Florin Gardos - DONE DEAL

Saint-Armstrong

We've got a Romanian Steaua Bucharest fan in my office. Just asked him what he thinks of Gardos.

He reckons he's sh*te. too slow, crap in the air despite his size, makes too many mistakes.

Thats a coincidence I've got a Romanian Steaua Bucharest fan in my office. Just asked him what he thinks of gardos.

He reckons he's great. Excellent positional play so doesn't need to use his pace to get him out of trouble, great with the ball at his feet despite his size and rarely makes a mistake.

Thats a coincidence I've got a Romanian Steaua Bucharest fan in my office. Just asked him what he thinks of gardos.

He reckons he's great. Excellent positional play so doesn't need to use his pace to get him out of trouble, great with the ball at his feet despite his size and rarely makes a mistake.

My my what cosmopolitan offices you all do work in.

Wow, even more of a coincidence -- my Romanian colleague (well intern) Elena Popescu who's a fanatical female supporter of Steaua says he uses his height brilliantly in the air and will do really well here.

There's a guy in my office, he says he's never heard of Gardos so he couldn't possibly offer an opinion.

Just passing on what he said.

There's a guy in my office, he says he's never heard of Gardos so he couldn't possibly offer an opinion.

There are absolutely no Romanian students at this summer school, so I can't help either.. No Dutch for that matter. Do we need any Spanish or Japanese players researched?

Wow, even more of a coincidence -- my Romanian colleague (well intern) Elena Popescu who's a fanatical female supporter of Steaua says he uses his height brilliantly in the air and will do really well here.

I have a skate in my office , he says he's never heard of Gardos .....

I asked my Wife who knows nothing about football and was born in Southampton what she thought of Gardos and I got a blank stare.

Speaks volumes.

I've just formed my own opinion, based on nothing at all, and have decided he'll be wank

First of all, it's good to be here.

I am Romanian Steaua Bucharest fan who doesn't work in the UK and a Saints admirer for more than a decade, eversince that 2-1 agg win in Uefa Cup - I admit it, we should not have won that one, Southampton were clearly the better side.

I will try and give you fellas my opinions and maybe shed some light over this Gardos possible transfer (btw, it is pronounced Gardosh).

Last year, following Chiriches' departure to Tottenham, has been the first year when FG was able to put in a full season and really show his capabilities. He is very similar in terms of style to his former team mate, better in the air, improved alot his passing this past year and his game awareness. Also bulked up a lot, seems stronger than before

Still has some work to do in positioning and his last man tackling has improved by miles but could use some more (there is a big wall in my yard with the bricks I've shat watching him tackle) but I do have high hopes with the lad.

IMO, his current flaws can be easily corrected by a good manager, he is a smart, decent guy.

He hasn't played this few matches this year due to a muscle problem but, from what I understand, things are ok now. This reminds me that he is not very injury prone, quite a tough fella

If you guys have more questions, fire away!

I am Romanian Steaua Bucharest fan who doesn't work in the UK and a Saints admirer for more than a decade, eversince that 2-1 agg win in Uefa Cup - I admit it, we should not have won that one, Southampton were clearly the better side.

I will try and give you fellas my opinions and maybe shed some light over this Gardos possible transfer (btw, it is pronounced Gardosh).

Last year, following Chiriches' departure to Tottenham, has been the first year when FG was able to put in a full season and really show his capabilities. He is very similar in terms of style to his former team mate, better in the air, improved alot his passing this past year and his game awareness. Also bulked up a lot, seems stronger than before

Still has some work to do in positioning and his last man tackling has improved by miles but could use some more (there is a big wall in my yard with the bricks I've shat watching him tackle) but I do have high hopes with the lad.

IMO, his current flaws can be easily corrected by a good manager, he is a smart, decent guy.

He hasn't played this few matches this year due to a muscle problem but, from what I understand, things are ok now. This reminds me that he is not very injury prone, quite a tough fella

Thanks!

How is his pace? Do you know if he speaks any English, or would be likely to?

Would you say he is on a similar level to Chiriches but a little more physically suited to English football?

Thanks for the update and I hope that wasn't too painful?!

He hasn't played this few matches this year due to a muscle problem but, from what I understand, things are ok now. This reminds me that he is not very injury prone, quite a tough fella.

Thanks John Ro. Do you have any more thoughts on whether Gardos will do better than Chirich in the English league?

I am sure you will be welcome on this forum, many of us on here have great memories of the tie between the two clubs. Not sure we were better than you though, we were very negative, and you had some very good technical players.

Thanks!

How is his pace? Do you know if he speaks any English, or would be likely to?

Would you say he is on a similar level to Chiriches but a little more physically suited to English football?

His pace is good, I'd say above average for a 6'4" defender.

He is similar to Chiriches, has great ball abilities, physically is better prepared. Needs also to improve his weaker foot, not quite as good as Chiriches'

His pace is good, I'd say above average for a 6'4" defender.

He is similar to Chiriches, has great ball abilities, physically is better prepared. Needs also to improve his weaker foot, not quite as good as Chiriches'

Thanks. Is he right footed?

I think Chiriches hasnt had as much game time at Spurs as he should. Is perhaps a bit lightweight at times, but very good on the ball.

I'm hearing that this guy has a medical booked in for tomorrow

He's having one now as well, and he has another one later tonight.

Should be on his 10th medical by tomorrow. He could wake up one day with his head elsewhere, so always safe to check his medical state lots of times.

Anyone else a teeny bit suspicious of a Romanian who has a command of English that lends itself to sentences such as there is a big wall in my yard with the bricks I've shat watching him tackle

Or maybe just me. :o

Perhaps it has a different connotation in Romania?

Thanks for the update and I hope that wasn't too painful?!

Not sure I follow you. I know my English is not that good, I hope you can forgive that

If he comes will he bring half his village with him ?

No, mate... He'll drop them off in London... Maybe just his GF, she's quite a hottie

Can you slip some ecstasy into Alpine's coffee when you next see him.

Nope, I am more of an Acid type of guy

Anyone else a teeny bit suspicious of a Romanian who has a command of English that lends itself to sentences such as there is a big wall in my yard with the bricks I've shat watching him tackle

Or maybe just me. :o

Might be an Englishman living and working in Romania.....just saying:D

Not sure I follow you. I know my English is not that good, I hope you can forgive that

No, mate... He'll drop them off in London... Maybe just his GF, she's quite a hottie

Nope, I am more of an Acid type of guy

Welcome to the forum john_ro. Thanks for the opinion on Gardos. As far as the Romanian media is concerned is this a done deal?

All the media here in Romania (yes, I am Romanian :) ) claims this is a done deal and that Koeman is eager to have him asap, even reports suggesting he will start this weekend Lpool match. I am not buying that, I doubt any sound minded manager will start with a newcomer with zero EPL experience.

On the other hand, Steaua's chairman said tonight there is not an official offer for the player from Southampton but there have been plenty of talks...

Edited by john_ro