Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Without wishing to put a too simplistic slant on things, didn't he just go to a bigger club that offered him more money. You know, a bit like all the other defectors have.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Had we promised to push on / continue the project? Yes, without a doubt. As would have half the players that left.

It doesn’t matter who is in charge or what the project is, Spurs and Liverpool will always be able to steal our players.

The only way to stop it happening would be to have an owner willing to chuck hundreds of millions of their own cash down the toilet. Even then it would be a struggle.

Nice to see the delusions live on. What a fu cking joke.

It’s nkt delusions, it’s a fact.

If he had no intention to stay, why would he had even contemplated listen to what the club could offer?

It doesn’t matter who is in charge or what the project is, Spurs and Liverpool will always be able to steal our players.

The only way to stop it happening would be to have an owner willing to chuck hundreds of millions of their own cash down the toilet. Even then it would be a struggle.

How many players did Spurs / Liverpool steal when Cortese was at the club? So yes, it does make a difference.

How many players did Spurs / Liverpool steal when Cortese was at the club? So yes, it does make a difference.

:lol: how many players from the lower leagues have spurs and Liverpool bought over recent years. Dele Ali is about all I can come up with there might be one or two others. We had one player that a PL club wanted when NC was here and how did that turn out.....oh yeah he folded like a pack of cards because Oxo's family made it difficult...

Lol....Love it.

They didn’t “steal” anyone, they made offers and these were accepted. You know, like Cortese did with Arsenal & Ox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: how many players from the lower leagues have spurs and Liverpool bought over recent years. Dele Ali is about all I can come up with

Liverpool have signed Robertson from Hull, Tony Gallacher from Falkirk, Danny Ings from Burnley (when in Championship), Gomez from Charlton, Bogdan from Bolton, Adam from Blackpool, Danny Ward from Wrexham.

Same year that Lallana was hidden from everyone, buried in league 1 Liverpool signed Shelvey from err league 1 Charlton.

There has been over 100 transfers from lower league to premiership clubs last few years.....

But you're probably right. Our players were invisible until Cortese left.

Lol....Love it.

They didn’t “steal” anyone, they made offers and these were accepted. You know, like Cortese did with Arsenal & Ox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was quoting steal, his words not mine.

As for Ox, he went to a top 4 PL team whilst we were in L1. A massive difference to selling your best players year on year to a rival in the same division.

Thats a bit rich from someone who wanted out of Saints at any cost,,,,,,,,,

He loved it here and really didn’t want to move his family away so no he didn’t want out at any cost more to do with ambition bit like the koeman situation as well

Liverpool have signed Robertson from Hull , Tony Gallacher from Falkirk, Danny Ings from Burnley (when in Championship), Gomez from Charlton, Bogdan from Bolton, Adam from Blackpool, Danny Ward from Wrexham.

Same year that Lallana was hidden from everyone, buried in league 1 Liverpool signed Shelvey from err league 1 Charlton.

There has been over 100 transfers from lower league to premiership clubs last few years.....

But you're probably right. Our players were invisible until Cortese left.

Roberston had just played a season in the PL with Hull

Falkirik isn't lower league its a foreign league different question

Ings was signed after a season playing in the PL

Gomez far enough basically an Oxo situation

Bogdan was signed as a back up keeper

Adam was signed after playing a season in the PL

Ward another practically unused back up keeper.

So in other words hardly any apart from one wonder kid, Players who had already played in the PL and back up keepers how did nik-nak ever fend off all those offers.

He loved it here and really didn’t want to move his family away so no he didn’t want out at any cost more to do with ambition bit like the koeman situation as well

They won’t listen, it doesn’t fit the agenda mate.

Reality is, him and Koeman we’re both too good for us/our ambition. Don’t begrudge either of them. Only ‘defector’ I can’t stand is Lallana, the Rat.

Lovren /VvD went about things all the wrong way but in reality owed us nothing and it was to be expected.

Well clearly that's not true if he loved it he would have stayed. Its like saying I love my wife but this sexy 21 year old is more attractive so I'm going to leave her. I still love her though....honest

I’m very sure I know a lot more than you, sweetheart xx
That I very much doubt, especially if we are talking about the Cortese era.

Try and remember this sh ite has been dealt with five years ago when we had people pretending that Adam Lallana only ever left because he was broken hearted that Les Reed never returned his phone calls.

My recommendation to you is to try and apply perspective to the information you get given, and before you get all excited about It, try and think through why people might tell you things.

But you carry on blubbering away. It could have been us it could have been us it could have been us it could have us it could have been it could have been it could have been

That I very much doubt, especially if we are talking about the Cortese era.

Try and remember this sh ite has been dealt with five years ago when we had people pretending that Adam Lallana only ever left because he was broken hearted that Les Reed never returned his phone calls.

My recommendation to you is to try and apply perspective to the information you get given, and before you get all excited about It, try and think through why people might tell you things.

But you carry on blubbering away. It could have been us it could have been us it could have been us it could have us it could have been it could have been it could have been

I’m not going to get into a my d!ck is bigger than yours ‘ITK’ fight. I have no reason to doubt what I have been from a very good contact in the club at the time.

I know, for a fact, Poch sat down with the club and listened to their offer and proposition. Of course it could have all been a bluff, but if he had no interest in staying, why would he have done that? Why didn’t he walk out mid-season?

As for the Lallana thing, I’ve no doubt that had Poch stayed, he and a few other would have as well. The squad literally loved him. I for one never said that Les Reed not returning his calls was why he left, he was going regardless at that point and to be fair both parties had a part to play in how he left, but as captain and after all we done for him, he should have treated the club with more respect - however, the blokes a rat.

As for ‘it could have been us’, we had a great opportunity with a young, talented squad to push on. Imagine Poch had Mane, Toby/VvD when he was with us with the others we had in that squad.

Who knows how things could have panned out, but in my mind we missed a very big opportunity to at the very least become a regular top 7/6 side - that’s goes for when we lost Koeman as well, both very good managers, Poch was just the better coach IMO.

I’m not going to get into a my d!ck is bigger than yours ‘ITK’ fight. I have no reason to doubt what I have been from a very good contact in the club at the time.

I know, for a fact, Poch sat down with the club and listened to their offer and proposition. Of course it could have all been a bluff, but if he had no interest in staying, why would he have done that? Why didn’t he walk out mid-season?

As for the Lallana thing, I’ve no doubt that had Poch stayed, he and a few other would have as well. The squad literally loved him. I for one never said that Les Reed not returning his calls was why he left, he was going regardless at that point and to be fair both parties had a part to play in how he left, but as captain and after all we done for him, he should have treated the club with more respect - however, the blokes a rat.

As for ‘it could have been us’, we had a great opportunity with a young, talented squad to push on. Imagine Poch had Mane, Toby/VvD when he was with us with the others we had in that squad.

Who knows how things could have panned out, but in my mind we missed a very big opportunity to at the very least become a regular top 7/6 side - that’s goes for when we lost Koeman as well, both very good managers, Poch was just the better coach IMO.

Because he had the nice new job ready for him after the season ended. No skin off his nose to finish off the season with us.

At the end of the day you are using the fact that Pochettino left as evidence that he would have stayed. How exactly does that work?

He spoke to his current employer before taking a job elsewhere. Guess what, those kind of meetings happen up and down the country in all businesses everywhere all the time. Every single day.

And guess what, those people that then leave say all kinds of things to the people they leave behind or their friends or their new employers. And often what they say to those people can vary wildly depending on who they speak to and when. (I told them they can stick their job//thanks for your support, no hard feelings, I've learned a lot here, all the best keep in touch//yeah, it was a good job but I went as far as I could, I got a bit stale//you'll never believe how much I'm on now couldn't turn that down//etc)

As I said before, apply perspective.

Because he had the nice new job ready for him after the season ended. No skin off his nose to finish off the season with us.
Completely.

We're now supposed to believe that him not walking out in a huff with no job to go to in January 2014 having been at the club for an entire single year, now qualifies him as the most loyal manager football has ever seen and evidence of his undying love for a club he had worked at for all of twelve months.

Cortese flogged Chamberlain. If Liverpool wanted them they would have gone.

Cortese got an incredible deal for oxlade. Its laughable to even try to criticise that deal. It was for a record amount for a 3rd tier player, and one with less than 6months football under his belt. Not only that, but it directly helped secure our promotion to the premier league.

The Reedists on here, and also the cortese bashers, need to get their arguments straight.

Cortese got an incredible deal for oxlade. Its laughable to even try to criticise that deal. It was for a record amount for a 3rd tier player, and one with less than 6months football under his belt. Not only that, but it directly helped secure our promotion to the premier league.

The Reedists on here, and also the cortese bashers, need to get their arguments straight.

Plus I seem to remember his father constantly agitating for a move during that time.

Also, how is selling one player, as you said for an incredible dea in the third tier, the same as selling however many we did that summer after we’d just finished 8th in the PL.

I wasn’t Cortese biggest fan, but the players and management staff at that time were. Had he stayed, so would have they 100%. And for what it’s worth, I know that pretty much first hand.

All if and buts now, I suppose.

Also, how is selling one player, as you said for an incredible dea in the third tier, the same as selling however many we did that summer after we’d just finished 8th in the PL.

I wasn’t Cortese biggest fan, but the players and management staff at that time were. Had he stayed, so would have they 100%. And for what it’s worth, I know that pretty much first hand.

Genuine question, which bids for our best players did Cortese turn down? It’s the first I have heard of this.

Genuine question, which bids for our best players did Cortese turn down? It’s the first I have heard of this.

Paul jewell mentioned a few times that Ipswich tried many times to sign lambert from us both during our league 1 time and the summer we got promoted and would have been a substantial bid for the time

Whether that is in the same level or not,don't know

United have seemed keen on Poch since he was with us but his lack of winning anything must poor cold water on that one.

Which begs the question would Madrid entertain the idea either.

Just shows you it it is players that win Trophies not Managers

Tottenhams players are pretty good but apart from Kane not exceptional

What you know is what people may have told you and what you want to believe. Anyone can give a bit of soft-soap from the comfort of the fat salary and new club that they can pretend to the likes of you that they never weally weally wanted to go honest they didnt.

At the end of the day he did not stay and there were reasons for that.

If he is such an astonishingly good football leader who guarantees season after season of success then why has no other football club taken him on?

I repeat again - apply perspective.

I didn't criticise the deal, just showing that when a big club comes in for a player there is little Cortese or anyone else can do except maybe delay the inevitable.

Liverpool didn't buy Lallana and co when we were lower leagues for the same reason they didn't buy Van Dyke from Celtic, or Mane from Salzburg - they waited for us to showcase their talents in the Prem. Our whole business model is built on buying players the big clubs are looking at but not taking a punt on, then selling them for a massive profit after a season or two in the Prem.

The idea that with a certain chairman in charge we somehow become as desirable a club as Liverpool and Spurs is ****ing nuts.

I didn't criticise the deal, just showing that when a big club comes in for a player there is little Cortese or anyone else can do except maybe delay the inevitable.

Liverpool didn't buy Lallana and co when we were lower leagues for the same reason they didn't buy Van Dyke from Celtic, or Mane from Salzburg - they waited for us to showcase their talents in the Prem. Our whole business model is built on buying players the big clubs are looking at but not taking a punt on, then selling them for a massive profit after a season or two in the Prem.

The idea that with a certain chairman in charge we somehow become as desirable a club as Liverpool and Spurs is ****ing nuts.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say that and I don't think (happy to be corrected) anyone has.

On a personal note, all I'm saying is that had Cortese stayed, or probably more accurate, had our ambition not changed, MP would have stayed - of course that's impossible to prove now.

The players (and pretty much everyone in the club) loved MP and him going had a major part to play in the "mass exodus".

You mention our 'Business model', that is accurate to what it currently is. This wasn't the case with Cortese in charge of the club, rightly or wrongly that's a different argument.

Cortese had an ambition for the club (I'm not saying that he went about it the right way) and that ambition died the day he was sack, not replaced and Kat decided she didn't want to / couldn't afford to invest another penny in the club. Would Cortese have sold all those players that summer (and every summer since), no one will ever know. I highly doubt he would have sold half our squad to Liverpool and accepted the jokes and 'embarrassment' that comes with it.

This is not a "bring back Cortese" post, far from it. Kat was right to get rid, his spending and actions were out of control. She was wrong not to adequate replace him though, unfortunately that just showed her ambition and interested in the club.

Pleased for the lad. That Blackpool game killed him , but he was potentially a decent keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh I liked him I thought it was the injury at Newcastle that scuppered him myself

Haha, poor VVD. Missed a sitter just before Man Utd made it 2-0. Lukaku bullying them.

Yes this comment on the BBC Website sums it up

van Dijk is not good enough. A world record fee should demand performances in big games. So far today he has missed a sitter and looked atrocious against Lukaku.

• 3 weeks later...
Everton are in a row with the Dutch FA after it has emerged that the Toffees are now paying the large majority of his current wage as manager of the Netherlands, according to The Liverpool Echo.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAvePWf?m=en-gb

That's quite amusing! I know Some clubs don't pay a settlement now, opting to continue to pay relying on the manager to get another club and therefore effectively resigning from the post. This one is quite an own goal though...

I wonder if Stoke are paying anything of Hughes' wages?