Gaston Ramiez to Hull on Season Long Loan - Official

NorthamSteve

I'm still a fan of Gaston, but this deal maybe works for all in a sense. And he'll get a few EL games thrown in I presume? Not sure of the rules when it comes to European competition. Maybe he'll light up that League and we'll get a big money offer for him. #wishfulthinking

Unlikely. Hull were knocked out last week.

Disappointed with this one. He's never been a 90-minute man for us, but I always thought he made a handy substitute. Remember when he came on against West Brom last season and picked out Lallana with that brilliant left-footed pass on the turn. He chipped it inch-perfectly to Adam's feet and he scored. For moments like that, I'd have liked us to hold onto him.

Honestly hull fans must be gloating fleecing us for average long then picking up talented if temple rental gaston on loan.

May not work out for them but on paper seems dandy.

I know which one of them has a successful Premier League career so far.

TBH I'm gutted but get the move.

Whilst he's not lived up to the hype when we bought him, I've seen enough of him to suggest he's got the tools, just needs to know how to use them in different circumstances. I was really thought this season was going to be the one where he shone.

I really hope he shines at Hull with regular game time, if he does we'll either cash in or he returns a better player and can benefit us.

Too many false dawns with Gaston. This suits all involved. Hopefully he will come back from his purgatory at Hull a more experienced and committed player. Has obvious talent but still very much a luxury player given his meagre contribution last season.

If he does return a better player, he can say he will have been to Hull and back.

Overrated, folie de grandeur style signing by mastermind Nicola who surely has plenty of friends in Italian clubs thanks to robbing our club and the Liebherrs of their precious money with this and the Osvaldo move.

For a player with his hype to be considered not good enough by three managers including a fellow language native speaker is very strong evidence. The unfashionable, simple-skilled Steven Davis was much more effective than him for a start. Ditto for Rodriguez when played in his position.

I think it's wrong to let him go to a club that is such a close rival though.

I think it's a well thought out move on our part. Let's seen if he can keep fit and play an influential part in a well run team without having to suffer the frustrations that have been part of his time with us. If he proves to have what it takes, at the end of the loan we have an asset that has increased in value, we can utilise or sell on without having had to accomodate him in an already very competitive Saints mid-field.

I find it a pity it didnt work out, but yes, I am glad we have that financial black hole off the books.

The right decision for the club

Very much agree it will be interesting to see how many times he plays for Hull

He has hardly played much for two years I just cannot see how he can get match fit with us and Hull is such a lovely place

I feel disappointed he's gone but can't work out why when I analyse it rationally, in the two years he has been here he has contributed very little so realy we've lost nothing except a big wage we were paying for a player that didn't contribute an awful lot.

Gaston has always been an odd one I think we all just really wanted him to be a success he was the first really big money wow signing we made after returning to the top so it's only natural we all feel a bit disappointed.

Always find it interesting the indignation that comes out when bit part players leave. And a bit part player he has undoubtedly been.

Adkins used him quite well.....12/13.....Squad: 28, Starting eleven: 20, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 2, Suspended: 0, Injured: 4....total minutes 1699 (out of a possible 3420)....5 goals 3 assists

Poch used not very often!!!.....13/14....Squad: 23, Starting eleven: 3, Substituted in: 15, On the bench: 5, Suspended: 0, Injured: 4....total minutes 526....1 goal 3 assists

Given his cost & wages, this is a dreadful return. If the reported £60k per week was being paid, I would certainly want a lot more. We can wait and wait and wait until this great potential is revealed, but we have others available who we don't have to wait on. It also seems that the board have cleared out a lot of the higher earners from the last era of the club. Maybe the esteemed ex Chief Exec wasn't overly prudent. Maybe he needed to be overly generous to get people to come and the status of Southampton up and noticed, which it has.

I think Hull have done well out of us.

If he gets a run in the side Gaston could contribute as many goals for Hull ( including assists) as Long does for us.

But at least Long will get better stats in the more crucial "running around a lot" category.

When has he ever looked like having a run in any side? That's the problem. Promises so much, yet I think it's more likely that he will be out with knocks and niggles most weeks.

Either way though, it's a win-win for us. We could get a player back next year who has finally settled in the PL, made a big impact. We can either sell him for more than we would have got this summer, or retain him to improve our options.

And I think a £3m loan fee is a bit of a wtf deal. Sevilla were offering that as a transfer fee!

This has to be a plus plus for us

We have a good fee whilst he is away.

He has a chance to play regularly if he is good enough and we have him back a more polished Premier player or sell him for more than we could have achieved this window.

If he continues to be injury prone or not up to it then we have lost nothing more than we would if he stayed and we have him off the wage bill and or £3m to boot.

He has a chance to play regularly if he is good enough and we have him back a more polished Premier player or sell him for more than we could have achieved this window.

If he continues to be injury prone or not up to it then we have lost nothing more than we would if he stayed and we have him off the wage bill and or £3m to boot.

Yes, I agree. Hull's offer was more then fair considering he is a bit part player. If they want to pay his inflated wages too, well, they are obviously confident about staying up and remaining in the top flight.

Gaston Ramirez was delivered as a big fish into a small pond, throughout my Saints watching history that goes back to the 70s we have very rarely snapped up a player that has made you go Wow! The coup of nailing down Kevin Keegan still remains as the signing we stunned football with and as such we still talk about it, yes we have had names Shilton, Osgood, Case, Watson, Mills but they were in the latter stages of their careers, we also have bought older players who had we bought them at their peak would have had many of us watering at the mouth, Kerry Dixon, Mark Hughes, Stuart Ripley, Barry Venison, of course our ongoing means to survival has been the ability to produce youngsters who have gone on to set the world of football alight.

When we moved into St Mary's we had busted the bank and bought Rory Delap for £4m from Derby a club record but it wasn't the sparkling all singing and dancing player that our opponents for our very first game in SMS v Chelsea had dotted around the pitch but cost so much more, we had also been linked with Oliver Bierhoff the German Team Captain but his wage demands weighed heavily against his age of 33 but the mere thought had the place abuzz with excitement, but the disappointment of that non signing was tempered by the signing of Augustin Delgardo, which if memory serves me we well "we got at a snip" at £3.75m (even back in the noughties this kind of money in football made folks sit up and take note). He was South American he spent more time on the treatment table for split nails and grass stains on his knees yet could fly back home and play for his country....... And amble back to Southampton again (sound familiar)

However I am getting off the point:

After Saints journey to the edge of the abyss and back into the money spinning Premier league big time we eventually pull a rabbit out of the hat and land Gaston Ramirez a Uraguayan full International plying his trade and exciting Serie A with his skills. Other teams were chasing him down including Liverpool which qualified his potential purchase, we jumped through hoops to get him which further enhanced his growing reputation and expectation of his abilities with Saints fans, eventually we have him for a (again to Saints fans) Whooping £12m!, this was the Marquee signing all Saints fans had longed for after years of buying less than household names , we had bought Clyne Rodriguez, and Yoshida decent players for decent money but this one passed the £10m mark put them in the shade to most onlookers.

Yet in reality that £12m no matter how you light has turned out to be money not well spent. But we are not alone take a look at the money bags teams in the Premiership who have gone out and spent bonkers money on players that have had Sky Sports and other journalists reaching for a box and of Kleenex and a change of Calvins! Chelsea have had more than their fair share of players setting European football alight but then rocked up here on the back of a big money move and in the grand scheme of things failed to deliver resulting in having bit parts in the team through the season then moved on, but at the end of the day after the fanfare of their arrival having fizzled out and moved on in the next summer window, no one even Chelsea fans have got all hot under the collar about it because they also bought 2-3 other named players who have shone for big money diluting the impact of one of the big money signings not working out. In our case we bought Jay Rodriguez who was the scourge of the Championship from little Burnley for a club record fee, which was about the level of player we as Saints fans were use to spending our corn on, at £7.5m a bit pricey but then we knew that was the market, within a couple of weeks we smash that club record buying an International class player who as it turns out has been a bit part player who has failed to deliver but many Saints fans just see the once dreamed about price tag and assume, hope, pray, that the superstar player that money buys will surface eventually and after 2 seasons,one more than Chelsea would have given him, still hasn't made his mark.

In last seasons summer window we buy Lovren for a steal, then Wanyama for £12m and not long after Osvaldo for a further £12.5m if you look at Osvaldo he came in on a Ramirez sized wave of excitement, but within 6 months he became persona non grata through his off field actions and was eagerly being shipped out which considering his price tag not many fans have gotten emotively overly upset about; after 2 summers of £30m window spends we as fans were already slipping into the Chelsea mindset of 2 from 3 is fair enough.

By being the first £10m + player for Saints Gaston Ramirez stands alone floodlit upon a pedestal in many Saints fans eyes, they view his price tag as if it was their own hard earned money: and find it hard to accept it wasn't more wisely invested.

apologies for the ramble

Certainly a player who divides opinion. Cannot disagree with Ron's assessment here and can't help feeling that he doesn't suit Koeman's style.

I'm amazed that no one who's posted on this thread has worked out the real reason Ramirez is so important to Hull City and why he didn't complain at leaving.

The real reason he's gone to Hull is to link up with Hull's record signing, Uruguay's top striker Abel Hernandez!!! Has no one read the articles on Gaston's move to Hull City? They will benefit from playing together and no doubt Gaston will be playing interpreter to his Uruguayan colleague.

I'm amazed that no one who's posted on this thread has worked out the real reason Ramirez is so important to Hull City and why he didn't complain at leaving.

The real reason he's gone to Hull is to link up with Hull's record signing, Uruguay's top striker Abel Hernandez!!! Has no one read the articles on Gaston's move to Hull City? They will benefit from playing together and no doubt Gaston will be playing interpreter to his Uruguayan colleague.

That's probably one of the considerations. Himself and Gaston grew up at the same club in Uruguay as well. (not sure you could call him Uruguay's top striker though!)

Just knew this would be the reaction. The bloke has taken a ton of flak since he signed but now he is off he is suddenly a key player???

There wasn't a single post saying anything resembling that he was "a key player" before you posted that. In fact, there were a few "wtf"s and a "weird" or two, one mention of him being a squad player, one of him playing a cumulative total of 7 games' worth of minutes, and one person saying "very disappointed... he was excellent on Saturday" which is pretty weird in itself, offset by another saying "over it already".

So what reaction did you see that no-one else did? Because the reaction I saw was quite a lot of people being surprised but not particularly bothered.

No he didn't , I was there and I'm struggling to think of anything he did that made the slightest difference to the result.

He headed the ball off the pitch to win the incorrectly given corner that we took quickly for Ward-Prowse to cross for the own goal people that are still accrediting to Schneiderlin for some reason, even though he didn't touch it.