Toby Alderweireld Signs on Season Loan - Official

Aziz Yebda

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/southampton-in-for-busy-deadline-day-deal-agreed-late-last-night?xg_source=shorten_twitter

Last bit worries me :?

Southampton have the whole day to complete a medical and hope there are no last minute issues, but given the apparent agent games so far - they may want to cross their fingers and toes on that front.

never mind that, how can we possibly afford a hugely and nonsensically inflated €500k per year?

Ha i did see that. Shows how mental football wages are when we can instantly dismiss €500k per year as a typo/error

How could a modern day footballer survive on a measly £6k per week....

Mane ? My Austrian work colleagues rate him. But Austrian football is crap, so that means nothing

....is their opinion any better than others, or is that just a judgement on Austrian football, I wonder?.

Born in Belgium, Toby joined Ajax Academy (in Holland) and was a star player there... before moving to Athletico Madrid (one year ago on 4 year contract).

Athletico had a great season with their predominently Spanish players, ....and consequently he was limited to only a dozen games. He's obviously second choice in the Spanish outfit.

He's already played 37 times for Belgium (alongside Vertongen) .and was in their World Cup squad. Hardly seems like much of a gamble for a one year loan.

500,000 per year.? ....equates to something around £10k / week .....what's inflated about that?

Even less, 500k euros is £395k/12= 33k a month so just over 8k a week which has to be lower than most our first team players. strange article who do they think we are? Blackpool?

Out of interest, how would the signing of Aldeweireld square with our current CBs? Seems to me that Gardos is not the preferred first teamer.

Cover at right back as well as a capable centre back. Excellent depth in a position that could have been troublesome.

Under Koeman, it seems no one is guaranteed a starting place, eg Wanyama at West Ham and the departure of Taider who is reported as wanting an assurance of selection. Despite playing RB for Belgium, since Aldeweireld is primarily a CB he will be one of 4 competing for 2 places. Gut feeling is that Fonte may be the one who loses out if the two new boys are as good as their reputations but we can only wait and see. Shame about Jos, who comes over as a very likeable squad member but is the weakest link and has probably played more Premier games than he ever expected to.

Under Koeman, it seems no one is guaranteed a starting place, eg Wanyama at West Ham and the departure of Taider who is reported as wanting an assurance of selection. Despite playing RB for Belgium, since Aldeweireld is primarily a CB he will be one of 4 competing for 2 places. Gut feeling is that Fonte may be the one who loses out if the two new boys are as good as their reputations but we can only wait and see. Shame about Jos, who comes over as a very likeable squad member but is the weakest link and has probably played more Premier games than he ever expected to.

I agree. Refreshing after the reports of favourites under poch.

Aldeweireld - how do you pronounce his name?

carefully?

Wikipepdia etc give the .dutch pronunciation, but although he has spend a lot of his career in Holland, he is actually Belgian, where he may or may not use the the similar Flemish , or may have a French background.

So in short, I have no idea! But I'm pretty sure Dave Merrington will research it thoroughly ;-)

Fonte is captain...

Out of interest, how would the signing of Aldeweireld square with our current CBs? Seems to me that Gardos is not the preferred first teamer.

Don't read too much into the fact that he hasn't featured yet, other than on the bench.

Florin was recovering from injury when he joined, so it's been 3mths since he last played a competitive match. He's recovered from the injury now and is fit - but not match fit. He'll be eased in to the first team.