Shane Long

doggface

Flogged our stars for excessive fee's, you'd say. So you can't expect us not to receive the same treatment.

And he's not dross, costing £12m doesn't mean he's dross. If he's not a dross signing at 800k, then he's not a dross signing at 12m. He's a good player who will add to this team. Fact.

did we?

shaw would be the only one I would imagine

It's clear that Koeman has identified the "type" of forward he wants to sign, someone with a burst of pace, busy, a pain in the arse for defenders. I assume there aren't any strikers of that type available or deemed suitable from the Eredivisie, the market that Koeman knows best, so he's looked domestically instead. The scouting system and analysts have presumably given him a list of players who have the attributes he is looking for, which is why we've been linked with Javier Hernandez for ages, and with it becoming clear that he has no interest in joining us, we've moved onto another option.

The price, when taken in isolation, is high, but when you think that Leicester paid £7m+ for Leonardo Ulloa, who looked a bit "meh" even in the Championship, Fulham paid £11m for an unfit Ross McCormack and Forest £5m for Assombolonga who hasn't scored a goal above League One in his career, in order to get PL experience it's going to cost north of £10m. Long only joined Hull in January for £7.5m, so from their perspective he's tied to a long contract and they don't really need to sell, which pushes the price up.

I've absolutely no problem with us paying a bit over the odds to get the right player for the system Koeman wants to play.

On the subject of Fraizer Campbell, he's very injury-prone. In his entire career (signed a pro contract at Man United in 2007), he has only started 68 Premier League games, scoring 13 goals.

Well said Steve

Good signing for us, busy and has a habit of scoring when needed (always dreaded him coming on against us), busy Player that will draw opposite played away and make space for our new foreign players to play, a good signing!

did we?

shaw would be the only one I would imagine

When you see Kroos going for £20m, then Lallana @ £25m was excessive. Mainly down to the sell on stuff, but it was excessive. Very talented player, but if you're basing fee's on ability then he's probably only a 10-15m player tops.

Shaw to Utd for £30m is insane, would love him back, but he's yet to show he's worth anywhere near £30m. Chambers at 16m was excessive, long-term potential there granted, but still excessive.

When you see Kroos going for £20m, then Lallana @ £25m was excessive. Mainly down to the sell on stuff, but it was excessive. Very talented player, but if you're basing fee's on ability then he's probably only a 10-15m player tops.

Shaw to Utd for £30m is insane, would love him back, but he's yet to show he's worth anywhere near £30m. Chambers at 16m was excessive, long-term potential there granted, but still excessive.

but we are talking domestic transfers

Kroos was in he final year of his contract and costing over £200k a week in wages

you never mentioned carroll ;)

How much resale value is there on the likes of pelle and long?

Who knows until they've actually played some proper games for us? Nobody thought there would be any resale value in Lambert and yet we sold him for at least 4 times what we paid for him when we were in the third division.

Resale value is given far too much consideration in the game these days, IMO, as it's pretty much the only thing that football clubs take a long-term view on, and yet it's utterly impossible to predict. We have a need for certain types of forward player, as identified by the manager, and we've gone out and signed players who fit those profiles in order for the team to succeed. Job done, in that regard.

For every player that loses value as they get older, there will be many more who gain value over the same period.

The big differance for me is osvaldo ramirez etc were exciting signings for simular money,the potential was there for them to come in and be something special,ok neither has worked out yet but with the fees came a lot of excitement.

Long on the other hand we know his level and its low end premiership level, hes not going to set the league alight and at the age of 27 hes not likely to improve much either.

Bit of a meh signing really.

2 words .........

Rickie

Lambert

People complaining that we are paying nearly 5m on top of his January price and the prices of players in general aren't taking into account the fact that we have a lot of money and clubs know this, and the new TV rights deal, which has put 25% on everyone's price this summer.

Will cut you a bit of slack because you are clearly out of your depth but:

(I) The fact we're paying over the top for players is partly our own making, for not lining up replacements when we let others go. Building up a war chest first is only going to signal to rival clubs we have money to burn,

(II) We desperately needed a striker in Jan as we knew Osvaldo was off, so we had ample opportunity to act if we wanted to. Of course, many pointed out at the time that £7.5m for Shane was excessive, reflecting January's inflated prices and Hull's own panic buying.

(III) The TV money came into force for the 2013/14 season, so it would have already been priced into transfers, if it had any effect at all. The additional 25% is made up guff.

My offer to help you with a new avatar/ID is still on the table. :smug:

Edited by shurlock

Out of all the players we Sold Chambers was the Bargain. A fullback who can adapt at centre back and perform well against City and Benfica in preseason... Hope we have a sell on clause for him.

at least he is a fairly pacey type of player who have good movement and puts in a 'shift' as they say

which is something different from pelle, who appears more of a target man

get rodriguez back firing and we will have a decent attack, looking at it

just hope koeman gets the performances out of rodriguez that MP managed to

Long will achieve more in his first 6 months than Osvaldo did here.

Osvaldo was the meh signing if anything.

Although osvaldo will probably have the more illustrious career though

Even with all his mental problems he still gets big clubs like roma juve and inter.i think he is a good striker it just didnt work out with us

(I) The fact we're paying over the top for players is partly our own making, for not lining up replacements when we let others go. Building up a war chest first is only going to signal to rival clubs we have money to burn,

(II) We desperately needed a striker in Jan as we knew Osvaldo was off, so we had ample opportunity to act if we wanted to. Of course, many pointed out at the time that £7.5m for Shane was excessive, reflecting January's inflated prices and Hull's own panic buying.

(III) The TV money came into force for the 2013/14 season, so it would have already been priced into transfers, if it had any effect at all. The additional 25% is made up guff.

Who pointed this out? Probably you and a handful of others. I thought it was a good signing and was proved right as they stayed up, with ease. It also kept squad fresh for the F.A cup and now they are in europe which brings in more money than what he cost them... Yeah really excessive when you take that into account.

Even with all his mental problems he still gets big clubs like roma juve and inter.i think he is a good striker it just didnt work out with us

His career is down the pan. He's just picked up by the big clubs as their 4th striker, quite a cheap loan, good cover on the bench. Job done.

I personally think he's ****.

I'd certainly prefer Wickham. Would seem much more akin to Jrod signing, where you spend on someone with potential to be top player, rather than vastly overspend on late twenties player who has consistently been average.

I must've missed that potential. He may become a PL quality player, but we don't have the time to wait. Nor is he ever going to play on the left-side of an attacking trio. Ultimately (and regardless of my opinion of Wickham), it's an inconsistent comparison for the reasons stated above.

Osvaldo is a good player who if he hadn't lost his head could have pushed us further up the table. Now whether he'll get sufficient opportunities at Inter i'd doubt.

I must've missed that potential. He may become a PL quality player, but we don't have the time to wait. Nor is he ever going to play on the left-side of an attacking trio. Ultimately (and regardless of my opinion of Wickham), it's an inconsistent comparison for the reasons stated above.

Sunderland paid a shedload for him when he was 18 because he was that highly rated. Was being heavily linked with Liverpool at the time. His development has been set back by hardly ever getting a game at Sunderland but he's still just 21. Last season scored 1 in 2 on loan in championshiop with sheff wed, then came back and scored goals when finally given a chance by Sunderland in prem. Long's no left winger either and distinctly average.

We have one of the best DMs in the league, let's not move him out of position. Whoever the CBs, they'll get a lot of help from Wanyama.

Personally I'd play Wanyama, Cork and Taider, with Davis and Tadic in front of them.

We'd probably lose, but I seriously doubt we'd get stuffed and could make life very difficult for Liverpool. I'm never usually in favour of going defensive in these games, but we don't have the attacking talent to go for these teams right now.

Long could be part of that, lot of pressing like last season. He and JRod in the team and it's a different story perhaps.

I'm not exactly salivating at the thought of Long, but not disheartened either.

I do think a front 3 of JRod, Long & Pelle could be an absolute nightmare to defend against though.

I think you're misunderstanding what his question was as the first two points are irrelevant to the initial question. He asked why the 12m, I said why, regardless of the first two points.

Don't forget the money is paid incrementally through the season, so the first time the clubs will see the full benefit of it (ie have the cash flow) to make larger purchases was this Summer, but of course I expect you took that into account.

Yet again, clueless, and just trying to trip me up as part of your weird obsession with following me round. As said previously, you obviously have a massive issue with me, so either you can put me on ignore, or we can meet up at West Brom and discuss it if you like?

He might be brilliant but it doesn't really inspire me it would have been good to have one exceptional signing this summer, someone who might encourage a few more fans down to SMS someone in the category of Bony/Lukaku etc. Unrealistic I know but still it would have given the place a bit of a lift.

What's better one Shane Long or twenty-four Billy Sharps?

Sunderland paid a shedload for him when he was 18 because he was that highly rated. Was being heavily linked with Liverpool at the time. His development has been set back by hardly ever getting a game at Sunderland but he's still just 21. Last season scored 1 in 2 on loan in championshiop with sheff wed, then came back and scored goals when finally given a chance by Sunderland in prem. Long's no left winger either and distinctly average.

They paid a shedload, yes, and now West Ham are bidding £4/5m for him. Yes, he scored a few goals, and then people were mentioning him as an outside possibility of making the England squad - people overreact. Left winger? Left winger?! Do you really have that a naive understanding of current formation trends? At any rate, Long is certainly better suited to this 'left wing' role you speak.

Edit: Reference 'left wing', I'm not of the opinion that you are naive, I just think you're choosing to be difficult :p

Edited by Donatello

And it's a good point on Osvaldo, we spent all bloody summer chasing a player who clearly never wanted to come here - it was obvious from all the media snippets we could see. Up to £15m squandered on a player who scored less goals than Shane Long did last season, and that was for 2 clubs.

Osvaldo was a name, and I think that's half the issue. Some fans just want us to sign names, they may not be any good, but his name is popular and pretty.

Not sure that is quite right, although I know what you mean... but IMHO its more about what it symbolizes. We all know the risks associated with exotic sounding players who may or may not want to come or adapt etc. But given we had been told that the club wanted to build towards a 50%+ of first team from the academy, supplemented by some externals signings, and that this was what we finally saw last season - (and it looked like there was so much potential still to be realised and seen this season...) only for 3 academy products to be sold off and replaced by solid if unspectacular names... it just shows how the direction and strategy has shifted. I think we have lost the momentum we had over those last 5 seasons, and the continuity that came with that set of players. Yes all these things do eventually come to an end, and a club of our size and reputation does need to be realistic about these things... but selling academy products at 19 and replacing them with late 20s 'journeymen' is just not a model I have any affinity with... no matter how, pragmatic it may be... its just...'bland' ... the sort of thing Villa, Stoke, etc have been doing for years - just stay up and keep taking the money, with no real desire to ever be anything more - and that is what is depressing. 'Uber fans' may baulk at anyone moaning about it - but it goes against the sporting ideal... and its crap.

He might be brilliant but it doesn't really inspire me it would have been good to have one exceptional signing this summer, someone who might encourage a few more fans down to SMS someone in the category of Bony/Lukaku etc. Unrealistic I know but still it would have given the place a bit of a lift.

Don't you think, if the club could have have bought Lukaku or Bony they would have?

Not sure that is quite right' date=' although I know what you mean... but IMHO its more about what it symbolizes. We all know the risks associated with exotic sounding players who may or may not want to come or adapt etc. But given we had been told that the club wanted to build towards a 50%+ of first team from the academy, supplemented by some externals signings, and that this was what we finally saw last season - (and it looked like there was so much potential still to be realised and seen this season...) only for 3 academy products to be sold off and replaced by solid if unspectacular names... it just shows how the direction and strategy has shifted. I think we have lost the momentum we had over those last 5 seasons, and the continuity that came with that set of players. Yes all these things do eventually come to an end, and a club of our size and reputation does need to be realistic about these things... but selling academy products at 19 and replacing them with late 20s 'journeymen' is just not a model I have any affinity with... no matter how, pragmatic it may be... its just...'bland' ... the sort of thing Villa, Stoke, etc have been doing for years - just stay up and keep taking the money, with no real desire to ever be anything more - and that is what is depressing. 'Uber fans' may baulk at anyone moaning about it - but it goes against the sporting ideal... and its crap.[/quote'] No, it doesn't show a change in strategy. If we have academy graduates deemed good enough for the first team, they will get game time - the club have mentioned time and time again how much they want to utlise our academy players.

at least he is a fairly pacey type of player who have good movement and puts in a 'shift' as they say

which is something different from pelle, who appears more of a target man

get rodriguez back firing and we will have a decent attack, looking at it

just hope koeman gets the performances out of rodriguez that MP managed to

Exactly...thats the whole picture to look at not just stats or some whingeing about the price just because they can think it won't be doing the same as what Pompey did! Yes 12m does seem high ...on one player who if he scores 2 goals that keeps us up will have paid for it - same as Jonathan Forte did really.

Mayuka, Gallagher, Sharpe are not going to do the business - Long just may help us with the right team shape and chip in with the odd goal or two.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Koeman is obviously a team man, to him the blend is all important. It has been obvious from day one that he picks his teams so that the players complement each other with their strengths and weaknesses. Long if he comes is such a player, he gives us the fast aggressive runner in the channels that we lacked. I bet Rodgers will be a lot more attentive if he signs in time as he is just the sort of player to massively upset their back four. As for the fee a snip compared with Lallana's grossly over valued £25m, nonetheless overpriced but that's what we have to pay to top off the team. It's not all about his goals, it's what he opens up for other goal scorers, Pelle, Tadic and Ramirez.

That would have upset the existing pay structure.

We can only play one of each player in the team that we put out so if you're asking me whether I prefer Long or Sharp then it has to be Long every time.

K,Billy or guan... any truth in the rumours that Long has rejected us?

Doubtful since K,Billy said he was due a medical today. I would assume that means all the financials and other agreements were in place.

Good to see Long and Ryan Bertrand linked up well at Reading. Wondering if Bertrand informed Koeman Long wanted a move back down south. If he was good enough for Roy at West Brom he'll do fine at Saints.

Edited by ART
Rectifying editing errors

Who pointed this out? Probably you and a handful of others. I thought it was a good signing and was proved right as they stayed up, with ease. It also kept squad fresh for the F.A cup and now they are in europe which brings in more money than what he cost them... Yeah really excessive when you take that into account.

Baggies fans I know for starters...

Of course, you're proving -rather than challenging- my point: Hull narrowly avoided relegation by 4 points, so there was nothing comfortable about their survival. They urgently needed firepower in Jan and were willing to pay what was needed to get the job done which proved a worthwhile investment. But why that should influence our valuation of the player is beyond me -suffice to say, that fee has now been passed onto us with a very tidy mark-up.

Ultimately, if you want to singlehandedly attribute Hull's success to Shane Long's 4 goals, fill your boots. Next thing you'll be claiming we should go in for Jelavic who also racked up a mighty four goals.

My view is Long will bring something -while his first touch is generally poor, he has movement and pace that we've been crying out in Jrod's absence- but it's not close to £12m of something.

Edited by shurlock

I'd certainly prefer Wickham. Would seem much more akin to Jrod signing, where you spend on someone with potential to be top player, rather than vastly overspend on late twenties player who has consistently been average.

Whilst I am not over the moon about Long, do be serious. Wickham has demonstrated no particular potential to be a top player. I am not sure how many of his 40 games for Sunderland have been in the top flight but he has only mustered 6 goals in total in those games. His overall figure of a goal every 5 games is inflated by a spell in League 1. Long in contrast has a proven record of a goal every 4 games at every level including the Prem. He is of an age 27 where he has not yet reached his peak and he will now be coming under the tutelage of a manager known for improving players in the middle years of their careers so his record may even improve. Wickham may himself become that sort of player in time; he might not but at the moment it is no contest.