Just Back From The Game

Gemmel

Headlines;

1) Saints won't be relegated

2) Liverpool won't be challenging for jack sh!t

3) Clattenberg still doesn't like us

4) Yoshida is the weak link

Bit of a tough one to take. Happy to accept that we probably didn't do enough to win the game, but then neither did Liverpool. Their second goal was a once a season freak bit of awful defending, that you suspect with Yoshida there, will become once a game.

Not sure what to make of "Koemans" style. Its certainly not the high intensity pressing game of poch, but a more disciplined, pass and move, one touch affair and perhaps everything you think of "Dutch" football.

Plenty of positives from the game and hopefully some lessons learnt.

Pelle, just found out what it's like to play in the Premier league and will need to up his game accordingly. Tadic was as good as I thought he was the first time I saw him play and James Ward Prowse is about to make a name for himself this season. Clyne must be scratching, his head, his balls and any other part of his body, when he looks at Johnston and see's that he is Englands right back.

Wanyama was superb and Morgan put in a very decent shift, with only one questionable tackle (That I think he would have been made last season) but on the whole we looked pretty good. If there was one criticism, it would be the same as last season.... We didn't get enough shots off.

But having just read that sterling got man of the match - Ignore everything I have just posted - I obviously don't know anything about football.

sterling, man of the match seriously????????????????????????

Great post Gemmel, thank you.

Headlines;

1) Saints won't be relegated

2) Liverpool won't be challenging for jack sh!t

3) Clattenberg still doesn't like us

4) Yoshida is the weak link

Bit of a tough one to take. Happy to accept that we probably didn't do enough to win the game, but then neither did Liverpool. Their second goal was a once a season freak bit of awful defending, that you suspect with Yoshida there, will become once a game.

Not sure what to make of "Koemans" style. Its certainly not the high intensity pressing game of poch, but a more disciplined, pass and move, one touch affair and perhaps everything you think of "Dutch" football.

Plenty of positives from the game and hopefully some lessons learnt.

Pelle, just found out what it's like to play in the Premier league and will need to up his game accordingly. Tadic was as good as I thought he was the first time I saw him play and James Ward Prowse is about to make a name for himself this season. Clyne must be scratching, his head, his balls and any other part of his body, when he looks at Johnston and see's that he is Englands right back.

Wanyama was superb and Morgan put in a very decent shift, with only one questionable tackle (That I think he would have been made last season) but on the whole we looked pretty good. If there was one criticism, it would be the same as last season.... We didn't get enough shots off.

But having just read that sterling got man of the match - Ignore everything I have just posted - I obviously don't know anything about football.

sterling, man of the match seriously????????????????????????

Great post Gemmel, thank you.

Agree - was critical of him last week but thought he had a good game.

I think he was the weak link in the first half. The sense of nervousness and the lack of confidence he brings with him as well as his aimless hoofing clearances straight to the opposition need work.

Second half? Didn't think he did much wrong, wonder what Koeman said to him at HT?

I still think we need another CB, guaranteed PL quality. But I still think he's a player that we need for League Cups and cover.... certainly before Jos H, who I think we should sell on.

Agree - was critical of him last week but thought he had a good game.

I think he was the weak link in the first half. The sense of nervousness and the lack of confidence he brings with him as well as his aimless hoofing clearances straight to the opposition need work.

Second half? Didn't think he did much wrong, wonder what Koeman said to him at HT?

I still think we need another CB, guaranteed PL quality. But I still think he's a player that we need for League Cups and cover.... certainly before Jos H, who I think we should sell on.

Well plenty of discussion on the way back yesterday, (especially on the M6 between J22 and 18!), and generally agree with most of what has been said, great 1st game and plenty to be optimistic about. However, last season when we had loads of possession we did not shot enough, yesterday we were shooting whenever the chance was there, Morgan, JWP, even Victor were firing them in - we had more shots on target than the home team!

Pelle, well I would have to agree with some of the comments: 1st half he did not adapt well to the PL, very slow to move, wanted too much time which is simply not there in the PL. 2nd half he was much better, won more ball in the air and certainly upped his game. Needs a few more games before we judge him.

Wanyama, magnificent performance, was man of the match, closely followed by JWP.

JWP could really fulfil his potential this season - he really is a very bright prospect for Club and country.

Tadic: wonderful prospect. Looks every bit a superb replacement for AL.

Davis: worked tirelessly..... if only he could shot!

Morgan: took around 20 minutes to get going, but is simply a class player - could have scored twice as well!

Fonte looked exceptional and lead the team very well and by example.

Clyne, superb! How is that Skate ahead of him for England is beyond me.

Bertram: wonderful prospect and possibly better than Shaw defensively.

Yoshida: Didn't have a bad game, probably the best I have seen him play - think he will be good cover.

Forster: Looks huge in the goal! Couple of dodgy kicks, looks a good prospect but time will tell

Isgrove: Looked very lively when he came on will be very interesting to see him develop this season. Great prospect

Long: Thought he did well when he came on; quick, good movement and unlucky not to score.

Koeman: excellent team selection, good tactics. I thought we did press Liverpool, perhaps not so high up the pitch as last season, but we certainly did not allow them time to settle. 1st half we seemed to be happy to contain, and then we changed tactics after they scored and took the game to them. Much quicker going forward than last season and the team seem to have been instructed to shot when possible. Good, quick passing and movement, a little different to last season. Overall I thought Koeman got it right and showed that we do have a plan B. He is right we do need more depth in the squad and a winger with real pace and another center half would certainly give us that depth.

Well plenty of discussion on the way back yesterday, (especially on the M6 between J22 and 18!), and generally agree with most of what has been said, great 1st game and plenty to be optimistic about. However, last season when we had loads of possession we did not shot enough, yesterday we were shooting whenever the chance was there, Morgan, JWP, even Victor were firing them in - we had more shots on target than the home team!

Pelle, well I would have to agree with some of the comments: 1st half he did not adapt well to the PL, very slow to move, wanted too much time which is simply not there in the PL. 2nd half he was much better, won more ball in the air and certainly upped his game. Needs a few more games before we judge him.

Wanyama, magnificent performance, was man of the match, closely followed by JWP.

JWP could really fulfil his potential this season - he really is a very bright prospect for Club and country.

Morgan: took around 20 minutes to get going, but is simply a class player - could have scored twice as well!

Yoshida: Didn't have a bad game, probably the best I have seen him play - think he will be good cover.

Forster: Looks huge in the goal! Couple of dodgy kicks, looks a good prospect but time will tell

Isgrove: Looked very lively when he came on will be very interesting to see him develop this season. Great prospect

Long: Thought he did well when he came on; quick, good movement and unlucky not to score.

Koeman: excellent team selection, good tactics. I thought we did press Liverpool, perhaps not so high up the pitch as last season, but we certainly did not allow them time to settle. 1st half we seemed to be happy to contain, and then we changed tactics after they scored and took the game to them. Much quicker going forward than last season and the team seem to have been instructed to shot when possible. Good, quick passing and movement, a little different to last season. Overall I thought Koeman got it right and showed that we do have a plan B. He is right we do need more depth in the squad and a winger with real pace and another center half would certainly give us that depth.

Excellent summing up - we didn't press so high as last year, but IIRC in the game against Liverpool at St. Mary's we pressed high and left two against two with Suarez and Sturridge and paid the price; looked like we learned from that yesterday, it will be interesting to see how high we press against teams without the pace of Sturridge and Sterling. All in all a very encouraging performance and my work colleagues here in Manchester are very complimentary.

Excellent summing up - we didn't press so high as last year, but IIRC in the game against Liverpool at St. Mary's we pressed high and left two against two with Suarez and Sturridge and paid the price; looked like we learned from that yesterday, it will be interesting to see how high we press against teams without the pace of Sturridge and Sterling. All in all a very encouraging performance and my work colleagues here in Manchester are very complimentary.

Been to Anfield twice, and twice the atmosphere was really poor. At times, when we weren't singing, it was eerily quiet, as quiet as a minute silence. To the right of us were just tourists with cameras with no interest in trying to generate an atmosphere. I've seen videos of the Kop in the 1960s for example, and it actually saddens me a bit that it's not like that anymore. I guess that's the modern game for you.

Thought second half we played really well but it seemed to take a long time to really get going. It's like their goal was a bit of a wake up call from what I remember. We were definitely unlucky not to come away with at least a draw, and with the chances we created, we could and perhaps should have had all three.

I thought Wanyama was superb.

Liverpool were nothing special, but the way we played yesterday, I think we'll be alright this season.