Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

I suppose it's natural that when people post something that turns out to be right, they bring it up and resurrect threads to show how great they are, but when they get it utterly wrong, like hypo and co here, they get a bit stoppy if it's brought back to them. I think it's equally relevant and if anything helps people not jump in with uninformed opinions so quickly next time.

we're all wrong often enough, I said I didn't think we wouldn't sell any key players in the summer...

Not stroppy at all. Many initial reactions about players have proved to be accurate and others less so. Very unlikely to see me dredging up old topics to talk about it though. Just makes the person doing the dredging look like a bit of a loser.

We all have our opinions on players, but a change of club can have big influence on how they perform.

I said buying Crouch was a huge mistake, couldn't believe we actually paid money for him. Wrong...!!

Bertrand is looking every inch a bargain......

We all have our opinions on players, but a change of club can have big influence on how they perform.

I said buying Crouch was a huge mistake, couldn't believe we actually paid money for him. Wrong...!!

Bertrand is looking every inch a bargain......

Yep just look at what has happened to Lovern........

I was right, wasn't I? Somewhere along the line you can't just dismiss it as luck and actually admit I knew what I was talking about in the Summer.

After a long perilous journey from England across the Artic circle, Jeff found the North Pole. As he slowly forced the pole into his anus he thought, "Now the whole World is revolving around me..."

I think the real issue is the lack of faith in the people doing the signing. There were so many posts about how Les Reed was a total waste of space and 'why haven't we signed xxxx yet'. People panicking and claiming that Kat was going to walk away with the money. Others complaining about the players we did sign.

All of you who made such accusations should apologise and accept that you were wrong. All of this pussy footing around trying to justify those (mistaken) opinions doesn't detract from the fact that YOU WERE WRONG. Admit it, accept it, move on.

I think the real issue is the lack of faith in the people doing the signing. There were so many posts about how Les Reed was a total waste of space and 'why haven't we signed xxxx yet'. People panicking and claiming that Kat was going to walk away with the money. Others complaining about the players we did sign.

All of you who made such accusations should apologise and accept that you were wrong. All of this pussy footing around trying to justify those (mistaken) opinions doesn't detract from the fact that YOU WERE WRONG. Admit it, accept it, move on.

Who should the apology go to? Shall I send it to the club or just post it on here? If we lose Koeman, Tadic, Pelle, Bertrand, Clyne and Fonte in the summer, I won't utter a word about it, I promise.

Those comments have to be put in the context of what was happening at the time (team seemingly being destroyed.)

I agree, but I think that is the wrong context. They have to be put in the context of them being comments on a football forum by a bunch of c*nts. Then it makes more contextual sense.

I agree, but I think that is the wrong context. They have to be put in the context of them being comments on a football forum by a bunch of c*nts. Then it makes more contextual sense.

You're a c*nt, they're a c*nt, everyone is a c*nts.

Underwhelmed. Potentially a number of loans, lets be hoping our perm deals are showing some ambition.

Was hoping for Rojo, but pretty unlikely really. That said Rojo primary position is centreback so guess we will see.

Adds to an area we were very very light but was hoping for an established LB with a promising player in Targett in reserve.

This loan signing came when we were at out lowest ebb and a lot of the initial negativity came due to timing. Our perm signings happened and were pretty impressive.

Bertrand has done a lot better than I expected and has fitted in perfectly. I would be happy to see him complete a perm move for the mooted 10mil fee which looked a bit heavy at the time.

Really happy with RB.

This loan signing came when we were at out lowest ebb and a lot of the initial negativity came due to timing. Our perm signings happened and were pretty impressive.

Bertrand has done a lot better than I expected and has fitted in perfectly. I would be happy to see him complete a perm move for the mooted 10mil fee which looked a bit heavy at the time.

Really happy with RB.

Agree that £10M for a player that his owning club was pushing from pillar to post at the time seemed unreasonable, but putting that aside, I think 'if Shaw was worth £30M, is Bertrand 33% as good as Shaw?' and the answer to my musing question is 'yes, more than that' so now £10M for this level of LB looks a snip of a purchase .....if indeed we do go ahead seems a very REASONABLE price to pay. £27M in, £10M out, £17M into the bank. I'm happy with that.

Those comments have to be put in the context of what was happening at the time (team seemingly being destroyed.) Bertrand has been a solid signing and kudos to the board for that. Nothing wrong with having an initial reaction and then revising that once he takes to the field as a Saints player.

I was underwelmed but as a loan thought it was a decent signing which sorted our LB's out for the season, the negative hysteria on here had got out of control by most on here by that point. "Oh no we've signed a Chelsea player on loan who has played and won a champions league final what a nightmare!" :mcinnes:

Edited by Saint IQ

Is he legible to play for us against Chelsea this year? It could be a pretty big blow to the squad.

Only asking because Gaston can't play against us for Hull.

Do you mean elligible? I think his reading skills and writing are probably not an issue

Shame Gaston is barred from playing against us, would have made our lives a little easier, but he would probably have been injured anyway.

Those comments have to be put in the context of what was happening at the time (team seemingly being destroyed.) Bertrand has been a solid signing and kudos to the board for that. Nothing wrong with having an initial reaction and then revising that once he takes to the field as a Saints player.

Unbelievable Jeff appears somehow to have missed your sage comment on Bertrand's loan signing . "Rubbish signing" or words to that effect if I recall correctly.

The intelligent way to go about expressing an opinion about a signing is to by all means express disappointment or misgivings, but to cover your arse with caveats like we'll have to wait and see how he fits into the team/see how he plays for us. Then when it is shown that he has been a really good addition to the team, you are able to say something along the lines of you had your doubts, but you are delighted that they were unfounded, instead of being reminded about how wrong knee-jerk decisions can turn out to be and how idiotic they look in retrospect.

At the time of his signing, despite the outward appearance of a desperate situation, some thought had to be given to why Bertrand was selected as Shaw's replacement and unless one knew his thinking on it, some benefit of the doubt had to be given to Reed, because events have proved his decision to be sound.

Unbelievable Jeff appears somehow to have missed your sage comment on Bertrand's loan signing . "Rubbish signing" or words to that effect if I recall correctly.

The intelligent way to go about expressing an opinion about a signing is to by all means express disappointment or misgivings, but to cover your arse with caveats like we'll have to wait and see how he fits into the team/see how he plays for us. Then when it is shown that he has been a really good addition to the team, you are able to say something along the lines of you had your doubts, but you are delighted that they were unfounded, instead of being reminded about how wrong knee-jerk decisions can turn out to be and how idiotic they look in retrospect.

At the time of his signing, despite the outward appearance of a desperate situation, some thought had to be given to why Bertrand was selected as Shaw's replacement and unless one knew his thinking on it, some benefit of the doubt had to be given to Reed, because events have proved his decision to be sound.

Shame people on this board don't follow this, and then come up with all sorts of ******** excuses about why it was said in that way.

It's just a case of being unable to rationally disect a situation.

Shame people on this board don't follow this, and then come up with all sorts of ******** excuses about why it was said in that way.

It's just a case of being unable to rationally disect a situation.

Or in many cases either deny it was said or that the comments were taken out of context.

Excellent business. A good solid full back to keep the seat warm whilst we blood targett. Option to buy if he's not ready by then or send him back with targett established as number one. Great foresight, can only be the work of one man. Les 'bates' Reed.

'Dorkish' is bang on the money as usual.

I presume that you, in your turn, mean eligible.

Is that a question?

If I assume that your statement should in fact be a question, indicated by the addition of the correct terminating punctuation mark, then my response would be "yes" because I cocked up. :)

Edited by VectisSaint

You can't blame hypo - he was posting on his phone.

Jeff always rationally dissects situations. I'm still waiting for the outcome of our enquiry into the infamous "summer of inactivity"

And as I have done a number of times, I have apologised for it being an overreaction, mainly because of have no problem being wrong and admitting to it.

Would you do the same? I doubt it, mainly because you're a massive k unt.

And as I have done a number of times, I have apologised for it being an overreaction, mainly because of have no problem being wrong and admitting to it.

Metaphorically speaking? Or is Dig really a massive lady garden? If Dig actually is a massive flange, then I could forgive his typing skills particularly if using an iPhone.

I will readily stand up and say that I thought he was going to be utter cack for us, my concern being that he didn't seem very bothered at Villa and his decent early performances tailed off rapidly. So far he's been absolutely fine for a Prem left back, and provided he maintains that level all season I'm more than happy to say he looks like a solid signing - good, even.

Easy now Jeff. I said that Betrand was a cheap and nasty signing. I got the cheap bit right but not the nasty bit and I've been impressed with his form so far. What I'm not impressed with is your constant need to press for apologies and for people to admit that they were wrong and you were when you have a history of being an hysterical attention seeking tart yourself. On the basis, it's hard to take your born again self seriously at all.

• 4 months later...