Jack Cork Rumours

toe_punt

Anyone know if we have offered him a new contract yet?

If not, very difficult to understand why, especially given that even if Morgan stays for now, realistically he is likely to go in January. Don't see the sense in letting a proven performer like Cork go when so many others have left. Hopefully, common sense will prevail...

A writer for The Telegraph, no idea on the quality of his information but I suppose it lends credence to the Clasie rumours as well if we are going to let Jack go...

@ThomasPrentki: Koeman confirmed club have no plans to offer Cork a new contract at present in his post-match comments. #Saintsfc

Some quotes from RK re: Cork

If Saints can complete a move for Alderweireld it would cast further doubt over the future of Jack Cork, who scored his first ever goal for the club in the Capital One Cup win at the Den last night. Cork had been earmarked as cover for Nathaniel Clyne at right back and Koeman was again quizzed on his future.

“He’s a player of Southampton,” said the Saints boss, who confirmed there were no immediate plans to offer the player a new contract, with his current deal set to expire next summer.

“About him there was a lot of rumours, but Jack is doing very well and wants to stay in Southampton.

“Okay, if there is any possibility for him, and when he is not happy, then he knows the door is open of my office and he can come to talk and then we will see what the best is for everyone in this situation.”

Sounds like if we can get in some RB cover he'll be off.

A writer for The Telegraph, no idea on the quality of his information but I suppose it lends credence to the Clasie rumours as well if we are going to let Jack go...

@ThomasPrentki: Koeman confirmed club have no plans to offer Cork a new contract at present in his post-match comments. #Saintsfc

Wow!! The writer Tom is a local chap who went to Cantel, his a nice honest chap so he wouldn't have made the quote up.

Having played some of the last two games, it would appear that Cork is ahead of both Reed and Taider at present. Okay, we may bring someone else in, though the clock is ticking, but Koeman is either getting more impressed by Jack, or very determined to shop window him. As he gave the man forty five minutes of a game we wanted to win, and brought him on as a strategic change, one has to think Jack's star is back on the ascendency.

Not many posters on here seem to rate him for some reason. I think he's the sort of player we will let go and then regret immensely.

We are going to lose Morgan soon, we will not be able to keep Wanyama for long either if I am any judge (going on his and his agent's comments) so why the hell would we let a classy little player like Cork slip through the net? Beggars belief and we are going to be so short in that position soon.

Stuff about not offering Cork a new contract is also in the Echo today. Seems madness to me, but successive managers seem not to rate him that highly. Just hope he can play well enough to earn himself a new deal. Fantastic character to have in any PL squad IMO.

Bizarre. Such a valuable, neat and tidy little player, I can't see why we don't want to keep him on board. Clearly, if we bring in Clasie then he slips further down the pecking order but, if not, he offers good insurance if we do lose Morgan (& maybe even big Vic too). I just hope the board aren't kidding themselves they can hold on to Morgan beyond the end of the season and are willing to let Cork go as a result.

Has there been another such situation where the fans are desperate to retain a player but successive managers have not (unlike the situation where fans want to retain a player but the player himself wants out, of which there have been many!).

I do feel sorry for him. What does he have to do to get a contract. I can only imagine that his agent said a berserk wage and the club are calling his bluff.

That could be it. Even if he is not wanted long term, a new short-ish contract means we protect a decent transfer fee which has to be at risk as the season ticks along. As per Evra as Utd, signed a new deal but then left shortly after. So its in the clubs interest whatever the long term plan for JC

Utterly nuts IMO.

We are going to lose Morgan soon, we will not be able to keep Wanyama for long either if I am any judge (going on his and his agent's comments) so why the hell would we let a classy little player like Cork slip through the net? Beggars belief and we are going to be so short in that position soon.

Added to which,I suspect Taider will want to move on to 'bigger things' even if we want to keep him at the end of the season. Cork is invaluableto us as a solid dependable player this season, and probably next.

Not many posters on here seem to rate him for some reason. I think he's the sort of player we will let go and then regret immensely.

Not sure what gives you that idea. A lot of fans (including me) rate him very highly. I'd be very sorry to see him go.

Like CB Saint, I wonder if his agent is asking for a huge rise, and Saints are calling his bluff.

Would be madness to sell him. Surely Ronald could see his impact off the bench yesterday? One of the reasons we looked so static on Saturday was because Corky wasn't playing. The whole team's play flows so much better with him in the side. Bombarding Koeman's twitter sounds a good idea. For goodness sake, we've had enough trouble keeping our best players, let alone pushing one out of the door. Crazy!

It would be an incredible sale that wouldn't make any sense. We were **** in that first half, brought him on and immediately we showed a lot more composure on the ball.

Why get rid of a reliable, experienced premiership player in this summer of change? Especially when he's happy to be here.

I just don't get it at all. No sense. It screams of Fitz Hall all over again to me.

And if the club don't see Palace as a rival, then they need to wake up.

Even if the club (for whatever reason) don't want to keep him, I'd rather keep him all season and let him leave on a free.

Odd decision to play him last night if we're going to sell him. Taider better be bloody good!

A real shame.

I have a feeling it's a Les Reed call, and that he feels he's blocking Harry Reed's path.

But that theory will be blown out of the water if we go and sign Clasie!

Maybe, but would be an odd move for the player, if he moves looking for more regular starts without knowing for sure what any new manager wants

totally agree, but it would be the security of a three or four year deal.

I will be really ****ed off if he does leave.

Everyone is saying they don't get it but to me it's obvious. In a position where we have depth and talent we find ourselves with one player who has less than a year left on his contract and a younger international player, on loan with first option to buy, from Inter Milan. Koeman is the type of manager who will be awarding one of these players a contract at the end of the season. It's a play off. Best man wins. It's exactly the right move.

Dude, whatever.

For me what will happen now is exactly a replay of 2012/13. Corky comes back into reckoning and our season takes a turn for the better.

I'm a big fan and will question the managements strategy and common sense if they let him go and risk a load of expensive foreign imports.

How to you produce that within 1min of it being posted that Warnock is manager.... You are an odd character MLG I have to say! Always impressive and informative. But odd none the less.

Why have you assumed I produced it? Its currently one of the most popular images on Twitter, with "Jason Puncheon" trending.

Even if we give him a contract to stop him leaving for nothing,he must be worth £4-5 mill as it is ? such a underated player by everyone but us fans,can't work out what I am missing that all these managers seem to see in his game that doesn't get him picked

Even if we give him a contract to stop him leaving for nothing,he must be worth £4-5 mill as it is ? such a underated player by everyone but us fans,can't work out what I am missing that all these managers seem to see in his game that doesn't get him picked

Although he is a good player, central midfield is the strongest position in our squad and we have better players than him in his position. That is why when everyone is fit, Cork won't start games.