Fair play to Chambers

St Neel

I think i saw him come over and applaud the away fans at the end of the game. Can anyone else confirm?

He didnt have to do that, esoecially after the boos he got during the game.

We shouldnt boo him anymore, he's a good young player, he's moved on and so have we.

Yeah he did come over after chamberlain did. Nice touch especially after the treatment he got. Wondered whether Chamberlain would as it's been easy for him and Walcott do do it so far as they have not lost (easy be gracious when your winning) but credit to him came over and applauded the same as he has done everytime we have lost or drawn.

Had an argument with a bloke in front of me who was booing him. He then clapped Chamberlain when he came on.
I don't have a problem with anyone booing Chambers (it is football after all), but why so many feel the need to give a raucous round of applause to Chamberlain in the middle of a tight game.

He came over and applauded. No idea why we booed him. He spent years at our academy, and then behaved as you might expect any 19 year old to in that situation and didn't make a bit public meal of it either. Sure, there's no need to sing his name or whatever, but I thought the booing was a bit off to be honest for someone who put in a lot of decent shifts for us last season and then got us a hefty profit at the end of it.

He came over and applauded. No idea why we booed him. He spent years at our academy, and then behaved as you might expect any 19 year old to in that situation and didn't make a bit public meal of it either. Sure, there's no need to sing his name or whatever, but I thought the booing was a bit off to be honest for someone who put in a lot of decent shifts for us last season and then got us a hefty profit at the end of it.

Plus, unlike the others, he clearly made the right decision in going. He has played more at arsenal than he would have played for us. We were not going to make him our number 2 or 3 or even 4 center back.

I don't have a problem with anyone booing Chambers (it is football after all), but why so many feel the need to give a raucous round of applause to Chamberlain in the middle of a tight game.

According to the chap in front it's different because Chamberlain had 2 chances to leave before he joined Arsenal. Yes mate, those 2 bids that Cortese accepted. They were all over the news at the time, we all remember them right?

Why does Chambers deserve our eternal blessing? Because he is young and naive? He jumped ship at the very first opportunity. In the big picture, he contributed nothing to Southampton. I have no issue whatsoever with people booing him if they think it might unsettle him and help our cause. He kept getting caught on the ball tonight (although he was dominant in the air).

Jesus.....If we'd have lost this would be a different. Our job as fans is to get behind OUR players not theres. When we were booing him, he ****ed up a few times. Surely this means we should keep booing him? He left for the money, saints wouldn't have sold him but the offer was to good.

When Ox came on he got more cheers from than saints fans than long did......I thought we'd moved on?

As much as I love our support sometimes we've got some deluded fans. In my opinion and not just cause I had 1 too many lager beers today, they all deserve ****.

Ox and Walcott should have done much more with their careers by now, someone need to have a word with Arsenals medical team. (not that we should give a ****)

Why does Chambers deserve our eternal blessing? Because he is young and naive? He jumped ship at the very first opportunity. In the big picture, he contributed nothing to Southampton. I have no issue whatsoever with people booing him if they think it might unsettle him and help our cause. He kept getting caught on the ball tonight (although he was dominant in the air).

Agree.

I booed both Chambers and Chamberlain. Got a few funny looks for it early on as well. Very confusing. Getting cheered by both sets of fans probably settled Chamberlain down FFS. We should be abusing every ex saint and getting stuck into them from the first minute. Especially rats like these two. These are two players who USED our brilliant academy, gave us 6-12 months service (compared to the years of development/education we offered them) and ****ed off at the first attempt. I booed and abused last night and I will do it again when they come to St Mary's.

No problem with booing during the game when a player touches the ball. Its almost like when the villain comes on stage in a pantomime. It has some comedy value.

But if he took the trouble to come over and applaud once hostilities were over, in a game we had won anyway, thats plain f**king brain-dead...

Why did he come over to applaud Saints fans?

Was it because he loved us so much? If so, then he should be wearing the stripes. No, it's this new thing, like not celebrating a goal you score against a previous club you have played for, that players do not want to alienate the fans of previous clubs. God knows why. Maybe it is this social media thing and an attempt to stop trolls. He didn't see his future with us. Some might remember this: http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/chambers-commits-to-saints-958138.aspx and then less than a year later he was gone. He dumped us. And people criticise those that boo him!!! Personally I wouldn't have, but I wouldn't criticise others (I reserved that for those booing Pelle after 1 game).

It's like being dumped by your girlfriend and them coming out and saying "but we can still be friends". Yea right!!

Booing some 19 year old kid just makes us look tinpot. I very much doubt it unsettled him, that was more down to the ability of our attacking players and the inexperience of his fellow defenders.

Also he didn't just leave Saints. We got £16 million pounds for him. Our Academy uses players just like they apparently use us. Spot the talent, bring them through, sell the odd one for big money. Reinvest. That's what we do.

No problem with booing during the game when a player touches the ball. Its almost like when the villain comes on stage in a pantomime. It has some comedy value.

But if he took the trouble to come over and applaud once hostilities were over, in a game we had won anyway, thats plain f**king brain-dead...

^ This.

No problem with the Chambers booing. I felt for him as a young man, but not as a millionaire footballer who didn't see his future at SFC.

This is the first time many had come across a defector so he got both barrels, exorcising the summer of hurt.

What annoyed me more was a ***** in front of me singing 'oh Robin Van Persie' as a response to the Arsenal fans singing to Carzorla, a few people even joined in with him. Saying that one was an obvious simpleton and the other was a drunk women who would have sang 'I wanna be fu#ked by my granddad' if it had a catchy tune. Another **** thought he would counter Arsenals 'stand up if you hate Tottenham' with 'stand up if you love Tottenham' ffs.

Booing of Chambers is nothing compared with those two village idiots.

Wasn't really booed much in first half, but started second half. Seem to remember him running ball out of play under pressure from Pelle and getting ironic cheers which woke up the Arsenal fans from the coma they were in most of the game, who cheered next time he won a header so we started giving him some stick.

Booing some 19 year old kid just makes us look tinpot. I very much doubt it unsettled him, that was more down to the ability of our attacking players and the inexperience of his fellow defenders.

Also he didn't just leave Saints. We got £16 million pounds for him. Our Academy uses players just like they apparently use us. Spot the talent, bring them through, sell the odd one for big money. Reinvest. That's what we do.

Pretty much this for those who are saying 'he contributed nothing'; he's pretty much dedicated his life since he was 8 or 9 years old to being a professional footballer, I'm sure his family (brothers/sisters etc.) have made massive sacrifices to support this. Everybody wants to do it, some people even think they could it, but it's given to very few to have the right combination of talent, support, opportunity, luck and above all determination and hard work to make a go of it. He's moved on, we've brought in Gardos and Toby with the proceeds and freed up a permanent place for Clyne, and with something to spare too - what's not to like?

If I had been there last night (gutted that I wasn't) I would have panto-booed him every time he went near the ball and then given him a clap when he came over at the end. And that's it now, done.. I can't stand the way Theo and Ox come over after every game and we (some of us, not me) cheer them more than we cheer our own players, weird.

I thought he looked a bit dodgy last night myself. A few dodgy headers, poor control on a couple of occasions. He seemed to be the experienced head back there in a completely inexperienced back 4, so it may be harsh to judge him on that...but he didn't look amazing, not £16m amazing anyway.

When Theo left as he was the hottest property in World football for his age (from 14 was being scouted by Barca, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool etc) and we were facing admin in the Championship. Time seems to have faded people's memories of just how utterly reliant we were on a 16 year old kid at the time, his speed, finishing and complete fearlessness scared the life out of the sides we were up against. He left as we were desperate for money to pay debts (unlike the Skates, we wanted to pay them) on good terms and with the prospect of training with Henry. Most people accepted it was a good deal for all parties at the time.

That and his Missus' old man was the Mayor here and she worked in some earring shop in the Marlands - local girl, fair play.

Chamberlain I've never had the same regard for. The deal we got was brilliant at the time, that before the "Cortese tax" of £50k every time he plays 60mins + (I love that, love or hate him that was classic Cortese). That said he can't be classified as anywhere near as disloyal as the recent mob of defectors.

Anyway, I'm proud of the fact Theo and Ox make such an effort to thank our support, shows the grounding we gave them which, in my opinion, is one of the reasons our Academy is so successful, attitude off the pitch is focused on as much as ability on it. Theo especially epitomises this and I hope one day we can persuade him to "come home".

Lallana is a greedy **** and will get both barrels if he tries anything remotely similar btw.

Pleased to hear he didn't get a good reception but still don't understand why Chamberlain (and Walcott) do. Neither deserve it and both left us at the first chance they got just like Chambers.

I think the fact that Walcott and Chamberlain left when we were lower leagues is a big difference. When rats like Chambers jump ship at the first chance even though we are in the Premier League it's like, what is the f*cking point? I've had farts that have lasted longer than his Saints career.

Pleased to hear he didn't get a good reception but still don't understand why Chamberlain (and Walcott) do. Neither deserve it and both left us at the first chance they got just like Chambers.

Walcott left when the club was going nowhere except down and heading for bankruptcy, there was no future for him with us, he needed to go, I understood that (sadly) even at the time. When Oxlade left we were on the rise and he could have had a future with us but he was a lad under Dad's ambitious control, so I don't blame him either. But Chambers did it just for money and ambition, he could have got to the top with us. But it turns out we are better without any of them COYR

shows the grounding we gave them which, in my opinion, is one of the reasons our Academy is so successful, attitude off the pitch is focused on as much as ability on it. Theo especially epitomises this and I hope one day we can persuade him to "come home".

A mate of mine did some media work at Arsenal last week. I don't think it's any coincidence that the players happiest to spend time chatting to them were the 3 ex-Saints.

Walcott left when the club was going nowhere except down and heading for bankruptcy, there was no future for him with us, he needed to go, I understood that (sadly) even at the time. When Oxlade left we were on the rise and he could have had a future with us but he was a lad under Dad's ambitious control, so I don't blame him either. But Chambers did it just for money and ambition, he could have got to the top with us. But it turns out we are better without any of them COYR

Well said.

No problem with the Chambers booing. I felt for him as a young man, but not as a millionaire footballer who didn't see his future at SFC.

This is the first time many had come across a defector so he got both barrels, exorcising the summer of hurt.

What annoyed me more was a ***** in front of me singing 'oh Robin Van Persie' as a response to the Arsenal fans singing to Carzorla, a few people even joined in with him. Saying that one was an obvious simpleton and the other was a drunk women who would have sang 'I wanna be fu#ked by my granddad' if it had a catchy tune. Another **** thought he would counter Arsenals 'stand up if you hate Tottenham' with 'stand up if you love Tottenham' ffs.

Booing of Chambers is nothing compared with those two village idiots.

Did you get them home safely, sounds like a handful.;)