Page 102 of 161 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,100 of 8028

Thread: Defectors Watch

selling mane for that price is a good deal. but far from anything special when Benteke will leave for a similar figure after an horrendous season

Bony for 13m should be something we look at IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatt View Post
    How much do you realistic think we could get for Mane this year? Next year? You said 40m in your earlier post so not a great deal more than we actually got. If you compare him to other fees then imo we got a good price.

Same price as Mkhitaryan who's older but had a better last season.
    More than Batshuayi who's younger and also had a better year albeit in a weaker league.
    More than Pjanic who despite playing deeper also had a better year.
    A lot more than Gotze since he was in his final year of contract.

Mane had 21 goals 9 assists in 67 premier league apps. That's decent but nothing special. Look at the goals last season from players in similar positions; Mahrez 17, Sanchez 13, Ayew 12, Arnautovic 11. Mane is undoubtedly a better player than Ayew & Arna but he hasn't delivered it consistently. We could arguably replace his goals with either of those 2. He'll probably look better this season playing alongside better creative players in Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana and we'll all wish he was still here but being pragmatic IMO it was a good deal for the club and the right call to sell for that price.
    Transfer fees are rising rapidly. He'll be worth at least 80 million in future. Next year we could have got 50 million for him. I was expecting this year to be his breakthrough season but more importantly for him to help us win a trophy. He's going to keep improving for the next few years. He certainly looks a better porspect than Bale did when we sold him. A player as gifted as Mane is virtually irreplaceable. We'll be very lucky to see a player that good playing for Southampton in the next 20 years. Selling him so soon, when he still had 2 years left on his contract, was a huge mistake. For those who say he doesn't try, bullsh!t. He gave 100% effort every time he took the pitch for Southampton and he would have continued to do so if we hadn't sold him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Transfer fees are rising rapidly. He'll be worth at least 80 million in future. Next year we could have got 50 million for him. I was expecting this year to be his breakthrough season but more importantly for him to help us win a trophy. He's going to keep improving for the next few years. He certainly looks a better porspect than Bale did when we sold him. A player as gifted as Mane is virtually irreplaceable. We'll be very lucky to see a player that good playing for Southampton in the next 20 years. Selling him so soon, when he still had 2 years left on his contract, was a huge mistake. For those who say he doesn't try, bullsh!t. He gave 100% effort every time he took the pitch for Southampton and he would have continued to do so if we hadn't sold him.
    Delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    selling mane for that price is a good deal. but far from anything special when Benteke will leave for a similar figure after an horrendous season

Yes regarding Bony. Think he would do great for us.

Lol Were you sobbing into your hankie when wrote this...

Most of that is speculation

Transfer fees of mid-tier players are rising rapidly. Smaller clubs have way more to spend now. The cost of top class players aren't rising much. There's less than 10 clubs in the world that can afford to pay more than Liverpool did for Mane. Would we get a bidding war from Barca/Real/Athletico/Juve/PSG/Chelsea/ManCity/ManUtd/Arsenal for an attacking player that scores less than 1 in 3 games?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Puddings and Monkeys View Post
    Yes regarding Bony. Think he would do great for us.
    Can't see him fitting in to our 4-6 formation. There's a danger he might want to get near the goal.

How much do you realistic think we could get for Mane this year? Next year? You said 40m in your earlier post so not a great deal more than we actually got. If you compare him to other fees then imo we got a good price.

Same price as Mkhitaryan who's older but had a better last season.
    More than Batshuayi who's younger and also had a better year albeit in a weaker league.
    More than Pjanic who despite playing deeper also had a better year.
    A lot more than Gotze since he was in his final year of contract.

Mane had 21 goals 9 assists in 67 premier league apps. That's decent but nothing special. Look at the goals last season from players in similar positions; Mahrez 17, Sanchez 13, Ayew 12, Arnautovic 11. Mane is undoubtedly a better player than Ayew & Arna but he hasn't delivered it consistently. We could arguably replace his goals with either of those 2. He'll probably look better this season playing alongside better creative players in Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana and we'll all wish he was still here but being pragmatic IMO it was a good deal for the club and the right call to sell for that price.
    Sorry you missed my point. I don't think we should have sold him so early in the window..people on this forum are excusing the lack of transfer activity due to clubs wanting replacements lined up, in willing to sell, holding on to get the right price yet we happily sell first, strengthen our rivals and then buy (if history is to be repeated) on the final day of the window, having already played games and needing to "bed them in" (to use your words).
    To me the money is irrelevant and if we only got 10 million for him next year it wouldn't have mattered. I want to see the best team we can field, winning as many games as possible. Who cares what profit we make? To the club it appears selling at the highest price is the key metric.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Bony for 13m might be interesting

Transfer fees of mid-tier players are rising rapidly. Smaller clubs have way more to spend now. The cost of top class players aren't rising much. There's less than 10 clubs in the world that can afford to pay more than Liverpool did for Mane. Would we get a bidding war from Barca/Real/Athletico/Juve/PSG/Chelsea/ManCity/ManUtd/Arsenal for an attacking player that scores less than 1 in 3 games?
    For me it's really not about how much we sold him for but I have to pick up on these points, just because I think your comments are not accurate?
    Many more teams can afford it now.. West Ham and Crystal Palace for example have bid 30 million for players this year?
    top class players aren't rising much? I suggest you look at what players are going for..What have Juve just paid For a player? PSG? Pogba?

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Unless Man City will pay some of the wages, I can't see him being affordable?

Blog Entries

Best player on the pitch yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Fred View Post
    For me it's really not about how much we sold him for but I have to pick up on these points, just because I think your comments are not accurate?
    Many more teams can afford it now.. West Ham and Crystal Palace for example have bid 30 million for players this year?
    top class players aren't rising much? I suggest you look at what players are going for..What have Juve just paid For a player? PSG? Pogba?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ball_transfers
    Mane's the 47th most expensive transfer in football history. Same price as Nedved 15 years prior. There's a lot of transfers on that list from 2000/01/02 with similar prices to today's times. The only other buying clubs on that list that I didn't mention are the almost-bankrupt Monaco, the early 2000's Lazio and the recent Chinese mega-deals.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    If that's genuinely the price I'd be snapping their arms off.

Lovren in the paper this morning. His wife's head was elsewhere. And with this complete mess of a bloke.
    IIRC Lovren was subbed against us last season as Klopp said the crowd was getting to him. This gives us a great excuse to give him the Kevin Phillips treatment this season.

16. Default

I don't know whether Sadio's worth 80 million but he's a gem of a player, and it will irk me seeing him do well for Klopp's lot. I think we need to recruit a Mahrez style of player rather than a Bony type; sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Balls View Post

Lovren in the paper this morning. His wife's head was elsewhere. And with this complete mess of a bloke.
    IIRC Lovren was subbed against us last season as Klopp said the crowd was getting to him. This gives us a great excuse to give him the Kevin Phillips treatment this season.
    16k aweek! I thought he left for massive wages (in football terms)

Blog Entries

Sorry you missed my point. I don't think we should have sold him so early in the window..people on this forum are excusing the lack of transfer activity due to clubs wanting replacements lined up, in willing to sell, holding on to get the right price yet we happily sell first, strengthen our rivals and then buy (if history is to be repeated) on the final day of the window, having already played games and needing to "bed them in" (to use your words).
    To me the money is irrelevant and if we only got 10 million for him next year it wouldn't have mattered. I want to see the best team we can field, winning as many games as possible. Who cares what profit we make? To the club it appears selling at the highest price is the key metric.
    That isn't what long term sustainability is about.

Mmmmm. I'm with you that it'd be nice to have the new attacking players in straight away. I don't think the club intentionally leaves things to the last minute with signings. I don't see anything wrong with selling early though if it's a good price. It leaves us knowing exactly what we need to strengthen and how much we have to spend. Makes shopping for targets easier. It's a hell of a lot better than the Everton situation right now where they might lose Stones/Lukaku on or near deadline day and have days/hours to replace them. They probably can't sign anyone right now until they know for sure if they're staying/leaving.

The club making money from transfers is huge. As much as we all hate it, football is about money these days. There's nothing that turns players heads more. If we bought the Mane of today 2 years ago he would've cost more than Pelle/Long/Tadic combined. Would a forward line of Seager/Gallagher/Mane outperform Long/Pelle/Tadic? We still don't know who we're replacing him with, and we'll never know if we would've been more successful this season with him or with the replacements his money buys, but the club is looking for sustained success and can't afford to potentially lose 15m by holding a player an extra year.

Not if he wouldn't sign a new contract we wouldn't.

20m tops.

21. Default

Elia hattrick in 20 mins for Feyenoord

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    I wonder if Ronald will bring him to the Goodison Park dugout.

Tonny Vilhena also scored, and I saw a few minutes of the game on Sky and they were saying how influential Vilhena is for Feyenoord. Having been linked before, makes me wonder if we're still interested, or whether it was more of a Koeman link. I'd guess the latter.

Great to see Shaw playing again for Man U after his injury. Looks pretty decent so far, though he's already been elbowed in the eye.

Morgan on for Rooney - 88th minute

26. Default

No sign of the new Everton manager in this article... http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...o-head-records

This season the Premier League is packed with big-name managers with big reputations - but how do their head-to-head records compare?
    Surely some mistake?

Everton manager Ronald Koeman says his squad is only "70% fit" heading into their Premier League opener against Tottenham after being given too much time off this summer. (Daily Mail)

Excuses starting already...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Everton manager Ronald Koeman says his squad is only "70% fit" heading into their Premier League opener against Tottenham after being given too much time off this summer. (Daily Mail)

Excuses starting already...
    Maybe if the doss khunt didn't keep disappearing off on holiday himself instead of pushing his money grasping move through earlier,
    he might have had more time to get things sorted sooner.

A match between two former bosses. Who do you want to lose?

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HKsaint View Post
    Everton. No question.

Everton. No question.
    Quite.

Poch was ruthless but he never pretended to be otherwise and I think he genuinely loves Southampton even though his career means more. Honourable Ron pretended to be loyal, lied, and moved for money like a snake that he is.

Everton to lose please!

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by HKsaint View Post

0-0 draw with a huge team brawl resulting in both sides getting a 10 point penalty and mass 10 game bans for players. Poch and Koeman to square up in the centre circle resulting in season long banishment to the stands will be fine .......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    0-0 draw with a huge team brawl resulting in both sides getting a 10 point penalty and mass 10 game bans for players. Poch and Koeman to square up in the centre circle resulting in season long banishment to the stands will be fine .......
    If Carlsberg did scenarios between teams you dislike ......

Mmmmm. I'm with you that it'd be nice to have the new attacking players in straight away. I don't think the club intentionally leaves things to the last minute with signings. I don't see anything wrong with selling early though if it's a good price. It leaves us knowing exactly what we need to strengthen and how much we have to spend. Makes shopping for targets easier. It's a hell of a lot better than the Everton situation right now where they might lose Stones/Lukaku on or near deadline day and have days/hours to replace them. They probably can't sign anyone right now until they know for sure if they're staying/leaving.

The club making money from transfers is huge. As much as we all hate it, football is about money these days. There's nothing that turns players heads more. If we bought the Mane of today 2 years ago he would've cost more than Pelle/Long/Tadic combined. Would a forward line of Seager/Gallagher/Mane outperform Long/Pelle/Tadic? We still don't know who we're replacing him with, and we'll never know if we would've been more successful this season with him or with the replacements his money buys, but the club is looking for sustained success and can't afford to potentially lose 15m by holding a player an extra year.
    There's nothing that turns PEOPLE'S heads more - period.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ENSKIED View Post
    There's nothing that turns PEOPLE'S heads more - period.
    Not sure about that. A nice pair of baps is more likely to catch my attention.

Don't actually mind Poch anymore, he is a great manager, seems a decent bloke and genuinely loves Southampton. Everton and Koeman though, well I hope they crash and burn. A Ronald Koeman squad being unfit at the start sounds quite familiar doesn't it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Beat me to it!! Some of the girls in Bikinis at our haunt @barasti in Dubai are a very nice distraction if the footies not up to much!!

In fact about 10 of us missed The Stoke City goalies goal after about 20 secs or whatever as all of our heads longingly followed a young beauty as she walked past our group!!
    So there you have scientific proof!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan Dan View Post
    Don't actually mind Poch anymore, he is a great manager, seems a decent bloke and genuinely loves Southampton. Everton and Koeman though, well I hope they crash and burn. A Ronald Koeman squad being unfit at the start sounds quite familiar doesn't it?
    Same here.

Conman must be due another holiday this week surely, not had one for a few weeks!!

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

you're welcome....

Quote Originally Posted by ericofarabia View Post
    Beat me to it!! Some of the girls in Bikinis at our haunt @barasti in Dubai are a very nice distraction if the footies not up to much!!

In fact about 10 of us missed The Stoke City goalies goal after about 20 secs or whatever as all of our heads longingly followed a young beauty as she walked past our group!!
    So there you have scientific proof!!
    To be valid, the results of any scientific experiment have to be repeatable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    To be valid, the results of any scientific experiment have to be repeatable.
    Trust me ..if asked what colour bikini the last blonde who walked by had on, you'd get a high % pass mark .... ask who passed the ball to Long before he scored for us , you'd probably get a ... "Oh we've scored have we"?

Trust me ..if asked what colour bikini the last blonde who walked by had on, you'd get a high % pass mark .... ask who passed the ball to Long before he scored for us , you'd probably get a ... "Oh we've scored have we"?
    If Phil was there he wouldnt remember what colour bikini but he would be able to slip a golfing story in about it Lol

I wish Everton win as Spur are our real competitor, not Everton, who will struggle in relegation battles.

45. Default

If Carlsberg did scenarios between teams you dislike ......
    If Carlsberg did nice lager I might actually buy some

If Carlsberg did nice lager I might actually buy some
    Elephant Beer!!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Sounds like Wanyama's first touch for Spurs resulted in a free kick from which Everton scored..........:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SW5 SAINT View Post
    Sounds like Wanyama's first touch for Spurs resulted in a free kick from which Everton scored..........:-)
    Sadly that's getting desperate. Sounds like if Koeman wasn't at Everton they would have lost 0-3.

Lovren was being driven in car when within 50 metres of Anfield and his driver making a right turn, there was a crash some 20 or so metres behind them, sounds like if he hadn't ever signed for Liverpool the crash would not have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ENSKIED View Post
    Sadly that's getting desperate. Sounds like if Koeman wasn't at Everton they would have lost 0-3.

Lovren was being driven in car when within 50 metres of Anfield and his driver making a right turn, there was a crash some 20 or so metres behind them, sounds like if he hadn't ever signed for Liverpool the crash would not have happened.
    Except thats exactly what happened , second foul and free kick he gave away nearly resulted in a goal too but for a good save from the keeper !

Mane has just scored a cracker for Liverpool. That is what he offered that we are going to miss badly - his ability to score from nothing.
    I believe Liverpool mugged us off at 30 million for him. We should have held out for 40+ and just told them that's the price, take it or leave it. Just like Everton have done with Lukaku. If it doesn't come off you keep a brilliant player, if it does you're better off!
    We're too quick to sell, too slow to buy.....