Long given No 7 shirt

Saint Garrett

To be fair he's scored more premier league goals than the last bloke who wore it. He'll be fine!

They've actually scored 28 each - Lambert in 75 appearances, Long in 100. No idea how many substitute appearances that includes but I'm sure Long was on the bench more often than Lambert.

Long's scoring record looks a lot better when you put it like that actually, when you consider most of his sides have been pretty average.

Edited by DuncanRG

Probably end of our signings then?

Well, numbers 13, 14, and 15 are still unassigned, so we might still see one or two coming in to strengthen the squad further: back up CB and a wide attacking player would be one's hopes!

They've actually scored 28 each - Lambert in 75 appearances, Long in 100. No idea how many substitute appearances that includes but I'm sure Long was on the bench more often than Lambert.

Long's scoring record looks a lot better when you put it like that actually, when you consider most of his sides have been pretty average.

Am pretty sure in a un-researched way Long didn't take pen's.

Do players really care about this sort of stuff? I'm sure most couldn't give a toss about who wore the number they wear before they were even at the club.

I'm sure it means something at the top clubs, where you're putting on the shirt that one of the true greats wore. I expect some Saints players - including Lambert - can feel the significance of the number 7 shirt since Le Tiss but other numbers won't matter besides their indication of your rank in the squad

I'm sure it means something at the top clubs, where you're putting on the shirt that one of the true greats wore.

Perhaps a Man United or Liverpool signing might be proud to wear the shirt of best or Dalglish. I can't image many players will buckle under the pressure of wearing the same number as Kevin Phillips.

I just hope Koeman grabs hold of him and gets him to show a bit of footballing integrity. I hated seeing him flopping around against us. Honesty and goals will help me like him more but I'm not all that happy about this one, even less so about the squad number.

Hmmmmm......

Has a lot to live up to, then...

I know it ended in tears but, Wasn't Super Kev #7? Seeing as Pelle is the new Quinn, seems the right shirt to give him!

Wonder if Long or Koeman realise how much the 7 shirts means to fans? Obviously Krueger wouldn't have a clue.

Ah I see - no pressure from me but the shirt does hold a certain attachment to it does it not?

Yes, for the fans, not the players. Which was my point. Is a saints player really going to feel pressure because Rickie lambert wore the same number as him?

Yes, for the fans, not the players. Which was my point. Is a saints player really going to feel pressure because Rickie lambert wore the same number as him?

Probably not. It's just another number to them - pity really as it's not just SRL it's MLT as well. Mind you I personally think SL will do very well for us - not in so far as the previous did but well all the same.