Premier League so far

Batman

Early days yet but the league is starting to take some sort of shape

Starters, I was WAY off when I predicted 19th :blush:

But as the league takes shape, things are becoming clearer. Chelsea will win the league (if costa stays fit)

united will get champions league (IMO) ahead of liverpool

Liverpool have done a spurs. Despite the media VVank fest every day. And how they say rogers is some sort of genius man manager. they will fluff it this year and finish 5th

MP will have typical season for spurs. Flirt with the CL but end up 6 or 7th...

The bottom 6 will probably be the bottom 6 today (with maybe 1 team that goes into free fall...villa?)

I think Burnley will go down. They will give it a bloody good go but they just wont score enough

QPR to go. Ferdinand is terrible and arry just seems to blame everyone and everything else

3rd to go....toughie. maybe sunderland but probably WBA.....also, think leicester will be fine

Saints....well, if we dont sell anyone this year and rodriguez comes back by end of year (when Mane goes to Africa)....I think we will be best of the rest again...

Barry Glendenning had quite a bit to say about Rodgers at the beginning of last season. He wondered aloud if Brendan might be some kind of snake-oil salesman, and then was utterly proved wrong by Liverpool's arresting climb up the Premier League. Watching them this season, you'd have to give that opinion a bit of a reprieve. He has bought horribly, is too scared to drop Stevie G (most LFC fans aren't) and will be sacked if things don't turn around.

Chelsea look awesome but Costa is a suspension or ban waiting to happen. He's already gotten away with quite a lot. He'll eventually rub a ref up the wrong way or get caught bang to rights doing one of his more cynical challenges and will leave the officials with no choice.

Don't think MP will finish the season.

Pretty much agree with all of that. To achieve 8th again would be a massive achievement, but with the start we've had, there's no reason to believe we can't go one better and maybe leapfrog Everton in to 7th. Excited by what J-Rod and Mane can bring to the side.

I said 8th again and I'm sticking to it. This team has shown it can win ugly against quality opposition (Swansea) and turn on the flair when appropriate (Newcastle). Plus we now have the depth of squad which we lacked last year.

Really looking forward to seeing Mane on the pitch.

An injury or suspension to Diego Costa, and Man City finding some rythym could still make it an interesting title race. It clearly isn't going to be as good as last season, but could still be a good one.

I'd love to see Spurs and/or Liverpool have shockers this season. And QPR, another relegation could easily ruin them. They're a disgracefully run club and I hope we stick the knife in next weekend and batter them.

It's definitely Chelsea's year, closely followed by Man City, with Man Utd and Arsenal ... the "normal" top four.

I can't see Liverpool finishing as high as 5th if they don't change and get a bit of luck - it's also annoying we had them first as I'm pretty sure that we would turn them over now, but hey ho. We will be top 10 and if we have a bit of luck, keep free of key injuries (Tadic, Forster, Bertrand, Fonte etc.) then I don't see why we couldn't crack 6th. As I said, IF we get a bit of luck.

Chelsea to win the league for me.

I think if Liverpool pick up a couple of injuries they will struggle to make the top 6.

Man Utd will start picking up points and I predict they will finish just behind City in 3rd.

Arsenal 4th, Everton 5th, Saints 6th:), Liverpool 7th, Spurs 8th (Poch sacked).

Relegated: QPR, Burnley, West Brom.

Happy days.

Agree totally that Chelsea look the biz. United have a problem at the back that they need to sort out. Nice to see Liverpool struggle but still early days and surely they must improve (?). Would be more than happy with 8th but if Ron can find a way to take the points off of all the dross - who knows. I think we will do better against the top teams this season. QPR, Burnley and Palace to go down. Maybe WBA instead of Palace.

Newcastle could go if they get the Managerial situation wrong.

Not got a very deep squad, and aside from Cisse when he can be arsed have no natural finishers.

Saints in great shape for a good season now. Think Pelle staying fit is huge in terms of where we finish as we have no natural replacement for him as the focal point of the team.

Will be very interested to see how we manage that very tough period in December/Jan. Would be great to get a couple of good home wins versus the top sides.

Plus we now have the depth of squad which we lacked last year.

We don't, we really don't. Look at the bench yesterday. We are two or three injuries away from the exact same situation as last year. We may be down to 2 fit CBs this week, no decent backup keeper, no backup RB (if Toby is injured), thin up front until JRod is back in January. No creative MF if Tadic is missing. We have a much smaller squad than last season. Our first XI (or may XV) are very good, as good as if not better than last season, but there is no way anyone can justify that we have a stronger squad or more depth.

I think this season looks very open outside of the top 2. Chelsea should win comfortably with citeh second. Arsenal will probably be third. If wenger ever got the concept of replacing vieira they would be able to challenge, but as long as he picks 5 pretty ball playing midfielders that will be their limit. Thereafter it's anyone's guess. United has a frightening front line and a frightful defence, with a mediocre midfield. Liverpool will do nothing with gerrard as their anchor man, and with champions league games as well will falter badly. Spurs and Everton will be hampered by the Europa league, I fancy Everton as the best bet for 4th though. Given our start, our squad depth, and a bit of luck I actually think we could pip one or two of those teams and finish even higher than last season.

At the bottom, I'd probably go for burnley, palace and qpr just now, but Sunderland, Newcastle and west brom all look poor. Swansea, stoke and hull are our most likely challengers for 'best of the rest', with villa, west ham and Leicester possibly flirting with danger, but ultimately being safe.

We don't, we really don't. Look at the bench yesterday. We are two or three injuries away from the exact same situation as last year. We may be down to 2 fit CBs this week, no decent backup keeper, no backup RB (if Toby is injured), thin up front until JRod is back in January. No creative MF if Tadic is missing. We have a much smaller squad than last season. Our first XI (or may XV) are very good, as good as if not better than last season, but there is no way anyone can justify that we have a stronger squad or more depth.

We have more depth at centre back. Where Gardos came on yesterday it would have been Jos last year.

Agree keeper situation could bite us on the arse as IMO Davis isnt good enough at this level and we would struggle to win tough matches with him playing.

Mane will add options.

Chelsea to win the title ahead of Citeh for me (but then I said the same last season too)

I think Utd will come 3rd with the Arse 4th

Burnley will, unfortunately, definitely drop, with 2 of QPR (please God), Palace, WBA and Newcastle

As for Saints, I predicted 10th-12th before the season. We have had a better start than I thought we would, with our only poor performance being in the match I was at (WBA). My main concern was, and is, our squad depth. We only had 3 players on the bench yesterday who are good enough (imo) to play in the PL. They are the 3 who came on. Yes, I know were missing Toby, JRod (who we knew would be missing until January) and Mane (who has yet to show what he can do). The reality is though that we do not have much strength in depth. If Pelle gets injured we have no one to lead the line; if Forster gets injured we can recall Boruc - but only after the first month is up; I could go on. We started well last season and then came unstuck with a lot on key injuries at the same time. I hope the same doesn't happen this time. If not, we COULD finish as high as 7th - but I will now go for 8th-10th.

I fully agree with this; which is why I was very surprised, and disappointed, that we let Gaston go on a season long loan.

Clearly we have a much deeper squad you utter spastics. We're second with our best CB, best striker, and most expensive midfielder all out and players like Wanyama and Gardos are still struggling to get a game. Our squad is class apart from GK cover, an extra striker until Jays back would've been nice but then we'd have had too many when he's back.

What a load of rubbish.

GK - same.

CB - assuming Gardos is better than Hooiveld we have more depth at CB.

RB - Clyne/Chambers, Clyne/TA = same.

LB - Shaw/Targett, Bertrand/Targett - same but with Targett a year stronger.

CM - same.

Striker - last season it was Lambert or Gallagher (Osvaldo for a short period). This season Pelle, Long or Gallagher could play the central role so probably stronger given Osvaldo's limited shelf life.

Attacking midfielder / wing - Lallana, Ramirez, Rodriguez vs. Tadic, Rodriguez, Mane, Long. Unless Mane turns out bad we should be stronger, especially as Gaston is never fit.

Mane to come in, Jrod to come back, Alderwireld should be back next weekend (according to Adam Blackmore via Koeman I think.) Ward-Prowse and Yoshida both only took minor knocks, so team and bench will look better vs QPR.

Our depth this season is much better than last. The bench looked weak on saturday, but still had space for two first team regulars in Wanyama and Davies from midfield and Gardos who looks a solid addition on yesterdays showing. There was little attacking threat on the bench but with Mane to come in that will change and Rodriguez to come back (mid December) then we will look better for it. Our defensive options this year are very healthy and the midfield is possibly one of the best for competition in the league. Think options up top aren't too much cause for concern either, as we have Pelle, Long, Mane, Tadic at the minute plus Rodriguez and even Gallagher to return...

We only used 22 players in the league last year, so competition for places wasn't very good at all. We've already used 17 different players so far in the league this year but that number will go up when players like Rodriguez, Mane, Reed, Targett, McQueen and Gallagher get game time. Our squad figures are about the same as last year, but I think the quality of the players is better - instead of Hooiveld on the bench we have Gardos, instead of Reed we have Wanyama, instead of Mayuka it will be Mane or Long... It's all looking good! :)

Edited by Beckenham Saint

Mane to come in, Jrod to come back, Alderwireld should be back next weekend (according to Adam Blackmore via Koeman I think.) Ward-Prowse and Yoshida both only took minor knocks, so team and bench will look better vs QPR.

Our depth this season is much better than last. The bench looked weak on saturday, but still had space for two first team regulars in Wanyama and Davies from midfield and Gardos who looks a solid addition on yesterdays showing. There was little attacking threat on the bench but with Mane to come in that will change and Rodriguez to come back (mid December) then we will look better for it. Our defensive options this year are very healthy and the midfield is possibly one of the best for competition in the league. Think options up top aren't too much cause for concern either, as we have Pelle, Long, Mane, Tadic at the minute plus Rodriguez and even Gallagher to return...

We only used 22 players in the league last year, so competition for places wasn't very good at all. We've already used 17 different players so far in the league this year but that number will go up when players like Rodriguez, Mane, Reed, Targett, McQueen and Gallagher get game time. Our squad figures are about the same as last year, but I think the quality of the players is better - instead of Hooiveld on the bench we have Gardos, instead of Reed we have Wanyama, instead of Mayuka it will be Mane or Long... It's all looking good! :)

This is how to have a mature, grown up, debate.

Clearly we have a much deeper squad you utter spastics. We're second with our best CB, best striker, and most expensive midfielder all out and players like Wanyama and Gardos are still struggling to get a game. Our squad is class apart from GK cover, an extra striker until Jays back would've been nice but then we'd have had too many when he's back.

This is how to be an offensive little child.

Let's look at those who have left and their replacements:

GK:

Boruc - Forster An improvement, imo, but still no good back-up. Hopefully, Forster won't get injured for at least a month and we are able to recall Boruc if does so after then.

Defence:

Shaw - Bertrand I like Bertrand and hope we make his move permanent; but I don't think he is quite as good as Shaw

Lovren - Alderweireld Hopefully Toby will prove to be every bit as good as Lovren, hopefully.

Hoiveld - Gardos Hopefully Gardos will prove to be an improvement on Jos. On first appearances, it seems so.

Chambers - Not replaced

Midfield/Fwd:

Lallana - Tadic Seems very like for like

Guly - Long An improvement

Lmabert - Pelle Similar abilities

Osvaldo - Mane Hopefully an improvement; certainly appears to be able to play in more positions

Ramirez - No replacement

JRod - We knew would be missing until the end of the year; could have addressed this, imo

Of course, others may see the new arrivals as replacements for different players. But which ever way you look at it we are 2 players lighter and did not take the opportunity to bring in cover for a player we knew would be missing for half the season. This does not, imo, equate to a stronger squad.

I honestly believe we run the risk of a few injuries to senior players at the same time ruining our season, as it did last time. One should always learn from past mistakes......

Well we're a quarter of the way to safety and for the second season running not having to play catch-up. I'd say we are similar in strength to last season but whether that is good enough to match last season's achievements is debatable. I do think though, Koeman will prove to be an even better manager than Poch and if we can keep hold of him, Morgan and J-Rod and add in January and again in the closed season then we definitely have a chance to challenge for the Europa Cup places and the knock out cup competitions.

Early days yet but the league is starting to take some sort of shape

Starters, I was WAY off when I predicted 19th :blush:.

I shouldn't worry too much, you're not the only one, but one of the first to come on and own up to it.....

Many decades of following football have taught me that I don't prognosticate on potential League positions until after about game 7 or 8....

......and so despite our very promising start and MU and L'pool very poor showing, I won't change my methods now, but I'll return to this after the next international break..

nevertheless it's an interesting thread to have ....THX.