NFL ... 2014 season

Saint 76er

This weekend sees the start of the new NFL season, and therefore it's time for a new thread for all our NFL fans to post their news and views and hopes for the coming season.

It's the Eagles for me and hoping that a second year under Chip Kelly will get them close to a SB appearance, but then again probably not! Strangest roster move was to cut DeSean Jackson (Chip didn't like his attitude) but player to watch in South Philly this season is second year TE Zac Ertz. After all, what's not to like about a 6'5" 250 pound TE/WR who pulls in catches for fun? Much will also depend on WR Jeremy Maclin's fitness, coming off an ACL last year he just has to stay healthy, especially with DJax now giving the Redskins locker room the benefit of his enlightened personality.

Fly Eagles, Fly

Losing DeSean Jackson won't be as bad in the long run. He was indicative of Andy Reid's bad drafting policies. DeSean is too small to be a #1 wide receiver but Foles doesn't look too bad, you should get past Jacksonville easily.

Who Dey!

He'll fail with the Redskins as well.

As a Colts fans I hope to make the Playoffs again. Be interesting to see if Nicks can reclaim his earlier career form and whether or not Wayne will comeback from his ACL injury well. Last nights game was unfortunate, but you can't give multiple chances like that to be Bronco's.

Good win for the Eagles, but a strange game with the home team booed off (this is Philly!) at the half 0-17. Chip Kelly's half time talks must be as good as Koeman's as the natural order was restored for a 34-17 win. Zach Ertz starred, as predicted, but two OL starters got injured and a third is suspended for PED violation so NIck Foles might not get too much protection in a tough game at the Colts next week. Still, it's a 100% season right now!

He'll fail with the Redskins as well.

As a Colts fans I hope to make the Playoffs again. Be interesting to see if Nicks can reclaim his earlier career form and whether or not Wayne will comeback from his ACL injury well. Last nights game was unfortunate, but you can't give multiple chances like that to be Bronco's.

I went to the Texans game yesterday and the Redskins had nothing in the offense. They have the weapons there for sure but RGIII seems to be severely lacking confidence and seems comes out of the pocket way too often.

That Colts game was a good game to watch as a neutral (although as a Colts division rival, I wanted the Broncos to win :) ). I totally agree with you about the fact that you can't give teams like the Colts too many chances. However, your boys did well to claw it back. Once they all get on page with each other, I think you will do well. Bradshaw looked great last night.

Did anyone else see Antonio Brown's 'stomp' on the Browns kicker?

Apologies about the quality, but the NFL have blocked most of the better quality ones:

Two towns that embody scumbagery, Shytsburgh and Baltimore (google Ray Rice for those outside the States), both AFC North teams. I'm not surprised to see that.

Edited by Saint_Abroad

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a torrid encounter between the Eagles and Redskins, more like a 15 round prize fight than football. Both sides battered themselves to a standstill with the Eagles just remaining upright the longest for the win 37-34. A brave effort considering their already devastated OL and two of their best linemen in Kelce and Peters off in this match and no real replacements left. Not surprisingly Nick Foles was battered more times than Rocky, including a crude cheap shot that got Baker ejected along with Jason Peters for retaliating, but Foles got up after every hit and finally drove his team to victory. A gutsy effort, and a city that values toughness and strength of character has a new hero.

• 4 weeks later...
Saint 76er are you also a Sixers fan ? If so thats mad, I am a Eagles and Sixers fan as well.

5-1 for the Eagles and a 27-0 win.

Love the cartoon videos of Eli we do every season.

Hi Sammy, yeah I follow all the Philly teams but started out following the Sixers. Really looking forward to the new NBA season, don't know why though as the Sixers are designed to lose for another year but after that it should start to get really good. Hang in there buddy as this team could be something special in a year or two.

Great job so far by the Iggles, even they can't believe 5-1. Was a joy to watch them smash the G-Men 27-0. The much maligned defense were outstanding and special teams are just spectacular right now. Hell, they pulled off a punt block in the end zone for a TD two games running and that sort of thing just don't normally happen!

It's a bye week for the Eagles, but hopefully they can keep this going and still be involved into the new year. Things might get interesting then!

Don't know how many people are interested, but maybe we need an NBA thread, huh!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Sammy, yeah I follow all the Philly teams but started out following the Sixers. Really looking forward to the new NBA season, don't know why though as the Sixers are designed to lose for another year but after that it should start to get really good. Hang in there buddy as this team could be something special in a year or two.

Great job so far by the Iggles, even they can't believe 5-1. Was a joy to watch them smash the G-Men 27-0. The much maligned defense were outstanding and special teams are just spectacular right now. Hell, they pulled off a punt block in the end zone for a TD two games running and that sort of thing just don't normally happen!

It's a bye week for the Eagles, but hopefully they can keep this going and still be involved into the new year. Things might get interesting then!

Don't know how many people are interested, but maybe we need an NBA thread, huh!

Thats mad mate exactly the same as me, went to Philly to watch Sixers came back a Philly fan, Hope your watching the game tonight what a win this will be vs the Cowgirls if we can score some TDs rather then field goals.

• 1 month later...

Painful seeing Peyton's career end so abruptly, especially given the opposition - he looked like a noodle arm second-stringer. Sport at its most unsentimental.

The Colts are flat-track bullies and Luck still prone to turnovers. Can't see them doing anything against the Patriots who'll probably draw on the game-plan they used the last two times they smashed the Colts i.e. run the ball down their throats.

Shame about the Ravens who I saw in New Orleans in November. Injuries and holes in the secondary finally caught up with them; but there is plenty to build on, hopefully with Kubiak still on board.

Will be interesting to see what adjustments Green Bay makes after their first game with Seattle; with Rodgers' mobility limited, can't see beyond a Patriots-Seahawks final.

Painful seeing Peyton's career end so abruptly, especially given the opposition - he looked like a noodle arm second-stringer. Sport at its most unsentimental.

The Colts are flat-track bullies and Luck still prone to turnovers. Can't see them doing anything against the Patriots who'll probably draw on the game-plan they used the last two times they smashed the Colts i.e. run the ball down their throats.

Shame about the Ravens who I saw in New Orleans in November. Injuries and holes in the secondary finally caught up with them; but there is plenty to build on, hopefully with Kubiak still on board.

Will be interesting to see what adjustments Green Bay makes after their first game with Seattle; with Rodgers' mobility limited, can't see beyond a Patriots-Seahawks final.

I don't disagree with any of those points. I'd liken the Colts to Saints actually.

Luck has certainly been better turnover wise recently - the two last night were effectively punts and played like that, actually a good tactic when 3rd and long.

Belliceck always has our number, and just tends to beat us up on both sides of the ball. However, our run defence didn't look too bad last night, and if our O-line can protect Luck in the pocket like against both the Broncos and the Bengals then we have a chance. Plus Luck has the X factor that he can do anything at any time.

Agree about Peyton, as a Colts fan I have a lot of love for him, but his arm strength has diminished greatly this year and I hope he retires in the off-season. Shame to end his career like that.

Peyton bottled it again, he might have the stats but really don't get the fuss over that guy.

9 times he's been one-and-done in the play-offs. He was found out massively last night (as he was in last year's SB).

It's time for him to call it a day and go out on a relative high note. The Broncos won't make the play-offs next year.

As or next season, will be interesting which team, if any, picks up Mariota ho certainly looks the real deal (I bet Oregon are so glad Manziel changed his mind last minute). Looking forward to the games at Wembley too

Sh!tty season for me personally (Saints fan) not even making the play-offs and all this year, a losing record for the season isn't great either, just looked pretty appalling defensively and offensively in quite a few games, need to come back strong next season.

As for the post-season, I can't see anything but a Seahawks v Patriots SuperBowl.

Peyton bottled it again, he might have the stats but really don't get the fuss over that guy.

9 times he's been one-and-done in the play-offs. He was found out massively last night (as he was in last year's SB).

It's time for him to call it a day and go out on a relative high note. The Broncos won't make the play-offs next year.

As or next season, will be interesting which team, if any, picks up Mariota ho certainly looks the real deal (I bet Oregon are so glad Manziel changed his mind last minute). Looking forward to the games at Wembley too

As said, been playing with a torn quad for the last month or so.

He's one of the greatest QB's ever, certainly the greatest QB tactician, got to 3 Superbowls, won one, holds so many records it's unreal. If you've only just started watching the NFL then yes, maybe you haven't seen the best of him, but the guy has been an absolute stud for 12 to 15 years.

Sh!tty season for me personally (Saints fan) not even making the play-offs and all this year, a losing record for the season isn't great either, just looked pretty appalling defensively and offensively in quite a few games, need to come back strong next season.

As for the post-season, I can't see anything but a Seahawks v Patriots SuperBowl.

It was the home record that surprised me with the Saints this year. No Darren Sproles made a massive difference to Brees as he couldn't check down as much as he wanted, and was found out due to it.

It was the home record that surprised me with the Saints this year. No Darren Sproles made a massive difference to Brees as he couldn't check down as much as he wanted, and was found out due to it.

Yeah, we've historically been extremely hard to beat inside the Dome, but this season that's all gone to pot and we've been turned over loads unfortunately, also very true what you say about Sproles, used to love that guy, I guess we had to trade him to free up some cap space but even so I wish he'd of stayed, especially as he did so well with the Eagles this season.

Seahawks will beat the Patriots in the SuperBowl, that's my prediction, I think the Seahawks will just be too strong offensively for the Patriots defence.

The Seahawks O vs the Pats D won't be the key matchup. It starts and ends with the Pats O vs the Seahawks D where I think the Seahawks still hold a slight advantage - they've looked much more like the legion of boom since Bobby Wagner's return and their smaller, faster linebackers seem a perfect match of Brady's version of dink and dunk. Still if anyone can scheme a victory, it's Belichick and Brady (see their rather shady use of eligible and ineligible receivers against the Ravens).

The Seahawks O vs the Pats D won't be the key matchup. It starts and ends with the Pats O vs the Seahawks D where I think the Seahawks still hold a slight advantage - they've looked much more like the legion of boom since Bobby Wagner's return and their smaller, faster linebackers seem a perfect match of Brady's version of dink and dunk. Still if anyone can scheme a victory, it's Belichick and Brady (see their rather shady use of eligible and ineligible receivers against the Ravens).

I wonder who they're going to pop Sherman on. Need someone to nullify Gronk, just not sure who.

I wonder who they're going to pop Sherman on. Need someone to nullify Gronk, just not sure who.

Sherman doesn't move around a lot - will stay on the defensive left side, regardless how the receivers aligned.

Think Kam Chancellor who is a proper bully in the middle (see his hits on Vernon Davis) actually matches up pretty well against Gronk, as much as anyone can match up against Gronk. Of course, that might change if Gronk does more than just run seam routes.

Sherman doesn't move around a lot - will stay on the defensive left side, regardless how the receivers aligned.

Think Kam Chancellor who is a proper bully in the middle (see his hits on Vernon Davis) actually matches up pretty well against Gronk, as much as anyone can match up against Gronk. Of course, that might change if Gronk does more than just run seam routes.

Which you never know with Bill calling plays...

Packers catastrophically cocked up on Sunday in game they should have to put to bed after half time. Quite devastating to watch my distraught Packers fan son witness it. Hopefully his second team, Saints, will do something nice in May!

Must admit I wanted the Packers to lose so quite enjoyed the ending - unlike the Seahawks fans who left early when they were losing. No sympathy what so ever!

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/instantawesome-seahawksfans-150118/some-seattle-seahawks-fans-leave-nfc-championship-game-early-get-back-see-historic-rally

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/magazine/tom-brady-cannot-stop.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=2

Brady has suffered only one major injury in his career — an anterior-cruciate-ligament tear during the season opener in 2008 that caused him to miss the rest of the year — and has grown accustomed to dealing with problematic muscles with Guerrero’s help. After the strain in practice, Brady hobbled up to Guerrero, who felt around the injured area and isolated the site of the trauma. He went to work stimulating the area with his hands to flush out the excess blood and lymph that build up around an injury. When damaged, muscles naturally constrict, bundle up and eventually harden. This is part of the healing process, but a slow one. Guerrero worked to “re-educate” the muscles in the affected area so they would not, in a sense, behave as if they had been injured. To an untrained observer, these maneuvers resemble a series of massage techniques, but Brady does not like the term “massage,” because he believes that it sells short the awesomeness of what Guerrero does. “It’s like giving a chef flour and eggs and saying, ‘O.K., we’ll make biscuits,' ” he says. “Well, sure, everyone is going to make them different. But Alex is perfect at it.” Brady missed only one day of practice after the calf injury.

“Body work” is Guerrero’s preferred term for his massagelike “technique.” Brady had raved to me about Guerrero when we met in New York. He told me they had started a business together, called TB12, that would institutionalize Guerrero’s technique. The business is in a shopping center behind the Patriots’ home field, Gillette Stadium, but it is hard to describe what exactly TB12 is — not a gym, not a group practice of personal trainers, not a nutrition or massage-therapy center. Whenever I asked Brady and Guerrero to define TB12, they would talk of things like “re-educating muscles” and “prehab” (preventing injuries, rather than dealing with them after they happen). Inevitably, they would come around to the word “lifestyle.” (“Everyone thinks I’m a kook and a charlatan,” Guerrero says, referring to how some traditional trainers view him.)

So who do we want to win the big one?

I do not want either to win, but should cheer for the team in the same division as my 49ers!

Well as last year they tried their utmost to stop any 49er fans getting tickets so that they would

only have their own "fans" in the stadium I hope the Patriots hammer them.

Mind you I don't like them very much either but I dislike them a bit less than the Seattle lot.

Well as last year they tried their utmost to stop any 49er fans getting tickets so that they would

only have their own "fans" in the stadium I hope the Patriots hammer them.

Mind you I don't like them very much either but I dislike them a bit less than the Seattle lot.

Yes you are right, but Brady will equal Montana's super winning record! Dam, why am I even going to watch...... Oh because it is a fantastic showpiece :)

The people that made lots of money from the event ?

it is a boring, crap sport.

I heard on the radio that it is the most watched sporting event of the year...

but then, on saturday, the same channel (talksport) said that at least 6x as many people would have watched the chelsea v city game

but then, on saturday, the same channel (talksport) said that at least 6x as many people would have watched the chelsea v city game

Who cares? Why are you even posting on this thread, then? Odd.

TrivialPursuitPieces.jpg

Helpful hint - don't believe anything TalkSh!te broadcasts, it's all made up BS. Better still, don't listen to it.