Swansea vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Thoughts on this?

They have obviously made a very strong start to the season and going by MOTD they outplayed Chelsea in their own back yard for the first half. Clearly will be a very tough test of our new team, possibly more so than Liverpool on the opening day.

The good news is the physicality of Costa caused them a few problems and I'd like to think Pelle could be equally effective given decent service.

Should we stuff the midfield with Morgan, Cork and Wanyama like we did second half yesterday or go with the more attacking formation and start with Long? Away to a tough side, I'd be tempted to go with the former.

Should be a really entertaining game. 2 likeable teams and managers who go about things the right way. Will be a tough one but they'll be expecting a difficult afternoon and there's no reason we can't come home with 3 points in the bag again.

I'd start with the same XI as yesterday. The game should flow freely, and Corky is much better suited to that than VW, although he has massively improved in that aspect. The same change an always be made if we need to be stronger in the middle. Great to have good options.

I can see us beating QPR (who were rotten today, albeit against better opposition), so a win against Swansea would see us having won 4 in a row and I would assume have us flying high in the top 4 after six games. Unthinkable really.

however I do think this will be a draw at best, Swansea have started the season well and have some good players. It won't all be plain sailing as it was yesterday. I'd take a draw. (As long as we smash Arsenal in the League Cup.) :-)

Thoughts on this?

They have obviously made a very strong start to the season and going by MOTD they outplayed Chelsea in their own back yard for the first half. Clearly will be a very tough test of our new team, possibly more so than Liverpool on the opening day.

The good news is the physicality of Costa caused them a few problems and I'd like to think Pelle could be equally effective given decent service.

Should we stuff the midfield with Morgan, Cork and Wanyama like we did second half yesterday or go with the more attacking formation and start with Long? Away to a tough side, I'd be tempted to go with the former.

That was the easiest hat-trick Costa will ever score - the Swansea defence left him completely un-marked for each of his goals. If they give Pelle even half the time and space they left for Costa, we should score at least a couple ourselves.

Two of the more attractive sides in the division, although ironically all four PL games we've contested have been stinkers to some degree. This will be a much better test of how good we actually are than that stroll in the park yesterday.

Think our best chance is to try and bully them a bit with Pelle and Long getting in at them up front, Wanyama and Morgan breaking up their attacks and our full backs supporting our attacks where possible but having to be on guard for Routledge and Dyer in particular. A draw would be a perfectly acceptable result.

Will be a good test this, looking forward to it, ill be able to watch this one considering my ankle is in pieces since yesterday.

Personally I wouldnt change much expect for dropping either Cork or Davis for Wanyama. The defence will need more protection from Swansea who like us wont give up the ball cheaply.

Itll be close, probably a draw

What most others said.

Despite our historical superiority, we're two similar clubs these days. Both well thought of by the media. Swansea get praise for their set-up and the ease at which they've been able to withstand managerial transitions, and deserve the plaudits for their recent Cup success. We're supplying footballers of the future. Both teams actually try to play football.

Very pleased to see Garry Monk given a proper chance. He obviously can't call on a glittering playing career for respect and inspiration, but he's put serious effort into his coaching career and has special pull at Swansea on account of his relative achievements with that club.

Hope they do well this season, but not next game. Think it'll be a high-scoring game. Going to go for 4-1 to Saints. Early goal to open up play and give us the chance to counter.

Bookies have the wins at 7/5 and 7/4 respectively atm. They think it's closer.

Edited by pap

Why...

Because that's how we finished the Newcastle match.

I noticed that Koeman wanted to try something. Gardos had too little time, but with a natural left foot he does bring balance.

Toby it would appear can play anywhere, but he does prefer his right foot. Not a natural left centre back, but a quality player can adapt.

Edited by Andy Durman

Koeman's comfort in tinkering with midfield combinations will serve us well here. With all the options available we should be able to find a combination that lets us squeeze their space and hold the ball. Davis will need to be back on his game if he plays.

Cork doesn't deserve to be dropped after his performances in the last few games but I think we need Wanyama here. Playing both of them and Morgan might be the way forward.

I noticed that Koeman wanted to try something. Gardos had too little time, but with a natural left foot he does bring balance.

Toby it would appear can play anywhere, but he does prefer his right foot. Not a natural left centre back, but a quality player can adapt.

this seems to be all the rage lately. A CB that only plays the side of his strongest foot.

never an issue 3-4 years ago, in any league really

Barring injuries I would start with the same team as yesterday. VW is an absolute rock but Swansea have a very mobile and fluid midfield which I think Corky will be able to track more easily.

Thats rubbish. Vic completely nullified them twice last season.

draw IMO

2-2

My team, would swap Wanyama for Davis

Forster

Clyne

Alderweld

Fonte

Bertrand

Big Vic

Morgan

Cork

Long

Pelle

Tadic

Davis/Boruc

Gardos

Targett

Davis

JWP

Mane

Isgrove/McQueen

Much as I like Davis, would go along with this side - Big Vic made such a difference in the second half. Unless Long does something special I'd replace him with Mane in the 2nd half. Gomes looked particularly dangerous for Swansea v Chelsea...a "Lukaku" style of player - and our old friend Nathan Dyer will keep Betrand busy I expect.

Everything I have read, apart from a few posters on here, suggests Gardos is RIGHT footed but happy to play left side - including the link below. I was at the match on Saturday but did not notice his preference, did anyone else?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/florin-gardos/profil/spieler/57423

Everything I have read, apart from a few posters on here, suggests Gardos is RIGHT footed but happy to play left side - including the link below. I was at the match on Saturday but did not notice his preference, did anyone else?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/florin-gardos/profil/spieler/57423

Besides which this left footed right footed combination thing is just rubbish that has spilled over from champ manager plenty of right footer play the left side of the pair perfectly well.

Not so sure Victor Wanyama will start. Like to see Saints get at their back four. The key will be getting the ball forward quickly. That would be Cork.

Wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of VW, MS and JC start, seemed to work well 2nd half vs Newcastle and would be good for a tough away game. Pelle, Tadic and Long up top and give Mane a run out from the bench if he's ready.

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand

Wanyama, Cork, Morgan

Long, Pelle, Tadic

Bench: Kelv(or Boruc?), Gardos, JWP, Davis, Mane, Yoshida, Academy player e.g. Targett/Isgrove/McQueen

Wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of VW, MS and JC start, seemed to work well 2nd half vs Newcastle and would be good for a tough away game. Pelle, Tadic and Long up top and give Mane a run out from the bench if he's ready.

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand

Wanyama, Cork, Morgan

Long, Pelle, Tadic

Bench: Kelv(or Boruc?), Gardos, JWP, Davis, Mane, Yoshida, Academy player e.g. Targett/Isgrove/McQueen

This. 100%