Bertrand signs for a season long loan

Batman

If they feel Targett is as good as some on here suggest then no point blocking his path long term with a big signing like Rojo (record signing at LB for a team like Saints, really?)

We have two LBs who can compete and both look decent enough. No Shaw, but we were never going to equal or better him (again despite what some said).

Nice and friendly

My take is that jack us positive about the club and probably convinced Ryan to come here despite all the negativity

It also signals a positive attitude from jack himself and hopefully confirmation he is about to sign a new contract

If jack was unhappy with being at saints and the exodus then he could easily have phoned /text/tweeted Ryan and told him not to come

Welcome on board Ryan

I think he will do well and he is a mate of jack cork

Being at villa last year probably wasn't the best option for him giving the relegation turmoil and managerial changes there

He will flourish with us

And what some some of you negative pratts have failed to realise we still have a full transfer pot to spend

Get behind the lad . If he wasn't any good Chelsea would have moved him on years ago to a lower league side ,

Really? And how would a lower league side afford his wage demands then? Why do we still have sharp on our books after all these years like a bad smell that won't go away?

We arent anything like everton who signed top quality loans. We have a load of money let's spend some please.

We have. We have signed Pelle and Tadic

What makes you think we wont spend any more?

How much do you think we should have spent on Bertrand?

What the fuk do you mean provincial in this context?

Is it a way of down grading the club or something?

We all know where we are. But this is a bang average signing going off people who watched him a lot most recently. Villa fans

IMO, he has everything to prove and needs to become a serious, proper premier league player. He has everything to achieve that here so I think he could do well

Clearly not true from some of the crap on this thread......

Golac cunning stunts

In response to to your comment "really" etc etc

Whatever

Ps I forgot about sharpe . May be he still has something to offer . As a late substitute . He's one of those players that plays the space and reads the game well and can be there to get the odd late goal for us .

Edited by Viking Warrior

What does it matter who he plays for? He's clearly not good enough for Chelsea, so it's a but stupid to use that as a positive.

Well, Ashley Cole couldn't get in the Chelsea team... so hardly an argument to say someone is crap. He'll do a job for us, still better than when we first arrived.

Still not seen any evidence of interest from the board however, patch us up with load signings, pocket the catch, and sell the carcass still to be disproved...

Remaining on the Asset strip side of the fence with Spider to go on Sep 1st.

Really? And how would a lower league side afford his wage demands then? Why do we still have sharp on our books after all these years like a bad smell that won't go away?

Why would a player with a Champions League medal go to a lower league side as well?

Don't see the point complaining about Sharps wages when we just got nearly 100m in from player sales and manager departures.

Golac

What's the point in debating with someone like you , you will. Not engage in a rational or balanced debate

Yes there might be salary issues re Chelsea moving him on .

They could have sold him to us .. Part of me suspects Chelsea still rate him and hope that by coming to us he will be improve significantly that they will want him back for next season now cole has left .

Only time will tell . It's a win win scenario for both us and Chelsea

Guan was right then.

Bullsh*t Ralphie strikes again. Loads of brave talk, f**k all substance.

90m in the bank and we take a load of crap on loan...

More substance to indicate we can no longer attract players.

Back to 2004/2005 all over again, with probably the same result.

Guan was right then.

You really are a tedious thick cvnt.

Guan was right then.

What did Guan say?

Somewhat at odds with

Don't you think?

Nope. On the face of it I think it's a poor signing. Certainly underwhelming and not the standard I was expecting. Having said that we don't actually know how he will do here and of course I hope he does well. No contradiction.

I really believe this is a good loan signing for lots of positive reasons

But the main one is Liverpool have been shafted by Chelsea as they were determined not to sell him to their rivals according various newspapers despite Rodgers wanting to sign him for. 8million

thank you Chelsea

We have spent and we will spend more. Relax mate

I'm liking the new you, Glasgow. Keep up the transformation; let's hope this LB called Ryan goes better than the one named Dickson. I think he will. No way is Targett ready for the big time, week in week out.

I'm liking the new you, Glasgow. Keep up the transformation; let's hope this LB called Ryan goes better than the one named Dickson. I think he will. No way is Targett ready for the big time, week in week out.

Shouldn't Bertrand be compared to our first choice lb rather than the backup?

I really believe this is a good loan signing for lots of positive reasons

But the main one is Liverpool have been shafted by Chelsea as they were determined not to sell him to their rivals according various newspapers despite Rodgers wanting to sign him for. 8million

thank you Chelsea

So he's come here because we're sure to sell him to Liverpool as soon as we take up the option to buy?

Over £100M Banked

£20M for 2 players paid OUT

Now, a Player on LOAN, and not a very good one at that. Players just do not want to sign for us

Is everybody as ecstatic as I am, or have they still got Rose tinted glasses on ??

How's Ralph getting on with Schneiderlins transfer ??

He's certainly no worse than Ben Davies.

I think it's a good signing - he's still relatively young, he's English, has played 50 games in the Premier League and won the champions league - plus he sounds like he wants to be here - which makes him a Saint in my books. And if he shows half the commitment of Benali he will be great for us.

He can play at left fullback and left wingback so we still might bring in Rojo to play left fullback and or left centreback. I am sure Koeman wants the option of being able to play 3 at the back with wing backs.

And maybe we've realised our youth players aren't all ready to be thrown in at the deep end

Exactly this.

Everyone has been harping on about how we are going to be left playing the kids ala the last Dutch 'revolution'. We sign a solid player the manager actually wants in addition to the promising youngster, and everyone ****s the bed.

Oh, and they also all told us left back wasn't that important a position when they were trying to take the sting out of Shaw leaving...

Bunch of miserable entitled ****s on here.

I fear we may struggle this year.

But please, please can we top his "asset stripping"nonsense?

If you have £100m worth of players and sell them, your asset is worth £100m less. This isn't a cunning plan to sell all our best players and hope a new buyer fails to realise we are now short of laying talent.

If you sell a part of your assets for £20m your overall assets are now worth £20m less. I hope this is simple enough for the non-mathematical posters.

Our previous first choice lb is obviously what I meant. You were comparing him to Fox who he is clearly better than.

Oh I see. Obviously RB is not as good as Shaw - my point is that on what I've seen of Matt Targett he is not good enough (yet) to be playing in the Prem therefore Bertrand is a necessary pick up, whether Rojo comes or not.

Seems like a good situation for all parties.

Bertrand gets first team football which will probably end with him either accepting a role here or (if he does really well) Liverpool. There's no point in him going there now. He needs games.

We get someone with some experience in the position to complement Targett who is unlikely to be ready yet to face a whole season.

Targett can be sure of getting a good slice of games this season without the crazy pressure of being 1st choice in a struggling team. He also knows his competition for the place is only a loanee and therefore temporary and unlikely to block his career.

The owners get to pocket a large slice of money and defer the need to think about this position until next year. It also works if they are thinking of selling.

On to the next gap in the squad...

I fear we may struggle this year.

But please, please can we top his "asset stripping"nonsense?

If you have £100m worth of players and sell them, your asset is worth £100m less. This isn't a cunning plan to sell all our best players and hope a new buyer fails to realise we are now short of laying talent.

If you sell a part of your assets for £20m your overall assets are now worth £20m less. I hope this is simple enough for the non-mathematical posters.

Surely you replace the £100m player asset with £100m Cash in Bank Asset

I'd rather have an average EPL left back on loan that Targett can come off the bench for as we go through the season so he gets more and more experience and can cover for ryan when he is injured etc and then Matty is ready for next year as starting LB.

I think we all mentioned it and I know the media did after Luke's sale that left back isn't the crucial position that we need a worldy in just someone who can do the job and fit the system. If he was on our radar with Pooch then obviously our scouts have had him lined up for a while and if he has a stormer then nearly 1/3 price of the Luke seems like a win win.

1 position replaced for not much cash with option to buy, happy days as long as the next few key positions (CB, RM, ST) money is spent.

So, if he has a blinder with us, he will sign next summer yes.... No he will clear off to a 'top 6' club.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't!

Dead right, he has a blinder and signs for a top 6 side next summer - Saints! Welcome Ryan, I'm looking forward to seeing you play and hope this is the beginning of an exciting fresh start for you.

I will support him because this season (at least), he's a Saint.

When i have watched him live, i have usually found him to be quite "safe", but almost to the point when he is a hindrance. Full backs need to be able to hurt the opposition, and despite early promise in his career, i don't think he hurts teams going forward.

One game comes to mind when i was with a mate watching Chelsea v Man City in the FA Cup semi a couple of years ago. Whenever he got the ball he would go sideways or backwards to CB/keeper. I'm sure his stats will say he had a solid game. But my mate and I commented on just how comfortable Man City were when he had they ball. They had time to gently ease across the pitch and get position, and he never once looked like using the ball quickly to take advantage of a gap. It meant that Man City could actually encourage the CBs to always go to their left, rather than to the RB.

I know it is only one game, and also against the best team in the league, but for some reason (probably because i didn't care who won the match), i focused on him throughout. He was very easy to play against. He played with fear. I've always remembered when Gordon Strachan talked about players needing to brave on the ball. I don't (yet) see that with Bertrand.

I hope he can see this move as a chance to play without fear. Good luck with Saints, Ryan