Poch won't be a great manager we had until he is at Real Madrid winning trophies?

And considering how relatively few managers have won the premier league...Ranieri must be up there with the Fergusons!

Anyone who wins La Liga ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona (at their Messi peak) is a world class manager. If the tosspot MP does that I'll call him world class.

They can concentrate on their charge up the league now then.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Everton fans: our hope of qualifying for champions league next year through winning Europa league. We now need to concentrate on the premier league. Our hope to qualify for champions league is not over. :D:D:D

Simeone has only won La Liga, Europa League , reached 2 CL finals. And won 2 League titles in Argentina with different clubs. So not your best example of an underachiever.

Ranieri ahead of Darren Ferguson in my opinion.

4 trophies? I didn't say he was an under achiever..I think he is also one of the best managers around but if, as is being said, ability is only measured by trophies he is well behind some pretty average managers.

4 trophies? I didn't say he was an under achiever..I think he is also one of the best managers around but if, as is being said, ability is only measured by trophies he is well behind some pretty average managers.

Welcome to the world of topical statistics.

I'd like to see your list of average managers who have won La Liga, The Europa League and has 2 x CL finals to their name....

Hardly a defector, but an ex-Saint, Gaston Ramirez has scored his first goal for Sampdoria tonight in the local derby against Genoa. Showed a bit of strength and resilience that was sasly lacking his time at St Marys in chasing a flick on whilst holding off the defender and a composed flick over the keeper to finish.

I'd like to see your list of average managers who have won La Liga, The Europa League and has 2 x CL finals to their name....

Our own Sven was much more successful...or Ramos the Spurs manager.. To name a couple..

PS you don't get a trophy for just getting to a final..ask Claude!

When Morgan was with us he was so proud to be called up for France and was not unhappy at Saints , the rush of all our young stars to find pastures ( and riches ) new seems to stem from the exit of Cortese and Poch , I have always wondered what scare stories they were told , and have they now come true because of the loss of the players we felt attachment to when we had an identity ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tend to agree - he had the tools here to do the job. Won't get the same resources or standard of players at Hull which will make it very difficult. Didn't Steve Bruce walk out on them because he didn't get the support he needed or something like that?

He doesn't really have much choice though, if i'm honest. I'm surprised he's managed (according to this) he's managed to pick up a job in the championship, to be honest.

I know some absolute wally's think that he is the right man to replace our current manager, but the reality is, other than us (where he had an amazing squad for the divisions he was in), he's not really been that successful.

A decent bloke, but I suspect he will be out of work again in 18 months.

He doesn't really have much choice though, if i'm honest. I'm surprised he's managed (according to this) he's managed to pick up a job in the championship, to be honest.

I know some absolute wally's think that he is the right man to replace our current manager, but the reality is, other than us (where he had an amazing squad for the divisions he was in), he's not really been that successful.

Why did we hire him?

You missed his time at Scunny then !?

You missed his time at Scunny then !?
I think if the club went to get a manger from Scunny now, a few would go into meltdown. If we got NA back now I'd go into meltdown!!

Overrated and very fortunate for the chance he got. Right place right time, he got us up, but with the resources at his disposal he should have won at least one of those league championships.

For me who had watched clubs for decades lift the league winners trophy, (used to be the only one that the Division 1 winners would hold aloft, pre PL) he missed the chance for me and other Saints fans to see us lift that trophy when we came up from the Championship

I think if the club went to get a manger from Scunny now, a few would go into meltdown. If we got NA back now I'd go into meltdown!!

Overrated and very fortunate for the chance he got. Right place right time, he got us up, but with the resources at his disposal he should have won at least one of those league championships.

For me who had watched clubs for decades lift the league winners trophy, (used to be the only one that the Division 1 winners would hold aloft, pre PL) he missed the chance for me and other Saints fans to see us lift that trophy when we came up from the Championship

There were six or seven teams that spent more than us in the championship - the fact that the likes of Lallana and Fonte turned out to be much better has more to do with the brilliance of Pochettino than a slight on Adkins. Getting promoted out of the championship at the first attempt is an achievement, however you spin it.

It’s easy to forget that many felt we needed a massive overhaul and injection of quality when we got promoted, including finding upgrades for Fonte and Lambert.

Edited by shurlock

His stock was so high when he left us. The Reading job really wasn't the right move