Defectors Watch

adrian lord

A little bit on Lallana and Clattenburg:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5809713/Mark-Clattenburg-opens-racist-allegations-challenging-Lallana-dealing-Bellamy.html

Such as in 2013 when Southampton made an official complaint after Clattenburg told Adam Lallana: ‘You’re different since you’ve played for England. You never used to be like this.’

Clattenburg reflects: ‘Well, he had changed! He was a nice guy, I got on with him. After England, he was completely different, that’s my opinion.

Exactly. Fonte was brilliant for us, but he got caught up in all of the hype after the Euros unfortunately. The club did the right thing and let him go, but to be honest he was absolutely dog shyte for West Ham. Shame how it ended up but for me the club did the right thing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Can't agree with this. He was Saints through & through and our leader on and off the pitch. our problems started when he left, thanks to Puel

Can't agree with this. He was Saints through & through and our leader on and off the pitch. our problems started when he left, thanks to Puel

Right up until the point his agent told him he could get a move to Man Utd but they weren't the least bit interested, so he moved to West Ham instead for more money.

Saints history is littered with established players engaging in power struggles with new managers. The new managers always win (remember Lawrie and Terry Paine?). The difference with Fonte is that whilst I agree with most of what you say you omit the rumour his head was turned by the Man Utd interest. He was offered an extended contract with a pay rise but he objected to the short term nature and the chance to build up his pension with an even bigger pay packet. West Ham (and then China) obliged.

He may of been saints through and through, but as soon as he found international success and heard a tenuous link to Man U his head was turned. If he was that committed to us he wouldn't have let anything get in the way of playing. I'm sorry but his performances after he left showed the club were right to let him go.

Right up until the point his agent told him he could get a move to Man Utd but they weren't the least bit interested, so he moved to West Ham instead for more money.

Ahhh so you believe the Les Reed side of the story.

Personally I think he was forced out because of his age. We knew we could get good money for him. Laughable that we're yet to replace him.

He may of been saints through and through, but as soon as he found international success and heard a tenuous link to Man U his head was turned. If he was that committed to us he wouldn't have let anything get in the way of playing. I'm sorry but his performances after he left showed the club were right to let him go.

What does through and through mean? BS t apply it to someone like Fonte. Gary Neville, Mark Noble, Steve Gerrard then maybe understand.

No club was interested and when they were he changed. Yes a consummate professional but don’t mix that with some blind allegiance to Saints.

Ahhh so you believe the Les Reed side of the story.

Personally I think he was forced out because of his age. We knew we could get good money for him. Laughable that we're yet to replace him.

From Fonte's own words

'I spoke to the club [after winning Euro 2016] and said there could be possibilities [to move] and I would like the club to consider it. 'In the summer there were possibilities of leaving – that is normal, everyone fights for their own interests to get the best possible outcome for yourself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4285920/Jose-Fonte-furious-reports-Southampton-exit.html

in his own words he was asking to leave no forcing out was required by the club who actually offered him an improved contract...

From Fonte's own words

'I spoke to the club [after winning Euro 2016] and said there could be possibilities [to move] and I would like the club to consider it. 'In the summer there were possibilities of leaving – that is normal, everyone fights for their own interests to get the best possible outcome for yourself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4285920/Jose-Fonte-furious-reports-Southampton-exit.html

in his own words he was asking to leave no forcing out was required by the club who actually offered him an improved contract...

He wanted a longer contract than the club was prepared to offer iirc.

What does through and through mean? BS t apply it to someone like Fonte. Gary Neville, Mark Noble, Steve Gerrard then maybe understand.

No club was interested and when they were he changed. Yes a consummate professional but don’t mix that with some blind allegiance to Saints.

Point taken. Poor turn of phrase by me.

Edited by Micky

• 1 month later...
From Fonte's own words

The club didn't want to give him the deal he wanted, and it was his final contract so he looked elsewhere. The club turned that into a massive PR slander against him....

The club didn't want to give him the deal he wanted, and it was his final contract so he looked elsewhere. The club turned that into a massive PR slander against him....

:lol: They really didn't. They offered him what they thought was a fair deal and he declined. This is pretty normal business practice and each party had to make decisions based on business acumen, not loyalty of what had gone before.

Fonte was a monster for us, and the fans will always acknowledge the part he played in our resurgence. But to say that he was massively slandered by the club is way off the mark. We just didn't see eye to eye on the terms of the final contract therefore we went our way and he his. Move on.

The negative PR 'leaks' which emanate from the club about a player before he is sold leave a bad taste in the mouth and stir up a lot of bad feeling and even hatred of ex-players who served us well for many years. It would be preferable if there was just a dignified silence. Was the way that Keegan or Channon left really any different to how recent players have left? But, we still have our good memories of them.

The negative PR 'leaks' which emanate from the club about a player before he is sold leave a bad taste in the mouth and stir up a lot of bad feeling and even hatred of ex-players who served us well for many years. It would be preferable if there was just a dignified silence. Was the way that Keegan or Channon left really any different to how recent players have left? But, we still have our good memories of them.

We didnt have a forum then to discuss...

We didnt have a forum then to discuss...

And football was probably less central in the lives of many. It was just a game that you went to once or twice a week, paid on the gate, sung with your friends, generally had a good old time for not much money and then was forgotten until the next match.

Fonte has had his contract terminated at what was his current club.

What a fall from grace after winning the Euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/07/15/former-west-ham-star-jose-fonte-terminates-dalian-yifang-contract/382763/

Jose Fonte has terminated his contract with Chinese club Dalian Yifang, the club he joined from West Ham United earlier this year.

The Portuguese centre-back made eight appearances in the Premier League with West Ham last season, but the Hammers agreed to sell him for a fee of £5m.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/07/15/former-west-ham-star-jose-fonte-terminates-dalian-yifang-contract/382763/

Jose Fonte has terminated his contract with Chinese club Dalian Yifang, the club he joined from West Ham United earlier this year.

The Portuguese centre-back made eight appearances in the Premier League with West Ham last season, but the Hammers agreed to sell him for a fee of £5m.

He's 34 and been playing professional football for 16 years. It's about the time that many players retire. H's had a successful career, playing more than 500 games in England & Portugal and 35 for his country, as well as winning a European Championship. He might make a good coach. Good luck to him.

I remember being sad to see Terry Paine's career ending at Hereford and Cheltenham. At least he didn't go to Portsmouth, like C.B. Fry, Ivan Golac, Bobby Stokes, Mick Channon and Ron Davies did.

Although, I was unhappy at the time to see Lambert and Fonte sold, it looks like we sold them at the right time. There's little sentiment shown by clubs to ageing footballers and they know it. I don't understand why some fans expect it back from the players.

I remember being sad to see Terry Paine's career ending at Hereford and Cheltenham.

His move to Hereford was very successful. He controlled the midfield in a team that rose from the old Div 4 to Div 2 (and played Saints in the league). And he did it to continue his career, not for money.

I moved to Hereford at the same time as Terry Paine and he was a welcome link to Saints - really enjoyed watching him and the team whilst I could afford trips to Southampton.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If he couldn't get in to a poor (at that stage) West Ham side, who really is going to want him?

If he wants to play again, someone is going to have to pay the Chinese a transfer fee. I reckon Wham should be made to pay it back.......

Manchester United and England defender Luke Shaw, 23, has rejected the chance to sign for Everton. say Sunday Times

looks like he is going to just see his highly paid contract out at United. Gives him an extra year to get into shape. What a waste of talent.

IEI1yDI.jpg

He looks better now he's been to see Firmino's stylist.

Shaw.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=960

I know his missus pretty well. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at Spurs at some point.

A real shame that he’s ended up like this, should have been our LB this World Cup, but even when with us we had concerns about his lifestyle and fitness.

looks like he is going to just see his highly paid contract out at United. Gives him an extra year to get into shape. What a waste of talent.

IEI1yDI.jpg

Better make sure he doesn’t end up standing next to Ronaldo on the same beach!!!.........blimey Bob Geldof would be getting the band back to together one more time, and booking Wembley for a fund raiser!! :p

Ox out for the season :(

@_pauljoyce: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain set to miss season as he continues recovery from serious knee injury sustained in April. Jurgen Klopp says no setback but it will be a “bonus” if the midfielder plays competitively