Channon...Legend :-)

The Majestic Channon

Genuinely lovely chap - went to school with his daughter

And I went to school with his son Mike....he was the funniest lad I've ever know...we were in the same class for GCSE History and he used to have us in tears every lesson...used to drive our teacher up the wall....only met him once since we left school but was still painfully funny, last I heard he was commentating on northwest news Football reports...

" They got to get it up the p1tch to Gary Line Acre "

I'll never forget that Mick

Line Acre was one of the classics (for those of us old enough to remember it).

That was the WC of 1986 where he insisted that England's attacking options should be "Percy Vere with Pter Beardsley.." or so it sounded in his inimatable accent.

Whenever Mick was on the panel you could guarentee an honest and forthright opinion and answer , unlike the feeble "he'll be disappointed with that.." from the wooden Townsend etc now.

My boyhood hero

A shared position with Jim Steele for a while with me, but no doubting Mick was one of our greatest ever, not just as a player but as a personality also.

Having spent much of my early life in the west country it was good to hear his accent in those days as well.

And I went to school with his son Mike....he was the funniest lad I've ever know...we were in the same class for GCSE History and he used to have us in tears every lesson...used to drive our teacher up the wall....only met him once since we left school but was still painfully funny, last I heard he was commentating on northwest news Football reports...

He used to post on SFE. And yep was funny.

I'm sure he works for his father now, I see him at the races a lot.