Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Not that it bothers me in the slightest (as I am secure in my support of Saints, accept where they are and am not going to change who I support), just musing with wry amusement, but I was listening to the talkSport this morning (I have no idea why I carry on with it!) and I just love the way that they introduce retired players and which clubs that they have played for. Today it was Razor Ruddock, ex Liverpool, Tottenham and West Ham. That's fine, but he played 115 times for Liverpool, 50 times for Spuds and 42 times for WHU.....and 107 times for us. Happens all the time really.

Works 2 ways sometimes though ....... always pleased that we rarely appear in Hairy Redkhunts CV when he is spouting a load of old bollards on TV.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39474472

So far, those defectors gone to ManU are failing (Shaw, Spiderman), those gone to Arsenal are not fulfilling their potentials (Walcott, Ox), but those gone to Liverpool are flourishing (Mane, Lallana, Clyne, Lorven)

The comment he made about Joe Hart there says to me Shaw had a chance to go abroad on loan and play regularly but turned it down.

Dare I say he was given too much too soon and doesn't want to work too hard anymore...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39474472

So far, those defectors gone to ManU are failing (Shaw, Spiderman), those gone to Arsenal are not fulfilling their potentials (Walcott, Ox), but those gone to Liverpool are flourishing (Mane, Lallana, Clyne, Lorven)

Morgan apart those that have gone to Man U and Arsenal (don't forget Chambers) all left young, for a big club, after one good season those that went to Liverpool were a bit older with more experience under their belt hopefully the more gifted academy boys in the future will take note and stay a few seasons before making the move ....probably not though

You have to agree with HK Saint and Doddisalegend. Shaw had too much too soon and is now being slated by his Manager. Looks like his eating habits are a matter of discussion as well as his lack of commitment. Shame, he did so well at Saints but they get pushed by their agents etc and I am sure their minds are turned by "the big club" etc. Bertrand is an example of been there done that and moved to a club that will give me a game and get me in the England team.

It's a shame the rest of them can't see that.

You have to agree with HK Saint and Doddisalegend. Shaw had too much too soon and is now being slated by his Manager. Looks like his eating habits are a matter of discussion as well as his lack of commitment. Shame, he did so well at Saints but they get pushed by their agents etc and I am sure their minds are turned by "the big club" etc. Bertrand is an example of been there done that and moved to a club that will give me a game and get me in the England team.

Why would a talented youngster look at Shaw and think yeah I don't want that...

I don't want to be at one of the biggest teams in the world

I don't want to earn millions

I don't want England call ups

Even if they did think Shaw had "Failed" (he's 21)

Wouldn't they just look at Bale instead?

Remember that time he went Burger King after our Swansea game away in 2013/14.

I do think the new generation of footballers will have been with brought up with more fast food

I'm sure i'm not the only one who remembers why he originally quit Twitter after it was revealed his Mrs had been a naughty girl on holiday.

Hopefully they'll do a Q and A session with him and we can find out how it feels to raise someone else's kid.

:rolleyes:

Yeah...that would be a good idea for the lad unless he wants to never play for Man utd again..

With that **** in charge I'd want to get out of there asap , would probably put in a transfer request the minute I heard his latest comments!

:rolleyes:

Yeah...that would be a good idea for the lad unless he wants to never play for Man utd again..

He's doomed at ManU. Van Gaal sussed the poor lad out in his first week and sealed his fate. In fact see the first post of this thread!

And incredibly, the second post of the thread shows that Jose already had it against Shaw getting on for 3 years ago.

Jose is a narcissistic bully. Shaw should get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by adrian lord

:(

Saints legend Rickie Lambert finding life tough at Cardiff

SAINTS legend Rickie Lambert is facing an uncertain future at Cardiff City.

Lambert has only featured in three games since the turn of the year, and none at all since February 11.

Today Cardiff boss Neil Warnock revealed Lambert is fully fit but he has not been good enough to warrant a regular place in his squad.

The former England international has struggled with a back problem, and Warnock said: "He is training but at the moment I don't think he's happy with his fitness.

"He's going to be training hard and trying to get back into the squad really.

"He's fully fit so it's not a matter of him not being fit now.

"It's just a case of, is he better than some of the others in the squad now, and I've felt not."

Lambert earned legendary status at St Mary's after plundering 106 league goals in 208 appearances for Saints between August 2009 and May 2014.

But since joining boyhood idols Liverpool for £4m, his career has stagnated.

Now 35, Lambert has only scored seven league goals since leaving Saints - two for Liverpool in 2014/15, one for West Brom in 2015/16 and four for Cardiff this term - in 25 starts plus 36 sub appearances.

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15210785.Saints_legend_Rickie_Lambert_finding_life_tough_at_Cardiff/?ref=rss

Can't see Shaw leaving United permanently. Man Utd will ask for a ridiculous fee and Shaw's massive wages will be a stumbling block.

If he is that unhappy I'm sure he would happily drop his wage demands to get out of man u and play regular football. He is probably already minted, could take a 50% pay cut and still be raking in 50K a week and at 21 still has plenty of time to earn more money its not like he is Jose Fonte starring down the barrel of 50 years of self enforced retirement.

Sad reading indeed. Shame that his career has just petered out over the last few years. Hope we can find some kind of role for him within the club when he hangs up his boots. We have a vacancy for a 'finding the back of the net' coach, don't we? ;)

Sad reading indeed. Shame that his career has just petered out over the last few years. Hope we can find some kind of role for him within the club when he hangs up his boots. We have a vacancy for a 'finding the back of the net' coach, don't we? ;)

Its such shame one of my all time favourite players I wish he could have ended his career gracefully here. While I know a small minority will never forgive him for leaving for Liverpool I think he will always have the respect of the majority of Saints fans (I miss singing his song at games to)

Its such shame one of my all time favourite players I wish he could have ended his career gracefully here. While I know a small minority will never forgive him for leaving for Liverpool I think he will always have the respect of the majority of Saints fans (I miss singing his song at games to)

Hang on a minute. I will never forgive him for leaving yet will always have the utmost respect for RL.

Had he represented Saints in Brasil and finished his top flight career with us I would regard him as a legend. LFC wanted the pr more than the footballer. They rinsed it.

Do I blame him though?

Not even slightly.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Beginning to think Fonte is a Saints secret agent at WHU. Whenever I see him play he's costing them goals it seems - really surprised as I thought he would settle in quickly and be an asset to them for a couple of years. Is it another shrewd piece of work by Saints along the lines of Rickie Lambert, is he just taking time to settle or is the WHU set up not suiting his style or what?

Certainly a mixed bag on KUMB when it comes to him.

I see they were really pulling Fonte to pieces on Gillette Soccer Saturday today! Phil Thompson pondering just what had caused the decline in his play following the transfer! He did seem to suggest it was playing alongside quality players at Southampton that made him perhaps look better.

I see they were really pulling Fonte to pieces on Gillette Soccer Saturday today! Phil Thompson pondering just what had caused the decline in his play following the transfer! He did seem to suggest it was playing alongside quality players at Southampton that made him perhaps look better.

He also said that Fonte was better than Van Dijk not so long ago so he has no idea what he's talking about.

I always thought Fonte was as culpable as Hooiveld in our first season back up. The latter never got the benefit of playing alongside Lovren, Toby or Virgil, in front of Forster or behind Wanyama or Romeu.

Fonte was good when he was here, I'm not trying to re-write history but it's a heck of a lot easier when you're alongside that kind of quality.

I always thought Fonte was as culpable as Hooiveld in our first season back up. The latter never got the benefit of playing alongside Lovren, Toby or Virgil, in front of Forster or behind Wanyama or Romeu.

Fonte was good when he was here, I'm not trying to re-write history but it's a heck of a lot easier when you're alongside that kind of quality.

One word Fox

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

He did have a bad season but thought he was back to his best when we went up to the Premier. Team balance I guess is obviously an issue but for most of his Saints career he was exceptional and his call up to Portugal was evidence of this.

I remember the days when it was Fonte who made the likes of Lovren etc good..

'Lovren etc.' being just Lovren. None of our CB's before Lovren looked good in the Prem. The CB's after have been Toby and Virg, I don't think anyone ever said Fonte made either of those two look good because it's pretty clear that they are world class centre backs in their own right. Lovren has then gone on to look very suspect at Liverpool so I think it's a fair point to suggest that Fonte did make Lovren look better than he was, just as Toby and Virg probably have done for Fonte in recent seasons.

'Lovren etc.' being just Lovren. None of our CB's before Lovren looked good in the Prem. The CB's after have been Toby and Virg, I don't think anyone ever said Fonte made either of those two look good because it's pretty clear that they are world class centre backs in their own right. Lovren has then gone on to look very suspect at Liverpool so I think it's a fair point to suggest that Fonte did make Lovren look better than he was, just as Toby and Virg probably have done for Fonte in recent seasons.

I'd suggest it was probably the manager (He's dramatically improved under Klopp as well) as he got the best out of 90% of our squad and is continuing to do so at Tottenham....

I don't think some on here appreciate how good a coach Poch actually is.

I'd suggest it was probably the manager (He's dramatically improved under Klopp as well) as he got the best out of 90% of our squad and is continuing to do so at Tottenham....

I don't think some on here appreciate how good a coach Poch actually is.

I think people do but perhaps don`t have him on such a high pedestal as some

I alslo dont think some appreciate how good a coach Puel is either

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

1 will end up a Real Madrid, the others peak management achievement will be a failed couple of months at Lyon.

1 will end up a Real Madrid, the others peak management achievement will be a failed couple of months at Lyon.

And i guess you are one of those kneeling before the pedestal...

So far what has your hero won? snatched 3rd place last year from the jaws of 2nd :scared:

Puel has done no more but reached a cup final...

For the record, i do rate Poch but don`t consider him a god and likewise with Puel

Shame - never really got a look in. Suspect he would have fared better in Puel's system than Koeman's.

I think Ronald prefers a team of big strapping lads to play a "mans" game I don't think Juanmi ( and to a lesser extent Cedric) really fitted into Koemans idea of a footballer.