Koeman - looking like an inspired hire

washsaint

From day 1, Koeman has impressed me with his forthright views and taking no nonsense. Loved his comments about "hating the long ball"!

His stance with Schneiderlin and Taider has been very refreshing and the right thing to do.

He also seems to have the knack of changing things up - Pochettino only had 1 way he would play and already we have seen more variety from Koeman and his subs have been very canny (like today). Whatever he says at half time seems to do the trick (at Millwall it was an awful 1st half display and superb 2nd half display).

All in all he could be a great manager for us and I truly believe he will turn out to be an inspired appointment. Really think we could be in for a season ast least as good as last year.

It should be remembered that the Feyernoord players gave him a right royal send off after his last game with them (when they knew he was off). His man management skills there seemed to be pretty good. Still too early to say whether he will be better than MP, but I like what I see so far. Not least because he is clean shaven, smiles and actually talks sense rather than some complete BS that so many managers speak.

Honestly can't think of anyone who would have been a better fit. Ticks pretty much all the boxes. Wouldn't have wanted a big name just for the hell of it, but having someone with his level of credibility was needed to reassure both the players and the fans. His philosophy on football runs close to ours too. We had a great season away from home last year, but I can't remember too many times we were as expansive as we were in the 2nd half today. Early days obviously, but a promising start.

He's a manager who is clearly competent. Not a guaranteed success but as good a bet as you can get. A Dutch Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes, Martin O'Neill type.

We're in solid hands - enough in the tank to steer through a safe, if not spectacular, season.

He's a manager who is clearly competent. Not a guaranteed success but as good a bet as you can get. A Dutch Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes, Martin O'Neill type.

We're in solid hands - enough in the tank to steer through a safe, if not spectacular, season.

Much better than Mark Hughes who doesn't have the man management that Koeman seems to have

Much better than Mark Hughes who doesn't have the man management that Koeman seems to have

There are stories of Koeman falling out with players, I could probably name a goalkeeper who doesn't like him a whole heap right now. And one player has fu ck ed off after a few weeks at the club.

And there are plenty of players who think Hughes is a great man manager.

You don't take two teams into the top seven, and two others to solid mid table by being a poor man manager.

All good so far but we shouldn't go nuts. First half today was average, first half against millwall was god awful. But second half today was genuinely exciting and gave cause for optimism. More than that though is that he seems a actual decent bloke and a proper saints manager.

There are stories of Koeman falling out with players, I could probably name a goalkeeper who doesn't like him a whole heap right now. And one player has fu ck ed off after a few weeks at the club.

And there are plenty of players who think Hughes is a great man manager.

You don't take two teams into the top seven, and two others to solid mid table by being a poor man manager.

There's a difference between a manager losing players because he has no idea what he is doing and being a ****, and one who knows what he is doing and said players not fitting his plans. You can't please all the people all of the time.

I just like him don't know what it is exactly he just comes across as a good guy. I like to think as he gets more time to work on the team we will see more performances like today and less like the West brom game. I think he has more than enough about him to get us safely to mid table and his desire to take the cups seriously will hopeful give us a good cup run.....Which will happily be enough for me.

There's a difference between a manager losing players because he has no idea what he is doing and being a ****, and one who knows what he is doing and said players not fitting his plans. You can't please all the people all of the time.

You win the prize for predictable Saintsweb response. Fine.

Koeman has never, ever been at fault in his dealings with any players, while Mark Hughes has taken four different clubs into the top ten, including a top 6 finish and three of the clubs comparable sized to Saints, by being a ***** with no idea what he is doing. But of course.

Well done.

Edited by CB Fry

You win the prize for predictable Saintsweb response. Fine.

Koeman has never, ever been at fault in his dealings with any players, while Mark Hughes has taken four different clubs into the top ten, including a top 6 finish and three of the clubs comparable sized to Saints, by being a ***** with no idea what he is doing. But of course.

Well done.

CB, I thought your posts seemed to be OK, but frankly, you just come across as a patronising knob.

Way too early for a thread like this. We were great second half today but I won't be pronouncing koeman a saviour just yet.

I'm just loving the delicious irony of you suggesting that it is way too early to make decisions about anything positive, when you are the knee-jerk king when it comes to anything negative.

For all the grief that has been levelled at the Board, for me it was apparent that they meant business when they hired this guy. He is the real deal. We may not win the Champions League under him but we have a safe pair of hands and a guy who isnt going to take any cr@p. The way he has dealt with Morgan and Boruc is spot on as it is with Taider. He hasnt been fazed by the goings on this summer and is straight forward and honest in his dealings with the press. I am not a lover of Twitter but his Tweats say what you want to hear from someone who wants the fans to know that he is on their wavelength. Yes, early doors but from what I have seen so far this is the best Saints signing for some time.

From day 1, Koeman has impressed me with his forthright views and taking no nonsense. Loved his comments about "hating the long ball"!

His stance with Schneiderlin and Taider has been very refreshing and the right thing to do.

He also seems to have the knack of changing things up - Pochettino only had 1 way he would play and already we have seen more variety from Koeman and his subs have been very canny (like today). Whatever he says at half time seems to do the trick (at Millwall it was an awful 1st half display and superb 2nd half display).

All in all he could be a great manager for us and I truly believe he will turn out to be an inspired appointment. Really think we could be in for a season ast least as good as last year.

Why post this now? Clearly still very early doors.

I'm just loving the delicious irony of you suggesting that it is way too early to make decisions about anything positive, when you are the knee-jerk king when it comes to anything negative.

:lol: spot on

However the fact that anyone responds to any of hypo or batmans posts are beyond me. Both complete wums and not even good ones

CB, I thought your posts seemed to be OK, but frankly, you just come across as a patronising knob.

Anyone who describes a manager with as fine a record as Mark Hughes as "a ***** who doesn't know what he's doing" deserves to be patronised. Sorry.

Anyone who describes a manager with as fine a record as Mark Hughes as "a ***** who doesn't know what he's doing" deserves to be patronised. Sorry.

What are you on about? I can't recall referring to Hughes. I responded to a post that was referring to Hughes, but I wasn't. Are you patronising the wrong person? If you are going to be a bell end, best to get the right person.

Dare I suggest, just maybe, our much maligned board have brought in a better manager than Spurs or ManUre managed this summer.

I dont think he is better than MoPo personally. But he has settled brilliantly and for all Poch's tactical nous he seemed to have the empathy of a snake.

Koeman is refreshing, speaks his mind and has continued in the way will play although added a bit more risk in the final third, which is what I wanted to see.

Yes they are, but TBF to him this place is a black hole within which perspective goes out the window. Poch, lallana and lovren have turned into complete duffers over the summer and in the mean time Koeman, Tadic etc have become world beaters....

What are you on about? I can't recall referring to Hughes. I responded to a post that was referring to Hughes, but I wasn't. Are you patronising the wrong person? If you are going to be a bell end, best to get the right person.

Who was the ***** who doesn't know what he's doing then? Just for clarity.

Who was the ***** who doesn't know what he's doing then? Just for clarity.

Maybe you should be clear about things before you make assumptions that are incorrect and cast aspersions.

If you read the post again it is more than clear that a) no particular manager was being referred to as a ****, it was more generic, and b) my post and the one I was responding to were not belittling Hughes.

care in the community I think SOG..............

For the likes of Hypo: I was not talking about us winning the League but more his refreshing candor and the way he stands for no nonsense....

Boruc, Morgan and Taider as examples

Promising start. Much too early to male judgements about him yet.

Maybe you should be clear about things before you make assumptions that are incorrect and cast aspersions.

If you read the post again it is more than clear that a) no particular manager was being referred to as a ****, it was more generic, and b) my post and the one I was responding to were not belittling Hughes.

So, you were comparing Koeman to a generic, fictional poor man-manager. Even though no one on the thread had called Koeman's man management into question anyway. Great insight then. And you call me patronising.

I've said it all along. We couldn't have done better than Koeman. But, Koeman is only as good as the Boardroom allow him to be, and they are still sitting on money whilst Koeman asks for reinforcements.

They have 2 days to show us they want Koeman to take Saints to the next level.

I've said it all along. We couldn't have done better than Koeman. But, Koeman is only as good as the Boardroom allow him to be, and they are still sitting on money whilst Koeman asks for reinforcements.

They have 2 days to show us they want Koeman to take Saints to the next level.

How do you know this?

All in all he could be a great manager for us and I truly believe he will turn out to be an inspired appointment. Really think we could be in for a season at least as good as last year.

for as along as I can recall, some fans have bleated about the poor quality of managers who have been in charge at SFC (not always true) but were quick to point out ....no real League record..inexperienced at International level...or Europe, and with the influx of players and the inevitable You Tube clips (usually only from their best games) so I decided to take a longer look at the record of our new manager.RK.

Playing often as no.4..usually midfielder but also at CB on occasions. RK played over 500 times and scored 193 goals (a world record for a defender ). This % is much better than many international strikers.

Around 200 of those games were for Barcelona between 1988-1995 when he scored 67 times. You can add on the 78 apps. for Holland with 14 goals. He seemed almost infallible with penalties, often with a long run-up, and a strong ground shot. Surely David Beckham must have studied his free kick style, because RK's prowess was amazing - often long, swerving shots from enormous distance -

There are several Ronald Koeman You Tube clips -if you look for them- but the 24 min. one from his Barcelona days is really entertaining...if he can manage half as well as he played - we're onto a winner.

for as along as I can recall, some fans have bleated about the poor quality of managers who have been in charge at SFC (not always true) but were quick to point out ....no real League record..inexperienced at International level...or Europe, and with the influx of players and the inevitable You Tube clips (usually only from their best games) so I decided to take a longer look at the record of our new manager.RK.

Playing often as no.4..usually midfielder but also at CB on occasions. RK played over 500 times and scored 193 goals (a world record for a defender ). This % is much better than many international strikers.

Around 200 of those games were for Barcelona between 1988-1995 when he scored 67 times. You can add on the 78 apps. for Holland with 14 goals. He seemed almost infallible with penalties, often with a long run-up, and a strong ground shot. Surely David Beckham must have studied his free kick style, because RK's prowess was amazing - often long, swerving shots from enormous distance -

There are several Ronald Koeman You Tube clips -if you look for them- but the 24 min. one from his Barcelona days is really entertaining...if he can manage half as well as he played - we're onto a winner.

Can't read too much into his playing career. There are plenty of great players who were shite managers (e.g. Maradonna), and plenty of mediocre players who were great managers (e.g. Fergie).

Obviously it's too early to judge him as a prem manager, but on a personality level and,to a lesser extent, past record he ticks enough boxes to make me a very happy bunny

Agree entirely. Not only is he showing excellent football and tactical ability but I like his positive approach to team selection and set-up. It may get tougher for him if results don't go well because, unfairly in my opinion, managers tend to judged on the league position of their team when that is actually affected by many other factors including the financial resources of the club.

Art the moment Koeman has a first choice XI, plus a few strong contenders, that is probably on a par with last year's first choice XI but if hit by injuries and suspensions there will be vulnerability in the depth of the squad, a problem that the wealthy clubs do not suffer. At West Ham, the quality of the team's possession football was equal to anything seen last year but there was still the niggle that scoring from possession is not easy - two of the goals at Upton park were from set pieces not from open play. But Koeman will know about that better than any fan and I have more confidence in him to find a solution than I had in Pochettino who faced with the same problem didn't seem to be able to do much about it.