Your Top Five Albums Of All Time

Gemmel

So the members of this site cover many generations, so what are the best five albums in your collection?

For me it would be (And in no particular order)

Setting Sons - The Jam

Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf

Kick - INXS

What's The Story Morning Glory - Oasis

Guns N Roses - Greatest Hits

Special mentions to; Inspiral Carpets, Ocean Colour Scene & UB40

Think we've done this before, but never hurts to do it again. Not necessarily the best. Just the most influential.

These...

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Pulp - Different Class

Lamb of God - Sacrament

Kanye West - Late Registration

...are great examples of their genres, and got me listening to more.

This:-

Rage Against The Machine - first album

Is quite a listen at age 17 :)

As Pap says, it's been done before, and I'll probably list a completely different 5 to what I did previously!!

Infact, I find it impossible to limit my choice to 5, so I'm going to cheat and follow on from Pap, and choose albums that have influenced me from different genres at different times of my life.

I guess most of us will list Albums from our teen years, and too be honest that is the era that most of my favourite music till this day comes from, and what I listen to more than any other era.

Pre/Early Teens - listening to Radio 1 and Radio Luxembourg mainly. Favs included Slade, Roxy Music, T Rex, Alice Cooper and David Bowie.

Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies gets the vote, although Bowie's Alladin Sane comes a very close runner up.

Late Teens - This is when I discovered (or should I say was introduced to) "Prog rock / LP Orientated Groups. The 1st time I heard Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon simply blew me away. This was the time I was buying an Album and going to gigs (and virtually every Saints home game and about 8 away games a season - how on earth I could afford to I don't know!!), if I'd displayed as much enthusiasm towards my studying as I did music and football I'd have got more than my one paltry A Level :blush:

So many contenders here - Floyd, Led Zep, Genesis (with Gabriel), Yes, Hawkwind, BJH (Live), Deep Purple (Made in Japan) etc etc. From this era I'll go for Dark Side of The Moon, even though it probably isn't even my best Floyd Album!! I'm also going to add the very under rated Roy Harper with HQ. It's got rock, acoustic and even a Brass Band on the incredible and oh so english "When an old cricketer leaves the crease" a contender for my funeral!! Hey that could be a new thread!!

The Punk Era - The charts were full of rubbish, my favourite groups were all turning into over inflated egos and 20 minute drum solos ... then came Punk / New Wave / Mod / 2 Tone Ska. Oddly enough The Sex Pistols nearly turned me off Punk, but luckily The Clash, Stranglers, The Jam, The Specials, Madness, Siouxsie, Stiff Little Fingers, Tom Robinson, Television etc etc. I'm going to plump for Rattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers. It showed me that some of these groups could actually play and didn't need shock tactics and alcolm Maclaren branding to suceed.

The late 80's onwards became a virtual musical desert for me as I moved overseas to The SandPit!! Before the days of Innernetz and MTV etc, local radio stations played the same old chart stuff so discovering new stuff was virtually impossible, and I stuck to playing all the stuff listed above as I replaced my vinyl with Cassettes and then CD's. BritPop / Indie era re awakened my musical taste buds, but most of my music is now from Compilation Albums rather than individual artists. However Oasis stood out from the rest and What's The Story (Morning Glory) gets the vote.

2000 onwards. Still mainly purchasing Compilation Albums!! Best Album and one of the best liver gigs for me in recent times ... The Subways with Young for Eternity.

Sorry it got a bit long!! I had some spare time and it was either this or doing some washing up and laundry.

Television - Marquee Moon

The Smiths - Meat is Murder

Wild Beasts - Smother

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Destroyer - Kaputt

Honourable mentions to Gang of Four - Entertainment; LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver; PJ Harvey - Let England Shake; Beach House - Teen Dream; Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man, etc etc....

Edited by Toon Saint

As a disclaimer, I am a 90s kid, I don't have quite the same taste as some of you old fogies here!

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

Jukebox The Ghost - Everything Under The Sun

Muse - Black Holes & Revelations

Queen - A Night At The Opera (thanks Dad!)

The Wombats - This Modern Glitch

Some cracking records mentioned already. Not a duff one amongst them (although personally not a fan of Radiohead!)

Fav mentions so far include Rattus Norvegicus (bloody love the Stranglers), Marquee Moon (learnt to play electric guitar off that!) and Different Class (fell in love to that!).

This is impossible!!! I live for my music; like others have said, I cannot pick just five albums! But, let's try, Here are five albums I could not exist without.

Billy Bragg - Back To Basics (double LP of life's a riot... and brewing up...)

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning

Dan le Sac versus Scroobius Pip - Logic Of Chance

Beta Band - The Three E.P.s

Just missing out (could all be top five tomorrow)

Carter USM - 30 Something

Gallows - Orchestra Of Wolves

Inspiral Carpets - Beast Inside

Bran Van 3000 - Glee

Echo and The Bunnymen - Crocodiles

Frank Turner - Love, Ire and Song

The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

Leonard Cohe....

.....Arghhhhh. This is toooo hard. I need about a dozen fake logins to come back and do my list in full.

DSOM- Pink Floyd

Sgt Pepper -Beatles

Layla and other Assorted Love Songs-Derek & The Dominoes

Hotel California- Eagles

And a bit if a cheat-Are You Experienced-US version with the singles Hey Joe, Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary-I don't have the original vinyl like the others on this-by the incomparable Jimi Hendrix.

Unfortunately another all time favourite Otis Redding really only released singles, so no original album -greatest hits don't really count.

The Stones-early only, Queen, Cream and The Who are notable just missed.

Music Has The Right To Children - Boards of Canada

I Care Because You Do - Aphex Twin

Cro Magnox - Ceephax

Diamond Mine - King Creosote & Jon Hopkins

Double Figure -Plaid

ps. Danger Mouse you have excellent taste in music. Do you frequent WATMM perchance?

Edited by SaintsAhoy

The Tubes....Backwards Principle

Pink Floyd. .....Dark Side of The Moon

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young .....Deja Vu

Whitesnake....Whitesnake

Pink Floyd.....Wish you were here

Did you know they released a remastered version of that a couple of years back? And it sounds genuinely better. I saw them in NY on my 50th birthday, Fee Waybill signed a copy for me.

...oh, and in no particular order;

Pistols, never mind the b*llocks

Clash, London calling

Specials, first album

Floyd, Animals

Pirates, Shaking with the devil.

Bubbling under, Feelgoods Stupidity and anything by Wilko, Police Regatta de blanc, Tubes What do you want from Live, Joy divisions Closer, Gong with Camembert Electrique and the Flying Teapot, The Slits Cut, Led Zep 3 and 4, The Cure Seventeen seconds, Gang of four Entertainment, Elvis Costello Get Happy and Armed forces, TRB Winter of 89, Banshees The Scream, Vibrators V2, Thin Lizzy Jailbreak/johnny the fox, and for some bizarre reason, Buggles Age of plastic and the soundtrack to Body Heat.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Foxtrot - Genesis-

Led Zeppelin 4 - Led Zeppelin

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Radio Gnome Invisible - Gong

Shooting at the Moon - Kevin Ayers

6 is the new 5. ;)

Edited by Ohio Saint

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Foxtrot - Genesis-

Led Zeppelin 4 - Led Zeppelin

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Radio Gnome Invisible - Gong

Shooting at the Moon - Kevin Ayers

6 is the new 5. ;)

They are actually still touring. Still terrific, and with most of the original lineup. Their new(ish) album is excellent, 2032.

The Stone Roses - the stone Roses

ACDC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Guns and Roses - appetite for destruction.

Radiohead - Pablo Honey. Or The Bends. Or OK Computer.

Queen - Greatest Hits.

But of a cheat with a greatest hits album and also not choosing the best Radiohead album but what are you gonna do?

They are actually still touring. Still terrific, and with most of the original lineup. Their new(ish) album is excellent, 2032.

Original lineup? As opposed to the several officially sanctioned and Daevid Allen encouraged versions of Gong that were all over the place years back? :)

Dire Straits - Love over gold

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here

Take That - The Circus

Supertramp- Breakfast in America

Christopher - Colours

I had to make a toss up between WYWH and DSOTM. Either one on any given day is the better album IMO

Like everyone else, five is so difficult to come up with so these are five that I still regularly play ( which i suppose makes them favourites?)

DSOM - Floyd

The Blurred Crusade - The Church

Everyone is Everybody Else - Barclay James Harvest

The Crossing - Big Country

HMS Fable - Shack

Original lineup? As opposed to the several officially sanctioned and Daevid Allen encouraged versions of Gong that were all over the place years back? :)

I had to make a toss up between WYWH and DSOTM. Either one on any given day is the better album IMO

And of course Animals can be added to them as well. Nearly as difficult as picking Southampton's best midfielder ;-)

Ref your list I could so easily have chosen Led Zep II or IV, but the Genesis one would have been between Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, withTrick of the Tail also just inching ahead of Foxtrot!! As for chosing Gong, a bit of a surprise. I saw them supporting Hawkwind at Bomo Winter Garedens late 70's. Probably the weirdest gig I've been to. Daevid Allen was wearing a traffic cone with an inflatable swimming waist band in the shape of a duck on top of it. Could barely see the stage through the fug of "herbal" cigarettes :)

I hadn't heard about it, but am listening to it now. It's very good, but I have a small problem so far. It sounds like it was recorded in a studio. The old Gong sounded like it was actually recorded in a stoner's brain, if that makes sense? And Allen raps now!? LOL

And of course Animals can be added to them as well. Nearly as difficult as picking Southampton's best midfielder ;-)

Ref your list I could so easily have chosen Led Zep II or IV, but the Genesis one would have been between Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, withTrick of the Tail also just inching ahead of Foxtrot!! As for chosing Gong, a bit of a surprise. I saw them supporting Hawkwind at Bomo Winter Garedens late 70's. Probably the weirdest gig I've been to. Daevid Allen was wearing a traffic cone with an inflatable swimming waist band in the shape of a duck on top of it. Could barely see the stage through the fug of "herbal" cigarettes :)

Floyd, Zep, Genesis, Crimson..... If you have to choose just one album, you have to change the top one with the mood of the day. I can agree with all your alternative choices on a Tuesday and call you deluded on Wednesday. ;)

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Portishead - Dummy

Lacuna Coil - KarmaCode

The Jam - Snap

U2 - The Joshua Tree

( and that means no room for any Iron Maiden, Metallica, Clash, Led Zep, Jethro Tull,...... ask me again tomorrow and I'll change my mind )

( and that means no room for any Iron Maiden, Metallica, Clash, Led Zep, Jethro Tull,...... ask me again tomorrow and I'll change my mind )

Tull do not have a best album. Solid consistent work. I use Tull as a Pandora base band to hear other excellent tracks that I know I'm going to like. Oh sod it, I'll go with Songs From the Wood. :)

Tull do not have a best album. Solid consistent work. I use Tull as a Pandora base band to hear other excellent tracks that I know I'm going to like. Oh sod it, I'll go with Songs From the Wood. :)

That would be my pick, ( or Aqualung, or Heavy Horses, or Bursting Out, or..... ).

Too difficult to choose an all time top five, so I'll go literal and go for maybe my five top albums in my collection. I love vinyl, and I guess forking out about £100 for the following records probably means they deserve to be there.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

The Clash - The Clash

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

These are my 5.....

PJ HARVEY - Dry

Siouxsie - Ju Ju

PJ HARVEY - Rid of Me

Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties

PJ HARVEY - To Bring You My Love

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

PJ HARVEY and JOHN PARISH - Dance Hall at Louse Point

Slade - Play It Loud

PJ HARVEY - Is This Desire

The Cars - The Cars

PJ HARVEY -Stories From The City, Stories From the Sea

Talking Heads - 77

PJ HARVEY -Uh Huh Her

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

PJ HARVEY -White Chalk

New Model Army - Vengeance

PJ HARVEY and JOHN PARISH - A Woman a Man Walked By

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

PJ HARVEY - Let England Shake

Magazine - Real Life

The Yes Album - Yes

Pictures at an Exhibition - ELP

Revolver - The Beatles

The Joshua Tree - U2

An Awesome Wave - Alt J

Bubbling under - Foxtrot - Genesis, Marquee Moon - Television, Split - Groundhogs, Ghost Stories - Coldplay, Stand Up - Jethro Tull, Relayer - Yes, Who's Next - The Who, Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Sam's Town - The Killers

Edited by sadoldgit
added another