The 'Head in the Sand' thread...

georgeweahscousin

I've been accused of having my 'head in the sand' quite a lot recently after trying to make sense of what is going on etc.

I make no bones that I certainly misjudged it, and am finding it difficult to stay positive. I am going to try though, because at the end of the day there is little that can be done and a small part of me thinks this is still a case of player power vs an inexperienced board.

If the likes of Fonte, Cork and Clyne head out to teams not 'bigger than us' i.e Cardiff, Hull etc. I will join the full meltdown gang, but from what I have been told (not ITK, but people seem to like e-mailing me snippets) this is more like Steve Grant's version of events than anyone elses I have read.

I do believe the club are desperately trying to get players in through the door, but with every departure they become less interested in joining and more expensive.

This is going to be a tough season in my opinion, but when have we ever had it easy! Enjoy the ride. My take as a supporter:- http://www.espnfc.com/club/southampton/376/blog/post/1963862/who-is-to-blame-for-saints-situation

Edited by georgeweahscousin
Add link

I do believe the club are desperately trying to get players in through the door, but with every departure they become less interested in joining and more expensive.

Do they have time to, what with all the work being done on outgoings?

Chambers said Arsenal were "too good to turn down" - and that's the crux of it.

Liverpool were "too good to turn down".

United were also "too good to turn down".

Spurs will be "too good to turn down".

I'll really crap my pants if players want to leave to similar or lesser clubs, but my take is that the club have not forced these players to go - okay maybe they could've said no, but if a player doesn't want to be here... sell for big money where possible.

I'll judge based on the replacements.

I work in London and am surrounded by Gooners!

The real sickener is that they are completely non-plussed by Calum's arrival there - They would far preferred to have seen a youngster called Bellerin given his chance at right back than buy somebody for £16m who is only a wee bit older and has played a few more premier matches, and spent that £16m elsewhere..

Almost as though we are taking them to market...

I work in London and am surrounded by Gooners!

The real sickener is that they are completely non-plussed by Calum's arrival there - They would far preferred to have seen a youngster called Bellerin given his chance at right back than buy somebody for £16m who is only a wee bit older and has played a few more premier matches, and spent that £16m elsewhere..

Almost as though we are taking them to market...

The fans don't sign the players. It doesn't matter what they think, the board/manager decide who gets signed.

I haven't seen that. Point me in its direction please.

It was along the lines of the club cannot stop the domino effect. Losing Morgan was a key blow, something drastic will now have to happen.

Monk then said he'd had enough and had lost faith from the board.

THEVMAN said in the summer that he's gone now, we'll lose players etc.

If that's the views of our only true ITK's, then I think we're screwed beyond anything I could have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Guan 2.0 View Post

No one has been able to stop the dominos thus far.

Think we are going to now have to pay well over the odds for someone (most likely Vlarr), just to show other targets we can bring people in.

One of four Dutch nationals that are priority targets.

Quite a bit of buck passing will come to head this week. Boardroom personnel may change, not as much as first team.

Morgan was a key member (view of entire club). So we have to do something drastic now.

That's as much detail I can go into from the bullet points I was sent. We lose either way with J-rod, MoPo likes Ings as well, and Liverpool fancy both.

I've been accused of having my 'head in the sand' quite a lot recently after trying to make sense of what is going on etc.

I make no bones that I certainly misjudged it, and am finding it difficult to stay positive. I am going to try though, because at the end of the day there is little that can be done and a small part of me thinks this is still a case of player power vs an inexperienced board.

If the likes of Fonte, Cork and Clyne head out to teams not 'bigger than us' i.e Cardiff, Hull etc. I will join the full meltdown gang, but from what I have been told (not ITK, but people seem to like e-mailing me snippets) this is more like Steve Grant's version of events than anyone elses I have read.

This is going to be a tough season in my opinion, but when have we ever had it easy! Enjoy the ride. My take as a supporter:- http://www.espnfc.com/club/southampton/376/blog/post/1963862/who-is-to-blame-for-saints-situation

Then they are complete idiots for not getting any in earlier.

It was along the lines of the club cannot stop the domino effect. Losing Morgan was a key blow, something drastic will now have to happen.

Monk then said he'd had enough and had lost faith from the board.

THEVMAN said in the summer that he's gone now, we'll lose players etc.

If that's the views of our only true ITK's, then I think we're screwed beyond anything I could have imagined.

Although I've only recently started posting myself I've always enjoyed your posts S-Clarke, well-balanced and well-thought out. Can remember you saying last season that we should 'sit back and enjoy what we had as you just had the feeling it wouldn't last'. How right you where...our best team in ages cast to the 4 winds in less than 2 months....

The fans don't sign the players. It doesn't matter what they think, the board/manager decide who gets signed.

Well I know that of course....

But one might equally question Why Professor Wenger decided to spend £16m on a young right back, when he already had a good young right back in his squad who was popular with the Gooner faithful and regarded as good enough to step up!

Well I know that of course....

But one might equally question Why Professor Wenger decided to spend £16m on a young right back, when he already had a good young right back in his squad who was popular with the Gooner faithful and regarded as good enough to step up!

they have upgraded with Chambers, they just don't know it yet. From the moment he ran rings round them at SMS Wenger will have made his mind up not to pamper to Sagna's wage demands and been on the phone to Chamber's agent to get the deal done. It was probably all signed and sealed back in February.

Although I've only recently started posting myself I've always enjoyed your posts S-Clarke, well-balanced and well-thought out. Can remember you saying last season that we should 'sit back and enjoy what we had as you just had the feeling it wouldn't last'. How right you where...our best team in ages cast to the 4 winds in less than 2 months....

Me to.

I'm on here pretty much all day (sad I know) from when it started but hardly post and am always lurking in the shadows and S-Clarke imo is one of the most sensible logical posters on here, many of his views mirror mine.

I don't have my head in the sand and I am most certainly not a bedwetter.

I think everyone needs to calm down and keep their heads.

With the exception of Chambers ALL the other players leaving were fully expected and if you thought different you were deluded.

There are just short of three weeks until K.O.

Let's start panicking then if we haven't made five or more decent signings. RK is no mug and I'm sure we'll see HIS style of players coming through the doors very soon.

Keep the faith.