Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I think from what I remember, we received £34.5 million for Mane with bonus clauses that could mean it rises to £38.5 million. No idea what the bonuses are, my guesses would involve PL appearances, goals and domestic trophy rather than European targets.

I do not think VVD had any such bonus clauses, and whilst many band the £75m figure, I would say we received more in the region of around £65m as Celtic took a bit too

Madrid have got cash problems. Their big spending days are, if not over, likely to be downsized for a while. That's why they didn't replace Ronaldo in the summer - couldn't really afford to. The only signing they made was Courtois, who was a straight swap from Chelsea for the outstanding balance on the Morata deal the previous year.

They're not destitute, but with an enormous wage bill and an aging squad on the wane, they're facing some serious rebuilding on a much tighter budget than they're used to.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

They've obviously found €50 million down the back of the sofa. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/14/real-madrid-sign-eder-militao-porto?CMP=twt_gu

Question is, do we have a sell on % for them and clauses such as extra cash if they win the league/Champions League? I always wish the Dippers the worst but if them winning either financially rewards us, I may have to allay my hatred...

More importantly, do we have a sell on % for them if they come close to winning something and f*ck it up in hilarious fashion?

When they got to the final last year this question was asked and I'm pretty sure there aren't any bonuses for Saints in them winning the CL and this was clarified at the Liverpool end. PL win, that may be different and would be surprised if there weren't some clauses in there.

Question of whether as a fan you really object to them winning the league if so or whether you'd RH had a better summer kitty until the club gets an owner with the neccessary clout for our relative stature (not top 6, but better than most even with a poor 2 years).

Haha, my thoughts exactly - I'd never wish them to win anything but it might be our only chance of being able to sign someone!

When they got to the final last year this question was asked and I'm pretty sure there aren't any bonuses for Saints in them winning the CL and this was clarified at the Liverpool end. PL win, that may be different and would be surprised if there weren't some clauses in there.

You wouldn't really expect any with old Les doing the negotiating for us. No wonder we've got no money left. Hopefully, we'll be a bit smarter in future.

I am hoping they win the league at least, to wipe that smile off Smug Pep's face. If we get any extra cash as a result, even better ....but even if we get nowt, go on Liverpool!!!!

Agreed. Liverpool might be annoying but at least they've earnt their success. If you were upset by them breaking the rules to speak to Van Dijk, what Man City are alleged to have done blows it out of the water.

I know Man City look corrupt as f*ck but i'm not really sure there's a massive difference between them, liverpool, manchester united or chelsea. They've all effectively just bought their success in recent years, hell Liverpool spent more than any other club in 2018, spending £177m on just 4 players.

The idea that they've "earned" their success is utter bullsh*t, they've bought their success, it just doesn't fit the media story to say that a team can jump from finishing 8th a few seasons back to challenging for the title by simply spending an absolute shedload of cash. Instead they have to make out that plucky Liverpool have built a team through hardwork and picking players completely out of obscurity.

I mean this is a club who've been accused of (or charged with) tapping up on multiple occasions and have outspent the teams around them more than once.

I'd expect of all the supporters ours would be the last to fall for the media claptrap, but it seems some actually have.

I know Man City look corrupt as f*ck but i'm not really sure there's a massive difference between them, liverpool, manchester united or chelsea. They've all effectively just bought their success in recent years, hell Liverpool spent more than any other club in 2018, spending £177m on just 4 players.

The idea that they've "earned" their success is utter bullsh*t, they've bought their success, it just doesn't fit the media story to say that a team can jump from finishing 8th a few seasons back to challenging for the title by simply spending an absolute shedload of cash. Instead they have to make out that plucky Liverpool have built a team through hardwork and picking players completely out of obscurity.

I mean this is a club who've been accused of (or charged with) tapping up on multiple occasions and have outspent the teams around them more than once.

I'd expect of all the supporters ours would be the last to fall for the media claptrap, but it seems some actually have.

Have City, Chelsea or United sold anyone in the same price range as Coutinho?

Have City, Chelsea or United sold anyone in the same price range as Coutinho?

Chelsea have certainly made quite a lot from fringe players (which is part of their business model).

Not sure what it total's up to though. Certainly nowhere near Coutinho levels.

City have started to do it now as well. (Gunn / Diaz / Matondo etc).

I am hoping they win the league at least, to wipe that smile off Smug Pep's face. If we get any extra cash as a result, even better ....but even if we get nowt, go on Liverpool!!!!

So you are going to be perfectly happy to live with the sycophantic, arse licking media live fest for Liverpool until the end of time?

You don't mind that Liverpool have bought their success from Southampton in ways that might be considered exactly sporting?

The players that stuck two fingers up to the club that made them and acted in a less than acceptable manner to force their move?

I personally hope that Liverpool win nothing forever and they lose their talent to bigger clubs in the same way they treated us. Then they really can put on the crocodile tears and really be victims.

But I am genuinely dreading any success because of the bo11ocks that will come from the media and the way Liverpool will be held up as deserved of success, the annoying scouser accents that will be on every soundbite, Mark Lawrenson and his smug face, Van Dijk, Lovren and Lallana being treated as heroes when in fact they are lower than a rattlesnakes belly.

I don't want to have to hear teary eyed pundits hailing the team and their magnificence which will be blown out of all proportion, elevating Liverpool as a higher power then God, the sheer bloody annoyance of anything to do with bloody Liverpool, how many times will we hear how this is somehow justice for 'the 96' etc etc.

I would rather see Pep looking smug than anyone connected to frigging Liverpool.

So you are going to be perfectly happy to live with the sycophantic, arse licking media live fest for Liverpool until the end of time?

You don't mind that Liverpool have bought their success from Southampton in ways that might be considered exactly sporting?

The players that stuck two fingers up to the club that made them and acted in a less than acceptable manner to force their move?

I personally hope that Liverpool win nothing forever and they lose their talent to bigger clubs in the same way they treated us. Then they really can put on the crocodile tears and really be victims.

But I am genuinely dreading any success because of the bo11ocks that will come from the media and the way Liverpool will be held up as deserved of success, the annoying scouser accents that will be on every soundbite, Mark Lawrenson and his smug face, Van Dijk, Lovren and Lallana being treated as heroes when in fact they are lower than a rattlesnakes belly.

I don't want to have to hear teary eyed pundits hailing the team and their magnificence which will be blown out of all proportion, elevating Liverpool as a higher power then God, the sheer bloody annoyance of anything to do with bloody Liverpool, how many times will we hear how this is somehow justice for 'the 96' etc etc.

I would rather see Pep looking smug than anyone connected to frigging Liverpool.

You seriously believe that our board and owners didn't want to sell those players to Liverpool? The only reason the van Dijk sale was delayed was because Gao wouldn't part with his money to Kat if she sold any more players before he took over. Of course, Les Reed put a PR spin on it. That's what he was good at: hoodwinking the fans.

You seriously believe that our board and owners didn't want to sell those players to Liverpool? The only reason the van Dijk sale was delayed was because Gao wouldn't part with his money to Kat if she sold any more players before he took over. Of course, Les Reed put a PR spin on it. That's what he was good at: hoodwinking the fans.

I’ve seen this a few times - interested where there is proof. Can you point me in the right direction?

Liverpool have 100% bought their way to being a title challenger. To not win any trophies is an embarrassment to them and a big mark against Klopp imo.

VVD £75m

Alisson £66m

Keita £53m

Fabinho £40m

Oxlade-Chamberlain £35m

Salah £34m

Mane £34m

Firmino £29m

Wijnaldum £25m

Lallana £25m

Lovren £20m

£604m for transfers in over the last 5 seasons. How they haven't won a trophy is beyond me. The media love-in is ridiculous.

Agreed. Liverpool might be annoying but at least they've earnt their success. If you were upset by them breaking the rules to speak to Van Dijk, what Man City are alleged to have done blows it out of the water.

I dislike Man City immensely (and Chelsea to a lesser extent) on a matter of principle of how they have bought their success.

But everything about Liverpool is odious, not least van Dijk virtually going on strike to force his move to them (and the way the media - filled with scousers - encouraged it). I feel similarly about Spurs really - if any club 'deserves' to win something as a reward for running the club the right way it's them, but I'm still bitter about the fact that it's the guy they nabbed from us that has brought them that success.

i think it would be liverpool vs man u / barca semi

Are the SF's still pre-determined from the QF draw, or now made separately ? I've seen no mention of the seeding, and potential SF opponents so had assumed this will be drawn again after the next round.

Just seen this on BBC:

The semi-final draw was also made and Manchester United will meet Liverpool if both win their last-eight ties.

So, Liverpool v Man Utd or Barcelona...

Possibly City v Juventus though in the other semi-final.

Big piece in the Sunday Times about Mane today.

Apparently his 'value' now exceeds £100m

Same with VVD I guess.

Unlikely, but it would be good if there were %'s from further sales within the transfer dealings with Liverpool

It's the clubs that bought our best players who usually profited from them the most. At the time Mane was sold, it appeared we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. The SFC showroom was like a revolving door. Mane was here for less than 2 years. We could have kept him for another year and benefitted a lot more.

It's the clubs that bought our best players who usually profited from them the most. At the time Mane was sold, it appeared we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. The SFC showroom was like a revolving door. Mane was here for less than 2 years. We could have kept him for another year and benefitted a lot more.

Trouble is that we’ll never know. We can’t rewrite history. Perhaps we’d have got 50-60M a year later, perhaps it might not have mattered. There’s also a possibility either he went on a sulk/strike, got badly injured, had a confidence crisis. So many outcomes, we had to choose to stick or twist, not a choice I’d have relished making.

Trouble is that we’ll never know. We can’t rewrite history. Perhaps we’d have got 50-60M a year later, perhaps it might not have mattered. There’s also a possibility either he went on a sulk/strike, got badly injured, had a confidence crisis. So many outcomes, we had to choose to stick or twist, not a choice I’d have relished making.

£60m for a player with a year left on his contract? He'd have gone for about £20m, regardless of his performances.

£60m for a player with a year left on his contract? He'd have gone for about £20m, regardless of his performances.

Exactly. Hence all the “perhaps”.

Add another million to his value, he just scored vs Fulham, lovely movement, so easy. Miss him.

• 2 weeks later...
Jose Fonte scored one of the goals as his Lille team beat Paris St Germain 5-1 to secure their Champions League place. What an inspirational captain he is.

https://www.facebook.com/F6NTE/photos/a.1554182424812390/2374086399488651/?type=3&theater

Whilst I have no love for PSG, that sending off in the 1st half was officiating of the Kevin Friend/Lee Mason school.