Just Back From The Game

Gemmel

Headlines;

1) Saints won't be relegated

2) Liverpool won't be challenging for jack sh!t

3) Clattenberg still doesn't like us

4) Yoshida is the weak link

Bit of a tough one to take. Happy to accept that we probably didn't do enough to win the game, but then neither did Liverpool. Their second goal was a once a season freak bit of awful defending, that you suspect with Yoshida there, will become once a game.

Not sure what to make of "Koemans" style. Its certainly not the high intensity pressing game of poch, but a more disciplined, pass and move, one touch affair and perhaps everything you think of "Dutch" football.

Plenty of positives from the game and hopefully some lessons learnt.

Pelle, just found out what it's like to play in the Premier league and will need to up his game accordingly. Tadic was as good as I thought he was the first time I saw him play and James Ward Prowse is about to make a name for himself this season. Clyne must be scratching, his head, his balls and any other part of his body, when he looks at Johnston and see's that he is Englands right back.

Wanyama was superb and Morgan put in a very decent shift, with only one questionable tackle (That I think he would have been made last season) but on the whole we looked pretty good. If there was one criticism, it would be the same as last season.... We didn't get enough shots off.

But having just read that sterling got man of the match - Ignore everything I have just posted - I obviously don't know anything about football.

sterling, man of the match seriously????????????????????????

Headlines;

Bit of a tough one to take. Happy to accept that we probably didn't do enough to win the game, but then neither did Liverpool. Their second goal was a once a season freak bit of awful defending, that you suspect with Yoshida there, will become once a game.

Not sure what to make of "Koemans" style. Its certainly not the high intensity pressing game of poch, but a more disciplined, pass and move, one touch affair and perhaps everything you think of "Dutch" football.

Pelle, just found out what it's like to play in the Premier league and will need to up his game accordingly. Tadic was as good as I thought he was the first time I saw him play and James Ward Prowse is about to make a name for himself this season. Clyne must be scratching, his head, his balls and any other part of his body, when he looks at Johnston and see's that he is Englands right back.

Wanyama was superb and Morgan put in a very decent shift, with only one questionable tackle (That I think he would have been made last season) but on the whole we looked pretty good. If there was one criticism, it would be the same as last season.... We didn't get enough shots off.

But having just read that sterling got man of the match - Ignore everything I have just posted - I obviously don't know anything about football.

Thanks for the report. I only managed some glimpses from a VERY dodgy stream (died just as Tadic played in Clyne :wave: ) so one question for you: the preseason looked like a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 with one deep midfielder yet I've seen reports that claim we played 4-2-3-1 today with Morgan and Vic playing deep. I'm not about to trawl through the match thread to find comments so maybe you can enlighten me a bit with your view from the stands?

Thanks!

Thanks for the report. I only managed some glimpses from a VERY dodgy stream (died just as Tadic played in Clyne :wave: ) so one question for you: the preseason looked like a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 with one deep midfielder yet I've seen reports that claim we played 4-2-3-1 today with Morgan and Vic playing deep. I'm not about to trawl through the match thread to find comments so maybe you can enlighten me a bit with your view from the stands?

Thanks!

Thanks for the write up. We're the home supporters as quiet as they sounded on TV?

What I liked most watching Koeman's tactics were, as you mentioned, the passing. There seemed to be loads more pace and not the sit-on-the-ball-possession-at-all-costs-wait-for-the-defense-to-get-in-position tactics of last year.

Thanks for the write up. We're the home supporters as quiet as they sounded on TV?

What I liked most watching Koeman's tactics were, as you mentioned, the passing. There seemed to be loads more pace and not the sit-on-the-ball-possession-at-all-costs-wait-for-the-defense-to-get-in-position tactics of last year.

Was going to include this in my post but didn't think they deserved the recognition. I have been to anfield over ten times, That includes two victories for us and two draws.

Each time I come away wondering why the Liverpool fans even bother. They are the worst fans I've ever seen (Can't say heard, because they don't ever sing). I can honestly say if St Mary's ever became like that, I would probably stop going. They give it the big one before kick off with the "walk on" and then nothing absolutely nothing. We'll need a proper Liverpool fan to explain why (I genuinely have no idea) but the place is a morgue.

Was going to include this in my post but didn't think they deserved the recognition. I have been to anfield over ten times, That includes two victories for us and two draws.

Each time I come away wondering why the Liverpool fans even bother. They are the worst fans I've ever seen (Can't say heard, because they don't ever sing). I can honestly say if St Mary's ever became like that, I would probably stop going. They give it the big one before kick off with the "walk on" and then nothing absolutely nothing. We'll need a proper Liverpool fan to explain why (I genuinely have no idea) but the place is a morgue.

Headlines;

I didn't think Yoshida was the weak link today, he had a decent enough game I thought.

Headlines;

I didn't think Yoshida was the weak link today, he had a decent enough game I thought.

On their RAWK forum they acknowledge how dire it is and blame 'day trippers' amongst other things.

On their RAWK forum they acknowledge how dire it is and blame 'day trippers' amongst other things.

Thanks for the write up Gemmel - just one point though, the second goal (nor the first for that matter) had bugger all to do with Yoshida - for the winner, Victor headed away poorly and Fonte failed to pick up Sturridge.

It was Yoshi's initial bad header that put us under undue pressure, but he was hardly the only culpable one. Wanyama's follow up clearing header was even worse, Davis and I think Morgan failed to challenge Sterling, Fonte ducked the assist and Clyne, probably unsurprisingly given that comedy of errors, failed to track Sturridge's run. Pretty good defending apart from that!

Thanks for the write up Gemmel - just one point though, the second goal (nor the first for that matter) had bugger all to do with Yoshida - for the winner, Victor headed away poorly and Fonte failed to pick up Sturridge.

It was Yoshi's initial bad header that put us under undue pressure, but he was hardly the only culpable one. Wanyama's follow up clearing header was even worse, Davis and I think Morgan failed to challenge Sterling, Fonte ducked the assist and Clyne, probably unsurprisingly given that comedy of errors, failed to track Sturridge's run. Pretty good defending apart from that!

Thanks!

To my inexpert eye, watching on TV in American, it looked like our formation could have been characterized as all of those at various times.

I also thought Yoshida did not have a particularly bad game. Compared to the goals given up in other games this weekend, I thought ours were more due to multiple small mistakes rather than anyone's big mistake.

Edited by Redslo

Thanks!

To my inexpert eye, watching on TV in American, it looked like our formation could have been characterized as all of those at various times.

I also thought Yoshida did not have a particularly bad game. Compared to the goals given up in other games this weekend, I thought ours were more due to multiple small mistakes rather than anyone's big mistake.

Edited by Redslo

Agree I watched it live and both goals for the scouse were a combination of small mistakes. Also not over impressed with Pelle or Long but Tadic seem the real deal

Agree I watched it live and both goals for the scouse were a combination of small mistakes. Also not over impressed with Pelle or Long but Tadic seem the real deal

Stopped off at three service stations on the way up to break the journey and at each one (Toddington - Luton being the first) there were hundreds if not thousands of Liverpool fans. No racism meant - 90% of them were Indian Asian.

The atmosphere was poor, Tadic was unplayable, Wanyama was a beast.

And I still have a headache.

Stopped off at three service stations on the way up to break the journey and at each one (Toddington - Luton being the first) there were hundreds if not thousands of Liverpool fans. No racism meant - 90% of them were Indian Asian.

The atmosphere was poor, Tadic was unplayable, Wanyama was a beast.

And I still have a headache.

Yep, massive amounts of London based Indians support Man Utd and Liverpool with a few arsenal thrown into the mix. Glory hunters to a man but at least some of them go to games. Used to work with one who used to go to the neutral end at Fulham every year and that was it. The rest of the time he spent giving it the big 'un and putting stuff like #makeusdream on Facebook.

Yep, massive amounts of London based Indians support Man Utd and Liverpool with a few arsenal thrown into the mix. Glory hunters to a man but at least some of them go to games. Used to work with one who used to go to the neutral end at Fulham every year and that was it. The rest of the time he spent giving it the big 'un and putting stuff like #makeusdream on Facebook.

agree with you two guys on the other points, but I wouldn't want to judge anyone too quickly... based on a tough, debut game at Anfield.

....except that if Tadic plays half as well for the rest of the seaosn - he'll be classified as " the bargain of the season ".

agree with you two guys on the other points, but I wouldn't want to judge anyone too quickly... based on a tough, debut game at Anfield.

....except that if Tadic plays half as well for the rest of the seaosn - he'll be classified as " the bargain of the season ".

And the M6 is a nightmare on a Sunday evening!

M6 was going up was awful saturday afternoon, so went across from Stoke to Chester and via Birkenhead to get to Liverpool

Still worth it cracking night as always in Liverpool

Trains were worse though, mates who caught 4.30 back to London via Birmingham and Banbury had only reached Reading at 10Pm

And the M6 is a nightmare on a Sunday evening!

M6 was going up was awful saturday afternoon, so went across from Stoke to Chester and via Birkenhead to get to Liverpool

Still worth it cracking night as always in Liverpool

Trains were worse though, mates who caught 4.30 back to London via Birmingham and Banbury had only reached Reading at 10Pm

Stoke and the M6 was cack all weekend, closed at Stoke on the way up (still, after an 8am start got to see Burton, Derby, Leek and Congleton before arriving at 2pm to see Morecambe v Newport :o) and M6 was crawling from Warrington on the way back leading to an A34 route.

Liverpool's fans were absolutely awful. When one bloke on his own is the only person in the stand singing for more than 30 minutes they have some serious problems. Coincidentally, it was about a 50/50 Saints/Liverpool fan split at Warwick Services on the way back - and as for the losers who go out for a meal in Liverpool on Saturday night wearing their kit and tracksuits, Holy Jeebus, who do you think you're impressing?

Stoke and the M6 was cack all weekend, closed at Stoke on the way up (still, after an 8am start got to see Burton, Derby, Leek and Congleton before arriving at 2pm to see Morecambe v Newport :o) and M6 was crawling from Warrington on the way back leading to an A34 route.

Liverpool's fans were absolutely awful. When one bloke on his own is the only person in the stand singing for more than 30 minutes they have some serious problems. Coincidentally, it was about a 50/50 Saints/Liverpool fan split at Warwick Services on the way back - and as for the losers who go out for a meal in Liverpool on Saturday night wearing their kit and tracksuits, Holy Jeebus, who do you think you're impressing?

Am I the only one that thought Tadic's final ball was dreadful? In the first half at least. His seemed to lose the ball everytime he passed and his crosses were poor. He improved in the second half (as did everyone) and the assist was delightful, but I don't think he had a great game.

I was more impressed with Long than Pelle. Pelle seemed to be muscled out of it to me, Long wasn't. And his miss wasn't nearly as bad as was made out. Quinn was right, he was under a lot of pressure from Johnson.

Am I the only one that thought Tadic's final ball was dreadful? In the first half at least. His seemed to lose the ball everytime he passed and his crosses were poor. He improved in the second half (as did everyone) and the assist was delightful, but I don't think he had a great game.

I was more impressed with Long than Pelle. Pelle seemed to be muscled out of it to me, Long wasn't. And his miss wasn't nearly as bad as was made out. Quinn was right, he was under a lot of pressure from Johnson.