Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Sometimes people just need a new challenge, and I am pleased for them both. A change of scenery. Tadic has blossomed again at Ajax, and Fonte seems to have had a second wind too. Let's not forget Fonte was awful at West Ham.

He was going off the boil with us before that

Means little really, the standard of Ligue is so low that any player with a grain of ability will look good in it. Don't watch a lot of French Football myself but I looked in at Montpellier-Marseille yesterday evening. Battle for 5th and 6th places, neither of them qualifiying for anything anyway. The game was just complete rubbish, probably League 1 at best. The state of the OM side brings to mind the old quote from Dolly Parton,"it costs a lot of money to look this cheap".

Edited by Window Cleaner

Means little really, the standard of Ligue is so low that any player with a grain of ability will look good in it. Don't watch a lot of French Football myself but I looked in at Montpellier-Marseille yesterday evening. Battle for 5th and 6th places, neither of them qualifiying for anything anyway. The game was just complete rubbish, probably League 1 at best. The state of the OM side brings to mind the old quote from Dolly Parton,"it costs a lot of money to look this cheap".
Couldn't agree more. He is now playing at a level where he can have an influence, and good on him. But for all the brilliant work he did for us, he was nowhere near the top of his game when he left. From what I witnessed his time at west ham was nothing short of embarrassing, and China appeared not to work either.

I am a great fan of Jose Fonte's, but (a la Vincent Kompany) top performers, know when it's time to leave the stage. To suggest that he could still do a job at this level is some way wide of the mark.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. He is now playing at a level where he can have an influence, and good on him. But for all the brilliant work he did for us, he was nowhere near the top of his game when he left. From what I witnessed his time at west ham was nothing short of embarrassing, and China appeared not to work either.

I am a great fan of Jose Fonte's, but (a la Vincent Kompany) top performers, know when it's time to leave the stage. To suggest that he could still do a job at this level is some way wide of the mark.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

WC’s bias against Ligue 1 and the french leagues is legendary. The standard of football isn’t great but it’s not as bad as he claims either. Whether that means Fonte could still do a job in the PL is extremely doubtful but it won’t stop some latching onto any old anecdote or tenuous insight to confirm their existing prejudices.

WC’s bias against Ligue 1 and the french leagues is legendary. The standard of football isn’t great but it’s not as bad as he claims either. Whether that means Fonte could still do a job in the PL is extremely doubtful but it won’t stop some latching onto any old anecdote or tenuous insight to confirm their existing prejudices.
How much French football do you watch in comparison to WC (who I believe lives in France)?

How much French football do you watch in comparison to WC (who I believe lives in France)?

Quite a bit, thanks to a thing called the internet. I’d happily wager Marseille or Montpellier could beat a L1 side, though according to WC, even that might be a stretch :lol:

Long article in today's Guardian with Van **** , apparently he went from Celtic and their passionate support to Liverpool because of their passionate support no mention of his career break then.................

Well it was at Celtic that his career really took off (apparently). And he needed all those column inches to tell us "graciously" (what!!!?) about how he nearly died from peritonitis caused by eating too much (really?) although he didn't really want to tell us about that but the interviewer forced it out of him, so there wasn't room to tell how Southampton brought him to the Premier League and the attention of the many rather than the ginger few.

Gareth Bale didn't even come off the bench in what was probably the last time he'll feature in a Real Madrid matchday squad.

Their fans are proper weird. Imagine not liking the guy who scored in 2 Champions League finals and won a cack load of trophies with them.

I imagine it is to do with Brexit and our encouragement of the Catalans to go kit alone.

VvD, Mane, Lovren and Lallana just won the Champions League..
Pleased for Mane especially.

Great player and has really kicked on since leaving Saints.

Fantastic scouting to get him in the first place. I think he is better than Salah.

Did Lallana and Lovren play tonight? I couldn't get past that blonde bird pitch invader, so might have missed them.

She was the only good part about the match.

Anyway, congratulations to Poch on cementing his place as the greatest manager in the world who's won **** all.

35-spurs.png

The whingeing ninnies on here who are jealous of just about every other club are starting to sound like Pompey fans. F--ing man up.

Let's concentrate on our own club's trophy cabinet because that's the one we want to see filled,

How exactly do we do that when we have players who are capable of winning trophies but they are poached at the earliest opportunity because of the unlevel playing field?

Honestly, watching Liverpool win the CL last night with a team assembled of players scouted and coached by other clubs who they then just threw money at has been one of if not the final nails in the coffin for me and top flight football.

I wasn’t particularly bothered who won until I went down the ale house to watch it. God there are some complete and utter bell ends who “support” Liverpool. Not a Liverpudlian amongst them, bunch of half baked glory hunters. Got into a bit of a ruck with one of them after I pointed out we’d won the premier league the same number of times as them. When they stated singing “are you watching Manchester” I ****ed off before I knocked one of them out (or at least tried to).

I’ve mates from Liverpool & I’m genuinely pleased for them and was straight on what’s app messaging them, but the ****ing local knob jockeys supporting them can do one. Sad sacks the lot of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyway, congratulations to Poch on cementing his place as the greatest manager in the world who's won **** all.

35-spurs.png

I wanted Poch to win.

Always complimentary to us. He’s not Koeman in the arrogance stakes.

Awesome manager for us, awesome manager full stop.

35-spurs.png

Hardly an area we can take the p!ss.

Last night was probably as good an outcome as we could have wished for.

The North London Yobbos lose, their fans don't get anything to get even gobbier about than they already are.

Most scousers wanted the League title which they didn't get. Liverpool win it low key fashion involving a debatable penalty in a poor game. This won't be remembered as one of those "special European nights... " forever more. They've won it five times before so are no more insufferable than they already are.

Shame VD got a winners medal, but as much of a c^nt as he is, you can't deny his talent . Amusing to see Oxlade -Chamberlain's ugly mug in the press celebrating as his contribution was f^ck all. No doubt Nivea will dine out on being an integral part of it as well.

Liverpool set out to defend and let Spurs have the ball , this worked very well. Kopp was determined not to lose yet another final ! Could Poch have done better ? perhaps not start Kane , put LLorente on earlier when they were reduced to hoof ball due to pools defence and better mid field display in the second half. Some of pools best players were the youngsters I thought.

Taters kept saying how hot and humid it was then moaned about the players ! Saw someone this morning that was there , he said it was like today here only twice as hot/humid . Thanks BT but disappointing final for the neutral , oh for the days of free to air semi finals etc ......

Read it again, that was not about their club. That was referring to their manager who will be on his way to Real Madrid soon, according to some.

The same manager that some said on here had no chance of getting Spurs into the top 4? He was a very good manager for us and he's achieved more at Spurs than most of the cynics on here dreamed was possible.

Les Reed's negative PR 'leaks' about the players and managers he fell out with seem to have mentally scarred some of our fans for life. Oh for the good old days when Channon, Davies and Ball went to Portsmouth and nobody thought anything of it. If you look at the careers of football players and managers they nearly all work for more than one club.

and Bobby Stokes.

The point is, there was never any of the rancour from our fans that there is today. Fans were working for their money and they knew that footballers were doing the same thing they would do in the same circumstances: getting the best jobs or, by the time they reached their thirties, the only jobs they could.

Footballers get paid a ridiculous amount of money but their careers are very short: maybe 10 years if they are lucky. And, as youngsters, they blow most of the money they earn very quickly the same as most of us would have done at the same age. How many 20-year-olds think about their pensions?

The bitter envy and hatred some of our fans feel towards people who are trying to better themselves and their families does our reputation no good whatsoever. If you were talented and hardworking enough to make it to the Premier League, wouldn't you want to play for a top club and win a medal or two and the most money you could when you had the chance?

Les Reed has a lot to answer for. He really turned our fans against the players and managers.

The point is, there was never any of the rancour from our fans that there is today. Fans were working for their money and they knew that footballers were doing the same thing they would do in the same circumstances: getting the best jobs or, by the time they reached their thirties, the only jobs they could.

Footballers get paid a ridiculous amount of money but their careers are very short: maybe 10 years if they are lucky. And, as youngsters, they blow most of the money they earn very quickly the same as most of us would have done at the same age. How many 20-year-olds think about their pensions?

The bitter envy and hatred some of our fans feel towards people who are trying to better themselves and their families does our reputation no good whatsoever. If you were talented and hardworking enough to make it to the Premier League, wouldn't you want to play for a top club and win a medal or two and the most money you could when you had the chance?

Les Reed has a lot to answer for. He really turned our fans against the players and managers.

Rubbish plenty of players leave and the fans still respect them. Lambert never suffered one minute of abuse after leaving for Liverpool. I've seen players like Ormerod and Cork subbed of the pitch, for opposition teams, to warm applause from saints fans. I'm pretty sure if Pelle, Tadic or JRod rocked up at SMS on matchday they'd get plenty of respect from the fans. The players who get grief are the ones who were seen as not going about a transfer in the right way. If you refuse to play, cause problems or meet opposition managers in seedy Blackpool hotels while under contract to SFC to force a move you deserve all the abuse you get.

Flip me, I was keen to bring him back even before I read that. At £5M it's a no-brainer.

However, I see Burnley are in for him and I expect he will want to go back there. But I would make an offer of maybe £7M to see if we can get him.

Flip me, I was keen to bring him back even before I read that. At £5M it's a no-brainer.

However, I see Burnley are in for him and I expect he will want to go back there. But I would make an offer of maybe £7M to see if we can get him.

That's not how a release fee works, not that I want him anyway.

I didn't say it was. Only that if multiple offers come in at £5M only one club can buy him. Offering £7M to get ahead in the process seems wide to me. And I do want him. He has proven he IS over his injury.

That's still not how it works. Any club that bids £5m gets to talk to him. If one club bids £5m and the other £7m then WBA can't choose who he signs for at that point. Bidding £7m would just be p1ssing £2m up against a wall for no reason at all.

Fonte is through to his second European final with Portugal and the Champions League with Lille. What a fantastic late career he's having. Surely he deserves a place on the legends banner as much as Keegan does.

Can I ask - why do you feel the need to constantly troll this forum? Does it give you some warm fuzzy feeling? Are you very lonely and crave the attention?? Seems a very strange thing you constantly do.

I didn't say it was. Only that if multiple offers come in at £5M only one club can buy him. Offering £7M to get ahead in the process seems wide to me. And I do want him. He has proven he IS over his injury.

Jay would never come back here