Kevin Davies' Top Ten Football Grounds

Beckenham Saint

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29692/9463493/top-10-football-grounds-in-the-world-selected-by-kevin-davies

Kevin Davies has listed The Dell as one of his top ten football grounds (Above the BMO Field, Goodison Park and Old Trafford). I'm not old enough to have been to the Dell, but it does look amazing in some photos, and I bet the atmosphere was amazing there!

Opposition never really fancied coming to play us at The Dell. It always felt like the crowd were right on top of you and it was literally only two or three steps to the fans. It was an intimidating place but I've got great memories of playing there. A lot of these old stadiums are dying out now, which is a shame because they're so great to play at and you don't get the close proximity to the crowd any more.

Seem to recall Beckham saying how much he disliked coming to the Dell, also because the crowd were right on top of you.

At one stage I had a season ticket for a seat on the very front row. It was so close you could smell the embrocation as the players ran out.

But nostalgia aside, the Dell was well past it by the time we moved, and far too small for a top division side.

It was an incredible place, exciting, charming, electric but ultimately stifling.

Without wishing to get overly sentimental, images of the dell will always remind me of going to my first matches as a kid with my old man. The deafening noise when Matt scored his two goals against Newcastle is something I will never forget. Sure others have similar memories.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29692/9463493/top-10-football-grounds-in-the-world-selected-by-kevin-davies

Kevin Davies has listed The Dell as one of his top ten football grounds (Above the BMO Field, Goodison Park and Old Trafford). I'm not old enough to have been to the Dell, but it does look amazing in some photos, and I bet the atmosphere was amazing there!

God that's scary!!

It was great, but it was past it, many many decades past it. The Le Tiss goal against Arsenal will live with me forever in terms of atmosphere, absolutely superb!

Comprehensive list, I wish I'd been old enough to remember the Dell the one time I was taken there (think I was 4), but we were living in Japan until I was 8 (2001) so not much opportunity to go see Saints until St.Mary's was built! Stade Veledrome is my local ground at the house in France and the atmosphere there is incredible (even if the concrete seats leave something to be desired) and as I'm only 20 minutes away by train I often catch Marseille matches when I'm down there

It was especially atmospheric under lights. And if it had been raining before kick-off but stopped by game time and it was a little cold, you had the added extra bonus of steam rising from the crowd.

Cup games against West Brom and Man City spring to mind as magical nights.

I started going with my old man (now dead, bless him) and our spot was the Milton Road corner under the East Stand. It was populated largely by dockers who would come fresh from the pub and on arrival, light up en masse.

Even now, if I smell smoke from roll-up ciggies, I am transported straight back there.

Of course we had to move as it was hopelessly inadequate for our needs but there was no place like The Dell, and although we deride p****y for Krap Nottarf, I can appreciate why they love it.

At one stage I had a season ticket for a seat on the very front row. It was so close you could smell the embrocation as the players ran out.

You could smell John McGrath's embrocation from the back row in the Milton. Not so sure you couldn't smell it as you got off the Red Funnel ferry :)

I only went to the Dell a few times after it was all-seater (because I moved away and couldn't get tickets easily after KK joined) so have very few memories of the atmosphere then, last time was when I took my daughter for the friendly against Le Havre. She is 21 now and season ticket holder but still recalls dancing in the back row of the East Stand to the half-time music, guess she would have been 8. The wooden stand was literally rocking that evening, not due to too many people though, just rotten wood. Atmosphere in earlier days was electric, the Anderlecht game always sticks in my mind amd also the Vittoria Guimares [sp] one , and also one or two games when we couldn't get in, Manure in the Cup I think it was, watched from the student hall tower block that overlooked the ground, but could not see the west side of the pitch, somewhere around 75-77. Didn't even know the girl whose flat we invaded, my mate just blagged his way in.

It was especially atmospheric under lights. And if it had been raining before kick-off but stopped by game time and it was a little cold, you had the added extra bonus of steam rising from the crowd.

Completely agree - Man City and Leeds in the League Cup run to the final were both incredible night games.

We used to walk up from Shirley first thing on a Saturday morning and would be one of the first in the queue in Archers road. Normally we would be there around 10-10.30 One of the main stewards (present time)at the club was one of our group.

we would stand and wait until the gates open and then get to the front of the terrace. The smell of cigarette smoke and the swaying of the crowd still stays with me now. When the crowd swayed forward you would be pressed against the front wall and try and get your breath until the fans moved back into their place, within seconds another sway happened and again we were pressed up against that wall. Health and safety would do their nuts in nowadays. The home game against Man U when we had a record crowd still is strong in my mind. The crush!!!

Standing so close you could hear the players chat and as others had said you could smell them! I shudder now how we heard Hughie Fishers leg break when Bob Wilson slid out and did him. Lots of memories but never the same when we had seating in the Archers and Milton etc

Personally always thought nostalgia has overstated the dells atmosphere. I started going regularly mid eighties and whilst night games could be something special in general it wasn't that loud at all. The main singing areas were a small group at the back of the Milton and the lower east. With the open terrace of the Milton the noise didn't really travel. In fact I remember an article in one of the paper fanzines from that time saying how poor the atmosphere had become. I expect oppostion players found it intimidating due to the fact the first row of fans were about 5 feet away and could hear every word shouted at them. It might have been different in the 70s but certainly from the 80s onwards apart from big games and some night games where the Dell could be a magical place the atmosphere wasn't like some make out.

Personally always thought nostalgia has overstated the dells atmosphere. I started going regularly mid eighties and whilst night games could be something special in general it wasn't that loud at all. The main singing areas were a small group at the back of the Milton and the lower east. With the open terrace of the Milton the noise didn't really travel. In fact I remember an article in one of the paper fanzines from that time saying how poor the atmosphere had become. I expect oppostion players found it intimidating due to the fact the first row of fans were about 5 feet away and could hear every word shouted at them. It might have been different in the 70s but certainly from the 80s onwards apart from big games and some night games where the Dell could be a magical place the atmosphere wasn't like some make out.

by the 80's the capacity had started to be reduced and seats installed where there had been terraces but also agree that it could be a quiet place at times but there is something in saints fans make up that when atmosphere was/is required the loyal stand up to be counted.

I think going to the Dell was part of a day long experience. In the Haymarket/Warrens/Park Inn/Scullards by about 11am, after bus ride into town, walk to the Dell about 2.30 arriving 2.45, watch game, back to town often via Hill Lane. Bus home, pick up Football Echo at 6pm , Bacon and Egg for tea , then up the Pub or back into town before the Rank later in the evenings. Made friends for live because of football

by the 80's the capacity had started to be reduced and seats installed where there had been terraces but also agree that it could be a quiet place at times but there is something in saints fans make up that when atmosphere was/is required the loyal stand up to be counted.

I think going to the Dell was part of a day long experience. In the Haymarket/Warrens/Park Inn/Scullards by about 11am, after bus ride into town, walk to the Dell about 2.30 arriving 2.45, watch game, back to town often via Hill Lane. Bus home, pick up Football Echo at 6pm , Bacon and Egg for tea , then up the Pub or back into town before the Rank later in the evenings. Made friends for live because of football

So were you a going 'down the Dell' or a going 'up the dell person'? I was the latter.

I think I recall being told I went there for a friendly when I was 5 or something like that but have zero memory of it. First proper game was Saints 1 Charlton 0 in first year at St. Mary's. I was 8 at that point... seems a long time ago now.

That was my first proper Saints game too, Pahars scored the goal IIRC. Sat in the Kingsland/Chapel corner right up in the gods - those stairs felt huge going up them!

That was our first league win at SMS as well, so quite a history one for us to have seen!

I started going regularly around the same time as you '84 was my first season and i personally remember it slightly different. Of course we had our quiet games, midweek against West Ham on one of the first midweek tv games in the premier league springs to mind. Mainly because it was ****ing down with rain and half the Milton were trying to get under the roof.

But compared to St Mary's it was consistently louder, often far wittier and when it wanted to be the place absolutely rocked.

Also i used to love the way the opposition players reacted to getting so close to the crowd, and a few of our took the hit as well. Not to mention Branfoot being pelted down the touchline and the free milk cartoons being launched back onto the pitch when they were given out.

Got to say most of my best mates now were made there, mainly on the milton road terrace - we were always east stand side as close to the roof as possible - but the Archers after the newcastle game where we came back to win 3-1 was pretty damn good too. Back of block five hurling abuse at the aways fans was always a laugh, then onto the tut and shive, pub crawl round the city & invariably end up at a Hammy night getting **** faced to great music.

Can't believe some on here weren't old enough to have experienced it, might explain why a lot of Saints fans aren't as patient as they used to be, or have this obsession with us being a big club.

Those who were there at the time new what we were, little upstarts who could look after themselves and scare the crap out of the big boys when they needed ;)

So were you a going 'down the Dell' or a going 'up the dell person'? I was the latter.

Always going down the Dell for me, took me a long time to not say that about St Mary's too, old habits die hard i guess.

I started going with my old man (now dead, bless him) and our spot was the Milton Road corner under the East Stand. It was populated largely by dockers who would come fresh from the pub and on arrival, light up en masse.

Even now, if I smell smoke from roll-up ciggies, I am transported straight back there.

Of course we had to move as it was hopelessly inadequate for our needs but there was no place like The Dell, and although we deride p****y for Krap Nottarf, I can appreciate why they love it.

The 1977 Cup replay versus Forest was pretty special as well.

Know exactly what you mean about the cigarette smoke!

The stroll back to the station along Hill Lane was quite often quite lively to say the least!!

I started going regularly around the same time as you '84 was my first season and i personally remember it slightly different. Of course we had our quiet games, midweek against West Ham on one of the first midweek tv games in the premier league springs to mind. Mainly because it was ****ing down with rain and half the Milton were trying to get under the roof.

But compared to St Mary's it was consistently louder, often far wittier and when it wanted to be the place absolutely rocked.

Also i used to love the way the opposition players reacted to getting so close to the crowd, and a few of our took the hit as well. Not to mention Branfoot being pelted down the touchline and the free milk cartoons being launched back onto the pitch when they were given out.

Got to say most of my best mates now were made there, mainly on the milton road terrace - we were always east stand side as close to the roof as possible - but the Archers after the newcastle game where we came back to win 3-1 was pretty damn good too. Back of block five hurling abuse at the aways fans was always a laugh, then onto the tut and shive, pub crawl round the city & invariably end up at a Hammy night getting **** faced to great music.

Can't believe some on here weren't old enough to have experienced it, might explain why a lot of Saints fans aren't as patient as they used to be, or have this obsession with us being a big club.

Those who were there at the time new what we were, little upstarts who could look after themselves and scare the crap out of the big boys when they needed ;)

Always going down the Dell for me, took me a long time to not say that about St Mary's too, old habits die hard i guess.

I'm not saying it didn't have it's moments, as I said night games could be electric and It's a hell of a lot better than st Mary's is. I loved the dell and everything about it but taking the nostalgia away most weeks it was pretty average with the only noise coming from the back of the Milton and east stand terrace

Only managed to get tickets for matches at The Dell when my mates considered me worthy enough. Hadn't long been into football (seriously late developer) when I moved to Southampton. I remember my first impression of match day. Joined a huddled queue of around thirty people shuffling into what resembled the back entrance to someone lock up. Had been past this door many times and thought it was a delivery door or something. The first word's I uttered were It's a bit scruffy, have never lived it down.

My dad took me to my first game there, mid week against Villa. I was 4 and moaned the whole way through till eventually we left just before injury time and Le Tissier blasted in a free kick to win 2-1, remember hearing the stadium erupt as we left. Dad didn't take me back for a while after that!

Block Q Row 4 seat 197.

We left when I was about 12 but I was lucky enough to have had a ST from 5 or 6 in Junior Saints (proper JS too, none of the crap now, that's if it still exists), I still love driving down Milton Road and remembering the place. I'm just thankful I was just about old enough for it all to sink in.

My dad took me to my first game there, mid week against Villa. I was 4 and moaned the whole way through till eventually we left just before injury time and Le Tissier blasted in a free kick to win 2-1, remember hearing the stadium erupt as we left. Dad didn't take me back for a while after that!

Spink was in goal wasn't he? That was a cracking night.

I was just moving down to the front of the Milton ready to give Branfoot some abuse when Horne hit that injury time screamer! :)

I was straight out of the East Stand and onto the pitch for that one. The bundles were still going on when I got back on the terrace. You couldn't beat walking out on to the terrace for a night Cup game and seeing the brilliant green of the pitch. Special memories.

First game was v Bristol Rovers (I think), Boxing Day 1975 - I was ["very young"]. And of course that was THE Cup season. I feel privileged to have seen that team.

Mainly saw games during Chris Nicholl's first year in charge (85-86?). Memories include Shilts yelling "George...GEORGE" at George Lawrence ALL the time, poor fella; also Saints v Man Utd in the snow with an orange ball - won 1-0, still got the programme somewhere.

The Dell was a fantastic atmosphere, but my 2 matches at St Mary's (v West Brom and Everton-with-Rooney), has amazing atmosphere too, both in Northam stand so right among all you good singers/chanters...!! :uhoh:

Oh, and I was a 'forest' lad too so it was 'up the Dell' for me.

You could smell John McGrath's embrocation from the back row in the Milton. Not so sure you couldn't smell it as you got off the Red Funnel ferry :)

Brian O'Neill told me about Big Jake's pre-match ritual.

From his black kit bag, he would take two jars, one containing honey and a jar of Vick's Vapour rub.

Seconds before the team went out, he would dip his fingers in the honey jar and drip the contents down his throat. He would then dip his fingers in the Vick's vapour rub and rub it into his 'nads.

As the Vick's began to take effect on his tender parts, he would let out a huge roar like a bull, and charge out of the door and down the tunnel to play.

Fond memories of the Dell here too from the late '80's to mid '90's when I used to go all the time until going to Uni. Have lived up North ever since.

I was first taken up the Dell by my grandad and then a family friend (my parents still hate football). My first game was a 1-nil win against Arsenal. I remember being more afraid of the Saints fans around me than anything else.

Even then the Dell was no place for a shrinking violet. Quite a few times I had some close shaves with fellow supporters, on one occasion literally for breathing wrong - seriously. As I got into it more into my late teens I found my identity and a place at the back of the Milton with the muppets. A few of us from Applemore school in the New Forest used to go over on the bus and make a day of it.

Happy days. All a bit too sterile and expensive nowadays. I have to pick carefully which games I can afford to go to but at least I feel safe taking my son. I'm still a bit of a shrinking violet it seems :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked the August midweek games, where a normally nice sunny day gave way to a pleasant evening, nice new lush grass accentuated by the floodlights as twilight turned into the purple of night!

Bolton home first home game of the season 1978 (2-2) was just such an evening and a lasting memory of those balmy August evenings................... and boy did Frank Worthington stink of embrocation (how the chuff he pulled so many birds stinking like that had a teenage nipper slightly confused).

Take my kid to SMS now and feel so sorry for him. He'll never really know what it's like to beat Liverpool 4-1 in a place like The Dell, or as everyone says, those midweek cup nights and he'll never see MLT.

he sits in a seat like its a theatre or cinema, glad I was never introduced to football in this way, find it hard to imagine him getting a real passion in the same way you got Under The East Stand.