Best gig you've ever been to?

Beckenham Saint

Hard to pick just one, but:

July 15, 1972 at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens: The Rolling Stones with support act Stevie Wonder.

Also superb:

June 3, 2008 at Hamilton Place: Leonard Cohen

Also memorable: Neil Young, Richard and Linda Thompson, The Animals, Lucinda Williams, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Bob Dylan ("The Rolling Thunder Review"), Joan Armatrading

Feeder, Birmingham NIA, November 2003.

Supported by Aqualung and Kid Symphony.

A wonderful night, one of those superb gigs where you know you like the band but their performance leaves you absolutely loving them. Was only three people from the front, was incredible.

Honourable mention: Within Temptation, Supported by Delain. Birmingham O2 Academy. April 2014.

I can't pick one favourite.

Low at the Union Chapel in 2001 was the most spine tingling.

Sepultura at Brixton Academy in 1993 was the most nuts.

Massive Attack at a one off outdoor gig in the middle of Bristol in 2003 was the most immersive.

Wilco at the Wedgewood Rooms in 2004 would be the musos choice for sheer genius.

The first night of Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds at Royal Festival Hall was the most emotional.

Flaming Lips at any of their gig's I've been to are the most fun.

Radiohead's homecoming Oxford show in 2001 was the most special

Hard to pick just one, but:

July 15, 1972 at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens: The Rolling Stones with support act Stevie Wonder.

Also superb:

June 3, 2008 at Hamilton Place: Leonard Cohen

Also memorable: Neil Young, Richard and Linda Thompson, The Animals, Lucinda Williams, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Bob Dylan ("The Rolling Thunder Review"), Joan Armatrading

I bet that Stones gig was amazing! Would loved to have seen the Stones at the peak of their powers, just wouldn't be the same to see them now...

More than a little jealous that you caught the RTR, too!

James Brown, Godfather of Soul, at BB King's Blues Club in NYC, a few years before he died. Stood 15 feet away from the man the whole time. I've never experienced an energy like that between singer and audience.

Followed by David Bowie in Philly on his last tour, not this recent one, the one before it. We snuck down to the floor seats and were 50 ft away from the thin white duke. We stood for the whole show, awesome.

Edited by Saint_Abroad

Nice. I saw them on tour with Pantera in Texas (1994) - was also most nuts.

Any of the countless Carter USM gigs (1990-91)

Morrissey in Mexico City (2006?) - Mexicans LOVE Morrissey

White Denim in Brighton (2007)

Beck at Brixton Academy (mid-1990s)

Yeasayer at King Tuts in Glasgow.

Has to be Parkway Drive, Suicide Silence, Bury Your Dead in Tjs Newport in 2007 crazy atmosphere in there. Such emotion much tear!

Got the point that more of the crowd was on the stage than the floor and Parkway could hardly play because everyone wanted to hug or mosh with them.

I can't pick one favourite.

Low at the Union Chapel in 2001 was the most spine tingling.

Massive Attack at a one off outdoor gig in the middle of Bristol in 2003 was the most immersive.

Wilco at the Wedgewood Rooms in 2004 would be the musos choice for sheer genius.

The first night of Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds at Royal Festival Hall was the most emotional.

Flaming Lips at any of their gig's I've been to are the most fun.

Radiohead's homecoming Oxford show in 2001 was the most special

Saw both...they have to be right up there but it has to be Joni Mitchell, Royal Festival Hall, Sat 17th January 1970. I was in love and I suppose I still am...even though she's now 70.:)

...and of course Jeff Buckley, Wedgewood Rooms, 1995.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane

Wouldnt cross the road to see them now, but U2 on the Joshua Tree tour were amazing. Genesis when they toured with Foxtrot were awesome too. Also enjoyed Tears for Fears back in the day. Saw Keith Emerson with the reformed Nice a few years back too in Croydon which was emotional as I never seen them back in the 60s.

Saw Keith Emerson with the reformed Nice a few years back too in Croydon which was emotional as I never seen them back in the 60s.

Saw The Nice at The Beehive in Bournemouth in 1969...kept us waiting for an hour and a half after charging us 17/6 to get in. We thought the world has gone mad! What next a quid a gig??

The gig was good though.:lol:

For me, Primal Scream at the Barrowlands in Glasgow somewhere around 2000 when XTRMNTR came out. Place was absolutely rocking; the whole venue became a mosh pit whether you wanted to or not!

Nowhere down south comes close to somewhere like the Barras. We are bereft of a decent venue in either Southampton or Portsmouth that is of that size, can attract top bands and create that same atmosphere. Our crowds are just a bit quiet and reserved compared to the Wegies! Without doubt, Southampton Guildhall is absolutely atrocious acoustically to the extent I don't even bother now.

Saw The Nice at The Beehive in Bournemouth in 1969...kept us waiting for an hour and a half after charging us 17/6 to get in. We thought the world has gone mad! What next a quid a gig??

The gig was good though.:lol:

I think I paid £2.75 to see ELP at the Empire Pool Wembley and thought that was steep! (in 1974)

Best sound ever was Fleetwood Mac on the Rumours tour - it was like a top hi fi system at home.

Edited by sadoldgit
addition

Without doubt, Southampton Guildhall is absolutely atrocious acoustically to the extent I don't even bother now.

It's no coincidence that hardly any bands play there twice. Also whoever does their bookings is clueless.

We are bereft of a decent venue in either Southampton or Portsmouth

Pompey Guildhall is better than Southampton's but it's still a crap venue. Someone really needs to plough some money into a multi-roomed venue that can cater for 200-2000 capacity crowds. The old Bargate Centre would be perfect.

Bowie 1973 Ziggy Stardust tour - my first ever concert and still the best

Queen Barbarellas Night Club, Birmingham 1974

Ramones Birmingham Top Rank 1977

Clash Manchester 1977 on video singing with Joe Strummer

Dylan and Clapton at Blackbushe, 1978

Rolling Stones Wembley 1996

REM and Radiohead, Glastonbury 2003

Springsteen Crystal Palace 2003

U2 and The Killers Millenium Park 2008

Just smiling thinking of them all..

It's no coincidence that hardly any bands play there twice. Also whoever does their bookings is clueless.

Pompey Guildhall is better than Southampton's but it's still a crap venue. Someone really needs to plough some money into a multi-roomed venue that can cater for 200-2000 capacity crowds. The old Bargate Centre would be perfect.

Katherine has a few quid, wonder if she'd be interested?

Talking Heads tries hard but isn't great, the Brook has its moments but seems to have gone down the tribute route mainly. Not sure if the Joiners is still open? Guildhall is rubbish and the best place used to be the Wedgewood Rooms but I think the venue likes to self-promote so been a while since they had anyone really decent. Portsmouth Guildhall has a number of rooms they use but none are really any good. All in all, given the catchment area and student populations, we are pretty poorly served.

Katherine has a few quid, wonder if she'd be interested?

Talking Heads tries hard but isn't great, the Brook has its moments but seems to have gone down the tribute route mainly. Not sure if the Joiners is still open? Guildhall is rubbish and the best place used to be the Wedgewood Rooms but I think the venue likes to self-promote so been a while since they had anyone really decent. Portsmouth Guildhall has a number of rooms they use but none are really any good. All in all, given the catchment area and student populations, we are pretty poorly served.

The University has the odd gig but they are few and far between. Joiners is still open but they don't put on much I'm interested in these days. Agree about the Wedgewood Rooms, I was there a lot around the early 2000's but lately there hasn't been much. I am going to see Gruff Rhys there next month though.

It's annoying having to go to London or Brighton for the decent bands.

Little bit before my time. I went to the next one in 1990.

This is a very good write up of 1988.

http://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2012/06/05/guns-n-roses-at-donington-88-the-triumph-and-the-tragedy/

I went in '94 when it was Therapy?, Biohazard, Pantera and Sepultura followed by Extreme. Whoever booked them in that slot certainly had a sense of humour.

Johnny cash at the Albert hall about '94. Legend

Paul McCartney at Southampton gaumont about '79 then again at jrs stadium Miami in '90. Seriously good live act in those days.

Paul Simon BIC , great musicians with him, great show nearly 3 hours long.

Ringo Starr and his all star band BIC. Great night out.

Special mentions to chuck berry, Paul Weller and Wilko Johnson as well.

• 5 months later...

It's hard to pick 1

Elton John - Wembley Stadium 1984

Marillion on the Brave tour - Played the whole album - Stunning

Roger Waters does the wall at Wembley Stadium last year

Visually - Bon Jovi - The Circle Tour at the O2

Intimate - Bryan Adams at the Marquee on Wardour street pre Prnices Trust gig - At the height of his powers had to queue up on the day, we were 3-5 in the queue - some time in the early 80's

Intimate 2 - Joe Bonamassa - 100 people attend a recording for Radio 2 at the Maida Vale studios

Led Zeppelin at Earl's Court May 1975. Was late arriving as London was swarming with 'sweaties'. England had beaten them 5-1 at Wembley in the afternoon and there were about 80000 of them around and about. Had to queue for tickets overnight at a record store in Bournemouth in February though, which was a little on the chilly side.

Used to see quite a lot of gigs at Bournemouth Winter Gardens as we were living near Fordingbridge at the time so it was a bus ride down the A338. The first was ELP in late 1972, also saw Purple a couple of times, Genesis, Yes, Lindisfarne, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Rory Gallagher.

Really? I love the States, but every place I've been to there is different. But if you love music, then Austin is heaven. I've got a frequent urge to ditch the day job, move out to Austin and be a hippy, playing music for my beer. Sigh. If I ever disappear from Saintsweb, you know where I'll be.

• 7 months later...