Luke Shaw training on his own

Ed Rooney

Well the relationship should be mutually beneficial. What is the point in the club investing 10 years of time, resources, and money for a player to walk away from the club, the moment he is on the verge of the first-team? Shaw should be grateful to the club for honing his talent and giving him a massive opportunity in life. Why should the club be grateful to him for not walking away at the very first opportunity?

He didn't go at the very first opportunity. All the big clubs have been after him since he was 15. He could have easily refused to sign a contract last summer and moved for considerably less. Everyone in football knew how good he was years ago.

Luke's been crucified non stop on Talksport since Hodgeson's statement yesterday evening. Many wonder why Hodgeson's jumped on the bandwagon when he'd not said anything publicly before. Always posted on here how his bum was flabby and funny when he ran. He spends far too much time playing electronic games and eating Nandos. I fear he will only make things worse if he rushes getting fit as opposed to building up his strength naturally. Think moving to Man U was a huge mistake and could end up like Zaha and others who went there too early.

Doesn't surprise me, he was often picking up niggly injuries. Remember when he had to pull out the under 21's three times in a row.

He's going to be a hell of a player though.

Morgan explained that when he came to Saints he ate a lot of crap as well and ended up pretty unfit and with niggles all of the time, went to a French dietician and got himself sorted out and his game got a lot better. Shaw will probably be a complete failure because he is weak minded, bit of a village idiot perhaps judging by his 3some text. Great work from the board to get so much for so little.

Luke's been crucified non stop on Talksport since Hodgeson's statement yesterday evening. Many wonder why Hodgeson's jumped on the bandwagon when he'd not said anything publicly before. Always posted on here how his bum was flabby and funny when he ran. He spends far too much time playing electronic games and eating Nandos. I fear he will only make things worse if he rushes getting fit as opposed to building up his strength naturally. Think moving to Man U was a huge mistake and could end up like Zaha and others who went there too early.

Why are you looking at his arse ?

I think what Captain Subtext is trying to tell us in this situation, is that despite our sides being 7th and 8th in the league last year, Southampton are a Small Club who have no idea about how to keep their players fit and healthy. Man Utd are a Big Club with fitness experts who will prescribe lots of laps running around the training ground, and nutritionists who will make Luke eat more veg and fewer chips.

Once Man Utd crawl into the Champions League places, Van Gaal will take all the credit for making the most of an average player from an average club. And if it doesn't happen, no problem, blame the chosen scapegoat David Moyes again.

I think what Captain Subtext is trying to tell us in this situation, is that despite our sides being 7th and 8th in the league last year, Southampton are a Small Club who have no idea about how to keep their players fit and healthy. Man Utd are a Big Club with fitness experts who will prescribe lots of laps running around the training ground, and nutritionists who will make Luke eat more veg and fewer chips.

Once Man Utd crawl into the Champions League places, Van Gaal will take all the credit for making the most of an average player from an average club. And if it doesn't happen, no problem, blame the chosen scapegoat David Moyes again.

This, despite the inevitable praise re. fitness levels that will get heaped onto Poch when he imposes the hi-press onto Spurs. (TBF, they did look as they were already on the way against Limassol last night. Also TBF, Luke has always been a greedy fat bast.ard. Great player though!)

Can't help feeling a little bit annoyed by this. The implication that he played for us but wasn't fit enough for England and now United.

Pretty certain that to play the majority of the games in a season for MP, with his pressing game, you have to be in pretty good shape. I can recall Luke still bombing forward in the 90th minute of games.

He may well have let himself go after the WC, which is unprofessional for sure and unacceptable in the modern game, but as others have said, smacks of the usual arrogant attitude from big clubs/England.

Can't help feeling a little bit annoyed by this. The implication that he played for us but wasn't fit enough for England and now United.

Pretty certain that to play the majority of the games in a season for MP, with his pressing game, you have to be in pretty good shape. I can recall Luke still bombing forward in the 90th minute of games.

He may well have let himself go after the WC, which is unprofessional for sure and unacceptable in the modern game, but as others have said, smacks of the usual arrogant attitude from big clubs/England.

Bombing forward yes but the end result was usually pretty dire. Now if he was fitter and had a bit more stamina then perhaps he would have a bit more lucidity to cross or shoot in a better manner. Seemed to spend most of his days off being chauffeur driven round London's finest emporiums. None to bright methinks, it will end up ruining his career.

I am surprised by Hodgson, not least because he comes across as being disloyal towards the player (at least in my eyes) while toadying to one of the big clubs that he will choose his players from.

I wouldn't get too wound up. Players like Shaw didn't really have a career before they made the big move, or rather, it was inconsequential. But his body is still going through changes. There was a massive difference between his physique of the 12/13 season and the 13/14 season. Who knows what will happen in the future - maybe as his body develops, he will never be able to keep the weigh under control, whether that be for physical reasons or dietary. Of the two - Shaw and Chambers - I would put my money on Chambers to have the better career. I just hope for his sake, and I know he made his own bed, that he can over come this. 18/19 year olds are very naive, and while his development may well have prospered at Saints, what's done is done. Whose benefit was it for? Certainly his bank balance has shot up, but so has that of his agent and any other hanger-on that got their dibs into him.

3007359.jpg?type=articlePortrait

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11191772.Away_the_lads_/?ref=mac

Not sure why I give a **** seeing as he jumped ship (can't blame him), but the idea he wasn't fit enough at our place seems a little far fetched to me. He's built to last, that's for sure, but he seemed to have no problems sprinting up the line all day long. Perhaps a little tardy on the return visit a few times, but he certainly looked sharp as hell to me.

Ray Wilkins on talk****e suggested this morning that LVG didn't fancy him, but there is not a chance that he was signed without LVG being asked if he wanted him. I'd be amazed if he has changed his mind after a few weeks of watching him before he got injured. If he doesn't can we take him back on loan a la Zaha please?

The fact is he didn't play games and the training was obviously pretty light during the WC, and then he had time off straight afterwards to rest???, so it's hardly surprising that he wasn't at peak fitness when he returned to the United fold and was asked to go straight into games a little undercooked. He needed some extra training. So what. I would expect quite a large number of players that were in the world cup have been in the same boat. The only difference here is LVG decided to use Shaw to show the players what a big man he is (and that he rules the roost) by pulling up a £27m new signing in front of everyone.

Hodgson seems to be trying to cover he arse here. Rather than admitting that "perhaps they failed to keep him fit during the world cup period, but its not easy when you have some players playing and some not" he has chosen to put the focus on the player.

Maybe Shaw does fail to look after himself, I don't know, but he is a young lad and these two senior managers should no better than to be making comments like these. Fergie always looked to take the pressure and focus off the players and that seemed to work pretty well.

As I said. If he ain't wanted there send him back.

Edited by Chez

3007359.jpg?type=articlePortrait

Not sure why I give a **** seeing as he jumped ship (can't blame him), but the idea he wasn't fit enough at our place seems a little far fetched to me. He's built to last, that's for sure, but he seemed to have no problems sprinting up the line all day long. Perhaps a little tardy on the return visit a few times, but he certainly looked sharp as hell to me.

Ray Wilkins on talk****e suggested this morning that LVG didn't fancy him, but there is not a chance that he was signed without LVG being asked if he wanted him. I'd be amazed if he has changed his mind after a few weeks of watching him before he got injured. If he doesn't can we take him back on loan a la Zaha please?

The fact is he didn't play games and the training was obviously pretty light during the WC, and then he had time off straight afterwards to rest???, so it's hardly surprising that he wasn't at peak fitness when he returned to the United fold and was asked to go straight into games a little undercooked. He needed some extra training. So what. I would expect quite a large number of players that were in the world cup have been in the same boat. The only difference here is LVG decided to use Shaw to show the players what a big man he is (and that he rules the roost) by pulling up a £27m new signing in front of everyone.

I too have wondered if it's a case of LVG not fancying him, I think Shaw was a transfer lined up by the club - rather than the manager himself, but I'm sure he was consulted. But it seems odd the way that he seems to be pursuing £19m left back Daley Blind....if that happens, then I'm not really sure what the future holds for Luke in the short-term.

This, plus 30 million pounds of expectation is a lot of extra weight to carry.

I too have wondered if it's a case of LVG not fancying him, I think Shaw was a transfer lined up by the club - rather than the manager himself, but I'm sure he was consulted. But it seems odd the way that he seems to be pursuing £19m left back Daley Blind....if that happens, then I'm not really sure what the future holds for Luke in the short-term.

LVG was announced as the new Man u manager on 19th May and no doubt had been talking to United a while before then. I would guess United first came in for Shaw in January and have continued the pursuit since then, but he only signed officially on June 27th. I guess it all depends on how players are spotted/scouted/signed at united and whether there is committee like we have. How much input is there from LVG? Managers seem to be less and less involved these days. LVG probably was given him rather than requested him. If he didn't do thorough research on him before approving the signing, that would show him up as a poor manager in my book.

They need two left backs or left wing backs. If Rojo is only seen as a left sided centre back of a 2 or 3, then they still need competition for Shaw.

shaw will come in to that side soon enough, play just as good as last season and LVG will be hailed as a great coach and man manager for 'sorting' Luke out

And Man Utd will be credited with developing Luke Shaw in a couple of years time. ;)

And Man Utd will be credited with developing Luke Shaw in a couple of years time. ;)

he will start scoring goals (which he would have done this season at Saints anyway IMO) and thus be seen as a completely improved player at united. Stay with us and I don't think his progression would have been any less great/obvious.

Article about it here:-

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/28/luke-shaw-england-concerns-roy-hodgson-manchester-united

Seems a bit weird; Hodgson never said anything at the time. Everyone's treating Luke as if he's Randy from the Trailer Park Boys.

“He will get fitter and stronger, not least of all because he’s still a very young man and his body has not yet reached its proper proportions for the level at which he wants to play.”

In other words the fat f*cker still hasn't filled out yet.

Jason Dodd on talk sport saying that Luke was in great shape last season. Last season the training was intense and he played and played well nearly all season

All this is too harsh for a young lad in the game.

Rarely injured last season. Saints got it right

He was not on any special diet last season and he was extremely fit

He needs to come back stronger, this is the first time he has been questioned.

I can't get my head around Luke Shaw's fitness because in the overwhelming majority of games for us last season, it was never an issue. And I mean that in the sense that fans never even considered that he might be unfit. Perhaps it is a case of Shaw letting himself go or struggling to adapt to Van Gaal's training regime. Maybe he's always had a fitness problem or, as Roy says, is yet to fill out properly. I just hope it all ends up going in the right direction for him - it's always a bit disheartening to see players go the way of Michael Johnson. Even more so when they've been such an asset for Southampton and the academy.

It's just a new manager bringing new signing down to earth with some criticism in case he gets an ego - as old as the hills. There is something to be said for the wing back role needing even more stamina and energy than the full back position though, but that's not necessarily true in the case of a player who is already doing a lot of overlapping.

It's wrong to crucify a youngster through the media, he was good for us, earned us (and him) a big wedge and experienced old hands like LVG and Hodgson should be dealing with this privately, I hope he comes back stronger but I think it proves he should have stayed at least another year but money talks.

Really decent of LVG to come out in defense of Shaw tonight and say he's wanting to have words with Hodgson whom LVG says has never been at Man U to see Luke training. LVG says that Luke's application to training is an example to the dressing room and he is delighted with Shaw and said he'd have played all games had he not be injured. LVG is not a happy bunny and I'd be delighted if he tells Hodgson where to go. England will get no where whilst Hodgson's running the show.

Really decent of LVG to come out in defense of Shaw tonight and say he's wanting to have words with Hodgson whom LVG says has never been at Man U to see Luke training. LVG says that Luke's application to training is an example to the dressing room and he is delighted with Shaw and said he'd have played all games had he not be injured. LVG is not a happy bunny and I'd be delighted if he tells Hodgson where to go. England will get no where whilst Hodgson's running the show.

LVG has misunderstood Roy because he was talking about Shaw at the World Cup, not now.

I can't get my head around Luke Shaw's fitness because in the overwhelming majority of games for us last season, it was never an issue. And I mean that in the sense that fans never even considered that he might be unfit. Perhaps it is a case of Shaw letting himself go or struggling to adapt to Van Gaal's training regime. Maybe he's always had a fitness problem or, as Roy says, is yet to fill out properly. I just hope it all ends up going in the right direction for him - it's always a bit disheartening to see players go the way of Michael Johnson. Even more so when they've been such an asset for Southampton and the academy.

Does anyone actually know what Van Gaal's training routines are? And how does this compare with Pochetino's at Southampton?

It's wrong to crucify a youngster through the media, he was good for us, earned us (and him) a big wedge and experienced old hands like LVG and Hodgson should be dealing with this privately, I hope he comes back stronger but I think it proves he should have stayed at least another year but money talks.

Have you read what Hodgson said?

How is that "crucifying" him?

Except it was LVG who started the whole story by talking about Shaw's fitness weeks ago and making him train on his own. And Hodgson said nothing about MUFC's training program or Shaw at MUFC.

Edited by CB Fry