PA system.

Bridge

I was in the Itchen stand on Saturday and thought the PA system was terrible. Every time the bald guy in the stay pressed shiny black suit would pipe up to say something, all I could hear was a load of irritating sound…didn’t understand a word of it.

Not sure him shouting down the microphone helps. Anyway I mention it to Mr Stay press as he was moving around, he just said yeah we know it’s bad. I wonder if it’s as bad in other parts of the stadium and that the club will do anything to improve to sound quality.

I raised this with the club 2 years ago and explained that if they moved the speakers back about 20 feet under the canopies, the sound would be "trapped" thereunder and thus be more audible. At the time they said that the screens were the priority and the sound system was not. I do not have a real problem with the guy on the pitch but it is when they interview the manager on a video that I cannot hear the speech.

Always been rubbish, I am amazed that as the club know its pants that they feel that they have to pay someone to muffle on, (............ be funny if when Steve Bennett gets home his Wife asks "good day at work love?" and he replies "Mmmmmm wrff rrryyyssshh hffft derrrrrr Saaaints".

You would hope that with our tie in with Veho that they could get something sorted out between them, seeing as so many folks seem to say good things about their little speakers.

Train stations used to have the echo / muffled problem and they sorted it out so Im sure SMS could do the same.

Lots of them still do, especially when trains are passing through, and they don't generally have the problem of 32000 people making noise all through their announcements. Plus the speakers at the station are about 10 times closer than those suspended from the roof of a stand, the information being given in very specific and they have boards to indicate the same information in case you can't hear them.

For me the only thing I want to hear over the PA are the scores, and the screen should be assisting with those too.

Lots of them still do, especially when trains are passing through, and they don't generally have the problem of 32000 people making noise all through their announcements. Plus the speakers at the station are about 10 times closer than those suspended from the roof of a stand, the information being given in very specific and they have boards to indicate the same information in case you can't hear them.

For me the only thing I want to hear over the PA are the scores, and the screen should be assisting with those too.

The fact that some stations are still bad doesnt change the fact that its technically fixable and some stations which were bad are now good. Its to do with hearing announcements from two or more speakers a long distance apart - the annoucement gets out of sync due to the relatively slow speed of sound. Echo then just makes that worse.

Actually how does Sargeant Major Park Warden manage to come across so clearly and crisply to annoy the whatsit out of us by telling us to stay off the pitch at the final whistle or even worse telling us 4 times that the Northam Car park will be closed to home supporters after the game??!!

The fact that some stations are still bad doesnt change the fact that its technically fixable and some stations which were bad are now good. Its to do with hearing announcements from two or more speakers a long distance apart - the annoucement gets out of sync due to the relatively slow speed of sound. Echo then just makes that worse.

Interesting, but the reason I can't hear anything at St Mary's is because the PA is quiet compared to the background noise, and the speakers are a long way from the crowd.

It's fine in the loo, where the speaker is very near, and the only background noise is some tar-lung hacking up in the cubicle.

Interesting, but the reason I can't hear anything at St Mary's is because the PA is quiet compared to the background noise, and the speakers are a long way from the crowd.

It's fine in the loo, where the speaker is very near, and the only background noise is some tar-lung hacking up in the cubicle.

The toilet is a good example - you only hear from one speaker and your brain is smart enough to filter out non verbal sounds. They ptrobably keep the volume down in the stadium to try to reduce the echo. The answer is to have loads (hundreds probably) of small low volume speakers so no-one is far from one and each isnt powerful enough to carry to far sides of the ground or to generate echo, avoiding the time delay muddying the sound.

Edited by buctootim

The toilet is a good example - you only hear from one speaker and your brain is smart enough to filter out non verbal sounds. They ptrobably keep the volume down in the stadium to try to reduce the echo. The answer is either to have loads (hundreds probably) of small low volume speakers so no-one is far from one and each isnt powerful enough to carry to far sides of the ground or to generate echo, avoiding the time delay muddying the sound.

That would help, but I thinka problem with the main speakers is that they start to distort badly when overdriven. This may not be noticeble for music but is bad for speech.

Stand Down Operation Stewards Pointlessly Standing At The Front?

And; "Would the dark blue Jaguar parked outside the entrance, registration blah blah blah, please move immediately".

Think that's about the only announcement I've ever heard.

Oh and "The players would appreciate it if you stayed in the stands and didn't run on the pitch at the end of the game", 1000 times seemed to be perfectly audible.

I noticed that they had extra speakers in front of the Kingsland stand on Saturday, were there extra ones in front of the Northam, if so it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

They've always done that, I believe. Didn't see any in front of the Northam, but then we spent some of half time discussing whether the Kingsland food carts were only for them because the concourse outlets were closed because they weren't planning to staff it or if they just had long queues anyway so they were additional, so it's not like I was exactly focused on it.

The bald bloke is useless, I've barely heard a word he said since he took over from the previous bloke. Now that is probably due in part to the PA system, but I understood a lot of what the previous guy said.

Whatever the current guy's name is, (Steve?) he needs to be taught annunciation and speed of speech.