Man City target Jay Rodriguez

Batman

Why? He's not even an established international and won't be given much time to adjust to City's level if he went there. Given the struggles of Sinclair, Johnson and to a lesser extent Richards and Lescott, they've hardly got a good track record of helping English players come through. He might rake the £ in but from a footballing point of view it would be a poor move IMO. Spurs is about the right step up for him at this moment in time, but hoping that we do well enough between now and Jan to convince him to sign a new contract. Massive show of faith from the board to offer him a 5 year deal given nature of his injury, so I hope either way it gets sorted quickly and we don't get played again like with Poch.

Why? He's not even an established international and won't be given much time to adjust to City's level if he went there. Given the struggles of Sinclair, Johnson and to a lesser extent Richards and Lescott, they've hardly got a good track record of helping English players come through. He might rake the £ in but from a footballing point of view it would be a poor move IMO. Spurs is about the right step up for him at this moment in time, but hoping that we do well enough between now and Jan to convince him to sign a new contract. Massive show of faith from the board to offer him a 5 year deal given nature of his injury, so I hope either way it gets sorted quickly and we don't get played again like with Poch.

Why, they get a striker capable of playing two positions, capable of scoring at least 15-17 league goals and is (more importantly for them).... English

The 'why' was referring to your 'that will be that' logic not the reasons City might look to sign him.

My "logic" was if they want him. That will be that, he will go

This summer has shown us that more than likely, if players want out we will let them go. More so if they have 12-18 months on their contract and not signed a new one offered

Surely he will look at previous examples of decent talents who have gone there and not played!

How many are there?

Sinclair and Rodwell....? I rate jay a lot more than them

Anyway, probably papers picking up on not a lot. He is probably on the list of many clubs as a potential target. Not just city

They all turned out true, didn't they?

Some did, some we don't know. What is for certain is that those stories were not passed on by someone with the clubs best interests at heart. We'll probably never know who it was for a fact but three reporters felt strongly enough to suggest who it was.

Edited by Turkish

I don't think Jay is greedy enough to go to Man City, he knows he'll be fourth choice at best. I think it's more likely he'll go to wherever Pochettino is in January (probably not Spurs, let's be honest).

Why would it be greedy? He'll get the chance to play for a team that will finish in the top two this season, make the later stages of the champions league. It's then done to him to prove he's good enough to get a decent amount of game time.

Can't see him going there, especially not coming back from a long term injury. He needs support and faith to go out and play after recovery and he's not going to get that with all the great players they've got competing for places.

I'm sure he wants to and probably will go to a big club if he performs this season, but it won't be city.

The unfortunate thing is that if he is not as good as he was before the injury will have him here for a long time, if he is back to his best he will leave. I hope he returns to his best but we then expect to see him leave to Spurs if MP is still there.

To be honest, I'm beginning to think we should be identifying replacements for Jay Rod, Spiderman and Wanyama now. They appear not to want to be here and clearly could upset what appears to be a good side that Koeman is starting to put together.

But this time though we sell on our terms, once we have brought in a successful replacements. We have the money in the bank to do this - to identify replacements and ship them in. Then we sell at inflated prices. Time for more ruthlessness from our Boardroom and the end of the summer naivety. I think we are all hoping for stronger - and now more experienced - boardroom decision making.

We sell once we have a better replacement.

Why do we keep needing to find extra things to worry about?

He is not even playing at the moment and there is no guarantee he will come back at the same level. He will either sign a new contract or he will be off.

Fretting about it on an internet forum will not make the slightest difference. The sun is shining - go outside and do something useful instead of worring about something you have absolutely no control over!

It's pretty obvious that a lot of top teams will be monitoring his progress as he comes back from injury. Whether any will make the plunge with a bid in January or wait until the end of the season remains to be seen.

What will definitely happen if he does leave is that Sir Les will get make sure we get a decent chunk of money for him.

Another day another negative thread started by our resident little ray of sunshine. :smug:

How is it negative. It's just an article

Out there

Isn't it great that we have such a good player who appears to be so sought after because of his time at our club

Feel free to point me into the happy type of leading article in today's main papers

Cheers

Why do we keep needing to find extra things to worry about?

He is not even playing at the moment and there is no guarantee he will come back at the same level. He will either sign a new contract or he will be off.

Fretting about it on an internet forum will not make the slightest difference. The sun is shining - go outside and do something useful instead of worring about something you have absolutely no control over!

Who is worried I'm not

If fretting on a Internet forum is pointless, why do you fret so much about others

To be honest, I'm beginning to think we should be identifying replacements for Jay Rod, Spiderman and Wanyama now. They appear not to want to be here and clearly could upset what appears to be a good side that Koeman is starting to put together.

We sell once we have a better replacement.

I agree we should be looking for a replacement, not least as he may be gone or may never recover. To that end I think we are very short, with Mayuka and Gallagher not being good enough. Mane can apparently play up front as well as on the wings.

Your sentence about only selling when we have a better replacement is wholly wrong. if there is a better player out there, he would be signed up already. And this home grown also affects us as much as the big boys. Like FFP we are at a disadvantage in that we cannot compete on wages, so as soon as the cheque book is waved, we are done for.

Quiet news weekend with no football so what better to do than put out January transfer window fairy tales particularly about SFC. I am not sure about conspiracy theories concerning Cortese I thought he had sold up and let the country. If fully fit and scoring goals I would imagine Jay will be a target for a number of clubs including City but we are not there yet and he will only go for a load of money not £15m. I would prefer he does not join Spurs or Liverpool but you have to be realistic. City's record with players is not good and I cannot see him wanting to be on the bench behind Aguero et al reliant on injuries to get a game.

Who is worried I'm not

If fretting on a Internet forum is pointless, why do you fret so much about others

Why start the thread then? The player is injured and not playing at the moment. Koeman has said he is not selling him. If that is the case and he doesnt sign a new contact he is free to go where he wants. Makes no difference in City are interested. But hey, it is another negative story so lets get it out there.

I fret because I come on here for proper news (big mistake I know) and informed debate. Your threads seem mostly to be doom and gloom (when you are not making sweeping generalisations). I paid £5 for this and I would rather my money was spent on a higher level of drivel.

Cortese has gone. We have a new Board, a new manager and a number of new players. There is a lot to be optimistic about but I get up on a Sunday morning and here you are peddling doom again.

Why start the thread then? The player is injured and not playing at the moment. Koeman has said he is not selling him. If that is the case and he doesnt sign a new contact he is free to go where he wants. Makes no difference in City are interested. But hey, it is another negative story so lets get it out there.

I fret because I come on here for proper news (big mistake I know) and informed debate. Your threads seem mostly to be doom and gloom (when you are not making sweeping generalisations). I paid £5 for this and I would rather my money was spent on a higher level of drivel.

Cortese has gone. We have a new Board, a new manager and a number of new players. There is a lot to be optimistic about but I get up on a Sunday morning and here you are peddling doom again.

Erm because it was reported in the newspaper so is worthy of discussion I would have thought. I know you enjoy ignoring news stories that you perceive to be negative, but it doesn't mean everyone else has to copy you.

New stories? How many actual news stories have there been this some and how many pieces of idle speculation. How much time has been wasted on things that havent happened and were never going to happen? We have been told that Jay is not for sale. So this is idle speculation.

Why start the thread?

Because in a major newspaper there is a story linking our top scorer of last season to the champions

Is that now worthy of a mention on a saints forum?

New stories? How many actual news stories have there been this some and how many pieces of idle speculation. How much time has been wasted on things that havent happened and were never going to happen? We have been told that Jay is not for sale. So this is idle speculation.

OK so are you going to be the arbiter then about what national newspaper stories are allowed to be discussed in here and what stories aren't?

OK so are you going to be the arbiter then about what national newspaper stories are allowed to be discussed in here and what stories aren't?

Oh do grow up, of course not. But if you think about it, Koeman says he is not for sale, he is crocked, we didnt sell him to Spurs, do you really think we are going to sell him to Manchester City?

Why start the thread?

Because in a major newspaper there is a story linking our top scorer of last season to the champions

Is that now worthy of a mention on a saints forum?

Strangely you were the only person who thought fit to start the thread. Unlike you to start a negative thread Delldays ;)

Tell you what, when Jay signs for City I'll buy you a pint and say well done.

My "logic" was if they want him. That will be that, he will go

This summer has shown us that more than likely, if players want out we will let them go. More so if they have 12-18 months on their contract and not signed a new one offered

You are assuming that JRod will be happy simply to watch Aguero, Dzeko, and Jovetic in training, and get an occasional close-up view of them in games from the bench, while making a lot of money of course, and getting the odd winner's medal for doing nothing. Maybe he is that kind of guy, but I doubt it.

Oh do grow up, of course not. But if you think about it, Koeman says he is not for sale, he is crocked, we didnt sell him to Spurs, do you really think we are going to sell him to Manchester City?

No idea but according to you we aren't even allowed to discuss the possibility. Could it be that they will look to sign him in January if he demonstrates he has recovered with us? Possibly.