Arsenal vs Saints Thread

SNSUN

The bookies really fancy us tomorrow. Arsenal are barely odds-on (1.95 on 365) and we're as short as 4.2. If I recall Arsenal have drifted out from around 1.61 yesterday (or maybe even shorter) so they must be very confident that Wenger will try and get away with playing some of his kids.

Really fancy us? We are 4/1 in 3 horse race - that is the outsider.

Wenger is in the Metro claiming that had we not sold our best players in the last few years, we would have won the title. Well durrrr, but it's not so easy in the lower leagues when we needed the money from the Bale and Oxo sales. Not to mention we perhaps wouldn't have seen the likes of Lallana's talent reaching fruition. Anyway the best thing to do is learn from it, stay in the Premier League and keep faith in the youngsters in the future.

As for tonight, beat Arsenal and we must surely be considered one of the favourites for the competition even at this early stage. To be fair though, as long as we give them a hell of a game, I'm not massively worried if we go out. We could lose to worse teams.

Edited by SNSUN

Wenger is in the Metro claiming that had we not sold our best players in the last few years, we would have won the title. Well durrrr, but it's not so easy in the lower leagues when we needed the money from the Bale and Oxo sales. Not to mention we perhaps wouldn't have seen the likes of Lallana's talent reaching fruition. Anyway the best thing to do is learn from it, stay in the Premier League and keep faith in the youngsters in the future.

As for tonight, beat Arsenal and we must surely be considered one of the favourites for the competition even at this early stage. To be fair though, as long as we give them a hell of a game, I'm not massively worried if we go out. We could lose to worse teams.

Arsene could say the same thing about Arsenal (Cesc, RVP, etc) with the added bonus of it being true.

ARSENAL (probable): Ospina; Bellerin, Chambers, Hayden, Coquelin, Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Campbell, Podolski, Alexis

Not a bad lineup in all with some clear talents in attack. Should be a good even game.

Good attack, inexperienced defence. If that's the team, It has echoes of United's problems this season. There'll definitely be goals tonight IMO.

Not expecting Koeman to do a Pochettino. I think he'll take this game seriously and adopt his usual approach of continuity. May make a couple of unforced changes but nothing wholesale IMO. If Arsenal do play less than their strongest team, I can see Saints getting a result.

My Arsenal pal is saying a numbers of their players have knocks/injuries, expects them to be rested and their youngsters/reserves to play (Akpom? Zelalem?).

Koeman is saying he will field the strongest side he can.

Interestingly the betting has seen Saints shorten from 6/1 for a win (available last week - I'm on!) to 3/1 this morning.

We can win this! COYS!

Edited by KK the 2nd

ARSENAL (probable): Ospina; Bellerin, Chambers, Hayden, Coquelin, Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Campbell, Podolski, Alexis

Not a bad lineup in all with some clear talents in attack. Should be a good even game.

Really cant see Alexis, not with the derby at the weekend and CL next week. Bench at most?

I'd be surprised if Chambers started, if he gets injured they are screwed.

1 card from suspension as well apparently. Doubt he will play. To already have 4 yellow cards shows he is out of his depth where Wenger is using him.

As for the game. There are Arsenal fans at work who think that even with the reported weakened squad they will comfortably beat our first team... I mean they literally have no shadow of doubt over that fact.

Hope we smash them. Pelle, Tadic and Mane up front for at least an hour. Wanyama, Morgan and Cork in the centre, Solid back line with good rotation and Forster in goal.

A good win over Arsenal will do wonders for further building are burgeoning team belief!

I'm going to take a leaf out that Scottish blokes book and whack £900k on Arsenal progressing tonight. That way I'll either be happy with the extra cash, or happy Saints have gone through to the next round. (But homeless and with broken kneecaps from the loan sharks.)

Wenger needs to win Cups as he has no chance of winning the league and the usual cop-out of a top 4 finish won't satisfy the fans or management for much longer so whatever his starting XI you must expect Wenger to turn the screw second half if we get off to a good start and they go 1-0 down. No way he will let this one slide out of his grasp so if we want to win it we will need to outplay them for 90 minutes. Can't see that happening myself especially up there. Wenger won't want a draw for obvious reasons so sadly 3-2 or 2-1 to them looks about how it will end up.

If anyone's as sad, or as impatient, as me - you can check the view from your seat on the arsenal / emirates website

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1332[/ATTACH]

Similar to that, here's a representation of my view for this evening, subject to getting a stream:

DSC02264.jpg

Wenger needs to win Cups as he has no chance of winning the league and the usual cop-out of a top 4 finish won't satisfy the fans or management for much longer so whatever his starting XI you must expect Wenger to turn the screw second half if we get off to a good start and they go 1-0 down. No way he will let this one slide out of his grasp so if we want to win it we will need to outplay them for 90 minutes. Can't see that happening myself especially up there. Wenger won't want a draw for obvious reasons so sadly 3-2 or 2-1 to them looks about how it will end up.

It goes to pens if it's a draw, right? (although I guess Wenger won't want extra time)