The weekend riding thread.

View From The Top

Chains. GT85 as a degreaser. Leave for 3/5mins. Elbow grease (£1 from B&M) leave for 1/2 mins. Hot water with standard car shampoo (£1 from Poundland) and a sponge. Sponge it all off, wash with clean water and job done. Spotless in minutes. Dry and Muc Off Dry Lube

If it's really sh_itty then I'll use the chain cleaning machine. Mine gets done after every winter ride and every 2nd summer ride. If's it's just been a dusty ride then just the car shampoo will do but a ride like today which was along some ****ty lanes will result in the full treatment tomorrow.

I'm assuming since you've mentioned the chain cleaning machine that you do all that with the chain still on?

Yep. Never felt the need to remove it to clean it properly. I occasionally remove the cassette to give it a good deep clean but not often. Campag isn't as easy to mess around with as Shim/SRAM so it works a treat.

The only real issue is getting it dry quickly when the sun isn't out so it's either next to the radiator or done with the Mrs hair dryer. :D

I've also ordered some powerlock chain connectors to fit on the chain. Already have them on the winter bike which means taking the whole chain off is a piece of cake. Like you, I'm also a bit of a saddo when it comes to the chain and like to take it off every now and then, cover it with degreaser then wash it in hot soapy water. Trick is to get it dried quickly, put it back on the bike and re-lube it before any rust can start to form!

That's OK for a quick job, but to do it thoroughly;

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

;)

One of the lads in my club, a 2nd Cat racer, has purchased a 2nd hand sonic bath. Bloody hell, you should see it shifting the crap. He also uses a special ceramic coating developed my a local ex-pro. He reckons he can tell the difference.

As an aside, one of the local lads who rides with us is a triple British track champion from this year, by the name of Dan Bingham, and rides for the Brother NRG team, his brother is a 2nd Cat (1st at the end of this year I reckon) racer for our club. The NRG rider and one of his team mates did our chain gang this week, the A group.

6 finished, 20 started, the 2 NRG chaps, the 2 2nd Cat from our club and the 2 2nd Cat from another strong local club. Everyone else shelled. It was carnage.

I love having fresh new tyres on the bike but HATE putting them on! Took about an hour - and a couple of layers of skin off my thumbs - yesterday to fit them on the new wheels and that was after leaving them in the sun for a while to heat them up! I even tried the fairy liquid tip that someone was recommending on the innernetz but that just made the tyres slippery!

Then I took the cassette off and gave it a good clean - bucket of hot soapy water and a brush I find the most effective combined with some good old elbow grease - before taking the chain off and cleaning that as well. Three hours in total and I've only changed the wheels on one bike :(

Took it out this morning and it felt very smooth. Would have enjoyed the ride if it wasn't for the wind!

Any recommendations for some decent bib shorts?

I've previously only had 'cheapie' shorts that have served me reasonably well - Muddyfox from Sports Direct and Tenn from Amazon - which are fine for shorter rides up to about 30 miles but I'm planning on some longer rides this year. Probably won't be doing centuries every week like certain nutters on here but aiming for 60-75 miles on Saturdays so looking for something that will be comfortable.

I ordered some Caratti Bib Shorts the other week : http://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/caratti-sport-bib-short which cost £40 plus postage. They are immensely comfortable in terms of the fit, no rubbing and therefore no 'sores' after the ride, however, the padding is pretty thin so after about 30 miles they do become quite painful.

So, any recommendations? In terms of price, I'm happy to cough up a 'sensible' amount of cash - can't really justify £120 on a pair of shorts unless their performance is guaranteed! - but also not keen to go for more 'cheapies' as the fit isn't great and the material tends to be pretty thin.

Any recommendations for some decent bib shorts?

I've previously only had 'cheapie' shorts that have served me reasonably well - Muddyfox from Sports Direct and Tenn from Amazon - which are fine for shorter rides up to about 30 miles but I'm planning on some longer rides this year. Probably won't be doing centuries every week like certain nutters on here but aiming for 60-75 miles on Saturdays so looking for something that will be comfortable.

I ordered some Caratti Bib Shorts the other week : http://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/caratti-sport-bib-short which cost £40 plus postage. They are immensely comfortable in terms of the fit, no rubbing and therefore no 'sores' after the ride, however, the padding is pretty thin so after about 30 miles they do become quite painful.

So, any recommendations? In terms of price, I'm happy to cough up a 'sensible' amount of cash - can't really justify £120 on a pair of shorts unless their performance is guaranteed! - but also not keen to go for more 'cheapies' as the fit isn't great and the material tends to be pretty thin.

Sportful Total Comfort. Around £90 from BikeInn, £120 on Wiggle.

DHB ASV range are very good and Cycle Surgery have a good deal on Castelli at the moment.

The Sportful are the most comfortable I've used and that's on long rides.

I was going to ask if you guys have used a wax lube in the winter. However, after today's ride, pretty sure I've answered my own question! The winter bike is not ready as I still need to change the rear wheel so I took the summer bike with it's fresh coat of wax on the chain.

Sadly, although it wasn't raining when I left, the roads were so wet all the wax washed off in the first ten miles! The chain then got progressively more squeaky as the ride went on with me arriving home like the local chav on one of those mountain bikes with a fully rusty chain! Two hours to strip the bike, clean it off, re-lube everything and put it all back together. Another hour spent with the bike hooked up to the laptop to do some fine adjustments on the Di2! Still haven't done the rear wheel on the winter bike so I'm hoping the rain stays away overnight!

I was going to ask if you guys have used a wax lube in the winter. However, after today's ride, pretty sure I've answered my own question! The winter bike is not ready as I still need to change the rear wheel so I took the summer bike with it's fresh coat of wax on the chain.

Sadly, although it wasn't raining when I left, the roads were so wet all the wax washed off in the first ten miles! The chain then got progressively more squeaky as the ride went on with me arriving home like the local chav on one of those mountain bikes with a fully rusty chain! Two hours to strip the bike, clean it off, re-lube everything and put it all back together. Another hour spent with the bike hooked up to the laptop to do some fine adjustments on the Di2! Still haven't done the rear wheel on the winter bike so I'm hoping the rain stays away overnight!

I had excellent wet lube on my summer bike yesterday and even then that was all off after around 150km. Chain is bone dry and covered in Shropshire. Mammoth cleaning job about to commence.

Anyone know if you can buy replacement bolts for the pedals - the two bolts that attach the left / non-drive side pedal to the crankshaft. With my obsession for cleaning and greasing I like to take the crank shaft out of the bottom bracket bearing and then re-lube the inside of the bearing. However, to do so you need to undo the bolts on the pedal - from memory I think they are 5mm hex bolts - and those things seem to be made of wax and are quite prone to being chewed up!

I asked at my LBS and they didn't think you could get replacements, anyone know any different and if so, where from? Pedals are Shimano - Tiagra and Ultegra - but I think they use the same bolt...

I always have a cap or bandanna on, all year round. It would feel weird riding without one of them on.

Keep losing the bandanas and buffs so have a lightweight cheapo summer skully. The pink patches were more a product of a few years back when i didn't know of such things. It also can provide protection from that moment when a wasp gets in your helmet, if you'll excuse the expression. Had that happen on a sportive a few years back on a steep and rapid descent.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough ride today!

I normally check all wheels are running smooth, tyres etc before every ride but I stripped the bike down on Monday, re-lubed everything and put it back together. Somehow, the rear caliper had been moved and the block on one side was wedged 'on'. I did a few hills early on so didn't really notice, plus my GPS screen was only showing average speed not current speed... It was only when going downhill [brockley coombe] that it felt a little strange as I switched the GPS to current speed as it didn't seem too fast. With pedalling I was hitting about 25mph and should have been doing 30+ freewheeling.

After 2000ft of climbing I just assumed that my legs were knackered but still couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit more than 72-73rpm on the flat! Eventually I got off the bike and checked the wheels to find the brake block, but it took me about 30 miles before I did that!

Good workout though! As well as the hills I did, my estimate is that the brake block was like adding +1-2% slope on to the 30 miles - no wonder I was dripping with sweat this morning!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally cracked today. After two years of pain, I went to see the doc about my knees! I can just about manage the pain - through the use of copious amounts of 'deep-heat' - whilst out on a ride, but that wears off after about two hours. After the ride is even worse and somedays I can barely walk after riding.

The doc is booking me in for an X-ray, but his cunning plan is to stop doing exercise!! His logic was that if I don't do any exercise then my knees won't hurt! Talk about lazy doctoring! I suspect I shall spend the next six months being shunted from one doctor to another before one of them finally decides to try some treatment. The doc also seems to be missing the fact that I have recently had two enforced breaks from any sort of exercise - one when my hand was operated on and the other when I broke my arm - and both times my knees didn't magically cure themselves during the time off!

I finally cracked today. After two years of pain, I went to see the doc about my knees! I can just about manage the pain - through the use of copious amounts of 'deep-heat' - whilst out on a ride, but that wears off after about two hours. After the ride is even worse and somedays I can barely walk after riding.

The doc is booking me in for an X-ray, but his cunning plan is to stop doing exercise!! His logic was that if I don't do any exercise then my knees won't hurt! Talk about lazy doctoring! I suspect I shall spend the next six months being shunted from one doctor to another before one of them finally decides to try some treatment. The doc also seems to be missing the fact that I have recently had two enforced breaks from any sort of exercise - one when my hand was operated on and the other when I broke my arm - and both times my knees didn't magically cure themselves during the time off!

That's always their answer. In the past I was told to go on gentle walks with the dog 'after all you're nearly sixty so what do you expect?' My most recent GP is a cyclist, he gets it! Good luck WSS.

Nice pics!

No, definitely not the cleat position as the knees ache when on the rowing machine in the gym, when walking and even sat on the sofa! Plus my mother has now had both knees replaced due to arthritis. Her mother suffered with arthritic knees as well. My money's on the arthritis being the issue but have to go through the whole process of xrays and scans first.

1st 300km ride. 11 hours, almost to the second, moving time.

Boom.

Mental!!

Tomorrow will be the two year anniversary of my first ride! I remember it well! It was a huge 6 mile ride where I think I averaged about 11mph! My legs were like blocks of ice once I finished and I was dripping with sweat.

Somewhere in the region of 3 stone lighter, I've now clocked up just short of 8,000 miles! Spent enough money to keep a small country running for a couple of years but loved every minute of it - except when I broke my arm and had to ride seven miles home one handed!

Here's to the next couple of years - not sure I'll ever be mad enough to take on a 300km ride though!

• 2 weeks later...

Some advice please :D

The winter bike is getting an upgrade in the next couple of weeks and I need some advice on groupsets...

Currently the bike has a complete Shimano Tiagro set on it - it's crap, except the front derailleur which is OK! The brake springs have gone and nothing I can do will fix it! The brake levers are terrible and the adjustment on the calipers is non-existent!

The summer / best bike is equipped with Shimano Ultegra - but has the Di2 system. I do like the Ultegra brake levers as they are ultra comfy and the calipers have superb adjustment.

For the last couple of months I've had it in my mind that I will just go for an Ultegra groupset - manual rather than Di2 - on the winter bike which will cost about £500. My LBS will do all the cabling for about £40 and I've no problem fitting all the hardware.

However, today I've noticed on Ribble that they are selling a Sram Rival 22 groupset with the right size chainset and cassette that I want for £333!

So, is the Sram Rival 22 any good - any other recommendations for groupsets [budget is around £500] - Must have 30/54 chainset and 11-28 cassette with 172.5 pedals...

Finally, any recommendations for winter tyres - the Vredesteins that it had on it have been shredded in just one winter so looking for something to replace them - figured they may be cheaper to buy in the summer ;)

Some advice please :D

The winter bike is getting an upgrade in the next couple of weeks and I need some advice on groupsets...

Currently the bike has a complete Shimano Tiagro set on it - it's crap, except the front derailleur which is OK! The brake springs have gone and nothing I can do will fix it! The brake levers are terrible and the adjustment on the calipers is non-existent!

The summer / best bike is equipped with Shimano Ultegra - but has the Di2 system. I do like the Ultegra brake levers as they are ultra comfy and the calipers have superb adjustment.

For the last couple of months I've had it in my mind that I will just go for an Ultegra groupset - manual rather than Di2 - on the winter bike which will cost about £500. My LBS will do all the cabling for about £40 and I've no problem fitting all the hardware.

However, today I've noticed on Ribble that they are selling a Sram Rival 22 groupset with the right size chainset and cassette that I want for £333!

So, is the Sram Rival 22 any good - any other recommendations for groupsets [budget is around £500] - Must have 30/54 chainset and 11-28 cassette with 172.5 pedals...

Finally, any recommendations for winter tyres - the Vredesteins that it had on it have been shredded in just one winter so looking for something to replace them - figured they may be cheaper to buy in the summer ;)

Can't help with groupsets I'm afraid as I ride Campag bikes but I ride with people who have Ultegra and Sram and they would say they are much of a muchness. Got to say, £500 to upgrade a winter bike seems quite a lot though. Why not just 105?

As for winter tyres, it's all about personal preferences. I prefer Michelin and use the Endurance version. I still tend to ride biggish miles through the winter and think they're great but I have friends who use GP4000II all year round with no problems and others who religiously stick to open pave tyres from October through to March.

Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to 2 now!

I've discounted the Ultegra groupset - I think I've been spoilt by the Di2 system! - but still want something that will be reliable, which the Tiagra set I've currently got isn't! I prefer to go out on the bike in the winter rather than sit in the garage on the turbo and don't mind the rain or the cold, but I want to know the kit underneath me is going to be reliable! Shifting on the Tiagra set is very hit and miss, you can hit a hill change gear and get a fistful of clicking from the back, 10-15 seconds later it might change a cog or two by which time momentum has been lost! No amount of tinkering with the cables etc has fixed this!

So, it will be either 105 or Rival but it may come down which one has the best brakes!

Never ridden SRAM but have old 9 spd Tiagra on my Cube, A Campag 10 spd mix of mainly Centaur, with Veloce chainrings (Centaur not produced anymore) and Super Record on my Ridley and Di2 Ultegra on the R3. Never had problems with any of them which weren't of my own making eg forgetting to charge the Di2 for example. Like Vfft said for a winter bike if it were me I'd plump for 105. Tyres wise I ride Conti GP4000S 11s all year round.

• 2 weeks later...

Was an awesome ride though!

Hope you enjoyed coming down through Cheddar - imagine what it's like to do once you know the road! Sadly, I've never done it as fast as I can as there is always the unknown threat of a bus or a coach round the next corner, would be awesome if they closed it for half a day.

Was an awesome ride though!

Hope you enjoyed coming down through Cheddar - imagine what it's like to do once you know the road! Sadly, I've never done it as fast as I can as there is always the unknown threat of a bus or a coach round the next corner, would be awesome if they closed it for half a day.

The Gorge was good fun, quiet, hardly any traffic so we just threw the bikes about. One of the advantages of living where I do is that you get used to going up and down.

The Mendips were disappointing, expecting them to he harder although Jack and Jill hill was steep. Very pretty though.

• 4 weeks later...
Never even been anywhere near. Got on leaderboard on short climb a few years ago. Not even top 50 now even though faster.

On my last ride I went up a climb that has previously been categorised in the Tour of Britain, got home and posted on Strava. When I checked my segment time I found that I had taken exactly twice as long as the quickest up it - Ian Bibby.

On my last ride I went up a climb that has previously been categorised in the Tour of Britain, got home and posted on Strava. When I checked my segment time I found that I had taken exactly twice as long as the quickest up it - Ian Bibby.

Ha ha! It took me 105 minutes to go up The Alpe a couple of weeks back at 7kmph. I couldn't spin my 34-32 it was just a grind. These pros are amazing.

And on the fourth day, I climbed Alpe d'Huez!! Pros make it look easy. It's an absolute cnt. The approach from the roundabout is downhill and quick, but reach the depart sign near the left hander and you're fishing for gears. Big ring quickly becomes small ring and rapidly it's as far down the block as you can get it. Thing is with Alpe d'Huez everyone that's ever watched the TdF knows it. Seen a doped LA and JU duke it out and how the fck did Pantani get up there so quickly. The gradients at the bottom are serious. Seeing an average of 11%+ on first three pitches. Any speed carried in just disappears in the blink of an eye. When you reach La Garde after six bends it does ease to around 8%, but the middle (easier) section still can rear up into double figures. When you round Dutch Corner the ski resort just appears, like almost vertically above you. Reach Huez village and there's still over a third of the climb still to go and it kicks up to double figures once more to reach the resort in the sky. The last few Km's are more of the same cntish stuff 13- 16% in places as once again you gain height quickly towards the finish. Rounding bend 1 the last double percentage ramp seems cruel, but nothing can stop you. Iconic? Yes! Enjoyable? In a strange way, yes! Fck you A d'H. Btch, btch. BTW it took me 105 mmins up and 20 mins to come down and on the last two drops I didn't see my Garmin go below 66kph.

I've about 35KOM and countless top 10s.

I'm a right Strava whore although I don't go segment hunting, it's more to do with when I'm doing intervals.

That said, now I'm so light I'm hoping to get some on some of the climbs around here.

There aare a few Strava times that I'm dubious of - there is a climb in Lancaster which has a KOM record posted of just under 48 mph !

Why is it that when you go out on a windy day that it's always headwind/crossheadwind/crosswind but never, never, a tailwind.

It ripped my legs off today and I only did 50miles!

The worst bit is that it's a headwind going out, but when you turn to go home so does the wind.

We have a lane nearby called Buttermilk Hill. It's such a benign name, romantic even. It's tucked away in heart of the countryside, a single track road, entirely enclosed by trees given the effect of being in a green tunnel.

It's a fookin bastard of a ramp which my memory had obviously blotted out as a form of self preservation. It's only 400-500m long but averages 17% and tops out at 23%. Not only is it really steep the surface is crap.

Why o why I did it again I have no idea.

It was followed by 15miles home into a roaring headwind. #ruined.