Defectors Watch

adrian lord

That's a bold claim!

Agree that it will be very interesting watching his development. Shame it's a reason to to watch the Scousers with a sense of anticipation.

He's certainly one of the most exciting players I've seen play for Saints in more than 50 years of going to games. Who would you rather have in your team, Mané or Pogba? I'd take Mané. He reminds me a lot of Luis Suarez. I understand the argument that have to sell our best players to the big clubs but I always think we sell them a year too soon. Young players like Mané increase rapidly in value, so even with just one year left on his contract, we'd have got a lot more for him next summer than we did this one.

Mane plays when he wants to but this is a PSF with Baca so he wants to try really hard . He doesn't remind me of the out and out cheat Suarez , who although skillful has always fouled off the ball to gain space etc etc .

If Mane was told to stay another year do you think he would have been professional and played at the top of his game ? or turned up late and be half arsed ???

Mane plays when he wants to but this is a PSF with Baca so he wants to try really hard . He doesn't remind me of the out and out cheat Suarez , who although skillful has always fouled off the ball to gain space etc etc .

If Mane was told to stay another year do you think he would have been professional and played at the top of his game ? or turned up late and be half arsed ???

I have no issue with Saints selling Mane. He didn't want to be here any longer and Saints got good money...i think!.......My issue is have we replaced the players that have left with the same quality.....Redmond is touted as Manes replacement......I like the lad and he is a Saints player so he gets my unquestioned support....but is a Mane?....NO HE IS NOT.....and i fear we have totally lost our cutting edge.

However i except the transfer window is still open and i have faith that the board will not let us down and we see a minimum of two quality players come in before the window shuts.....IT's just a bitter pill to swallow watching Mane in a Liverpool shirt....I ducking hate those scousers!

You have to be sensible and look at Redmond's age and fee. He has pace and he's still raw. He can do a good job for us.

Not sure who else we sign to hope replace Mane? No one is really comparable in world football. He's a one Of a kind player. Looking at Redmond's career and age it's possible he might shine big time for us ..but we will have to wait and see

I have no issue with Saints selling Mane. He didn't want to be here any longer and Saints got good money...i think!.......My issue is have we replaced the players that have left with the same quality.....Redmond is touted as Manes replacement......I like the lad and he is a Saints player so he gets my unquestioned support....but is a Mane?....NO HE IS NOT.....and i fear we have totally lost our cutting edge.

However i except the transfer window is still open and i have faith that the board will not let us down and we see a minimum of two quality players come in before the window shuts.....IT's just a bitter pill to swallow watching Mane in a Liverpool shirt....I ducking hate those scousers!

Who is this nailed on success you have in mind to replace Mane?

Who would you sign and for what fee?

You have to be sensible and look at Redmond's age and fee. He has pace and he's still raw. He can do a good job for us.

Not sure who else we sign to hope replace Mane? No one is really comparable in world football. He's a one Of a kind player. Looking at Redmond's career and age it's possible he might shine big time for us ..but we will have to wait and see

The Ox could he would fit so well iat top of diamond if we could afford him and wages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mane was 22 when he signed for us, same as Redmond I think (off the top of my head before MLG shouts at me!!)

Mane had like 20ish goals in 80 games for Salzburg before he signed for us, Redmond has probably scored 20 too so far in his whole career.

I think the potential is there, may as well give a chance.

Also a lot of posters keep on asking for a 'proper' Mane replacement, but absolutely no one gives any name.

If Nathan Redmond wasn't English and had some fancy name then I guarantee you he wouldn't be getting some of the stick he already has before the PL has even started.

Mane was 22 when he signed for us, same as Redmond I think (off the top of my head before MLG shouts at me!!)

Mane had like 20ish goals in 80 games for Salzburg before he signed for us, Redmond has probably scored 20 too so far in his whole career.

I think the potential is there, may as well give a chance.

Also a lot of posters keep on asking for a 'proper' Mane replacement, but absolutely no one gives any name.

If Nathan Redmond wasn't English and had some fancy name then I guarantee you he wouldn't be getting some of the stick he already has before the PL has even started.

alex chamberlain

Try 45 goals in 87 matches. Mane's goal scoring record was outstanding when he arrived - people were just dubious about the quality of the league he'd been playing in.

He's certainly one of the most exciting players I've seen play for Saints in more than 50 years of going to games. Who would you rather have in your team, Mané or Pogba? I'd take Mané. He reminds me a lot of Luis Suarez. I understand the argument that have to sell our best players to the big clubs but I always think we sell them a year too soon. Young players like Mané increase rapidly in value, so even with just one year left on his contract, we'd have got a lot more for him next summer than we did this one.

We sold too early in the window let alone a year early..look at the prices now? Sadio from West Broms value seems to rise daily. We sell easily and quick. It's my gripe with the current policy. We should have held out for 40 million at least if that was our price and let Liverpool have him on the final day of the window..instead we strengthened them and gave them the whole of pre season to bed him in, whilst we are a week away from the season without our "major" signing being on board.

We sold too early in the window let alone a year early..look at the prices now? Sadio from West Broms value seems to rise daily. We sell easily and quick. It's my gripe with the current policy. We should have held out for 40 million at least if that was our price and let Liverpool have him on the final day of the window..instead we strengthened them and gave them the whole of pre season to bed him in, whilst we are a week away from the season without our "major" signing being on board.

We sold him for about the same as Sanchez and Aguero were bought for. They were 25 & 23 when they signed so similar age. Much more proven players and unlikely Mane ever reaches their level.

Holding onto him till deadline day means we have to keep paying his wages until then and he takes a lineup spot from someone else that we should be bedding in.

What if Liverpool didn't meet the price and he went into his last year of contract, our record selling last year players is poor with Clyne/Wanyama going cheap.

And while the TV deal is bumping up the fees for a lot of players in that £10-20m bracket it doesn't change the big end of town. An extra £30m/yr is huge for the Palaces/Stokes/WestHams, it's ~30% more income. It's only a drop in the ocean for the big clubs that already make ~£400m/yr. "Average" players are going for big fees as a lot of teams are scrapping to spend to their new found money. The big clubs still have the same buying power and will pay similar fees as before the TV deal.

Never really knew much about Caulker but this is impressive. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/05/steven-caulker-sierra-leone-charity-trip-qpr

For those not interested in his work in Sierra Leone penultimate paragraph is mention of his move to us.

Thank you where for a truly inspiring article on the hidden side of Steven Caulker's life. Gratifying to see there are footballers who put their earnings into places where it makes such a big difference to the lives of those less fortunate.

We sold him for about the same as Sanchez and Aguero were bought for. They were 25 & 23 when they signed so similar age. Much more proven players and unlikely Mane ever reaches their level.

Holding onto him till deadline day means we have to keep paying his wages until then and he takes a lineup spot from someone else that we should be bedding in.

What if Liverpool didn't meet the price and he went into his last year of contract, our record selling last year players is poor with Clyne/Wanyama going cheap.

And while the TV deal is bumping up the fees for a lot of players in that £10-20m bracket it doesn't change the big end of town. An extra £30m/yr is huge for the Palaces/Stokes/WestHams, it's ~30% more income. It's only a drop in the ocean for the big clubs that already make ~£400m/yr. "Average" players are going for big fees as a lot of teams are scrapping to spend to their new found money. The big clubs still have the same buying power and will pay similar fees as before the TV deal.

Sorry they were before the price inflation we are seeing now. Either of those two would have been a much higher fee this year!

And if Liverpool didn't meet the fee? We kept him in the team for another year..would that be a disaster? Only if your primary concern is selling at the highest value or saving on wages? (I don't believe paying wages for the summer come in to it -that would be a mental reason for selling early or buying late).

Sorry they were before the price inflation we are seeing now. Either of those two would have been a much higher fee this year!

And if Liverpool didn't meet the fee? We kept him in the team for another year..would that be a disaster? Only if your primary concern is selling at the highest value or saving on wages? (I don't believe paying wages for the summer come in to it -that would be a mental reason for selling early or buying late).

How much do you realistic think we could get for Mane this year? Next year? You said £40m in your earlier post so not a great deal more than we actually got. If you compare him to other fees then imo we got a good price.

Same price as Mkhitaryan who's older but had a better last season.

More than Batshuayi who's younger and also had a better year albeit in a weaker league.

More than Pjanic who despite playing deeper also had a better year.

A lot more than Gotze since he was in his final year of contract.

Mane had 21 goals 9 assists in 67 premier league apps. That's decent but nothing special. Look at the goals last season from players in similar positions; Mahrez 17, Sanchez 13, Ayew 12, Arnautovic 11. Mane is undoubtedly a better player than Ayew & Arna but he hasn't delivered it consistently. We could arguably replace his goals with either of those 2. He'll probably look better this season playing alongside better creative players in Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana and we'll all wish he was still here but being pragmatic IMO it was a good deal for the club and the right call to sell for that price.

People finally realising what a rubbish transfer window we're having then? Haven't replaced pelle, haven't replaced mane, haven't replaced Wanyama.

Yeah Redmond (rate highly), PEH (looks pretty good) and McCartney are decent players... but my god look what we've lost - Mane will become one of the most lethal players on the planet (unplayable on his day) and borderline world class already. Pelle was a good top half centre forward and Wanyama was one of the best CDM's in the league. Not a single one of them has been replaced and there have been no improvements to a single position on the field. The result is that we are currently far weaker 11 vs 11 compared to last season.

Poor and no excuse really.

How much do you realistic think we could get for Mane this year? Next year? You said £40m in your earlier post so not a great deal more than we actually got. If you compare him to other fees then imo we got a good price.

More than Batshuayi who's younger and also had a better year albeit in a weaker league.

Mane had 21 goals 9 assists in 67 premier league apps. That's decent but nothing special. Look at the goals last season from players in similar positions; Mahrez 17, Sanchez 13, Ayew 12, Arnautovic 11. Mane is undoubtedly a better player than Ayew & Arna but he hasn't delivered it consistently. We could arguably replace his goals with either of those 2. He'll probably look better this season playing alongside better creative players in Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana and we'll all wish he was still here but being pragmatic IMO it was a good deal for the club and the right call to sell for that price.

Transfer fees are rising rapidly. He'll be worth at least 80 million in future. Next year we could have got 50 million for him. I was expecting this year to be his breakthrough season but more importantly for him to help us win a trophy. He's going to keep improving for the next few years. He certainly looks a better porspect than Bale did when we sold him. A player as gifted as Mane is virtually irreplaceable. We'll be very lucky to see a player that good playing for Southampton in the next 20 years. Selling him so soon, when he still had 2 years left on his contract, was a huge mistake. For those who say he doesn't try, bullsh!t. He gave 100% effort every time he took the pitch for Southampton and he would have continued to do so if we hadn't sold him.

Transfer fees are rising rapidly. He'll be worth at least 80 million in future. Next year we could have got 50 million for him. I was expecting this year to be his breakthrough season but more importantly for him to help us win a trophy. He's going to keep improving for the next few years. He certainly looks a better porspect than Bale did when we sold him. A player as gifted as Mane is virtually irreplaceable. We'll be very lucky to see a player that good playing for Southampton in the next 20 years. Selling him so soon, when he still had 2 years left on his contract, was a huge mistake. For those who say he doesn't try, bullsh!t. He gave 100% effort every time he took the pitch for Southampton and he would have continued to do so if we hadn't sold him.

Delusional.

Lol Were you sobbing into your hankie when wrote this...

Most of that is speculation

Transfer fees of mid-tier players are rising rapidly. Smaller clubs have way more to spend now. The cost of top class players aren't rising much. There's less than 10 clubs in the world that can afford to pay more than Liverpool did for Mane. Would we get a bidding war from Barca/Real/Athletico/Juve/PSG/Chelsea/ManCity/ManUtd/Arsenal for an attacking player that scores less than 1 in 3 games?

Sorry you missed my point. I don't think we should have sold him so early in the window..people on this forum are excusing the lack of transfer activity due to clubs wanting replacements lined up, in willing to sell, holding on to get the right price yet we happily sell first, strengthen our rivals and then buy (if history is to be repeated) on the final day of the window, having already played games and needing to "bed them in" (to use your words).

To me the money is irrelevant and if we only got 10 million for him next year it wouldn't have mattered. I want to see the best team we can field, winning as many games as possible. Who cares what profit we make? To the club it appears selling at the highest price is the key metric.

selling mane for that price is a good deal. but far from anything special when Benteke will leave for a similar figure after an horrendous season

Bony for £13m should be something we look at IMO

Bony for £13m might be interesting

Transfer fees of mid-tier players are rising rapidly. Smaller clubs have way more to spend now. The cost of top class players aren't rising much. There's less than 10 clubs in the world that can afford to pay more than Liverpool did for Mane. Would we get a bidding war from Barca/Real/Athletico/Juve/PSG/Chelsea/ManCity/ManUtd/Arsenal for an attacking player that scores less than 1 in 3 games?

For me it's really not about how much we sold him for but I have to pick up on these points, just because I think your comments are not accurate?

Many more teams can afford it now.. West Ham and Crystal Palace for example have bid £30 million for players this year?

top class players aren't rising much? I suggest you look at what players are going for..What have Juve just paid For a player? PSG? Pogba?

For me it's really not about how much we sold him for but I have to pick up on these points, just because I think your comments are not accurate?

Many more teams can afford it now.. West Ham and Crystal Palace for example have bid £30 million for players this year?

top class players aren't rising much? I suggest you look at what players are going for..What have Juve just paid For a player? PSG? Pogba?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Mane's the 47th most expensive transfer in football history. Same price as Nedved 15 years prior. There's a lot of transfers on that list from 2000/01/02 with similar prices to today's times. The only other buying clubs on that list that I didn't mention are the almost-bankrupt Monaco, the early 2000's Lazio and the recent Chinese mega-deals.

ccfcb75441537377271a3a5e15268f1f.jpg

Lovren in the paper this morning. His wife's head was elsewhere. And with this complete mess of a bloke.

IIRC Lovren was subbed against us last season as Klopp said the crowd was getting to him. This gives us a great excuse to give him the Kevin Phillips treatment this season.

I don't know whether Sadio's worth 80 million but he's a gem of a player, and it will irk me seeing him do well for Klopp's lot. I think we need to recruit a Mahrez style of player rather than a Bony type; sooner the better.