Pitchfork Best of the Decade (so far, 2010-2014)

KelvinsRightGlove

Pitchfork have released their top 200 tracks and top 100 albums for the decade so far.

I know these lists are a bit silly, and of course hideously subjective. But, they do usually spark some good debate.

Top 20 Tracks

#1 Grimes - Oblivion

#2 Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Round & Round

#3 Kanye West - Runaway

#4 M83 - Midnight City

#5 Kendrick Lamar - B!tch, Don't Kill My Vibe

#6 Robyn - Dancing on My Own

#7 Azealia Banks - 212

#8 Frank Ocean - Pyramids

#9 Deerhunter - Helicopter

#10 Drake - Hold on We're Going Home

#11 Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards

#12 Beyoncé - Countdown

#13 Usher - Climax

#14 Sky Ferreira - Everything is Embarrassing

#15 Nikci Minaj - Super Bass

#16 Todd Terje - Inspector Norse

#17 LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean

#18 Kanye West - Monster

#19 Beach House - Zebra

#20 Daft Punk - Get Lucky

Top 20 Albums

#1 Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

#2 Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

#3 Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

#4 Frank Orange - Channel Orange

#5 Beach House - Teen Dream

#6 Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

#7 Tame Impala - Lonerism

#8 Kanye - Yeezus

#9 Sun Kil Moon - Benji

#10 Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

#11 LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

#12 Drake - Take Care

#13 Real Estate - Days

#14 Beyoncé - Beyoncé

#15 Grimes - Visions

#16 Destroyer Kaputt

#17 Swans - The Seer

#18 Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me

#19 Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

#20 Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Is it just me or does anyone else find music "Best of" list ridiculous. As if elements of music can be dissected, rated and put in order of merit. Let's face it the last time you agreed with any of it was when someone placed your personal favourite in the top 10...and then you're left wondering what they were thinking of when they place the other 9 s**t albums above your choice.:lol:

Is it just me or does anyone else find music "Best of" list ridiculous. As if elements of music can be dissected, rated and put in order of merit. Let's face it the last time you agreed with any of it was when someone placed your personal favourite in the top 10...and then you're left wondering what they were thinking of when they place the other 9 s**t albums above your choice.:lol:

Haha. I did say they are a bit silly. But they can be a good starting point for discussions on people's favourites during that period, or thoughts on the list produced. For example, there is FAR too much of that utter bell Kanye in the list for me. At worst, they're usually a good way to find some new stuff you haven't heard too.

Somewhere, in the deepest darkest corner of SaibtsWeb, Rory is ****ing himself and crying.

Sorry, who is Rory?

Pitchfork are so American-centric with their reviews that I treat a lot of their write -ups on good British bands with suspicion (though there are admittedly few great ones). Very much reflected in their top 20. But some great choices there, and I must say, despite their limitations, i'm a sucker for lists. Listened to them all apart from Fiona Apple album and can't really knock any of their picks. Destroyer, Deerhunter, and Beach House all big personal faves. Seriously though, no 'Let England Shake' by PJ or 'Smother' by Wild Beasts? Mental. All 5 of those mentioned were released in 2011, I believe, which was a fantastic year for album releases. This year, not so much, but the Sun Kill Moon album is a thing of haunting beauty if anyone hasn't given it a spin yet.

Edited by Toon Saint

Pitchfork are so American-centric with their reviews that I treat a lot of their write -ups on good British bands with suspicion (though there are admittedly few great ones). Very much reflected in their top 20. But some great choices there, and I must say, despite their limitations, i'm a sucker for lists. Listened to them all apart from Fiona Apple album and can't really knock any of their picks. Destroyer, Deerhunter, and Beach House all big personal faves. Seriously though, no 'Let England Shake' by PJ or 'Smother' by Wild Beasts? Mental. All 5 of those mentioned were released in 2011, I believe, which was a fantastic year for album releases. This year, not so much, but the Sun Kill Moon album is a thing of haunting beauty if anyone hasn't given it a spin yet.

I agree. But, as I said, despite the inherent flaws they can be a good jumping point for discussion.

I think I saw Let England Shake in there somewhere, it's just not Top 20 (criminal, in my opinion). as also surprised St Vincent - St Vincent didn't make the cut. Even if it is only a few months old, her best album yet for me. That said Strange Mercy is fairly high (about #30ish I think). Im biased though, I'm kinda stalker-crazy-obsessed with them.

Edit: Had a quick skip back through, PJ is #60.