Calum Chambers

Leicestersaint

I've long held the view that there is a wealth of untapped potential on this forum. The amount of tactical geniuses, coaches, scouts, man managers, not to mention finance and law experts and business greats. The only surprise is when recruiting for these positions the club don't simply read a few threads and invite the contributors to interviews.

I'm sure it was as simple as that.

My old boss, who is probably the most intelligent and insightful person I have ever met, once told me:

"We look for answers that affirm our view of the world. Simpletons think the world is simple, and thusly seek simple answers"

I'm often reminded of this when reading this forum.

I wrie this back in March... ''I would love to see Chambers move into the middle for a few games a the end of the year. You guys think that is the long term plan for him?''

Obviously Wenger saw the same thing. We all get the sales of al, dl and rl but most of us were miffed by Chambers. Why pay 14mil for rojo when we could of kept Chambers???

There is a lot of truth in this. Should the club take off their blinkers and start recruiting from swf, Turks would still be in Southampton overseeing office supplies at St Marys. I am prepared, should the call come, to oversee entertainment facilities at the ground. I sense a portsmouth-type buyout in the offing, who's with me?

Don't you pay any attention?

Turks would obviously be our globe trotting chief scout.

My old boss, who is probably the most intelligent and insightful person I have ever met, once told me:

"We look for answers that affirm our view of the world. Simpletons think the world is simple, and thusly seek simple answers"

He was obviously a very wise man. Of course the converse applies to complex people, and what ever happened to Occam's Rasor?

Simple things please simple minds,

Little trousers fit little behinds.

(From my childhood)

:lol:

When I read your posts, I'm reminded of small fishes and small ponds. At least, your good little liberal heart is in the right place.

Interesting - Did you see his contract

Did you? Interesting that you don't think we could have said no about Chambers but that you think we could about Schneiderlin. Double standards. It does seem strange that we could not have said no to Chambers unless there was a release clause in his contract. How many 18 year olds who have played approx 20 games since being promoted to the first team from the Academy have a release clause in their contract I wonder. Very few, if any I would speculate.

Did you? Interesting that you don't think we could have said no about Chambers but that you think we could about Schneiderlin. Double standards. It does seem strange that we could not have said no to Chambers unless there was a release clause in his contract. How many 18 year olds who have played approx 20 games since being promoted to the first team from the Academy have a release clause in their contract I wonder. Very few, if any I would speculate.

Very few players in the premiership have release clauses full-stop.

If there was a release clause in Schneiderlins contract he would be gone - There isn't and he hasn't ..... Hope that helps.

What people need to understand (And my apologies because that does sound condescending) is that the world and his wife have been watching Saints and their youth players for quite a long time. See Harrison Reed being linked to Manchester United before he played a senior game, See Arsene Wenger instructing four independent scouts to find him the best (At the time) English teenager and all four coming back with the same answer of Theo Walcott. Most if not every Club know who we have on our books and have watched them play many times. These guys know what they are looking for and know what they want and when a player ticks all the boxes they start planning.

Just because we didn't all see Chambers potential from day one, doesn't mean they didn't (My son played with Danny Ings in the rep squad for - I couldn't have called him as a professional footballed in a million years) and once they do, it all starts..... forget about rules and procedures - It's all ********.

So.... Chambers wouldn't have been a surprise to everybody, Just as in Luke Shaw wasn't - Luke could have walked away from a professional contract with Saints and bagged a massive signing on fee before he was 18 - He didn't and maybe as a thank you to Saints to ensure a transfer fee, but I would bare my arse on the town hall steps if he didn't include a sell out clause..... May be Chamber was the same, infact it is probable that he did.

This is the new age of football, the money in the game is at an all time high, as is the premium for young English talent. These lads aren't being counselled by their parents anymore - They have professionals covering every angle.

"Calum Chambers did not play there by coincidence - I have seen the qualities he has shown today. He had never played alongside Nacho Monreal before and he was outstanding." Wenger on Chambers! this is what rankles with me the most we have all seen those qualities!

"Calum Chambers did not play there by coincidence - I have seen the qualities he has shown today. He had never played alongside Nacho Monreal before and he was outstanding." Wenger on Chambers! this is what rankles with me the most we have all seen those qualities!

That's fine, why don't you do another protest like at yesterday's game then.

If there was a release clause in Schneiderlins contract he would be gone - There isn't and he hasn't ..... Hope that helps.

What people need to understand (And my apologies because that does sound condescending) is that the world and his wife have been watching Saints and their youth players for quite a long time. See Harrison Reed being linked to Manchester United before he played a senior game, See Arsene Wenger instructing four independent scouts to find him the best (At the time) English teenager and all four coming back with the same answer of Theo Walcott. Most if not every Club know who we have on our books and have watched them play many times. These guys know what they are looking for and know what they want and when a player ticks all the boxes they start planning.

Just because we didn't all see Chambers potential from day one, doesn't mean they didn't (My son played with Danny Ings in the rep squad for - I couldn't have called him as a professional footballed in a million years) and once they do, it all starts..... forget about rules and procedures - It's all ********.

So.... Chambers wouldn't have been a surprise to everybody, Just as in Luke Shaw wasn't - Luke could have walked away from a professional contract with Saints and bagged a massive signing on fee before he was 18 - He didn't and maybe as a thank you to Saints to ensure a transfer fee, but I would bare my arse on the town hall steps if he didn't include a sell out clause..... May be Chamber was the same, infact it is probable that he did.

This is the new age of football, the money in the game is at an all time high, as is the premium for young English talent. These lads aren't being counselled by their parents anymore - They have professionals covering every angle.

Spot on mate

I've long held the view that there is a wealth of untapped potential on this forum. The amount of tactical geniuses, coaches, scouts, man managers, not to mention finance and law experts and business greats. The only surprise is when recruiting for these positions the club don't simply read a few threads and invite the contributors to interviews.

Who needs a fan on the board when we have this kind of influence.

Next time the forum grumbles, the board will take note.

Mights, coulds, woulds :lol:

Your whole argument depends on the leap of faith that "this is the new age of football" with little or no evidence. Your reductio ad absurdum would imply that virtually every talented, savvy player would or should have one. Did Lovren have one too? Is that why he threatened to go on strike. Painfully tenuous is too much of a compliment.

Never mind that release clauses are virtually unheard of in the English game and the players who have them enjoyed infinitely more bargaining power than Chambers.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/charles-russell-sports-law-blog/2014/jan/20/rooney-cabaye-buy-out-contracts-premeier-league

Never mind that we would have probably heard about them if they existed.

Never mind that the club clearly and unanimously stated it's policy - that selling players was a choice, that keeping wantaway players would have been an insane risk, that Chambers was a 'present' from Koeman to the board.

Never mind it would have been in the club's interests to come out and say that it's hands were tied by the existence of release clauses.

Never mind that all the reports pointing to negotiations over price would have been a logical impossibility if a release clause existed.

It's a whole new age of football, innit.

Edited by shurlock

What people need to understand (And my apologies because that does sound condescending) is that the world and his wife have been watching Saints and their youth players for quite a long time...

It was interesting how easily David Pleat reeled off 4 or 5 of our current academy players on 5 Live earlier this week.

Mights, coulds, woulds :lol:

Your whole argument depends on the leap of faith that "this is the new age of football" with little or no evidence. Your reductio ad absurdum would imply that virtually every talented, savvy player would or should have one. Did Lovren have one too? Is that why he threatened to go on strike. Painfully tenuous is too much of a compliment.

Never mind that release clauses are virtually unheard of in the English game and the players who have them enjoyed infinitely more bargaining power than Chambers.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/charles-russell-sports-law-blog/2014/jan/20/rooney-cabaye-buy-out-contracts-premeier-league

Never mind that we would have probably heard about them if they existed.

Never mind that the club clearly and unanimously stated it's policy - that selling players was a choice, that keeping wantaway players would have been an insane risk, that Chambers was a 'present' from Koeman to the board.

Never mind it would have been in the club's interests to come out and say that it's hands were tied by the existence of release clauses.

Never mind that all the reports pointing to negotiations over price would have been a logical impossibility if a release clause existed.

It's a whole new age of football, innit.

Before I respond to all you points - Let me ask you as question - Do you think Luke Shaw had a sell out clause

Gemmel is the only one banging on about sell-on clauses.

The club would have told us if this was the case. Would have been easy to blame other people for these sales and take the heat off them

I'm not banging on about it you tool, just suggesting it might be the case.

Same question to you - Do you think Shaw had one

Before I respond to all you points - Let me ask you as question - Do you think Luke Shaw had a sell out clause

I don't know -a Beeb article vaguely mentioned that if Cortese left, Shaw could go; but it felt like a throwaway comment, typical Cortese bull**** and self-aggrandisement a la AC Milan variety. VFTT said that Shaw had spoken to Chelsea, arguing that was proof of a release clause; but even if true, such a statement is also perfectly consistent with there being no automatic release clause -perhaps we were happy/willing to sell Shaw; perhaps there was an informal understanding -as is suggested is the case with Morgan- that Shaw could go at the end of the season if an acceptable bid came in.

At the same time, it's odd that no media pointed to it -after all, they have dedicated reporters covering every minute detail of United's ongoings. Suggestions that we were able to negotiate on the fee is also inconsistent with a release clause. By definition, there is no room to hold out over the fee with such a clause. Either way, Shaw's situation is different from that of Chambers. And everything else I've said above stands.

Edited by shurlock

The Spurs offer for Schneiderlin was £10m (Krueger interview), does anybody in their right mind including Schneiderlin and his advisors think we would let him go for that. It was reported today that Spurs had given us until Monday to complete a deal or they would go elsewhere. So Southampton are saying he's not for sale and Spurs are handing out ultimatums. If they offered £30m it might open the door but acting like a pawn shop won't.

Yeah, a real shame. Remind me again about how much experience Nicola Cortese had in football before joinging us please (and Markus in owning a football club for that matter).

It is also worth pointing out that Markus inherited his fortune from his father. Of course, that doesn't make him a bad business person any more than it does his daughter.

Absolutely.. He is an immense talent. God knows what decision-making process the Board followed to result in selling him.

That would suggest there actually was a orderly 'decision making process' in the first place......The events over the last six months with this bunch of naive fools at the helm would suggest anything but.

Luckily it seems Ronald Koeman is at least starting fill some of leadership vacuum from Cortese's departure......Although would much rather have seen him take over as Director of football where he could have far more influence and control in the Board and a Bielsa type coach such as Jorge Sampaoli take over the first team coaching.

It is also worth pointing out that Markus inherited his fortune from his father. Of course, that doesn't make him a bad business person any more than it does his daughter.

Hmmm not sure that is correct - I think he made his own money too

Hmmm not sure that is correct - I think he made his own money too

Of course, he made his own money. But he started out with a huge inheritance from his own father. Not blowing the fortune on wine, women, and song is something of a talent, but it is a lot easier to become a billionaire if you start as a hundred millionaire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Liebherr

If we start holding our youngsters to their contracts and denying them moves to big clubs, the next batch are going to be more reluctant to sign pro contracts with us. If we start losing our youngsters to big clubs with the fee being decided by tribunals, we'll lose a hell of a lot of money.

There may not be official release clauses, but I'm damn sure there's an " understanding"even if there isn't anything official.

If any of the sold players had release clauses in their contracts, the board would be shouting it from the rooftops. It would be the easiest way to (correctly) diminish responsibility.

Correct. A copper bottomed "don't blame us" get-out. There were none.

Chambers seems, much more than the others, the managers call. I get the feeling Koeman saw the price for a 20 game player and just thought it for the best.

Not to say CC didn't want to go of course but I can't see Koeman wanting to waste energy trying to keep him like he is with Morgan.

Anyhoo, he's gone and we move on.

Henry Winter, who usually has sound opinions, said on Sunday Supplement that Chambers was the most odd sale we have made, for a club that promotes the benefits of its Academy as much as we do.

Said many people in football see him as England's long term no 1 centre back and that he is a great signing for Arsenal.

Correct. A copper bottomed "don't blame us" get-out. There were none.

Chambers seems, much more than the others, the managers call. I get the feeling Koeman saw the price for a 20 game player and just thought it for the best.

Not to say CC didn't want to go of course but I can't see Koeman wanting to waste energy trying to keep him like he is with Morgan.

Anyhoo, he's gone and we move on.

Chambers knew of Arsenal's interest and said he wanted to leave and didn't see his future at Saints.