Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I'm a little surprised Puel has lasted there (so far).

Not too surprising really, Leicester's owners are smarter than ours.

Puel = two top half finishes, Silva gets relegated at one and sacked at another. There is literally no comparison between them, it's like comparing Pochettino to Pardew.

Puel and Silva have very similar premier league win %

Difference is one has managed Hull and Watford while the other has managed Southampton and the recent league champions Leicester.

I'm happy to wager a few quid that Everton (Silva) will finish above Leicester (Puel) next season.

Wonder if Always and /or Pamplemousse will put money where there mouth is?

Difference is one has managed Hull and Watford while the other has managed Southampton and the recent league champions Leicester.

I'm happy to wager a few quid that Everton (Silva) will finish above Leicester (Puel) next season.

I don't do gambling in general, but thanks for the offer.

I have not said otherwise just don`t swoon over Silva like some of you groupies... and not i am not remotely interested in either`s finishing position.

All i have said is that if Silva is some kind of super manager why is he settling for just Everton?

His stock is so high according to the you and a few others he should be looking at a football giant surely ?

However its more likely because he isn't that good its the best offer he is likely to get..

Guess it all comes down to money. There would probably be a transfer fee of close to £100 million so that only really leaves City or Chelsea in the running. Could United afford to spend that sort of money so soon after buying Pogba who hasn’t exactly set the world alight. If if he comes to the Prem it’ll be because he wants to win it so I’d expect him to end up at City.
A couple of years ago he said the only team he would come back to play for would be Cardiff. That was a couple of years ago and we know, money talks.

I have not said otherwise just don`t swoon over Silva like some of you groupies... and not i am not remotely interested in either`s finishing position.

All i have said is that if Silva is some kind of super manager why is he settling for just Everton?

His stock is so high according to the you and a few others he should be looking at a football giant surely ?

However its more likely because he isn't that good its the best offer he is likely to get..

Where has anyone claimed he’s a super manager? As far as I’ve seen, most have (correctly IMO) pointed out that he is better than Puel and Pellegrino and that we should have appointed him in the summer.

Where has anyone claimed he’s a super manager? As far as I’ve seen, most have (correctly IMO) pointed out that he is better than Puel and Pellegrino and that we should have appointed him in the summer.

From what i`ve seen he was no better than Puel as he did nothing special but may prove to be better as time passes, agree with you that he is bettter than Pellegrino as far as appointing him, not for me

as he is distracted to easily with the offer of cash and will like be again if he does prove his worth...

Thanks for responding sensibly unlike our resident multi log-in troll

"But the lure of moving back to Spain, where he spent eight years as a player before cutting his managerial teeth with Espanyol between 2009-2012, may prove too strong to resist.".

I guess the opportunity to be the manager of one of the very biggest Football Clubs in the World, wouldn't even enter his head.............. its also a club where you can go "and fail" and your CV remains intact due to them being a trigger happy bunch at board level.

...........and to add to the fun, with Ronaldo claiming to be on his way, Pochettino knows of a lad with the knack to pop up in the box and stick the ball away.

Blimey it must be like the Farmer just changed the Calendar to December in the Turkey shed in many a North London home.

I did, they massively underachieved last year.

Silva is a decent manager, he’ll inprove them significantly.

So was Koeman. It doesn't really matter though despite their ridiculous spending the last couple of years Everton are as far of the top six as everyone else. The PL is six teams and 14 relegation candidates now meaning they won't improve significantly over where they ended up this season.

Weird. The forum experts told us he’s no good?

well it would certainly be a chance for him to prove he can translate his style to superstar players not sure the likes of Ronaldo will fancy doing double training sessions. I have a sneaky feeling that poch knows he is on a good thing at Spurs though biggish team, decent squad filled with players that buy into his philosophy and no real pressure to win anything.

So was Koeman. It doesn't really matter though despite their ridiculous spending the last couple of years Everton are as far of the top six as everyone else. The PL is six teams and 14 relegation candidates now meaning they won't improve significantly over where they ended up this season.

Koeman is a good manager. Had they signed Giroud, as they looked very likely to up until the very last minute (very similar to us putting all eggs in Tuchel basket), then he (Koeman) would still be in a job.

IMO, Everton will qualify for Europe this season, whilst playing a better style of football than under BFS. So I’d argue that he will improved them.

Everton are light years ahead of us in terms of competing with the top 6. A season of uncertainty with Arsenal, Chelsea and possibly Tottenham. 4-7th could be up for grabs. If anyone does, it’ll be Everton IMO (Personally, as things stand, I think they’ll finish 7th).

Ultimately this comes back to the argument that we should have appointed Silva after (and instead of) Puel... which on the balance of things I still believe we should have.

I disagree that EFC are light years ahead of us. What they do have is an owner (who ever that might actually be!!) who is interested in trying to push the club forward and is funding it as such. It somewhat depends on what our new owner wants to do. Looking at the evidence thus far, I will have to contradict what I said about EFC not being light years ahead.

Koeman is a good manager. Had they signed Giroud, as they looked very likely to up until the very last minute (very similar to us putting all eggs in Tuchel basket), then he (Koeman) would still be in a job.

IMO, Everton will qualify for Europe this season, whilst playing a better style of football than under BFS. So I’d argue that he will improved them.

Everton are light years ahead of us in terms of competing with the top 6. A season of uncertainty with Arsenal, Chelsea and possibly Tottenham. 4-7th could be up for grabs. If anyone does, it’ll be Everton IMO (Personally, as things stand, I think they’ll finish 7th).

Ultimately this comes back to the argument that we should have appointed Silva after (and instead of) Puel... which on the balance of things I still believe we should have.

Light years :lol: , you do like to exaggerate, their squad is ok and nothing special but then i remember your posted as fact statement about Bertrand.. :rolleyes:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Light years :lol: , you do like to exaggerate, their squad is ok and nothing special but then i remember your posted as fact statement about Bertrand.. :rolleyes:

They’re a club on the way up, we’re a club on the decline. If the difference isn’t light years now, it will be in a few seasons.

I hope I’m wrong, but suspect I’m not.

They’re a club on the way up, we’re a club on the decline. If the difference isn’t light years now, it will be in a few seasons.

I hope I’m wrong, but suspect I’m not.

How are they on the up, they are still finishing in similar positions as they have for years, the only difference is

they are chucking cash about with has resulted in no improvement in their success... they will not break into the top six so the best they can expect is what they are doing now imo

How are they on the up, they are still finishing in similar positions as they have for years, the only difference is

they are chucking cash about with has resulted in no improvement in their success... they will not break into the top six so the best they can expect is what they are doing now imo

An owner who wants to push the club on.

A new stadium.

A new young coach.

Koeman and Walcott obviously thought they were a better prospect than us.

An owner who wants to push the club on.

A new stadium.

A new young coach.

Koeman and Walcott obviously thought they were a better prospect than us.

That`s all well and good but it will not get them any further than they are now, the big players will not come if given the choice of the big six.... sorry but it`s true

If they are investing that amount of cash it is just a matter of time. Likewise if our club continues to cash in and not invest it's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens and we go down.

If they are investing that amount of cash it is just a matter of time. Likewise if our club continues to cash in and not invest it's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens and we go down.

I agree about us, we need to invest wisely..

As far as Everton goes splashing the cash will all be down to who they can attract to invest well and i don`t see top players going there,

they may attract some players not wanted by the big boys yet but those players will move on once proven much like ours have in the past eg Mane

I agree about us, we need to invest wisely..

As far as Everton goes splashing the cash will all be down to who they can attract to invest well and i don`t see top players going there,

they may attract some players not wanted by the big boys yet but those players will move on once proven much like ours have in the past eg Mane

Possibly, but look at Burnley who very nearly broke the top 6 this season. Everton have a much stronger squad than Burnley and now have a manager who IMO will get the best out of them.

No one knows how Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham (especially) will cope with a new manager. Unlikely yes, but they are much closer than we are to finishing top 6... sorry but it’s the truth.

Possibly, but look at Burnley who very nearly broke the top 6 this season. Everton have a much stronger squad than Burnley and now have a manager who IMO will get the best out of them.

No one knows how Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham (especially) will cope with a new manager. Unlikely yes, but they are much closer than we are to finishing top 6... sorry but it’s the truth.

At present we have no idea who will finish nearest to the top six, it`s the close season and lots of ins and outs are going to happen across the Premier league.

Being honest, there is no truth just opinions.... either one of us could finish nearer to the six... time will tell

This should be a fun one to watch.....

Real Madrid without a manager and possibly without Ronaldo and/or Bale....

Managers in consideration have to be Poch and Klopp...players in consideration have to be Salah and Kane depending on what sort of World Cup they have.... It Couldn't happen to two nicer clubs!

Fonte won his 30th cap for Portugal tonight in, playing the full 94 minutes in a 0-0 draw against a Belgium team, which included Lukaku, De Bruyne and Hazard. It would be great to see him add a World Cup winner's medal to his European Championship winner's one. Although underrated by many Saints fans, he was the team leader and backbone of our rise from League One to the top 6 of the Premier League. He has arguably been our most influential defender and captain this century. Since his departure, we've not been the same.

Fonte won his 30th cap for Portugal tonight in, playing the full 94 minutes in a 0-0 draw against a Belgium team, which included Lukaku, De Bruyne and Hazard. It would be great to see him add a World Cup winner's medal to his European Championship winner's one. Although underrated by many Saints fans, he was the team leader and backbone of our rise from League One to the top 6 of the Premier League. He has arguably been our most influential defender and captain this century. Since his departure, we've not been the same.

Will we ever know who was the reason for the fall out post 2016 ?

Fonte returning as a changed bloke with a greater ego ? Shame his end with us was tarnished, but wouldn't begrudge him some success in the WC.

Will we ever know who was the reason for the fall out post 2016 ?

Fonte returning as a changed bloke with a greater ego ? Shame his end with us was tarnished, but wouldn't begrudge him some success in the WC.

He wasn't exactly given a hero's welcome by the club after he won the European Championship, was he? I think they'd already decided it was the last opportunity to get a big transfer fee for him. Then we got the usual club PR spin about how he was unsettling the rest of the team and something that sounded as though it came straight out of Les Reed's mouth, the oft-repeated "Billy big boll--ks," which was a load of boll--ks as Fonte has always struck me as being a very humble chap compared to most Premier League footballers. Les Reed has a bigger ego than Fonte.

If Fonte hadn't been badly, badly advised by his agent (including promises that simply weren't true) he'd have gone on to be a true Saints legend and it would've been him in the position Kelvin currently is, and him being groomed as a future manager for the club.

Sadly he acted a complete pr*ck because someone had made him false promises. Of all the players that left badly i hate Fonte the least, and if anything actually feel sorry for him. He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets, and he genuinely loved the club and felt an affinity to the fans.

He wasn't exactly given a hero's welcome by the club after he won the European Championship, was he? I think they'd already decided it was the last opportunity to get a big transfer fee for him. Then we got the usual club PR spin about how he was unsettling the rest of the team and something that sounded as though it came straight out of Les Reed's mouth, the oft-repeated "Billy big boll--ks," which was a load of boll--ks as Fonte has always struck me as being a very humble chap compared to most Premier League footballers. Les Reed has a bigger ego than Fonte.

We should have made him a cake. These little snowflake players need a cake as recognition for being loved.

If Fonte hadn't been badly, badly advised by his agent (including promises that simply weren't true) he'd have gone on to be a true Saints legend and it would've been him in the position Kelvin currently is, and him being groomed as a future manager for the club.

Sadly he acted a complete pr*ck because someone had made him false promises. Of all the players that left badly i hate Fonte the least, and if anything actually feel sorry for him. He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets, and he genuinely loved the club and felt an affinity to the fans.

Would there be any way back for him, not as a player but as coach perhaps

Despite no trophies Spurs do have something going. A bond and united team it seems

Despite winning nothing and despite not paying the huge wages (like Man C/U, Liverpool,Chelsea) they have held onto top players.

Shows it can be done and probably/possibly where we were heading under Cortese.

van Dijk, and Reed's move to make VvD captain for the long term. That worked out well, didn't it? ****ed off Fonte and VvD left anyway. Master stroke by Tweedle dum.

didn't he come back from euros demanding a huge pay rise or a transfer to United? ( even though it was nothing more than news papers gossip that united wanted him LOL ) that's what I heard anyway, I don't know if true or not, but I cant think I would have been lied to as he was highly thought of by a lot of players until after the euors, so he must have done some thing to upset the club n his fellow team mates.

didn't he come back from euros demanding a huge pay rise or a transfer to United? ( even though it was nothing more than news papers gossip that united wanted him LOL ) that's what I heard anyway, I don't know if true or not, but I cant think I would have been lied to as he was highly thought of by a lot of players until after the euors, so he must have done some thing to upset the club n his fellow team mates.

That was a rumour posted on here that became a fact as people tried to cope with the Fonte fallout.

Watch some of Fontes interviews he did after leaving (he did a few) he says he never agitated for a move. I'd probably prefer to trust Fonte over Barry_from_southampton or whoever it was that posted the original Fonte to Man U rumor after he heard it from a friend of a friends friends dad's sister.

You seem to forget that the contract he had signed 6 months earlier became not good enough and he handed in a transfer request. And let's not be naive about it, things like this - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/20/manchester-united-jose-mourinho-southampton-jose-fonte - from August 2016 don't just appear because of Barry's mate's dad's dog's sister's girlfriend started a rumour.

Me, I was ambivalent about it. He was getting slower and had had his best days behind him, regardless that he picked up a Euro medal. His performances at WHU show that perfectly and were exacerbated because his CB partner's legs had also gone.

That was a rumour posted on here that became a fact as people tried to cope with the Fonte fallout.

Watch some of Fontes interviews he did after leaving (he did a few) he says he never agitated for a move. I'd probably prefer to trust Fonte over Barry_from_southampton or whoever it was that posted the original Fonte to Man U rumor after he heard it from a friend of a friends friends dad's sister.

TBF I think we would have all believed the Fonte stuff if the info had come from somewhere reliable like Kenya...

You seem to forget that the contract he had signed 6 months earlier became not good enough and he handed in a transfer request. And let's not be naive about it, things like this - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/20/manchester-united-jose-mourinho-southampton-jose-fonte - from August 2016 don't just appear because of Barry's mate's dad's dog's sister's girlfriend started a rumour.

Me, I was ambivalent about it. He was getting slower and had had his best days behind him, regardless that he picked up a Euro medal. His performances at WHU show that perfectly and were exacerbated because his CB partner's legs had also gone.

Exactly. Fonte was brilliant for us, but he got caught up in all of the hype after the Euros unfortunately. The club did the right thing and let him go, but to be honest he was absolutely dog shyte for West Ham. Shame how it ended up but for me the club did the right thing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk