Calum Chambers

Leicestersaint

22 first-team appearances for Saints. Nothing.

2 first-team appearances for Arsenal. England call up.

Clyne. Still ignored.

Agree, an absolute joke. Would he have been called up for England if he'd had a couple of Prem starts for us at the start of the season? He wasn't even picked for the Under 21s previously.

Is anyone actually denying that CC is good enough for the squad? Wish him well to be honest, but am still surprised Clyne hasn't been given a chance.

Most surprising to me is that Lambert is still in there. Hardly looking at the long term.

Yes. He hasnt proved himself good enough from his club appearances yet and has been blamed for a couple of goals at CH for Arsenal. He is still a novice at this level.

Annoying but obvious. Saints England players had to be very, very good for quite a while before getting a chance, and we're still ignored when it came to the crunch.

Chambers probably should be in there, but he simply wouldn't have been without moving. So what message is this to Clyne?

Squad in awful though, you realise how we're lacking in so many positions. Delph and Colback I won't slag off, England need to look at proper CMs who can do a TEAM job rather than endless egos and individuals. Still feel Cork if playing weekly could add something, and Huddlestone.

Only right spot is fast attacking midfielders it seems. Sterling, chamberlain, Walcott to come back. But he'll probably play Townsend and Welbeck.

Up front is just woeful. Let's not debate rooneys use again, Sturridge alone up front is fine but Welbeck is poor and lambert isn't the future.

and Danny rose?! I assume because Gibbs is injured. This would make Bertrand 5th choice LB I guess while I had him 4th. CB is so weak after the starters.

Least Milner is still in there, that's the main thing.

I like Huddlestone. If he was a bit more mobile, he'd be a cracking player I reckon.

Most annoying part is Clyne will be looking at Chambers and thinking he need to move to be considered as he is arguably better and certainly more experienced.

Paying for Saints didnt stop Lallana, Lambert and JRod getting called up. I am sure he will get his chance with us if he keeps playing well.

No surprise Chambers has been selected... class act at RB last season and was in most pundits future England team even before he left for Arsenal.

Future being the operative word here. He was a bit part player for us not a first team regular and although has clear potential, that is what development throught the U21s is all about. He has been exposed a few times at CH for Arsenal and is not ready for the full International team yet.

what an absolute joke

if clyne has any aspirations of being an England footballer, he needs to get a move to a glory club

Once again Delldays you are losing the plot. Once again, it didnt stop Lallana, Lambert of JRod being called up, why should it prevent Clyne?

Once again Delldays you are losing the plot. Once again, it didnt stop Lallana, Lambert of JRod being called up, why should it prevent Clyne?

im not losing anything?

why do I have to 'lose the plot' because you disagree?

do you think chambers would have been called up had we said the big bad NO to him going to arsenal?

it took lallana and lambert 2 years of regular premier league football and top performances week in week out to get selected

Rodriguez had to be selected as he kept scoring lots of goals

does chambers deserve to be called up as a right back ahead of clyne. absolutely not

good to see delph in there though

Future being the operative word here. He was a bit part player for us not a first team regular and although has clear potential, that is what development throught the U21s is all about. He has been exposed a few times at CH for Arsenal and is not ready for the full International team yet.

I think this is often our problem. A couple of good games and you are fast-tracked into the Full Squad.

How many of the German World Cup team played together in the U21s side that battered us in the Final? I know it's not necessarily comparable to say this team did this, we should do the exact same, but still.

In your opinion... but I see a different Chambers than you and he would be as good a RB as England have right now.

So, you don't think moving to a bigger club maximises your chances of a call-up? Might even argue that if we had kept most of last season's squad together along with the media perception of the club -right or wrong- as one on the up, Clyne would have stood a better chance of a call-up.

In your opinion... but I see a different Chambers than you and he would be as good a RB as England have right now.

Better than Clyne? Hmmm not sure. Better than Johnson, could well be but nowhere near the experience. The trouble is, as has just been said, that we panic when things arent going well and look for the next big hope (Wilshire for example). Chambers needs to be nurtured and developed. Playing International football is a big step up from playing League football and he is still very inexperienced. The whole point of the Under 19s and Under 21s is to develop players. Just throwing them in at the deep end isnt ideal. I hope for his sake that he does go on to have a decent career but he wasnt even a mid table team's first choice last season.

So, you don't think moving to a bigger club maximises your chances of a call-up? Might even argue that if we had kept most of last season's squad together along with the media perception of the club -right or wrong- as one on the up, Clyne would have stood a better chance of a call-up.

We were not a big club last season but it didnt stop the England manager watching many of our games or selecting three of our players for full international duty and JWP for the Under 21s so why should it hinder Clyne's progress?

We were not a big club last season but it didnt stop the England manager watching many of our games or selecting three of our players for full international duty and JWP for the Under 21s so why should it hinder Clyne's progress?

how come, as a player older than chambers, JWP has not been called up?

would chambers have been called up had he been playing for saints today?

in your opinion

if chambers had stayed, do you think he would have been called up today?

I really dont know. What I do know is that his performances at CH for Arsenal have been criticised by people who play the game. I also know that playing for Southampton didnt stop Lallana, Lambert and JRod getting called up.

No Delldays, not in my opinion. In the opinion of the Engalnd manager who called up three Southampton players last season.

they had to play well for a couple of years to get a call up.

why are you calling me Delldays? it's clearly batman. show some fuking respect

first you telling me I am losing it, and calling me a previous username

I remember when CB fry used to tell you that you had lost it in the burley days and you got quite precious and started going on about mental illness or something. please do not suggest i 'Have lost it'

cheers

You're missing the point - nobody has said that its impossible to get called up; rather they have a greater chance of a call-up with a bigger club, all other things being equal. And dare I say it, we're no longer the fashionable, aspiring club in the media's eyes that we were last season that may have an effect on a player's chances of a call-up at the margins.

I think potentially he may have been if he'd been playing CB for us this season. That versatility, coupled with mature performances he is putting in at such a young age is likely what is driving Hodgson to have close look at him. Happy for the lad, even if i'm staggered at whoever okayed the sale at our end.

I think potentially he may have been if he'd been playing CB for us this season. That versatility, coupled with mature performances he is putting in at such a young age is likely what is driving Hodgson to have close look at him. Happy for the lad, even if i'm staggered at whoever okayed the sale at our end.
We've had two league games this season, would that have made such a difference to any appraisal of Chambers ability compared to the end of last season? When he wasn't even deemed good enough for the under 21s? Once Arsenal are up to full strength, how many starts will Chambers be getting potentially?

We've had two league games this season, would that have made such a difference to any appraisal of Chambers ability compared to the end of last season? When he wasn't even deemed good enough for the under 21s? Once Arsenal are up to full strength, how many starts will Chambers be getting potentially?

Arsenal's extra games(champ league and charity shield) have been a help i'm sure but 2/3 impressive centre back displays for Saints would have interested Hodgson considering how weak England are at centre back. I'm sure they were well aware as us about Chambers performances last season, just the fact there were a number of right backs(Walker, Johnson, Flanaghan, etc) meant he was down pecking order. Don't think fact they left him as Captain of U19 rather than promoting to U21 means anything.

If Arsenal get up to full strength he may have less starts, who can tell what will happen performance and injury wise.

they had to play well for a couple of years to get a call up.

why are you calling me Delldays? it's clearly batman. show some fuking respect

first you telling me I am losing it, and calling me a previous username

I remember when CB fry used to tell you that you had lost it in the burley days and you got quite precious and started going on about mental illness or something. please do not suggest i 'Have lost it'

cheers

I am calling you Delldays because that is who you are. I am not sure why you have become Batman but the change of name hasnt changed your posting style sadly.

Did JRod pay well for a couple of years before his call up? No. I am saying you have lost it because, very clearly, you can get called up to the full senior sqaud if you play for Southampton. You can also get called up for the full senior squad if you play for Aston Villa (Delph) or Newcastle (Colback) neither team of whish are a top 6 club. You seem to have some kind of blinkered view about how these things work. Hodgson, for whatever reason, has decided, at the moment, that Clyne isnt good enough. I dont think that reason is because he plays for Southampton. If it was he wouldnt have selected Lallana, Lambert and JRod last season would he? It isnt hard mate.

JWP is nowhere near good enough for an International call-up.. hardly good enough to be in our team.

Chambers would have been called up irrespective... there is a severe lack of football nous on here... Chambers was a class act last season and his speed of thought and versatility makes him an obvious choice for the England squad.

Clyne is great going forward but is reactive rather than anticipative defensively, plus he lacks aerial ability.

You're missing the point - nobody has said that its impossible to get called up; rather they have a greater chance of a call-up with a bigger club, all other things being equal. And dare I say it, we're no longer the fashionable, aspiring club in the media's eyes that we were last season that may have an effect on a player's chances of a call-up at the margins.

If this was the case though surely Clyne would have had just a good a chance of getting called up last season when we were "fashionable" when three of his colleagues were called up? Fpr whatever reason Hodgson, at the moment, doesnt fancy Clyne. I really do not believe it has anything to do with playing for us. Chambers may well have been called up if he was still with us. Hodgson would have seen a lot of him last year (although of course not at CH).

I'm really confused by some of the reactions here. It's clear that Hodgson cannot win.

Last season we had Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez all in and around the England team - whilst they were Southampton players, it's the belief of a fair few that going on England duty pushed them away as they were tapped up, so understandably fans are totally against players getting a call up now in the fear that their heads will be turned.

So now we see Clyne not selected, people are getting all arsey about it and saying that ''he obviously needs to move to a big club to get games'' - But that's simply not the case, the reality of the situation is that Chambers was in the team ahead of Clyne a lot last year, and although Clyne has had a decentish start to the season, he has made some pretty bad positional errors - he's not perfect.

I'm really confused about the hatred towards Chambers, good young player who left for the bright lights of London - who wouldn't at that age? And would people please stop downplaying the ability of obvious quality players.

I think this is often our problem. A couple of good games and you are fast-tracked into the Full Squad.

How many of the German World Cup team played together in the U21s side that battered us in the Final? I know it's not necessarily comparable to say this team did this, we should do the exact same, but still.

Agreed.

I'm really confused by some of the reactions here. It's clear that Hodgson cannot win.

Last season we had Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez all in and around the England team - whilst they were Southampton players, it's the belief of a fair few that going on England duty pushed them away as they were tapped up, so understandably fans are totally against players getting a call up now in the fear that their heads will be turned.

So now we see Clyne not selected, people are getting all arsey about it and saying that ''he obviously needs to move to a big club to get games'' - But that's simply not the case, the reality of the situation is that Chambers was in the team ahead of Clyne a lot last year, and although Clyne has had a decentish start to the season, he has made some pretty bad positional errors - he's not perfect.

I'm really confused about the hatred towards Chambers, good young player who left for the bright lights of London - who wouldn't at that age? And would people please stop downplaying the ability of obvious quality players.

You do seem to find a lot of things confusing.

I dont have a problem wth his decision about moving to a bigger club but I do worry about why suddenly he is being seen as an England CH when he hasnt exactly been brilliant in his few games for Arsenal in that position. Of course Hodgson might see him as a RB or a utility player (I am sure he could do a job in midfield too).

Good luck to the bloke but I really dont think his call up is down to him now being an Arsenal player for 5 minutes.

Edited by sadoldgit
spelling

Except he wasn't good enough last season according to Woy.

Hodgson thought Johnson and Walker were his best options last season; no argument there, but now he has neither and Chambers is the obvious choice to come in. He can also play multiple positions.

You need to remember that MP preferred Chambers to Clyne last season in a lot of games.. he's better positionally and anticipates danger.

Clyne reacts to situations and was partly culpable for both Liverpool goals.

Except he wasn't good enough last season according to Woy.

He was heavily monitored, and if he was still with us now and had started the season with us I'm sure he'd be in the squad. And if we're honest, he's performing at a higher level in the Champions League now.

Not sure why people cannot just be happy about one of our quality academy players getting into the England squad. Accept we are a breeding group for the top clubs, and just take pride that we've developed them for the national side. The hatred of it all is quite odd.

I can't believe people are claiming Clyne needs to join another club to play for England. Last year we had 4 players play for England, including one who, at the time had played less than 50 league games. Clyne will get his chance if he keeps doing what he is doing. There wasn't much difference between the 2 last year and now Chambers has shown he can play well at centre back, which is an area England are not great in. Yes it's a friendly but i expect Roy wants to find his best team ready for possibly our trickiest Euro qualifier away to Switzerland. John Stones is in the squad as well, has played a couple of games for England, so is more likely to be above Clyne in the pecking order for the Swiss game so it makes sense to pick him. i would think there is more chance of Clyne being chosen for the squad that plays San Marino.

Not sure why people cannot just be happy about one of our quality academy players getting into the England squad. Accept we are a breeding group for the top clubs, and just take pride that we've developed them for the national side. The hatred of it all is quite odd.

If people are happy with us developing players and them f*cking off after a handful of appearances then I think it's a very sad.

He was heavily monitored, and if he was still with us now and had started the season with us I'm sure he'd be in the squad. And if we're honest, he's performing at a higher level in the Champions League now.

I'm happy for Chambers, though the news makes me unhappy as just further poking of the sore wound that was the idiocy of the sale.

I dont think it is a question about being happy about it. It is more about understanding the situation. We didnt have a problem in taking the young Lallana from Bournemouth. In a results driven business teams are always going to look to bring in the best they can and players are always going to look to play for the best club they can.

The simple fact is that Clyne has some work to do on his positioning, which is why Chambers was preferred for much of last season. Clyne is a good player but should sign a new contract and develop further under Koeman.

As for England, I lost interest after the summer. I leave following England for fans of clubs like Burton, Tranmere or Pompey. Don't know why people are so bothered, looked how Lallana's attitude deteriorated after being part of that set-up.

Bless you, sweet child.