The value of depth: a new 5-year plan?

NewYorkSaint

Like most others here, I'm impressed and excited at what LR, RK and the board have pulled off here. I agree with the general opinion that while the first team may be about equal to last year's, overall the squad - and the club - are definitely stronger.

I'm intrigued by how this fits in to the overall strategy for the coming years. Last year's biggest frustrations were:

- tendency to fail in last part of matches. We started games incredibly strong, but tired. Already signs that Koeman has a different fitness & energy utilization strategy. Every second half has been super strong, and we've already done what MP never achieved, and come back to win from behind away from home.

- dramatic fall in performance when injuries happened. Loss of, at various times, Lallana, Wanyama, Cork and others stopped our top of table surge in its tracks. This year, the same number of injuries won't be as damaging. Plus it's clear we have a manager who can contemplate a wide range of playing systems

- refusal to compete in cups. The Sunderland story was one thing. Even worse, to my mind, was MP's public ridicule of the Europa League. Given that stance it was irrational to try for higher than 7th place, or to compete in the FA Cup. Of course, with last year's squad, there was a strong argument he was right. That squad probably couldn't have managed EL along with being PL competitive. But that means the club can't progress. You'd have to leap from 8th to 4th somehow... a near impossible task.

So what I give the board most credit for, is it seems to me they've been doing some long term dreaming about what progress would look like and how it might play out. I think the rationale may be that the only way we'll get to CL is by first climbing up to a top-6 finish. That means getting equipped for Europa League. The good news is that the same investment in depth that makes it possible to imagine qualifying for and gaining success in EL, also strongly increases our chance of competing effectively in cups this season. We can afford to play really strong teams in cup games. Lifting some of that silverware wont' make a ton of money, but it will lift the profile of the club, and help propel momentum toward greater things.

Ultimately, to be top 4 contender in the long run, we will need a bigger stadium and a bigger worldwide brand. I think our best route to that is to become known globally as the club that is the best developer of youth in the world. And all the signs are that that too is part of what the board are dreaming of. RK may come off to some as not speaking like the kind of football person we're used. But you could also argue that there's a role for the more strategic, analytics based sports management in the English Premier League. I think he probably brings that. He's a lot more than just a motivational manager. What we've seen these past couple weeks is strong evidence of some really intriguing long-term strategy at work.

I'm excited for what lies ahead.

Like most others here, I'm impressed and excited at what LR, RK and the board have pulled off here. I agree with the general opinion that while the first team may be about equal to last year's, overall the squad - and the club - are definitely stronger.

I agree with the first part, but fail to see how the squad is stronger. I'd be interested to know how you think that the squad has been strengthened. A few injuries or suspensions like last season and we will be threadbare again. The squad is still painfully thin and would not be up to a EL campaign. The only area where we might appear stronger is GK, but that depends on Boruc playing a part as backup, maybe he will maybe he won't.

VectisSaint wrote: "I'd be interested to know how you think that the squad has been strengthened. "

Instead of Lambert: Pelle.

Instead of Lallana + Gaston: Tadic + Long + Mane (+ Isgrove)

Instead of Shaw + Fox: Bertrand + Targett

Instead of Lovren: Gardos + Toby

Instead of Clyne and Chambers: Clyne (+ Toby)

Instead of Boruc + Gazza: Forster + Boruc

Plus continued improvement of JWP, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Cork.

Defense you could argue is a push, but overall looks like clear step up to me. Not to mention the £30m to stash away for a rainy day.