Shane Long

tpbury

Managed to watch the Wham game again. I am mostly ****ed and tired when it is live.

I saw some good and some bad things from him.

On the good side, he seemed very passionate and strong, especially defensively, which is strange. Hard working and had a couple of shots. He has a different attitude to the saints of last season, others have mentioned, he's a bit of a bastard, which we haven't really had up front.

Bad side, he tried a couple of stupid flicks and gave away possession and also stayed down after a nothing foul.

If Koeman can harness him right, he could be a Billy Davis ++ for us - we really need a **** up front.

PS: Loved Pelle's goal celebration with the others, looked like someone's dad meeting his kids! (sizewise)

Thought he looked good in the second half,had a lot of energy and gave the defenders a lot of problems with his running.

Your right about Pelle,he is a f-ing unit,the guy I went with couldn't believe the size of him and he is a handsome bastard to go with it

Shane Long has a lot to prove given the size of the fee, although that's not his fault. Not sure he will offer much that Gallagher can't provide and in due course I'd expect JRod to be preferred ahead of both of them. Shane was hardly at Hull long enough to find his way to the dressing room and it's a surprise that he's doubled in value since he went to WBA in 2011. With Mané to compete with as well the question is how many opportunities he will get but he is now a Saint, so I wish him well.

I see Long as a very good squad player. I know the transfer cost was high and I am not saying he is worth 12 million in comparison to some other strikers at that price but to me that is irrelevant. He gives us something different. His attitude is always spot on and he just keeps going. I love his aggression and mark my words, he will score some important goals for us over a season. I think he can be easily under estimated but he will be an important player for us in the next few years. He makes us a better team.

I see Long as a very good squad player. I know the transfer cost was high and I am not saying he is worth 12 million in comparison to some other strikers at that price but to me that is irrelevant. He gives us something different. His attitude is always spot on and he just keeps going. I love his aggression and mark my words, he will score some important goals for us over a season. I think he can be easily under estimated but he will be an important player for us in the next few years. He makes us a better team.

people are only saying the price is irrelevant as he signed for saints and they dont want to appear negative

had big sam signed shane long for that price, so many of us would be laughing very loudly at west ham

people are only saying the price is irrelevant as he signed for saints and they dont want to appear negative

had big sam signed shane long for that price, so many of us would be laughing very loudly at west ham

Correct.

Don't quite get this "just ignore the price tag" stuff. It's always relevant.

Correct.

Don't quite get this "just ignore the price tag" stuff. It's always relevant.

I've never claimed to be a player value expert but after this window I wouldn't have a clue what an individual is worth let alone what an appropriate wage would be and so for me it is becoming irrelevant.

Would you rather we didn't have him as an option and had a transfer profit of £42m?

Clearly overpriced but we needed options

No, not saying that.

Actually shows how much of a non fire sale we have had this summer that we are spending that much on solid squad filler. With the amount of new-to-the-Prem players we have, signing an absolute banker in terms of knowing the league is a good bit of business.

Would you rather we didn't have him as an option and had a transfer profit of £42m?

I'm convinced we could've done better for less money. Rickie cost £1m and is living proof that you can pick up players from the lower leagues for sensible money. Personally, I've never been so underwhelmed with a Saints signing. We paid silly money that we'll be lucky to see half of back when we let him go. Now I don't mind only getting 50% back if a player delivers the goods in their time with the club but I can't see Long cutting it. He hasn't anywhere else so what makes people think he will here? At least other past signings have had a decent track record. He just has a reputation for under achieving. Why pay so much for someone with such average credentials?

If it meant another £12m to spend in January as we see necessary then yes I would. However there are better options out there for that amount of money.

For £12m we could have given out 20,000 free season tickets. I'd rather we did that.

I'm convinced we could've done better for less money. Rickie cost £1m and is living proof that you can pick up players from the lower leagues for sensible money. Personally, I've never been so underwhelmed with a Saints signing. We paid silly money that we'll be lucky to see half of back when we let him go. Now I don't mind only getting 50% back if a player delivers the goods in their time with the club but I can't see Long cutting it. He hasn't anywhere else so what makes people think he will here? At least other past signings have had a decent track record. He just has a reputation for under achieving. Why pay so much for someone with such average credentials?

Rickie is a rare beast, so rare that lfc wanted to buy the rights to the fairytale.

If it meant another £12m to spend in January as we see necessary then yes I would. However there are better options out there for that amount of money.

For £12m we could have given out 20,000 free season tickets..........

....to people who probably wouldn't bother going to matches, which would do wonders for the atmosphere at SMS. Just think, no queues at the bars!!! Bargain.

For £12m we could have given out 20,000 free season tickets. I'd rather we did that.

Or he could score goals like he did against Villa and be the difference when we need it.

Why stop there? Free hotdogs for all instead of buying Forster?

So that is the barometer now? Hope to pick up a future international forward for £1m otherwise keep the cash.

....to people who probably wouldn't bother going to matches, which would do wonders for the atmosphere at SMS. Just think, no queues at the bars!!! Bargain.

Obviously I'm not suggesting it as a serious business proposition. I'm just illustrating to the people who say 'well it's not my money so I'm not that bothered' (I'm not aiming this at whelk specifically) that transfer fees ARE important and that the bottom line on the balance sheets is always the fan's wallets.

Or he could score goals like he did against Villa and be the difference when we need it.

I'm gutted the club hasn't used the money to pay for the season ticket, train fare, food and beer I obviously need and deserve!

Useless Safri scored an absolute belter once. The rest of Shane Long's Premier League career would suggest he is anything but prolific. Everything he has done to date would suggest he is a 6 or 7 goals a season player and for £12m that seems pretty disappointing to me.

Yes, we could have hot dogs instead of Forster but I think Forster was decent value for money.

Useless Safri scored an absolute belter once. The rest of Shane Long's Premier League career would suggest he is anything but prolific. Everything he has done to date would suggest he is a 6 or 7 goals a season player and for £12m that seems pretty disappointing to me.

Yes, we could have hot dogs instead of Forster but I think Forster was decent value for money.

I think Long may have been bought for more than just a goal tally. Yes the fee was a tad jaw dropping - but then most of the fees this summer have been. We clearly wanted him and he wasn't for sale - hence a fee Hull couldn't refuse.

Funnily, I didn't even think about the fee when I was watching the game. Yes it was way too much, I was just thinking about what he offered to the team. Maybe if he wore a giant hotdog outfit.

I bet you looked at the fee when saying we raped Liverpool for Lallana (when we really never)

Or when laughing at west ham for spending £17m on carroll. Or even Liverpool buying Carroll before that

If money spent does does not matter then the prem is thriving and we have a chance of winning the league.

I think it likely Rodrigues will be off in Jan (when he refuses to sign a contract extension), so in which case paying 12m for a fairly similar style player is an insurance.

I'm guessing the board realised they over paid, but would deem it worth it to get the replacement embedded in the squad already in the summer.

You're right, we did have our pants pulled down. There was an article on the bbc http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28984274

This talks about a value calculator from a university in Switzerland which apparently gets player values right 80%. The article said Utd paid GBP5M over the odds for Shaw. I guess we did the same for Long, but a much higher %age over of course.

Why would you even care at all?

We got a great team player, who offers something we haven't seen up front for a while, now if he could weigh in with 5-10 goals in his first season, would that be so bad? £12m will NOT buy you a 20-25 goals a season striker - it simply will not.

:? waits to be proved wrong

I bet you looked at the fee when saying we raped Liverpool for Lallana (when we really never)

Or when laughing at west ham for spending £17m on carroll. Or even Liverpool buying Carroll before that

If money spent does does not matter then the prem is thriving and we have a chance of winning the league.

And why the fascination with West Ham?

I personally think £17m for a beast like Carroll was a great deal - nobody could have foreseen the injury problems he would face. Christ, i'd have him in our squad - wouldn't you?

Why would you even care at all?

We got a great team player, who offers something we haven't seen up front for a while, now if he could weigh in with 5-10 goals in his first season, would that be so bad? £12m will NOT buy you a 20-25 goals a season striker - it simply will not.

:? waits to be proved wrong

Not 20-25 but how about 15+?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfried_Bony

Edited by hypochondriac

yes the fee was a bit steep, I reckon 10m would have ben about right... but I really like shane Long as a player, works really hard, scores goals and is a real handful for defenders thereby making space for other players to attack

I think peoples tune will change as the season goes on - I think he and pelle will make a great strike force

so I am at least one who thinks he is a positive addition

Not a fan of square pegs in round holes. See the merit of a Shane Long type of player in the squad, but not a naturally wide player for me and although the fee is nothing to do with him it is everything to do with the club.

Under the presumption that Jay Rod comes back fit and healthy and stays at the club, we're going to have some very difficult decisions to make in the final third. Pelle, Jay Rod, Long, Tadic, Mane. Granted I know nothing of Mane but I doubt he joined to sit on the bench, likewise all the others!

If you think this is true, please identify a sufficiently good striker we could plausibly have signed for significantly less that Long cost us.

I'm not convinced that is a fair stick to beat the man wtih...

Take his "6-7 goals a season" at £12m, that is £2m per goal....

Luis Suarez score 31 in the league last season £75m at £2.41m per goal.

Shall we compare wages on top of that.... So basically, on the criteria of goal scoring, Shane long is better value for money than Luis Suarez... Add to that the fact that Suarez played in a far better team relative to the opposition when compared to Long, and that Suarez had better players assisting him and distracting defenders.... If you put Long in that Liverpool side then he would be even better value for money than Suarez rofl

Shall we compare wages on top of that.... So basically, on the criteria of goal scoring, Shane long is better value for money than Luis Suarez... Add to that the fact that Suarez played in a far better team relative to the opposition when compared to Long, and that Suarez had better players assisting him and distracting defenders.... If you put Long in that Liverpool side then he would be even better value for money than Suarez rofl

Outstanding effort :lol: :thumbup:

It was an absolutely dog awful signing, and up there with one of the worst in the Prem. Gaston would have done the same job and he was already here. Cue the "he doesn't work as hard" argument. But that doesn't wash with me as I'd take an effective 20min spell from Gaston vs a useless 60 min spell (with a 12mil fee) any day. And that point was eloquently underlined at West Ham on Saturday. And if you don't want to use Gaston as an example take any of a number of lower league players we could have taken a punt on.

Shane Long is gash pure and simple.

And if you buy a player for 1m and he scores just one goal that's 1m a goal and even better 'value' :-)

An analogy that doesn't help the team win games I'm afraid.

So that is the barometer now? Hope to pick up a future international forward for £1m otherwise keep the cash.

Don't forget that using the Lambert example we'd have to allow 4 seasons of regular first team games for him to improve to Premier League level - so that would probably mean offering him a second contract before he'd played in the Prem.

It was an absolutely dog awful signing, and up there with one of the worst in the Prem. Gaston would have done the same job and he was already here. Cue the "he doesn't work as hard" argument. But that doesn't wash with me as I'd take an effective 20min spell from Gaston vs a useless 60 min spell (with a 12mil fee) any day. And that point was eloquently underlined at West Ham on Saturday. And if you don't want to use Gaston as an example take any of a number of lower league players we could have taken a punt on.

I think he's a perfectly good player for a top 10 side, he's well suited to the wide attacking role and if he plays will pitch in with a few goals. A lot will depend on how Mane fits in though, and if we play him instead of Long/Tadic out wide, or instead of Pelle down the middle. Long's got a decent pass on him too and could play in the hole, now we're a bit short of creative midfielders.

It was an absolutely dog awful signing, and up there with one of the worst in the Prem. Gaston would have done the same job and he was already here.

So why hasnt he in the 2 years he has been here? Why has he been overlooked by 3 managers?

So you are happy to have a player who misses a game with a fractured eyelash?

Long has played in the Prem for years, bought by several managers - including one who has now loaned the great Gaston the same one that signed Long a few months ago? Think I would take Bruce and Koemans opinion over yours

FWIW Suarez is overpriced too but then the value of players seems to go up exponentially the better they get.

I think he's a perfectly good player for a top 10 side, he's well suited to the wide attacking role and if he plays will pitch in with a few goals. A lot will depend on how Mane fits in though, and if we play him instead of Long/Tadic out wide, or instead of Pelle down the middle. Long's got a decent pass on him too and could play in the hole, now we're a bit short of creative midfielders.

Exactly and also the fact that we are short on experience up front, Pelle and Tadic unknown as to whether they would settle, Gallagher and Rodriguez injured, that left Mayuka who we all know is not the answer. Signing Long was a good option to fit what we required - no-one is saying we didn't overpay just we had to at that time to get what we needed an experienced, proven striker for our squad.

:lol:

You still think one of Long's strengths is his creativity/passing? Playing in the hole? On the wing? Dear oh dear.

Ultimately, he's a hard running centre forward who doesn't have electric pace but enough to stretch defences. His sheer work rate guarantees a certain level of performance -important for big games in the way Ji Sung Park was good for United- but he isn't blessed with much natural ability; nor does he have an instinct for the back of the net.

Having not seen much of him I thought I'd head to the Aviva to see him play for his country. He's not even in the starting 11. O'Neil has gone with Doyle and Hoolahan up front which is disappointing. I'd have thought that someone who plays regularly in the Prem and has just gone for such big money would've got the nod ahead of Hoolahan or Doyle? I expected Long to be straight in the team, particularly when you consider that the Republic really are ****! Can't help but feel that I've wasted my money coming here tonight. It's a terrible game and the main reason for coming is sat on the bench. :-/

Well he played for 31 minutes and was spectacularly unimpressive. He committed several stupid fouls and won a couple of free kicks. Other than that he did **** all. Based on that performance I wouldn't give £1.2m for him. I honestly wonder what Saints saw in him that made them pay £12m for his services. I now know why he started on the bench. Hasn't Doyle just gone to CP? I'd much rather have had him at Saints. He looked world class compared to Long. Robbie Keane also showed that he's got more about him.

I went tonight as I felt I should give the lad a chance as I've been fairly critical without actually seeing him in the flesh. I've come away even more disillusioned. He showed nothing, and I mean NOTHING that justifies that price tag or even suggests he's of Premiership standard.

Overall verdict based on tonight's performance... Shane Long is ****!

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Well he played for 31 minutes and was spectacularly unimpressive. He committed several stupid fouls and won a couple of free kicks. Other than that he did **** all. Based on that performance I wouldn't give £1.2m for him. I honestly wonder what Saints saw in him that made them pay £12m for his services. I now know why he started on the bench. Hasn't Doyle just gone to CP? I'd much rather have had him at Saints. He looked world class compared to Long. Robbie Keane also showed that he's got more about him.

I went tonight as I felt I should give the lad a chance as I've been fairly critical without actually seeing him in the flesh. I've come away even more disillusioned. He showed nothing, and I mean NOTHING that justifies that price tag or even suggests he's of Premiership standard.

Overall verdict based on tonight's performance... Shane Long is ****!

One performance? Thank god you are so balanced eh? Now I don't know your footballing credentials but I'd place a bet that they are nowhere near RK's or LR's. Now I wonder who I would believe about Shane Long........