Pelle

Aziz Yebda

Whilst he didn't look particularly impressive on Saturday , regardless of any stats, I thought the main problem was that he was so isolated from the midfield. I rate James Ward-Prowse, but he wasn't linking the midfield to Pelle as the lone striker in the way Lallana did to Lambert or whoever.

I wonder if Tadic might be better in that position if we are going to play that formation?

This can't be true, we've been told he's terrible.

I guess this means the helmets in the Northam are also winning the award for most ironic cheers in a game, which is ironic.

Unfortunately it wasn't just the Northam. I sit Kingsland block 30, and those on my right were doing ironic cheering as well.

Several comments on here have stated how poor he is in the air, and wins nothing. I'm confused now.
He has been poor and won very little for us. I'd like to see the definition of "winning an aerial dual", I can't think of too many occasions where he brought other members of the team into the game.

Assuming the stats are correct which, after all, are an art, not a science.

The high overall number of headers won + the low percentage of headers won/passes completed is perfectly reconcilable.

It just suggests we're hoofing it a lot more.

People need to leave off Pelle! Given time, good coaching and the right type of service and support he could easily develop into something approaching a mediocre Premier League striker. He could be the Carlton Cole or Jonathan Walters that we have been looking for. Let's not right him off too soon pls.

Assuming the stats are correct which, after all, are an art, not a science.

The high overall number of headers won + the low percentage of headers won/passes completed is perfectly reconcilable.

It just suggests we're hoofing it a lot more.

Should please those that disliked the passing, possession football. Least now we "GET IT FORWARD!!".

Perhaps that's because he's been isolated on his own with no one to find?

Quite possibly, I wans't responsible for the teams tactics so I don't know, I was just trying to highlight how a stat can be made to show anything.

FWIW I'm not getting on Pelles back, and I can't believe anyone with half a brain would do after two games in a new league. But then, listening to some of the helmets that populate our stands...:mcinnes:

Should please those that disliked the passing, possession football. Least now we "GET IT FORWARD!!".

Though the fact that we didn't "GET STUCK IN/BREAK HIS F**KING LEGS" aka our pressing game riled those around me in Block 3. There wasn't even a token wotsit to abuse.

WhoScored.com actually have him winning 16, as said more than anyone else. 16 out of 36 though puts things in perspective. Indicates we are lumping the ball to him with the expectation that he will headers because of his stature, but in fact he wins less than 1 in 2 and hence possession is lost. Look at Liverpool stats, Skrtel won almost every aerial duel (6/7), even Lovren won 6 out of 10, not bad for a ****. But to be fair to Pelle in both games once Long came on he did much better at winning headers. Question then is why he can win hardly any headers when Long is not on the pitch? Is it because we play different style, or more likely from what I have seen that he is then trying to win knock downs rather than directing header in terms of a pass or an attempt at goal. To me he has been poor so far, his atheticism and his body language are poor, and his pass completion rate backs this up (only Forster is worse for Saints). RK needs to play him in a different system than what he is doing in the first half of games. Seems odd to me that RK knows his game so well but fails to play to his strengths.

Fascinating insight from one of the media greats

But Mark Lawrenson, another former Liverpool defender, disagreed.

"For £16m, it's not too much money," he told Radio 5 live. "When you think that Shane Long went to Hull for £12m and Ross McCormack to Leeds for £11m, it's not a lot of money in comparison.

Direct from the BBC website with reference to Balotelli. Tut tut.

For £16m, would you guys rather have Balotelli or Long and Pelle?

What I did notice on Saturday was the amount of times Pelle had a midfielder running at him, ready for a 1-2 pass or a bit of passing around the box, only for Pelle to point out to the wing to get the ball played out there. Seems he likes the "get it down the line and whip it in to the box" approach. Not a fan myself as, invariably, the ball becomes 50/50 and is dealt with by a big defender. Im sure he'll come good, we bloody well need him to!

What I did notice on Saturday was the amount of times Pelle had a midfielder running at him, ready for a 1-2 pass or a bit of passing around the box, only for Pelle to point out to the wing to get the ball played out there. Seems he likes the "get it down the line and whip it in to the box" approach. Not a fan myself as, invariably, the ball becomes 50/50 and is dealt with by a big defender. Im sure he'll come good, we bloody well need him to!

Rather than a big centre forward? Pelle is 6ft4 (plus anything for the hair)

Fascinating insight from one of the media greats

But Mark Lawrenson, another former Liverpool defender, disagreed.

"For £16m, it's not too much money," he told Radio 5 live. "When you think that Shane Long went to Hull for £12m and Ross McCormack to Leeds for £11m, it's not a lot of money in comparison.

Direct from the BBC website with reference to Balotelli. Tut tut.

For £16m, would you guys rather have Balotelli or Long and Pelle?

Short term impact? Balotelli.

Most goals this season? Pelle. Watch him go! All he needs is a winger and a midfielder who comes forward to take the pressure off him. Welcome Classie everyone!!

he can also control it further than any other player in the league apparently. seriously ignoring any stats it seems we are alowed to judge tadic after 2 agames because he was skillful, had a great touch and seemed to be our most creative.

Pelle after 2 games appears unable to control a football, win balls with regularity in the air and doesnt have the mobility to work the channels. passing seems tad wayward too.

i will not ever boo any saints player whilst he plays for our club regardless of how poor he may be. However i reserve the right to make have an opinion of ability at any point (2 games or 102 ganes) and also the fluidity to change that view as player either improves or declines.

Perhaps but you might ask yourself why he was participating in 36 aerial duels of which he lost 20 apparently. Saints play on the deck don't they ?

Not when you have someone his size. Need to mix it up a bit. But I take your point. There's only one stat that matters for a striker. How many goals he scores.

can we say hand on heart hes had the required service so far?

I don't think he has. I can see why RK is after a winger to get forward and interact with him. But, personally, I think he needs a Kevin Phillips type striker to play alongside him. Long is someone to come on and chase a long ball on his own up front during a counter attack - at least most of his goals for WBA and Hull seem to indicate that. Shame Mayuka is not good enough.

He has been poor and won very little for us. I'd like to see the definition of "winning an aerial dual", I can't think of too many occasions where he brought other members of the team into the game.

The stats probably include the ones where the ball come off his neck or chested down to no one at all.

can we say hand on heart hes had the required service so far?

Well, he has received the ball far more times than anyone else in an aerial duel (36 times, couldn't see anyone else above 20 in the PL). That would suggest that he has had the service that RK wanted him to have.

Well, he has received the ball far more times than anyone else in an aerial duel (36 times, couldn't see anyone else above 20 in the PL). That would suggest that he has had the service that RK wanted him to have.

you might have a point there, tbf it will take most players who haven't played in the prem more than two days to adapt to the level and demands, time will tell............... could be another osvaldo (without the trouble hopefully) could be another j-rod a slow burner that will become good