• Davis, S
    • Schneiderlin
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Long
    • Cork
    • Targett

Not warm to pelle and tadic was poor you must be utterly clueless.

Ironic coming from you Roger.

Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with your opinion that they must be clueless. If you think Tadic was having a good game in the first half yesterday then it is you my friend that must be clueless. As I said, much better in the second half when he played on the left.

How can you not warm to Pelle? He's everything you want in a target man. Can you tell me exactly what you think he should be doing? He wins a fair bit in the air as well, holds it and brings others into the game.
Exactly. His game isn't perfect, but he comes across as likeable and hard working lad, well integrated member of the team, and has cracked in a fair few goals for us - I genuinely can't see why anyone wouldn't take to him.

basically, we were not perfect yesterday, then?

Far from it. But we were still good enough to beat a QPR side who were much better than was to be expected from the form book. We were hanging on in the second half, and it was very tense while it was 2-1, we should have killed the game off. As I said I thought we looked jaded after the midweek efforts when we looked very very good indeed. Nothing wrong with that, its what happens when you play twice in a week especially when the midweek game is a high intensity one like Arsenal was. Rangers didn't play midweek and looked mush fresher as a result, fortunately they are not as good as us and so we still overcame them, but they were not exactly a pushover.

No he isn't. He is not very good in the air at all, at times seems more interested in making sure his hair is not out of place. As my daughter puts it, he is a bit of a pansy, is rather afraid of getting stuck in. Yesterday he was quite poor, but redeemed himself by scoring a top quality goal. A few flashes of good link up play, but very little else to be honest. Sorry, if my opinion of him is not the same as yours, not sure why I have to tell you what I think he should be doing, I think it was clear in my original post.
He gets stuck in plenty, as much as most centre forwards do anyway. It wasn't particularly clear in your original post what he should be doing to be honest.

Why is it that if someone doesn't agree with your opinion that they must be clueless. If you think Tadic was having a good game in the first half yesterday then it is you my friend that must be clueless. As I said, much better in the second half when he played on the left.

Seen Tadic play better that's for sure - his crossing was the most frustrating part of his game yesterday. Alot of underhit crosses.

Exactly. His game isn't perfect, but he comes across as likeable and hard working lad, well integrated member of the team, and has cracked in a fair few goals for us - I genuinely can't see why anyone wouldn't take to him.

Opinions differ, these are two qualities that I fail to see in him. However, he has a good touch on the ground, links up play well, and scores goals a plenty. I don't dislike the guy, just not going to be a great favourite of mine as things stand.

Opinions differ, these are two qualities that I fail to see in him. However, he has a good touch on the ground, links up play well, and scores goals a plenty. I don't dislike the guy, just not going to be a great favourite of mine as things stand.
Ok, fine, apart from our new striker having a good touch on the ground, linking play well and scoring plenty, you haven't taken to him, glad we've established that :lol:

Jeez, your criteria for a striker must be totally beyond the realms of reality. You've just listed out all attributes which any supporter would want to see in a target man, yet you don't like him. Very odd, but entitled to your opinion.

Last 30 mins was as gooda centre forward performance from a saints Ayer I've seen for a while.

Duncan, I kept an eye on Pelle throughout and you are correct he did not win many back to goal but what I did notice was that his presence meant the centre back could head the ball up and slightly forward and another Saints midfielder picked up the loose ball. It has the same effect as him winning the ball.

Fair observation Ron, point taken

Has he ****ged your missus or something as the bloke is a proper centre forward?

Edited by View From The Top

Think the euphoria of winning 6 on the trot is getting to some. Really enjoying being 2nd, but in all honesty yesterday we looked jaded after the midweek game, though Fonte might have been regretting cancelling the day off for the team. Thought Tadic was quite poor but improved when he switched to the left when Mane went off. Pelle's goal was fantastic, but he is a player I cannot warm to at the moment, seems to be playing primarily for himself, and is poor at winning headers. Mane is exciting, no doubt, looks like the player Mayuka should have been, but sometimes it seems like he doesn't actually know where he is going with the ball. I am a big fan of Morgan, bu thought he was very average yesterday, though he was key in our first goal intercepting their clearance and turning it into attack. As usual this season we play quite poorly for much of the 1st half, then it seems Ron fires the guys up and we come out much better. Hopefully we will have got this sorted by the time we play any of the top teams. So good stuff so far, but really could do better. Still ****es me off how bad we were against WBA.

Don't think I've disagreed so much with one paragraph, since Barry Sanchez got kicked off here.

Don't care how well Pelle plays, his job ultimately is to score goals and if he's anonymous for 90 minutes but scores 15+ goals this season then he's doing his job perfectly.

Don't think I've disagreed so much with one paragraph, since Barry Sanchez got kicked off here etc etc etc....

Back from an epic weekend in Southampton. It was my best mate's 40th birthday party, the trailblazer for our school year. Birthday boy booked tickets in Itchen North with the international crew. Had a couple of pints in the Farmhouse beforehand, before taking a slow and chilled walk down to St. Marys. Very much enjoyed Itchen North this time around. The thumping of Newcastle was somewhat dampened by the presence of a twitchy Geordie in the seat next to me trying to suppress his emotions all game. All Saints fans around yesterday, which made for an excellent atmosphere. More on that later.

Mane is going to be a huge success here. Buzzes all over the place and creates; the backheel for Bertrand's goal was glorious, and he'd already created loads of (spurned) opportunities for others beforehand. We all know what the best moment of that game was, but I really want to pay complement to Bertrand's goal, performance and post-match interview. Seems to be a determined and committed player, which is a testament to the harmony that seems to have emerged under Koeman's tenure.

Charlie Austin's goal was excellent. I might have clapped if I hadn't been transfixed by the writhing mass of QPR fans giving it large over to my right. They swiftly told us we weren't singing anymore. Immediate counter-chanting from Itchen North and Northam. Pelle's goal came right at the end of it, the stadium exploding with noise as it went in. I saw it in glorious HD (without beanstalk obstructed view) tonight. It's the stuff of wonder. We have wonder-makers in this team, and it's only a matter of time and refinement before Tadic starts finding the net more frequently.

We are presently defying the odds, as Gary Lineker remarked on Match of the Day. Let's be honest; almost everyone, Saints fans included, expect a descent out of nosebleed territory. That may well happen. We're little fish on big points right now, but thar be sharks in these waters! Chelsea and Man City are plainly scary, capable of destroying most teams in ten minutes. Both sets of scousers can be pleased with a bit of defensive development today, and not losing. Can see both of them building on that. Arsenal get top 4 every year. Strong teams. Let's not have our head in the clouds, etc, etc.

That said, can't help thinking that this is a unique opportunity. Only six games, but what a platform to build on. Spurs away. Sunderland and Stoke at home. Our fans have been excellent when there's a bit of needle involved. Spurs will give us that. The two home games that follow are going to be crucial. The players have been praising the fans, saying that the support inspires them. Maybe they're merely paying lip service, but I don't think so, Pelle especially. Maybe all those smirking pundits will get their wish and witness our plummet down the table once we meet the bigger boys, but if there was ever a time to stand up, sing and support the Saints, this is it - no matter where you sit.

Fans were in great voice on Saturday, had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up at times. Thought Wanyama was phenomenal, just got the impression he was playing at the top of his game for a place in the team - I don't remember anyone getting the ball off him the whole time he was on the pitch, even when he was being challenged by two or three QPR players!

Mané at one point in the first half showed one of the best first touches I have ever seen to bring a long ball down. What a team, and what a goal from Pelle.

Harry, give us a twitch? Harry, harry, give us a twitch!

Bah, they all want to buy Clyne & Morgan and occasionally Wanyama. They all seem to believe we'll sell as well.

Somebody posted that we hate them. I'm not sure that's entirely right now. After all, we have to be extremely grateful that they were so profligate with their cash and massively overpaid for those players who we replaced with better alternatives.

And now they have their hearts set on another four or five of them. As one wag said, why don't they just take over the club and have done with it? One morning if this continues, they might wake up and realise that the one individual we possess who would make the most positive difference to their fortunes, is not one of our players, but our manager.

I enjoyed that, my first game of the season, but it wasn't good for the old nerves. We should have capitalised on more of our chances and QPR were a whisker away from an equaliser. But like the Swansea win, these are the kind of games we'd have been drawing in the past.

Mané looked good, but I hope there's more to come from him. I'm surprised so many people went for Pellé as MOTM though, as worldy aside I thought he was quiet in parts. Wanyama was heading for my MOTM until his substitution as he was winning everything in the first half but overall I thought Steven Davis was brilliant all game, and could quite possibly have scored a brace.

Overall, happy with the win, six wins in six. Bring on Spurs.

Have to agree with this, he seemed everywhere, such a fantastic tidy player, no whinging, no moaning just does his job brilliantly week in week out

Some of the chants to Harry were hilarious although I thought one of them crossed the line of bad taste. The midweek win at Arsenal did take a bit out of us so impressive to get the win. Difficult to think of many better goals that you will see live than Pelle's, Mane's wonderful backheel/flick for Bertrand's goal has been somewhat overshadowed by Pelle and Austin's wondergoals which is a pity, great awareness. The first half bookings did mean we had to walk a tightrope when Zamora and Hoilett came on, why the latter wasn't selected ahead of Matt Phillips only Redknapp can answer. We did drop too deep after scoring the first but I do agree with Koeman's plan around not pressing quite so high up the pitch as last season - it does seem to be giving our players an extra 5-10% towards the end of games.

I just popped onto that Sportsclubstats site (remember it?) over a cup of coffee. I see that the result increased our chances of winning the title by 3.2%, and more importantly reduced 'Arry's chances of staying up by 4.1%

Every little helps.

No he isn't. He is not very good in the air at all, at times seems more interested in making sure his hair is not out of place. As my daughter puts it, he is a bit of a pansy, is rather afraid of getting stuck in. Yesterday he was quite poor, but redeemed himself by scoring a top quality goal. A few flashes of good link up play, but very little else to be honest. Sorry, if my opinion of him is not the same as yours, not sure why I have to tell you what I think he should be doing, I think it was clear in my original post.

He's won more aerial duels than anyone else in the league this year. As said on the forum before, you can have your own opinions, but not your own facts.

On saturday his hold up play was great, trapping the ball well with his head, feet and chest. He has a good touch for a big man, good finish most of the time and, his distribution on saturday was quality. Some of the balls he were pinging over their backline and into the flanks would have made Saint Rickie proud.

Were you watching a different game?

Wow. I don't think you could be more wrong.