How did Gardos look yesterday?

Bad Wolf

Looked very assured' date=' comfortable on the ball, brought it out of defence into their half on a few occasions, passing was kept simple and accurate, but he was playing against 10 men, and no recognised forward. I was quietly impressed though, certainly looks like competition for Alderweireld.[/quote']

Looks like competition for Fonte too. A good mover with a really nice right foot; passed well, very athletic and could clearly play as a right side CB if needed. Didn't have enough to do aerially to judge him on that facet, but the early indications are all good.

I think he's more likely going to be competition for Fonte. Alderweireld hasn't left Madrid to sit on our bench.
Koeman is going tohave some tough decisions to make on who the first choice CBs are soon, Fonte has been excellent so far as well and is captain. Not a bad problem to have though.

Going to make a bold claim here, but so far i think Fonte has been the best cb in the prem this season. Kompany, cahill etc will undoubtably out perform him come seasons end but so far his performances have been top, top class.

Agree with this.

Fonte has so far played with 3 partners over 6 games, and the defence looks solid.

Anyone who thinks Fonte (also our captain) is going to be benched for Gardos or Toby wants their bumps felt.

Don't think it'll be too long before we see Gardos and Alderweireld as the CB partnership…

People continue to predict Fonte losing his place, and he continues to step up and prove them wrong. He's been excellent.

True and long may it continue. Think RK sees Alderweireld as a definite starter and thought Gardos was maybe brought in to partner him but all the time Fonte plays well he deserves to keep his place. Good to have four decent CB's all vying for a starting spot; if anyone can pick out the best pairing as an ex CB it should be RK…

What a position to be in with our four CBs - Toby and Gardos both look very handy, Fonte's been outstanding so far and is rightfully our captain, and Yoshida has improved hugely since he joined us, he's gained real confidence in his abilities. Unlike last year where a CB getting injured was a disaster, this year it shouldn't affect us too much at all.

Don't think it'll be too long before we see Gardos and Alderweireld as the CB partnership…

agree here.

Jos has gone - on loan yes,( but is OOC next summer).

Yoshida blows a bit hot and cold, plays OK sometimes, but then again .......

finally Jose Fonte, (bless him), a great club servant is 31 now ?...and will have to play very well to stay in the frame from now on.

People continue to predict Fonte losing his place, and he continues to step up and prove them wrong. He's been excellent.

I have to say I would have been first in line to give him the chop at the start of the season but he has been excellent so far this season. Got a bit sloppy with a couple of passes against Swansea but as a pure defender he has been faultless so far.

As others have said he didn't exactly have much work to do yesterday. Probably best to play him against Arsenal in order to get an idea of how good he really is defensively. If he turns into a decent player (maybe he already is), I wouldn't be surprised to see him start some games with Toby at RCB. Shame to lose Fonte. That's the way any business operates. You can't argue with results. But that's just speculation on my behalf.

Wow, this guy is unbelievably cool. I expected a Mertesacker-type (lanky, clumsy but good in the air), but he seems quite agile and alert in his game. Quite a cool partnership with Fonte. Toby has a great reputation and has looked good so far, and Yoshida hasn't let us down this season, so I am strangely relaxed about our CB situation.

I thought he looked decent on saturday without really been tested at all defensively. Tonight he really confirmed that, won most things in the air and on the ground, much quicker than you might expect, and did a good job of defending the box along with Fonte once we were under a bit of pressure. Didn't mess around with it in the way that Lovren sometimes used to do either (e.g spurs away). Overall very promising

One of the best things about the way the club is being run and the philosophy of football that we've embraced and maintained is that throughout the past two seasons, every single player (at least in the first XI) has been completely comfortable on the ball (Jos and Fox probably being the last two who weren't). Its allowed us to play a beautiful, passing style and be comfortable giving the ball to anyone on the pitch. Anyone in attack can one-two it off any one of his teammates and at the back you can be cool and calm knowing that you're not putting anyone under pressure he can't handle by giving him the ball in a slightly awkward position.

Gardos, being a 6'4'' centre half really is a testament to that philosophy. Cool as a choc-ice; hard as nails. Looks terrific.

Looked excellent tonight but there were 2 occasions when he tried little flicks when Arsenal were attacking with pace and numbers when the sensible option was to just kick it up for Pelle or even out of touch.

But they were literally the only two dodgy moments, and they were both in the first half. Obviously learnt from it.

I don't envy Koeman when Fonte, Gardos and Alderweireld are all 100% match fit (I don't think all three of them have been 100% at the same time yet, have they?)

Arguably, Gardos and Alderweireld are our best two CBs (on paper), so will be interesting to see if Koeman ever drops Fonte in favour of playing both of them from time to time, or whether Fonte is considered the mainstay/linchpin because of his status as captain.

I don't envy Koeman when Fonte, Gardos and Alderweireld are all 100% match fit (I don't think all three of them have been 100% at the same time yet, have they?)

Arguably, Gardos and Alderweireld are our best two CBs (on paper), so will be interesting to see if Koeman ever drops Fonte in favour of playing both of them from time to time, or whether Fonte is considered the mainstay/linchpin because of his status as captain.

I wonder if he'll ever tinker with a 3 at the back setup as well? We've got the tools for it.

Also worth remembering that Toby is also seen as RB cover and also DM cover, so there will be plenty of opportunities for both I reckon.