Calum Chambers

Leicestersaint

I see that he is starting today and playing as centre back. Good enough for Arsenal in that position - but not for Saints! I was saying last season that I thought he could be converted to be a CB but the great men running our club clearly did not agree.

I think that out of all the players we lost this summer, Chambers is the one we should regret the most. What a huge error of judgement.

I was saying last season that I thought he could be converted to be a CB but the great men running our club clearly did not agree.

What a huge error of judgement.

Saints played Chambers as a centre back for the under 21's towards the end of last season when Clyne was keeping him out of the 1st team. Had one of the biggest clubs in World football not turned his head then he may well have played centre back for Saints.

Saints played Chambers as a centre back for the under 21's towards the end of last season when Clyne was keeping him out of the 1st team. Had one of the biggest clubs in World football not turned his head then he may well have played centre back for Saints.

we could have said no, this summer

I see that he is starting today and playing as centre back. Good enough for Arsenal in that position - but not for Saints! I was saying last season that I thought he could be converted to be a CB but the great men running our club clearly did not agree.

I think that out of all the players we lost this summer, Chambers is the one we should regret the most. What a huge error of judgement.

I agree. I think it should have been Chambers not Morgan being told they need to stay. If he can play well in CB then it would have been somewhat useful to have him now!

Absolutely.. He is an immense talent. God knows what decision-making process the Board followed to result in selling him.

Chambers won't be first choice at centre back when Koscielny and Mertesacker are fit, and he'll be pushed further down the pecking order when they bring in a replacement for Vermaelen.

It's a real shame we let him go but I wouldn't use today's Arsenal lineup to indicate that he should have been a centre half for us last season.

I can't believe that the great men running our club didn't listen to Leicestersaint! Idiots! Why were they not looking at SaintsWeb to get tactical ideas? These so called 'great men' aren't great at all. They are stupid.

What other stupid errors of judgement have they made after SaintsWeb posters had made it pretty obvious what they should do?

Why if he did not want to play for us

The only position he could play was Rb and Clyne is better than him so where was he to play surely not CB in the PL

what was 18 year old, 20 game in his pro career do, had we said no?

if the only position he could play was RB, why is he strutting it around wembley at CB for arsenal?

Edited by Batman

really?

no player actually went on strike, did they

chambers had/has no gravitas in the game to do such a thing

anyway, just another poor decision in a summer of many

Clearly they never gave this a second thought the fools. You and your ilk never fail to amaze me Delldays.

He has never suggested it is a 'sell everything that moves' exercise has he?

he said that the club pulled the plug on the sale of morgan at the last min (and everyone else important) after the backlash and negative press from the sale of chambers.

he said that the club pulled the plug on the sale of morgan at the last min (and everyone else important) after the backlash and negative press from the sale of chambers.

Yes, but he never suggested it was a sell everything that moves policy, you just made that up.

Yes, but he never suggested it was a sell everything that moves policy, you just made that up.

the selling of everything that moves was an expression of the situation as it unfolded. it never stopped for tactical reasons, it stopped due to the poor press and fan reaction (if you believe KK)

I am prepared to accept that, as with most businesses, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than the plabs like us will ever know. No matter what you think of the people on the Board they have risen to where they are in their professions for a reason. In my experience in management you look at all of the options before making a decsion and I find it highly unlikely that they ignored the fact that Chambers could play in other positions before they decided to sell him.

If we are going to have a bedwetting session everytime an ex player of our does something a) different or b) good it is going to be an even more sad place to visit than it has been already this summer.

They made a call. This player is gone. It really does not matter any more. Time to move on and to move forward.

the selling of everything that moves was an expression of the situation as it unfolded. it never stopped for tactical reasons, it stopped due to the poor press and fan reaction (if you believe KK)

Let me get this right - they would have sold every member of the squad if we had takers? We had a bid in for Fonte and he is still here. Apparently we have had bids for JRod and he is still here. Werent Munich in for Boruc and he is still here? Even this Board with their previously unplumbed depth of incompetance probably realised at some point that we need to field 11 players against Liverpool.

Let me get this right - they would have sold every member of the squad if we had takers? We had a bid in for Fonte and he is still here. Apparently we have had bids for JRod and he is still here. Werent Munich in for Boruc and he is still here? Even this Board with their previously unplumbed depth of incompetance probably realised at some point that we need to field 11 players against Liverpool.

good points.

just going off what KK Billy stated. it was due to fans reaction that the plug was pulled last min on the sale of morgan and further sales.

to me (if we believe him. Most do) that we were very much open for business. That included players in also. but it was seemingly a non tactical decision that stopped the sales...

anyway,matters not as you previously said. just have to live with it and see us struggle a lot this season

It wasn't a sell everything that moves exercise though, you just made that up. The club clearly weren't keen on selling Lovren, Lallana, Fonte.

From BBC Sports feed:

Interesting. Calum Chambers steps out of defence like a young Alan Hansen, marching upfield and joining in the play up top, in fact he's in the six-yard box waiting for a cross but Mathieu Debuchy has strayed offside. Debuchy playing very high up the pitch so far, Theo Walcott style.[/Quote]

I've said before that we might have undervalued Chambers in terms of the versatility that he offered. A few on here said £11m was a lot of money for a second-choice RB but given that he offered cover at RB, CB, and CM, can't help but feel Arsenal have got a hell of a deal and we will live to regret it. Should Ralph have discovered his mettle a week earlier we could have kept onto him for another season and been looking at a similar fee to that which we received for Shaw.

Edited by Toon Saint

It wasn't a sell everything that moves exercise though, you just made that up. The club clearly weren't keen on selling Lovren, Lallana, Fonte.

it was an expression of the situation. which i have stated.

an expression is usually made by an individual...does that make it clear

:lol:

Get this guy running the club. He clearly knows it all!

I've long held the view that there is a wealth of untapped potential on this forum. The amount of tactical geniuses, coaches, scouts, man managers, not to mention finance and law experts and business greats. The only surprise is when recruiting for these positions the club don't simply read a few threads and invite the contributors to interviews.

Don't buy that. I accept that the reaction to CC might not have been quite what was expected, but to be honest, it wasn't for many any different than their current reactions. Just because it seemed to us, the press and most others that the situation was out of control, it doesn't mean that it was. Lambert, Lallana and Shaw was seemingly planned. Lovren transfer request seemed to be planned for (having received the request) given that it took a number of weeks to conclude. Chambers - who knows what had been going on behind the scenes? He may well turn out to be the dog's but £16m for 20 PL games is a ridiculous amount, well at least to me it is.

Anyway, back to not buying it. So we raised a lot of cash, but we have also shelled out a not inconsiderable amount. I don't really buy into Reed's all the money will be for purchases and wages or rather, I am not sure quite what he means (which I suspect is how it was supposed to come across). I have no problems selling high, replacing lower, and using the difference elsewhere, even if the owner wants to take some money out. In fact I would be happier if she did, as that way she can run it as a proper business investment. But I don't buy that we have had a complete volte face and gone from selling everything to now signing £10m players because of adverse reaction from supporters.

I am prepared to accept that, as with most businesses, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than the plabs like us will ever know. No matter what you think of the people on the Board they have risen to where they are in their professions for a reason.

Katharina - accident of birth (inheritance from her father)

Ralph - appointment by above with no knowledge/experience of professional football

Hofstetter (since departed) -ability to shoot himself in the foot while having his foot in his mouth

Your support for our incompetent board is clearly based on sound judgement

The only board member who had any idea baout Chambers' abilities was Les Reed, and presumably he was persuaded by the others that it was not a problem letting Calum go.

Why don't people want Fonte in the lineup all of the sudden?

He´s the best right sided CB we have, the position Chambers would play in too....

I remember when nobody even mentioned right or left sided centrebacks, they were just centrebacks and got on with it.

Ralph - appointment by above with no knowledge/experience of professional football

Hofstetter (since departed) -ability to shoot himself in the foot while having his foot in his mouth

The only board member who had any idea baout Chambers' abilities was Les Reed, and presumably he was persuaded by the others that it was not a problem letting Calum go.

I'm sure it was as simple as that.

I am prepared to accept that, as with most businesses, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than the plabs like us will ever know. No matter what you think of the people on the Board they have risen to where they are in their professions for a reason.

Shame the reason had nothing to do with football for of all of them bar Reed!

Katharina, do you know how much business acumen she has? Just because she inherited the business does not mean to say she doesnt know how to run it.

Ralph - clearly knows his stuff and has been brought in the run the commercial side.

Hofstetter - the "fans" have been calling fr transparity for ages (something we didnt have under NC by the way) so he makes statement. Shoot him

Reed - been here a while and as part of a successful team has clearly earnt his spurs.

Koeman - not a Board member but brought in by the Board to succeed someone who didnt want to be here. I suspect they speak to him quite a lot about football matters.

I have more faith in these people than I do a bunch of whining jumped up cyber jockies who feel quite happy to make profund statements on nothing more than conjecture.

My judgement of the Board is based on the fact that they know what is happening whereas all you are doing is guessing.

I've long held the view that there is a wealth of untapped potential on this forum. The amount of tactical geniuses, coaches, scouts, man managers, not to mention finance and law experts and business greats. The only surprise is when recruiting for these positions the club don't simply read a few threads and invite the contributors to interviews.

There is a lot of truth in this. Should the club take off their blinkers and start recruiting from swf, Turks would still be in Southampton overseeing office supplies at St Marys. I am prepared, should the call come, to oversee entertainment facilities at the ground. I sense a portsmouth-type buyout in the offing, who's with me?

Katharina, do you know how much business acumen she has? Just because she inherited the business does not mean to say she doesnt know how to run it.

Ralph - clearly knows his stuff and has been brought in the run the commercial side.

Hofstetter - the "fans" have been calling fr transparity for ages (something we didnt have under NC by the way) so he makes statement. Shoot him

Reed - been here a while and as part of a successful team has clearly earnt his spurs.

Koeman - not a Board member but brought in by the Board to succeed someone who didnt want to be here. I suspect they speak to him quite a lot about football matters.

I have more faith in these people than I do a bunch of whining jumped up cyber jockies who feel quite happy to make profund statements on nothing more than conjecture.

My judgement of the Board is based on the fact that they know what is happening whereas all you are doing is guessing.

I should add that we gained promotion to the Premiership under the ownership of Katharina and have been there for 2 seasons. Not bad for a novice eh?

I should add that we gained promotion to the Premiership under the ownership of Katharina and have been there for 2 seasons. Not bad for a novice eh?

a genuine question

wasnt he ownership of the club in probate at the time? IE, it was basically cortese's to run, hence the schtick he gets about spending etc