Shane Long -Article

'00'

Interviewed for ST for Ireland match talked about his move.

I was surprised as anybody by the fee but club kept upping bid

until Hull accepted.I knew they enquired in January but they didn't

follow through.My wife is very happy because there are daily flights

from Southanpton and she found it hard to settle in Hull.

Very impressed with the state of the art Training facilities compared

to Hull.

When he met the clubs reps they showed him their plans and all

research done for years and years in picking players to replace

ones they knew they were going to lose.Theyre not stupid about

their transfer policy.

The role he is being asked to play by RK is unfamiliar to him...

behind the main stiker in an advanced role on the right,coming

in at the right time and not being picked up..testing the opposition

in behind. Im getting used to it.

He concluded by saying he wants to stay for the 4 years and make history.

Square peg' date=' round hole. Just do not get it.[/quote']

The club obviously see something they can work on - Thierry Henry was predominently a winger when he moved to Arsenal but AW moved him to playing as a striker. It's about how adaptable the player is. ( Note for the pedantic, I'm not comparing SL with TH ).

to Hull.

their transfer policy.

Interesting piece '00', thanks for posting it.

to Hull.

their transfer policy.

I WISH SOMEONE IN THE CLUB WOULD TELL US THEIR PLANS!!

Square peg, round hole. Just do not get it.

classic big striker, little striker - remember Crouch and Philips...? did ok for them...

to Hull.

their transfer policy.

I guess this answers your question about why the club bought Long and not your preferred option of Carlton Cole then Delldays/Batman.

Interesting that he has been considered for some time so not a "panic buy" then. The fee seems high but if he does a job then fair play. Good to see that this is not all just thrown together.

The fee seems high, but there were so many factors going into it that it was always going to be if we really wanted to get him. He'd only just signed, was on a long contract, they didn't need to sell and he was a first team starter for them and they knew we had cash! I'm surprised he didn't cost more, considering :lol:

Hated the idea of seeing Shane Long in a saints kit when I first heard about the rumour, but having seen him play vs Millwall and West Ham I am convinced that even though he won't score many, he is going to be a good player for us this year!

The fee seems high, but there were so many factors going into it that it was always going to be if we really wanted to get him. He'd only just signed, was on a long contract, they didn't need to sell and he was a first team starter for them and they knew we had cash! I'm surprised he didn't cost more, considering :lol:

Hated the idea of seeing Shane Long in a saints kit when I first heard about the rumour, but having seen him play vs Millwall and West Ham I am convinced that even though he won't score many, he is going to be a good player for us this year!

Sides he was poor against?

Hopefully Mané works out and Long becomes a decent option off the bench.

to Hull.

their transfer policy.

Seems strange they spend "years" researching replacement players and then pick ones that do not naturally play in the positions they are requried to fill?

I prefer the easier "we bought him cos he runs like fook all day and isn't afraid to stick his boot in" reasons.

Sides he was poor against?

Hopefully Mané works out and Long becomes a decent option off the bench.

This.

He was distinctly 'headless chickeny' (as he has been his entire career) vs West Ham and Millwall. The moment he went off and Gaston came on we looked heaps better. I guess we didn't need that 12mil :S

This.

He was distinctly 'headless chickeny' (as he has been his entire career) vs West Ham and Millwall. The moment he went off and Gaston came on we looked heaps better. I guess we didn't need that 12mil :S

Early days but have seen nothing from him thus far that says anything other than distinctly average.

A distinctly average player; then again some of us like steak and others like big macs and offal.

I would agree that it isn't the most exciting of signings and was expensive, but given Hull's replacement is more expensive, then not too bad. (I mean more expensive as it was £10m for 3 years, compared to £12m for 4 - splitting hairs I know...!!) There really wasn't a great deal of choice. I always said that PL experience seemed to have been a big factor and I was questioned by many as to why it was. RK later came out and said that it was one of the factors, so who would you want, one whose wages were affordable and who actually wanted to come here. There actually isn't a great deal of choice and no one has really come up with a viable/better alternative. [Out of interest, would you have preferred Hernandez who Hull signed or Long?]

As it is, I like steak and the odd Big Mac (although really, a Whopper is so much better). And offal, well liver and kidney yes, but tripe, won't touch that.

I WISH SOMEONE IN THE CLUB WOULD TELL US THEIR PLANS!!

They did tell us what they claimed their plans were - that the best players were not for sale and they would bring in more to improve the squad. Whether it was accident or design that caused that to change is what much of the arguing has been about, but by the time they were talking to Long, a new transfer policy was in place which has regained the confidence of the fans, (or most of them), and it seems has also gained the confidence of the players.

They did tell us what they claimed their plans were - that the best players were not for sale and they would bring in more to improve the squad. Whether it was accident or design that caused that to change is what much of the arguing has been about, but by the time they were talking to Long, a new transfer policy was in place which has regained the confidence of the fans, (or most of them), and it seems has also gained the confidence of the players.

Well long said a new transfer policy was not in place and the players had been identified years in advance. What are you actually a professor of btw?

Well long said a new transfer policy was not in place and the players had been identified years in advance. What are you actually a professor of btw?

Perhaps there's a more literal meaning to the name...one who professes

Profess (verb):

claim, often falsely, that one has (a quality or feeling)

Good interview, cheers for posting!

On Long always hated seeing him line up against us so glad he signed. Appreciate that he wants to be here and seems to 'get' the club.

Don't expect miracles but, even with him having to learn a new role in a side in transition, I would hope he could help our goals tally through goals, direct assists and creating space for others to play with his effective off the ball work.

As for price we all know, even he knows, it may be a bit steep. But value is subjective. We wanted him, Hull had no real desire to sell, we managed to find a mutually acceptable price. Simple.

I like Long, seems like a good honest pro - someone who is the polar opposite to who we've seen leave the club in recent times and the sort of player that the fans have been moaning that we didn't have, in terms of mentality.

I like his style, his hassling no nonsense approach which also happens to be bloody quick. The fee was what the fee was, because Hull didn't have to sell, simple as that - I don't have a problem with that as we've got a good player who is good enough for a first 11 start, won't moan when he is sometimes the "option off the bench" and who crucially, wants to see out his 4 year contract here and hopefully show everyone what a good player he is. Maybe we'll get a couple of cups on the way!? The first FA cup since 1976 would surely be making history here!!

I like Long, seems like a good honest pro - someone who is the polar opposite to who we've seen leave the club in recent times and the sort of player that the fans have been moaning that we didn't have, in terms of mentality.

I like his style, his hassling no nonsense approach which also happens to be bloody quick. The fee was what the fee was, because Hull didn't have to sell, simple as that - I don't have a problem with that as we've got a good player who is good enough for a first 11 start, won't moan when he is sometimes the "option off the bench" and who crucially, wants to see out his 4 year contract here and hopefully show everyone what a good player he is. Maybe we'll get a couple of cups on the way!? The first FA cup since 1976 would surely be making history here!!

Great post - a lot of sense IMO.

Square peg' date=' round hole. Just do not get it.[/quote']

It's a Moneyball signing (albeit an expensive one). Find the stats you want, find the player that fits the stats and buy him.

We now have to wait to find out if Les Reed is Brad Pitt or just throwing darts at a list of players.

It's a Moneyball signing (albeit an expensive one). Find the stats you want, find the player that fits the stats and buy him.

We now have to wait to find out if Les Reed is Brad Pitt or just throwing darts at a list of players.

What makes you think that? Not sure what stats would promote Long particularly, apart from 'makes X number of runs behind back 4' or 'Y number of sprints to close down opposition back 4'?

I obviously don't watch enough football because I've always thought that Shane Long was a really good player, especially for Reading but also when I watched West Brom, though I probably wasn't paying much attention. I'm not sure why people are so underwhelmed by him?

Nor me.

follow through

.My wife is very happy because there are daily flights

Very impressed with the state of the art Training facilities compared to Hull.

their transfer policy.

in behind. Im getting used to it. He concluded by saying he wants to stay for the 4 years and make history.

1) for those people who want to know why a transfer didn't work and .....player X or Y......didn't sign for us, here's one of the possible reasons....

2) for players (like Shane Long) who have been around a few years and played at different levels, here's one reason for being happy to go to the workplace,

remembering that SMS is only (a workplace).. for a COUPLE OF HOURS twice a month.

I'm afraid I disagree with your interpretation, but does it actually matter? A professor of psychology might find this forum a splendid source to research the motivation for insult trading. Thanks for your contribution.

I'm afraid I disagree with your interpretation, but does it actually matter? A professor of psychology might find this forum a splendid source to research the motivation for insult trading. Thanks for your contribution.

A professor of common sense would make hay with your posts pal.

I might send Steve and FoI request to see who is the most "Ignored" poster. Thoughts on the top 5?

Barry & Glasgow when they were around. You? Alps?

SaintRichmond must have been pretty high during the summer. I'm up to about 15 ignores now, what with the numerous banning and rebrandings, probably 75% of them aren't even current posters. Turkish is not one of them either. :scared: